Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The USN famously hated the OHP because it was good and cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

Then Medicare Medicaid forces you to sell all your property to pay for it so any children banking on still being able to live in/inherit the home goes out the window

You don't even need to wind up in a nursing home to have medicaid claw back your assets after you die; anyone over age 55 who's on medicaid & has received medical care is ripe for state liens on their property.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

honestly amazed neither of you didn't get Probe'd for even acknowledging this, considering... yknow.. *points to all the Ukraine threads*

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Cut m&ms for a $70 billion stock buyback smfh

Lmfao :guillotine:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Ukraine in the membrane. thank you I'll be here all night.:shepface:

... but seriously NATO got they got what they wanted

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

shackleford posted:

why should i underwrite my bank's interest rate gambling with my savings when i can stare directly into the reactor core and invest in the safest securities in the history of the world, the ones that are backed by the full faith and credit of the united states government. the only way i could possibly lose money on these short term U.S. government securities would be if the treasury defaulted on its obligations

yes that is the best place for money now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

honestly amazed neither of you didn't get Probe'd for even acknowledging this, considering... yknow.. *points to all the Ukraine threads*

Cspam Ukraine thread wouldn't do that. D&D wouldn't either I would think.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

you see when you call it the Whale Economy instead of regular M-C-M' capitalism it means inequalities have reached a special historical inflection point whereby the system will devour itself and usher in a new era of social relations

SomethingsomethingContango

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Cspam Ukraine thread wouldn't do that. D&D wouldn't either I would think.

that's because the cspam one is the "pOoP jOkE" one while the other is for "serious, pragmatic, rationalREAD: the exact same monstrously idiotic opinions as an unpaid AEI Intern" discussion, remember? If one were to post that there they would get immediately dogpiled. Lets just be brutally honest here.

im going to stop because i don't want to get a Sixer

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Apr 27, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

that's because the cspam one is the "pOoP jOkE" one while the other is for "serious, pragmatic, rationalREAD: the exact same monstrously idioic opinions as an unpaid AEI Intern" discussion, remember? If one were to post that there they would get immediately dogpiled. Lets just be brutally honest here.

im going to stop because i don't want to get a Sixer

Dude relax a little bit. You aren't going to get put on probation and even if you did 6 hours is nothing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

err posted:

I live in a pretty poor area and they have off duty police doing security for bonus $. The security guard in the parking lot has a gun and a plate carrier.

Its a matter of time before these guys get targeted for ambushes to sell that gear.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Its a matter of time before these guys get targeted for ambushes to sell that gear.

idk that’s got a really bad risk/reward ratio. if you’re desperately poor trying to steal stuff of value, cars, commercial buildings/warehouses and empty homes are way easier and lower risk targets.

the beat stick wielding arm of capital is way safer than the rest of us

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

Oh yeah, it utterly ruined my mom's finances, and the financial help I had to give her also set me back by miles during those 10+ years. People really underestimate what elder care is like if you aren't in a situation where you're dealing with two relatively healthy and active parents and instead dealing with someone who needs around-the-clock care for a decade or more.

I'm starting to notice way too many of my friends getting blindsided by this after years of "that won't happen to my parents"

I just don't know a way around it. I know it's coming, but what the hell can people do when they are barely getting by on the expenses now, let alone a new rent payment that's triple even major metro rent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1651680746954715136?t=98ylUHNZxSNHHo88g9IuhQ&s=19

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

China Industrial Profits Fall 21.4% in Q3

"Profits earned by China's industrial firms dropped by 21.4% yoy to CNY 1,516.74 billion in the first three months of 2023, as factory activity struggled to recover from the plunge caused by pandemic disruptions. Profits fell at both state-owned firms and the private sector."

woah that's huge. what does that look like compared to the historical average? oh.

lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, it sucks, and likely is the cause of more boomer financial woes and second mortgages than funding extravagant and indulgent consumption habits so oh well.

Queue the boomer apologia.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

idk that’s got a really bad risk/reward ratio. if you’re desperately poor trying to steal stuff of value, cars, commercial buildings/warehouses and empty homes are way easier and lower risk targets.

the beat stick wielding arm of capital is way safer than the rest of us

Sure but with the everyone but the rich getting crushed those houses are going to be pretty sparse.

I wouldn't be surprised to see groups of people ambush one of those guards for gear. I am surprised the homeless haven't done it yet because I think they are the most harmed by those guard's presence.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

drat even Harley Davidson is beating earnings estimates

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1651679009862742049

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Azuth0667 posted:

Queue the boomer apologia.

Cue

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

market up almost 2% today lol everything is fine nothin' to see here

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Azuth0667 posted:

youll just have more dudes looking like this ready to blast anyone that steps out of line

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

coelomate posted:

market up almost 2% today lol everything is fine nothin' to see here

i mean from the market's perspective, things ARE looking good. bad economic news make it more likely that the Fed will stop hiking rates

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Powell said fed is pausing after may

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

err posted:

youll just have more dudes looking like this ready to blast anyone that steps out of line

Wizards of the Coast ain't no bitches!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/FOX5Atlanta/status/1650658555429634048?t=gaArSk9-72A35s5059iheQ&s=19

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Meta is surging, Amazon is surging, Alphabet is surging

The economy is back, baby

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Living in America is a minefield no matter what generational cohort you are from

That being said, boomers laid the mines so people are gonna be up they rear end about it

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Reagan was a boomer?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Reagan was a boomer?

No but a LOT of them voted him in.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Reagan was a boomer?

It’s boomers all the way down my dear

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

drat Rutherford B. Hayes a boomer too huh

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Willa Rogers posted:

I went to care for my mom for the last few months of her life, and the cross-country moves + an xer sib who looted her estate left me homeless at age almost-60.

it took trump's second covid stimulus 6 years later till I was able to pay off the last of my debts accrued from those few months, and that was after drawing down most of my meager IRA to live on.

(so yeah, I get a lil tetchy about generational caricatures that don't match up with reality, especially when they come from people who self-ID as "leftists")

this is what my dad did, except for over a decade (as the grandmother in question had alzheimers and both had other health problems)

his siblings just sold the home out from under him a bit ago now that the grandparents are safely dead so he's homeless and driving across the country to visit people he knows now that what had basically been his life's work is over, afaik

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

whew!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

We’re back baby, stick is at $118 after hours

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

drat Rutherford Boomer. Hayes a boomer too huh

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

here at amazon were suffering greatly and are going to go ahead and fire a few more thousands workers

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

we made somewhere between 2 and 5 billion. really, who'se counting?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Record profits and we get to drive down tech salaries? Another win for the good guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Ammanas posted:

not tax fraud if its all declared but you have to pay a tax penatly to compensate for the discount (so basically you lose the discount)

nah you can get it appraised at whatever value you want. worst case if you still think it's too high have some black friends be there to greet the appraiser, that's an easy 30% off the value.

Paradoxish posted:

You need to pay anyway. My grandmother lived with my mom essentially until her death (the last 5-6 months were unavoidably spent in various rehab/nursing facilities) and there was no way to avoid having in-house care for 50-60 hours per week because she couldn't be alone, the alternative would have been a nursing home. Dealing with someone who had dementia also meant getting basically no sleep, which had some really horrific impacts on my mom's health and overall quality of life.

End of life care is extremely hard and extremely costly and not something that most families or individuals can manage on their own.

yeah do not ever do this, it's brutal and your reward is constant misery for everyone involved.

caring for my grandmother killed my mother, and losing both of them made my dad depressed to the point he ballooned up and had a stroke and lol now i have to care for him and it's going to kill me too. and the state still gets everything in the end because gently caress you that's why, lol.

Harik has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Apr 27, 2023