Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Popete posted:

I really need to subscribe to HEI Network

you really do. I have a newborn at home so my life lately is a lot of sitting around between feedings and I’ve been rewatching the whole of OCATC, and there’s so much incredible comedy that I had totally forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you really do. I have a newborn at home so my life lately is a lot of sitting around between feedings and I’ve been rewatching the whole of OCATC, and there’s so much incredible comedy that I had totally forgotten.

What's OCATC?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

drk posted:

Crypto, once again, proves it is beyond parody

https://twitter.com/jbondwagon/status/1651028363220492288

later in the thread they seem to claim to have invented delivery of beverages

gently caress... I live near Mt. Shasta. Please leave my meth addled area of bumfuck Northern California out of your stupid crypto scams. We've got enough problems... like the state of Jefferson nutters.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

What's OCATC?

On Cinema At the Cinema

https://www.heinetwork.tv/episode/the-man-with-the-iron-fists-and-flight/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1648943659033972737

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So Sri Lanka can do this, but every time I try it all I get is "Ugh Greg we broke up 3 weeks ago I'm blocking you"?!

loving double standards man

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That isn't even the first time Sri Lanka had to do something like that. They are comically in debt to the world because their government purposefully destroyed their economy and have been at the 'rip the copper from the walls' state since 2021.

Also reminds me of that bit in Parks and Rec where Andy at model UN trades away all of Finland's assets for every other country's tigers.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Viscous Soda posted:

gently caress... I live near Mt. Shasta. Please leave my meth addled area of bumfuck Northern California out of your stupid crypto scams. We've got enough problems... like the state of Jefferson nutters.

I'm sorry

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If China actually accepts it, that's a great deal for Sri Lanka because I'm pretty sure they have comical levels of surplus monkey. Strategic monkey reserve is full, basically.

But how many times can they be slurped?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
If Sri Lanka's economy collapses couldn't that lead to a worldwide rakshasa crisis?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Last time I offered to use macaque to pay a debt, they called security.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Agents are GO! posted:

"I appreciate the offer sir, but it's not sufficient."

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Something something Bored Ape

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pham Nuwen posted:

If China actually accepts it, that's a great deal for Sri Lanka because I'm pretty sure they have comical levels of surplus monkey. Strategic monkey reserve is full, basically.

But how many times can they be slurped?

A lotta y'all still don't get it. You can use multiple IMF loans on a single failed state!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

JohnCompany posted:

A lotta y'all still don't get it. You can use multiple IMF loans on a single failed state!

International Monkeying Fund

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

that headline is misleading because they haven't actually sent the macaques to china and it's not actually china but a company in china.

also the macaques are endangered and also part of hindu/buddhist culture there so there's a lot of pushback against this. the government must be desperate

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
All their macaques gone

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
don't send the apes, just make a token redeemable for one ape

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I thought Macaques was a crypto coin :cripes:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Popete posted:

My friend, it is now, and it's time to buy!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Popete posted:

Hold Macaque, matter of fact get your hands on it asap

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Elias_Maluco posted:

All their macaques gone

This is the story of the bored macacq, the pine box derby, the bitcoin track
This is the story of the bored macacq, the pine box derby, the bitcoin track
Not what I heard or saw on TV
But what I witnessed entirely
Each bend in the road was infact another curve on the bitcoin track
Once upon a time we thought we were free
And had control over destiny
We saw ourselves a competent band
Able to reason, prosper and plan
But we had a chamber up in the moon
Circumstance made us change our tune
When the veil was torn from our face
We became the bitcoins riding the race
BITCOIN!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Popete posted:

I'm glad I tricked someone.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

gongoup

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Using an endangered species as currency has got to violate some kind of treaty.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) is the big umbrella multilateral treaty that governs that sort of thing but like all treaties it's dependent on the member nations actually enacting legislation to effectuate the goals. And that legislation can be "this one time we export a ton of macaques to settle a debt" and the treaty has poo poo to say about it. Not that there's any real enforcement beyond maybe zoos in other nations being less willing to trade them tigers or whatever.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

To China hunh. So each macaque would have its sex organs dried,, ground to powder and sold as a premium "aphrodisiac". The rest of it would be sold as meat.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Coinbase has posted their Wells response, in which a lot of details on the interactions they've had with the SEC are revealed.

I skimmed through the first half and it is.... not good (for Coinbase)

quote:

The [SEC] Staff now contends that Coinbase has operated illegally since at least 2018.

[...]

The threat of imminent litigation appears to be intended to pressure Coinbase to accept demands that the Commission simply does not have the authority to order; namely, that Coinbase (i) agree that virtually all digital assets listed on Coinbase’s platform are securities; and (ii) overhaul its entire business model to register as an NSE and clearing agency, potentially requiring Coinbase to jettison its entire customer-facing business

[...]

The [SEC] Staff first contends that some unidentified subset of the digital assets listed on Coinbase’s spot platform meet the definition of a security. We say “unidentified” because when Coinbase asked during the Wells call which assets the Staff views as securities, the Staff responded that it was “not in a position” to identify them

[...]

The [SEC] Staff next contends that Coinbase’s spot platform is operating as an unregistered exchange, clearing agency, and broker

[...]

The [SEC] Staff further contends that Coinbase’s staking services are investment contract. When asked which asset-specific staking services are in scope, the Staff responded, “All of them,”

:rip:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

This is my new favorite thing they do. If you just keep shovelling money into a dying company your cost average goes down. This is sound investing!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

This is my new favorite thing they do. If you just keep shovelling money into a dying company your cost average goes down. This is sound investing!

its called dollar cost averaging and its my favourite thing

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Crypto continues to push into donations to corrupt the US.
https://theintercept.com/2023/04/28/kyrsten-sinema-crypto-campaign-donations/

article posted:

In the last three years, Sinema has taken in almost a half a million dollars from crypto businesses and investors. In 2021, as her position on regulating crypto eased, she raised at least $175,000 in campaign cash from the industry. Between 2022 and 2023, her campaign has received more than $330,000 from crypto companies and firms with crypto holdings.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

sounds like something there should be a blood test for

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
averaging down is a great term.

also lol at talking about patience, the fuckboys that get into depression states from min by the min trades trades and other stock boy high frequency trading poo poo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I wish someone had instead delivered 100,000 macaques to her home and office

Makes sense that crypto donors would buy that particular senator. Her value as as political asset is going to drop precipitously after 2024.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

drk posted:

Coinbase has posted their Wells response, in which a lot of details on the interactions they've had with the SEC are revealed.

I skimmed through the first half and it is.... not good (for Coinbase)

:rip:

lol

"The SEC investigated us and is claiming that everything we're doing is illegal. However, we disagree. In conclusion, its chill."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When Sullivan and Cromwell, world leaders in taking any lovely cause and spinning an argument into gold, can't do better than basically a legal foot-stamping about the SEC's authority, you're hosed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah but if China accepts this it will set a precedent and next time you try instead of calling security they'll call it a security.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Look, the fact that if we were to follow regulations our whole business would have to shut down is a fault of the regulators, not us!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

kw0134 posted:

When Sullivan and Cromwell, world leaders in taking any lovely cause and spinning an argument into gold, can't do better than basically a legal foot-stamping about the SEC's authority, you're hosed.

They seem to keep coming back to the "but the SEC approved our registration! why are they mad now?" argument. But, thats not how it works. It even says on page 2 of their S1 filing, in bold, "Neither the Securities and Exchange Commission nor any other regulatory body has approved or disapproved of these securities or passed upon the accuracy or adequacy of this prospectus. Any representation to the contrary is a criminal offense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they could read, they wouldn't be investing in and/or running cryptocoin operations.