Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

chaleski posted:

I bought one Switch, six years ago
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

chaleski posted:

My launch Switch had the fan break and then the casing busted. It’s basically unusable at this point, so buying the OLED was the right move at the time.

Buying a second OLED because it’s Zelda-themed is just stupid. I’m an idiot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The OLED..... ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would buy an OLED lite because I am dumb as hell and want a true vita successor

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Owning $1,700+ worth of Switches... not bad, gamer...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

chaleski posted:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

1080 Snowboarding is coming to Switch Online sometime soon.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

Owning $1,700+ worth of Switches... not bad, gamer...

switch collecting as a hobby

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

mandatory lesbian posted:

He is literally one of the most broken co's and they like...didnt appear to nerf him at all????

They're keeping it to how the COs originally were in the original games so of course he wasn't nerfed.

But he's so fun to use just to spam units and get a force going. Used him for Factory Blues! and Neotanks!? and had a lot of fun with blitzing through them earlier than intended thanks to his cheapo costs. Being able to divert Lash's attention by having infantry capture the Airport on the west front in Neotanks!?, and build Battle Copters to further keep her focused on that airport, and also using missiles to cripple her early fundraising and early army + her laboratory bodyguards, all so I can get Tanks and an APC into position to kill the bodyguards and storm the lab, then simultaneously build a wall using my tanks against Lash's main base while she tries in vain to break through it to stop my lone infantry from capturing it and win the mission. Factory Blues! meanwhile was getting up too the middle as soon as possible so his force could act as a buffer against Lash's forces while I gradually built up the Blue Moon main force until I could block the factory doors with mine and Andy's forces, cripple Lash's economy further by gradually capturing buildings, then start spamming Bombers (because I had gotten a large fund build-up by that point) to ensure Lash's units were killed as she build them + destroying the pipe seam. Easy and fun max score S-Ranks.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
*Zeppeli looking up at Dio* You monster! How many 3090s did you hoard to mine those coins?

*Dio laughs* Oh-ho! How many Switches have you bought in your life?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I bought the Pokemon OLED recently because the launch one dropped from a table and since then the fan made nasty noises so I bought it and haven't regret it.

...that said I should loving link the old side accounts to my main account so I can transfer the saves to the OLED instead of leaving the old Switch around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

chaleski posted:

:hai:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I would buy an OLED lite because I am dumb as hell and want a true vita successor

but this is OK

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

VideoGames posted:

Met and defeated Dragaux last night in world 1 of Ring Fit. Then did the next two levels.

:hellyeah: Let's do this together, friend! Currently on Level 4 right now.

chaleski posted:

Same, but three years ago (it's the Animal Crossing one). :kiddo:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I like my Switch but I am not spending $350 on hardware from a decade ago.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Good Sphere posted:

I got Rain World, and drat is that game brutal, and never thought it would be. You have to find food, and make your way to a chamber before the world floods. It looks you in there for 3 months, and if you did not eat enough food you either starve to death or come out starving. Everything is out to kill you running the entire game world in real time. That is, unless you figure out how to make friends with them.

I gave up this one and wish I hadn't, but I've tried like 5 times now and I just have no idea what to do or where to go so I just stop. Some videos help out but even then.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

chaleski posted:

Quoting this while I can, because I finally pulled the trigger on an OLED coming this week.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Waffle! posted:

1080 Snowboarding is coming to Switch Online sometime soon.

One of my favorite games of all time

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bleh, how the hell am I supposed to wait another two weeks for TotK?

Doing a replay of Link's Awakening on the GB app, still a solid game! Not my favorite, but still arguably the best GB game of all time. For a Game Boy game it's pretty polished (there's definitely jank and glitches of course, but still pretty refined for a Game Boy game) and still manages to expand and improve on elements from LttP, while still having its own unique mechanics to this day. Really impressive game.

Think I'll try to do a playthrough of either Zelda 2 or Minish Cap next, and by then it'll be close enough to TotK.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

I like my Switch but I am not spending $350 on hardware from a decade ago.

Not just once. Spending $350 on it three times

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have bought four.

One for me
A lite for my kid
A lite for my nephew(or maybe a full one I don't remember)
An OLED for me

I have bought two extra docks, one for a club I sponsored, one to use because my original was autographed by the voice actors for Zelda and Mario so on display

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My launch switch is still working fine but I had some extra gift cards laying around and wanted a new toy to play totk on, heck yeas. Gotta take a few hours and switch the white joycon shells with the neon green ones I picked up for some true next level gaming.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I gave up this one and wish I hadn't, but I've tried like 5 times now and I just have no idea what to do or where to go so I just stop. Some videos help out but even then.

That’s the type of game it seems. You need to try 50 times and really get a feel for it, and how you interact with the world will make every game different. Not sure if I want to subject myself to that, and the fear that comes with running back to a hibernation compartment to survive every time it floods.

I try to see it from the developers point of view where they got bored of so many other forms of gameplay, and settled with this, but they may not have considered slowly introducing the player to these things, instead of right away and so harshly.

Still, it may be a like a great book that’s hard to understand, unless you give yourself a lot of exposure to it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

BisterdDave posted:

Started playing Octopath Traveler 2 last night, and I'm curious to see if the battle system clicks with me. Any beginner tips that would help early on?

Weird, I played through the demo yesterday and went out to buy it on sale today. Killer game!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I have a launch-era Switch, that became my son's when I upgraded to OLED, then my daughter got a Lite for Christmas.

So I've bought three but I feel like I'm getting extended value on the old one

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Started playing Octopath Traveler 2 last night, and I'm curious to see if the battle system clicks with me. Any beginner tips that would help early on?

Main tip I have is to find the guilds for each class and use them to find the shrines. They're both important and I got lazy and missed several shrines til near the end and was kicking myself about it.

Also failing to mug someone as Osvald doesn't hurt your rep in town so feel free to be ambitious with that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I own an original launch day Switch, and a launch day Switch OLED that I got for free because Target made a mistake.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I also purchased the season pass for Xenoblade 3, the story DLC is really good. Xenoblade 3 is one of my favorite Nintendo games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I said come in! posted:

I also purchased the season pass for Xenoblade 3, the story DLC is really good. Xenoblade 3 is one of my favorite Nintendo games.

Do you feel full of beans when you play it?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Good Sphere posted:

That’s the type of game it seems. You need to try 50 times and really get a feel for it, and how you interact with the world will make every game different. Not sure if I want to subject myself to that, and the fear that comes with running back to a hibernation compartment to survive every time it floods.

I try to see it from the developers point of view where they got bored of so many other forms of gameplay, and settled with this, but they may not have considered slowly introducing the player to these things, instead of right away and so harshly.

Still, it may be a like a great book that’s hard to understand, unless you give yourself a lot of exposure to it.

You may be right, but I remember reading Infinite Jest and being wholly underwhelmed by it. I'm not going to re-read it though to see what I missed, it's not worth it. I think that's what may be happening here. Each time someone talks to me about it they make it sound like there's a ton of stuff going under the hood, but I don't feel like I see much of it and am just confused constantly. I hope you get something out of it though.

Mega64 posted:

Bleh, how the hell am I supposed to wait another two weeks for TotK?

Yeah I realized this and despite wanting to buy FE: Engage I decided I should wait. So I've just finished beating Neon White (fantastic little arcade speed platformer) and really neat to knuckle down and finish Omori. Then MAYBE I'll get Engage (or Octopath 2) if I need some downtime from TotK but I really doubt that'll happen. I'll definitely be spending my last voucher on Engage though, the question is now when.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
More importantly, how many switch 2s are you going to buy

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I got my Switch as a gift, but I’m sure I’ve paid for it several times over in all the games and accessories I’ve bought

Fake edit: oh and I almost forgot I bought my mom a switch lolol

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I bought 3 switches, two in two weeks after I got drunk and lost two at the airport on two trips.

I shouldn't buy handhelds, I never lost a PS5

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I said come in! posted:

The music is some of the best I've ever heard in a videogame. Like chrono cross level good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I only have two Switches, my launch one and the OLED.

I'm sorry.

e: Technically I've bought three, but the third was basically so my brother could have one for his birthday back when they were still hard to find in 2017, and he paid me back for it. I did give him my physical copy of BotW as a gift though, which gave me the excuse of buying it digital.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 27, 2023

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
It is really a testament to how much of a sham the Game Awards are that God of War won best OST over Xenoblade 3.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

The music is some of the best I've ever heard in a videogame. Like chrono cross level good

Is it Xenoblade Chronicles 1 level good?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

More importantly, how many switch 2s are you going to buy

Nintendo's next console is going to be impossible to get ahold of, so i'll be lucky to have even half of one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You guys are all making me feel much better about my financial decisions, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My launch Switch was a gift from my wife. She sort of resented me for getting an OLED since the first had been a gift, but then she got to use it on her own and it was good.

I've kept the launch one with the hopes of hacking it one day.