Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tea Bone posted:

I've been replaying Yoshi's Island on Nintendo Switch Online. I've just got to world 5 and the level select screen theme music has changed to a version I've never heard before.

I've been trying to Google it but can't find anything about an alternative level select theme, does anyone know what I've done to unlock it?

A new instrument is added to the music after every world you beat.

After every two loops in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09AcGKuRTA

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Mak0rz posted:

A new instrument is added to the music after every world you beat.

After every two loops in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09AcGKuRTA

Well poo poo! Can't believe it's taken me the better part of 30 years to notice this.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

BBQ Dave posted:

I have some old comics I'm thinking about selling, is there a place on the forums I can ask what they're worth?

There’s a sub forum called BSS: Bisexual Super Son and it’s entirely for comics so I’d start there

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there a phone buying recommendation thread the way there is one for cars and laptops? My phone is finally giving up the ghost.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a phone buying recommendation thread the way there is one for cars and laptops? My phone is finally giving up the ghost.

Recommend me a phone and/or plan, but my personal experience is that the phone I was recommended in that thread (Pixel 6a) is a piece of poo poo that I wish I hadn't bought.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What's the difference between thread-lock and glue? Is it just a special kind of glue?

BennyProfane
Apr 19, 2023

by vyelkin
It is indeed a special type of glue that works with the electrochemistry of the metal it's put on to cure without oxygen in the spot it's screwed in.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why is tea sold in boxes of 72 and 144? Those seem like strange numbers

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

welll 144 is a dozen dozen and 72 is half-a-dozen dozen. think that's probably playing a part here.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

144 is called a gross. Why tea I wouldn't know.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Tiggum posted:

Recommend me a phone and/or plan, but my personal experience is that the phone I was recommended in that thread (Pixel 6a) is a piece of poo poo that I wish I hadn't bought.

Thanks for the guidance, sorry about your phone.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, that's the recommendation I got too. Guess I dodged a bullet by being given an iphone.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 27, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 and it removed all my Start Menu pinned programs (which is irritating) and Windows 11 has pinned literally every single app. Is there a quicker way to remove the pinned apps or do I have to click through hundreds of apps and individually right click > remove from pinned?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

What's the difference between thread-lock and glue? Is it just a special kind of glue?

thread-lock means you can't post in the thread anymore, glue is a sticky substance made from horses

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Hoping someone can help me find a link to the YouTube montage video that was made during a ThornBrain let's Play of Sleeping Dogs, where he was wearing the yellow Bruce Lee jumpsuit, and doing the leg break move to the track "Wutang clan ain't nuthin to gently caress wit"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

I have a 6a and it's been fantastic. :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

thread-lock means you can't post in the thread anymore, glue is a sticky substance made from horses

But I thought we took the star away from the horse?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

who are some famous movie or tv characters that are just flat out, impossibly rude? like, foul-mouthed, ill-mannered, treats everyone with complete disrespect, especially anyone trying to serve them. yells and goes nuts anytime anyone tries to stop them.

they just feel totally above everything else.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Al swearnegen from deadwood is your man.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Hyperlynx posted:

There's also different types of thread locker, basically "won't rattle loose but you can still bust it with a wrench", "this things staying put, but if you heat it with a torch it will come free", and "gently caress you, may as well have been welded"

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

who are some famous movie or tv characters that are just flat out, impossibly rude? like, foul-mouthed, ill-mannered, treats everyone with complete disrespect, especially anyone trying to serve them. yells and goes nuts anytime anyone tries to stop them.

Wahlberg in The Departed
R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket
Walter in The Big Lebowski

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

Would Joffrey from Game of Thrones count or is he too obviously "this character is here for you to hate"?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

joffrey doesn't quite work because he has immense power. this is more, like, someone who is really just an average person who thinks they are the greatest and deserve everything.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BennyProfane posted:

It is indeed a special type of glue that works with the electrochemistry of the metal it's put on to cure without oxygen in the spot it's screwed in.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Captain Monkey posted:

That makes sense. Thanks!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

joffrey doesn't quite work because he has immense power. this is more, like, someone who is really just an average person who thinks they are the greatest and deserve everything.

Bender from Futurama mostly fits

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Bender from Futurama mostly fits

https://i.imgur.com/zBGyRbW.gifv

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm reading an Oliver Sacks book and he's mentioned Dominic fyytche a couple of times now. I haven't seen a last name that uses the Roman alphabet but doesn't have any capitalization. Is this form common somewhere? I did a little searching but didn't turn up where ffytche is from.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

hooah posted:

I'm reading an Oliver Sacks book and he's mentioned Dominic fyytche a couple of times now. I haven't seen a last name that uses the Roman alphabet but doesn't have any capitalization. Is this form common somewhere? I did a little searching but didn't turn up where ffytche is from.

It's a Welsh thing, I was similarly confused by a book that had a character whose last name was "ffrench". No idea if a double-f sounds different.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When I was in highschool (in Victoria but I'm guessing it's probably pretty standard across Australia?) there'd be elections each year for the Student Representative Council. I don't recall ever hearing a single thing about them outside of those elections though - and even at elections I had no idea why we were voting for them or what they did. So what did they do? What was that about?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

School prefects help organise the lovely school dance and a maybe a few other things in our NSW school. I don't think it was much more than resume fodder for suck ups though.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It may scratch this itch.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Idly watching a speedrun of a skateboarding game got me wondering: what do skate parks with those big bowl thingies do about rainwater? Do IRL ones have drains in the bottom?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is there anything I should know about the Galaxy A14 before I buy one? How is the screen in sunlight?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spi0Skrdi1A

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

or randall in clerks

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BBQ Dave posted:

I have some old comics I'm thinking about selling, is there a place on the forums I can ask what they're worth?

As stated above BSS general questions is a good resource, but in general, they are probably not worth much. Unless you happen to have something "pivotal", rare and popular.

If you want a quick estimate, check ebay and see if the selected issues are there and what others have paid for.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm trying to remember a PC game I played in the late 80s (possibly early 90s). It was a space adventure game where you were in a spaceship and went about exploring planets and gathering stuff. Your instruments would tell you about the planet's temperature, gravity, etc. If it were hospitable, you could land and explore. Sometimes, you would not get any readings, so, if you wanted to take a chance, you could land but would probably die when you realized the planet had 10x gravity.

I want to say it was Planetfall, but the description doesn't ring a bell.

Any clues?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Could it have been Star Control II, by any chance? Even if it isn't, if you want to play a space game from that era, go check out The Ur-Quan Masters, which is an authorized rebuild of the game to enable it to run on modern systems.

Also, check out the remember a game thread if you don't get your answer here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm trying to remember a PC game I played in the late 80s (possibly early 90s). It was a space adventure game where you were in a spaceship and went about exploring planets and gathering stuff. Your instruments would tell you about the planet's temperature, gravity, etc. If it were hospitable, you could land and explore. Sometimes, you would not get any readings, so, if you wanted to take a chance, you could land but would probably die when you realized the planet had 10x gravity.

I want to say it was Planetfall, but the description doesn't ring a bell.

Any clues?

Sounds like Starflight?

Looks like gog.com has it (and the sequel) for a buck fifty, if that's the one and you feel like revisiting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The videos for Danny Elfman's 'Gratitude' and Genesis's 'Jesus He Knows Me' both make visual reference to televangelism by a set with a light blue backdrop with wood toned furniture and tropical plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_nDVjykgDk&t=43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-rfCnW5VlE&t=51s

Was this in reference to a particular televangelist, or was this just kind of what it all looked like in the late 80s?

e: or... are all churches (of a certain type?) blue? i've never been inside a church