Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

MillennialVulcan posted:

But then again, same movie, bringing back Cushing as Tarkin for a cameo after he's been dead 25 years felt ghoulish.

Cushing as Tarkin felt especially ghoulish because he looked like an actual ghoul born from a haunted PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I’ve got a great idea for our new Rogue One movie, what if we put in a bunch of uncanny valley scenes to trigger existential dread in the audience?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zaroff posted:

Was Cushman the guy behind those 3 TOS behind the scenes books which came out some 10-15 years ago and were filled with nonsense?

That's him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nessus posted:

drat, I guess that’s the last word right there. It’s fortunate that it’s so exactly analogous to modern computers too.

it's not tbh because we don't know how much of the mind is stored physically and how much is the "OS" or whatever. like I said we have no idea what happens if you manage to restart the process of a mind after it's completely stopped, or whether that's even possible. it could be that to stop a mind you'd have to damage it so that a new process could never be restarted.

CainFortea posted:

yea nah if my substrate it totally destroyed and an exact copy is made i'm still the exact same person when I wake up after being remade because from my perspective i'm exactly the same and my perspective is the only one that matters.

I mean this is also true from the perspective of your backup and they should be treated as such but the initial version will still be dead.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Cushing as Tarkin felt especially ghoulish because he looked like an actual ghoul born from a haunted PS4.

Setting aside the morality of it for a second I thought the Fake Moff Tarkin bit worked visually cause they did kind of ham it up with the shadows and stuff. He did look unsettling. As he should, since he's a monster.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the initial version will still be dead.

Nah. I'd still be the original because I'm still me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fisher was still alive for Rogue One but around the time of ep8 she died (probably from watching it lol), so they were up poo poo creek because they already killed off Han and Luke. So in an effort to give the literal dead woman some presence, they fired up carrie_fisher_1983.exe again for a flashback in ep 9. That’s probably where people got confused

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also, Peter Cushing was Frankenstein so I like to believe he'd have been completely on board with being a Digital Frankenstein Monster.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CainFortea posted:

it'd only matter to that other guy but they're dead now (and they were a jerk so gently caress em)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it's not tbh because we don't know how much of the mind is stored physically and how much is the "OS" or whatever. like I said we have no idea what happens if you manage to restart the process of a mind after it's completely stopped, or whether that's even possible. it could be that to stop a mind you'd have to damage it so that a new process could never be restarted.

I mean this is also true from the perspective of your backup and they should be treated as such but the initial version will still be dead.
Monks stop thinking all the time! Don’t worry the ego comes back. It’s a resilient thing. Of course you could get into circular logic— coming back with continuity after stopped thought means you never had stopped thought. But then you must define thought.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CainFortea posted:

Can we loving not relitigate the whole "the transporter kills you every time and makes a new copy" thing again? I swear to God, it comes up twice a year and it is the most exhausting thing to read.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I don’t think Tarkin worked visually but I guess I have a hypertuned sensitivity to uncanny valley poo poo that I don’t think most people experience since I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cgi replacement that didn’t ick me out.

I think you either need to go all real humans or all fake humans for any movie with humans. If you put a fake person in a scene with real people it’s incredibly distracting and uncomfortable to watch. How am I supposed to pay attention to what is happening in a scene if you’ve got some cgi golem shambling around being an affront to humanity in it?

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Timby posted:

Can we loving not relitigate the whole "the transporter kills you every time and makes a new copy" thing again? I swear to God, it comes up twice a year and it is the most exhausting thing to read.

, Julian

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only two that don't bother me are Rachael in BR2049 and Clu in TR2N because my brain can easily justify their ickiness as thematically appropriate.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I don’t think Tarkin worked visually but I guess I have a hypertuned sensitivity to uncanny valley poo poo that I don’t think most people experience since I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cgi replacement that didn’t ick me out.

I think you either need to go all real humans or all fake humans for any movie with humans. If you put a fake person in a scene with real people it’s incredibly distracting and uncomfortable to watch. How am I supposed to pay attention to what is happening in a scene if you’ve got some cgi golem shambling around being an affront to humanity in it?

I mean, yes it was uncanny valley I'm just saying it worked this time because you should be icked out by him.

Also, as a counterpoint to the "everyone human or everyone not", muppet movies.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Muppets are real

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tim Curry worked well with the muppets. I believe he considered himself a muppet for the film.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Then again, Tim Curry works well with almost everything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Give him full neuro rebuild and immortality imo. We can trust Tim with humanity’s future.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nessus posted:

Tim Curry worked well with the muppets. I believe he considered himself a muppet for the film.

The line is that the two best Muppet movies are A Christmas Carol and A Muppet Treasure Island, which aside from the fact that they're both sourcing excellent Victorian stories is because Michael Caine acted as if the muppets were fellow actors, and Tim Currey acted as if he were a muppet.

You have to commit to one or the other. Don't be a person talking to muppets, that's the mistake all the others make.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MillennialVulcan posted:

Muppets are real

Sure they are, buddy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sam Eagle is an ACTOR, not a muppet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sash! posted:

Sam Eagle is an ACTOR, not a muppet.

My favourite joke in Christmas Carol is when he's talking to babby Scrooge and goes into his catchphrase, and then Gonzo-as-Dickens has to jump down and stage whisper "Uh, Sam, the story's set in England" so he corrects himself to "It is the BRITISH way!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, Muppet Game time.

You are going to reshoot Star Trek The Voyage Home.

All characters except for one are replaced by muppets. What muppet goes where and who do you keep as a human?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Okay, Muppet Game time.

All characters except for one are replaced by muppets. What muppet goes where and who do you keep as a human?

I disagree. You have to keep TWO characters as not being replaced by muppets: George and Gracie.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

I disagree. You have to keep TWO characters as not being replaced by muppets: George and Gracie.

George and Gracie did not have speaking lines so they are exempt.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arivia posted:

Since they're anamatronic they're SORTA muppets already
I'm keeping Leonard Nimoy as Spock

Kirk is Ms Piggy
McCoy is Kermit

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'd keep that punk on the bus with the boom box.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Scotty is replaced by Beaker and Honeydew.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CainFortea posted:

Setting aside the morality of it for a second I thought the Fake Moff Tarkin bit worked visually cause they did kind of ham it up with the shadows and stuff. He did look unsettling. As he should, since he's a monster.

He's in universe famous for landing his shuffle on protestors, so making him look unsettling is fine. I must admit, though, that I wasn't hit by the uncanny valley most people were. Maybe if I wore glasses into the theater.

CainFortea posted:

Okay, Muppet Game time.

I'm going to agree that both whales have to stay.

I'm going to keep thinking, but I have to admit I reallywould like to see Animal performing Kirks role with his usual "Woman! Woman!" bit.

Yes, I know Kirks lady-fever is overblown.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Janice is the lady who needs the kidney

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, I've settled on

Kermit as Kirk
Gonzo as Spock
Fozzie as McCoy
Piggie as Uhura
A Pretty Human Lady as the marine biologist
Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker as Scotty
I'm going to go with Swedish Chef as Chekhov
And, I think Sam Eagle as Sulu, but he's going to talk to George Takei.

Dr. Teeth and the electric mayhem will definitely make an appearance, and the rear end in a top hat with the boombox can be played by sweetums.

Edit: I seriously considered Mad Harry for Chekov

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Sam Eagle as Chekhov has more comic potential.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alchenar posted:

drat, you're right.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, I've settled on

Kermit as Kirk
Gonzo as Spock
Fozzie as McCoy
Piggie as Uhura

Dr. Teeth and the electric mayhem will definitely make an appearance, and the rear end in a top hat with the boombox can be played by sweetums.

Instead of Punk On Bus you could just have the electric mayhem playing on the bus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, I've settled on

Kermit as Kirk
Gonzo as Spock
Fozzie as McCoy
Piggie as Uhura

Kermit as Kirk works, because Henson always said that the idea behind The Muppet Show was that the final score was "Chaos 49, Frog 51."

Gonzo works better as Scotty in The Voyage Home, particularly with the "hello computer" bit, and I can totally hear Dave Goelz yelling, "Admiral! There be whales here!" And Gonzo was always the mad scientist of the main Muppet cast.

McCoy is absolutely Sam the Eagle.

Spock is probably ... God, I don't know that there's a good analogue there. I'm going with Scooter.

Piggy as Uhura works.

Swedish Chef as Chekov, sure.

Keep Catherine Hicks as Gillian Taylor.

Bunsen as Sulu.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 27, 2023

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Statler and Waldorf as the Federation Council

e:
We can't have you ride a desk. There's not one that'll accommodate your girdle. Do-ho-ho.
We're sending you in search of the Final Frontier...your hairline. Do-ho-ho.
Hey Chekov, that's a nice outfit...does it come with a novelty oversized sucker?

OK, this is tough; those two are at the top of their game and I'm obviously not

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 27, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

Statler and Waldorf as the Federation Council

"We need to demote that Kirk again!"
"Why?"
"I've seen better landings on a whaling barge!"
"oh oh oh oh oh"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm gonna buck here and say Spock should be played by the non-Muppet actor.

Sam the Eagle's gotta be Sarek.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm gonna buck here and say Spock should be played by the non-Muppet actor.

It was the 80s, you could probably get Leonard Nimoy to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I feel really strongly that Spock should be played by Leonard Nimoy and you can muppet the rest of the cast.

e: and this

Alchenar posted: