Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

the opening premise of the Netflix show "The Diplomat" is that the HMS Courageous, which looks very much like the Queen Elizabeth-class carrier, is sailing somewhere in the Persian Gulf, when it gets exploded, killing some 40 British sailors, and it falls upon the titular character to navigate the political fallout of a British warship getting bombed by someone

it was already stretching credulity that a QE carrier could sail and operate that far without developing problems all on its own, but when the Tory Prime Minister promises at one point that he will "rain hellfire on Tehran" in retaliation for the attack, I just rolled my eyes and shut it off

it's insufferable at times but keep watching until the end, it'll pay off lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I want to watch a show based on Victoria Nuland, much more exciting.

(Played by Kevin Spacey)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

quote:

Any attempts at cost recovery from the shipbuilder may prove challenging, as the consortium that constructed the two carriers no longer exists. The Aircraft Carrier Alliance - a partnership between defense companies BAE Systems, Babcock International, and Thales Group - was formed for the purpose of building the vessels and dissolved at the end of the project.

lmao

fly-by-night construction of multi billion dollar aircraft carriers

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m telling you, read Brown’s books to see what things were like before BAE and Thales were given a monopoly and the goddamn Admiralty Arch was sold for a song.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I see no way the Brits can turn this around.

How about they commission a third aircraft carrier so they have enough spare parts to keep one running?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

genericnick posted:

How about they commission a third aircraft carrier so they have enough spare parts to keep one running?

They can do the aircraft carrier of theseus and keep hot swapping components

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m telling you, read Brown’s books to see what things were like before BAE and Thales were given a monopoly and the goddamn Admiralty Arch was sold for a song.

Or Patrick O'Brian :britain:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

They could just have the Navy supervise the design and construction of warships instead of the free market. Crazy, I know.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the opening premise of the Netflix show "The Diplomat" is that the HMS Courageous, which looks very much like the Queen Elizabeth-class carrier, is sailing somewhere in the Persian Gulf, when it gets exploded, killing some 40 British sailors, and it falls upon the titular character to navigate the political fallout of a British warship getting bombed by someone

it was already stretching credulity that a QE carrier could sail and operate that far without developing problems all on its own, but when the Tory Prime Minister promises at one point that he will "rain hellfire on Tehran" in retaliation for the attack, I just rolled my eyes and shut it off

Yeah my wife is watching it, I just told her that a British carrier wouldn't make it past Ushant without breaking down and she put her headphones on.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just don’t understand the loop of:

- See what Tories do
- “Broken Britain!”
- Vote for the Tories

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Same as usual, we didn't go all out and that none sense. He also pulled out the Russia has lost half their tanks thing. Which at that point I was just like I disagree and think we'd loose, not that it matters cUse nukes get launched

going all out seems a pathetic loser thing that a supposedly unbeatable empire shouldnt need to do to beat dudes armed with 50 year old ak-47's but yeah not surprising they never actually have a coherent reason.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

They could just have the Navy supervise the design and construction of warships instead of the free market. Crazy, I know.

no

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

- See what Tories do
- “Broken Britain!”
- Vote for the Tories

The British press is making every effort to drive the country into the ground, they are succeeding on all fronts, and final victory is in sight.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

- See what Tories do
- “Broken Britain!”
- Vote for the Tories

It's pretty understandable: Labour has an actual left-leaning wing (though it's largely crippled now), that infinitesimal amount of support for workers is absolutely unacceptable to the ruling class, and most people are too stupid to actually vote for their own interests. Combine that with the brain worms that appear spontaneously from speaking English as your first language, and you got thumbs galore.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

does the H20 land on water?

Once

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you can only land on land.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was already stretching credulity that a QE carrier could sail and operate that far without developing problems all on its own
Hey, they did that like in 2021 when the people in african colonies were getting uppity again and uh USA was off doing I forget what and couldn't hang around to bomb middle east some more or something.

Edit: I still don't know why you need a twitter account to post about British tubs sailing around the colonies but they have one

https://twitter.com/HMSQNLZ/status/1419504852581765121

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Apr 27, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Are you loving kidding me, it's a jet trainer

What the gently caress do they need concurrent development for on this, you just make a slightly better updated version of the last one and pocket all the money

gently caress

that would be corruption. you need to run this through a neoliberal obfuscation bot in order to transmute it into American Innovation 🇺🇸

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mycomancy posted:

Most people are too stupid to actually vote for their own interests. Combine that with the brain worms that appear spontaneously from speaking English as your first language, and you got thumbs galore.

This is what I'm stuck on, as the state of the RN is entirely the fault of the people they're voting for... because of the state of the RN.

If they want Britain to rule the waves, the shipyards need to be nationalized, taxes on the rich and corporations need to shoot up to 1900 levels, public education needs massive funding, and so on.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSer4D7slE

+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSy0bXg73kA

=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2oQNFexpms

lol like the British administrative state was essentially created to support the Royal Navy, it required 40% of total government expenditure for much of its history. The City and the south are a drain on Britain, whose strength has always come from Portsmouth, Plymouth, Clyde, Arbroath, Rosyth, Scapa Flow, Liverpool, Belfast and the working class.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Apr 27, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

This is what I'm stuck on, as the state of the RN is entirely the fault of the people they're voting for... because of the state of the RN.

If they want Britain to rule the waves, the shipyards need to be nationalized, taxes on the rich and corporations need to shoot up to 1900 levels, public education needs massive funding, and so on.

lol like the British administrative state was essentially created to support the Royal Navy, it required 40% of total government expenditure for much of its history. The City and the south are a drain on Britain, whose strength has always come from Portsmouth, Plymouth, Clyde, Arbroath, Rosyth, Scapa Flow, Liverpool, Belfast and the working class.

How about if British just want a crumbling island kingdom with no navy and a couple skyscrapers in central London? I think they have a right and we should respect it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I am pro choice when it comes to suicide and that includes nation states

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

that would be corruption. you need to run this through a neoliberal obfuscation bot in order to transmute it into American Innovation 🇺🇸

I haven't read up on this program before but

https://www.aflcmc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2517676/et-7a-earns-digital-designation/

yikes

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Great Britain should balkanize according to regional soccer fandom

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

the average british voter doesn't want this, they want the death penalty for being under 35 and the chance to scream at grocery store mascots for not wearing a poppy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure they want round bins and bin men who break their backs to collect them too iirc

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why nationalize the shipyard when you can just nationalize the Russian oligarch properties?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's played completely earnest and it kinda sucks because of it

boo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSer4D7slE

+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSy0bXg73kA

=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2oQNFexpms

why would burtannia need to rule the waves if they aren't extracting superprofits off their crown jool?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

why would burtannia need to rule the waves if they aren't extracting superprofits off their crown jool?

idk, selling wool to the continent, the cod fishery and an ethical version of the triangle trade.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah bengalis have a lot of exciting variety of fried fish, but none of that atlantic cod.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol jesus

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

How about if British just want a crumbling island kingdom with no navy and a couple skyscrapers in central London? I think they have a right and we should respect it.

The people voted for pain

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
what the british want doesn't matter, they don't have a choice. city of london financiers run the place

they tried to by voting for corbyn when he was put up as a joke so his own party slit his throat and have ensured there will never again be a risk of any actual humans having any say in things

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Things seem kinda hosed up if the army is suddenly saying "Hey you know how you were expected to end your military service this year? Surprise after all this time we've been doing it wrong, you actually owe us 3 more years"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/army-aviators-ready-leave-military-are-told-owe-3-years-instead-rcna81796

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Filthy Hans posted:

Great Britain should balkanize according to regional soccer fandom

Most every town has a team, and they don't move. I'm sure the ones with lower league teams back the closest premier league team or whatever, but it isn't like the US where there's entire states without a big league team (and you know, it's much smaller).

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1651732515235799042

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The decline of the empire began when they picked the objectively ugly f22 over the greatest looking fighter jet ever conceived

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Slavvy posted:

The decline of the empire began when they picked the objectively ugly f22 over the greatest looking fighter jet ever conceived

yeah, the goblin

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
that just looks like a cut-down saab tunnan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
With Marcos watching, US Army HIMARS fires 6 times but misses target in South China Sea

quote:

SAN ANTONIO, Philippines — The Philippines’ president was on hand Wednesday as one of the U.S. Army’s best-known weapons missed its target — a decommissioned warship floating miles away in the South China Sea — during a live-fire exercise.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. observed from a tower as the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, or HIMARS, fired six times at the Philippine navy corvette, invisible over the horizon, and a narrator over a public address system described the action down range. U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines MaryKay Carlson sat beside Marcos.

The two HIMARS launchers — designed to strike targets on land — missed each time, but a barrage of ordnance from U.S. and Philippine artillery and aircraft eventually sank the vessel.

“Shore-based fire against a ship is exceptionally hard,” Lt. Col. Nick Mannweiler, a spokesman for Marine Corps Forces Pacific, said during the drill at Naval Station Leovigildo Gantioqui.

The training was part of Balikatan, an annual joint exercise involving more than 17,000 U.S. and Filipino troops that wraps up Friday.

Balikatan, the largest ever in terms of troop numbers, demonstrates further evidence of a decided shift by Marcos toward the Philippines’ longtime ally the United States. His predecessor, Rodrigo Duterte, employed a friendlier approach toward regional rival China, which nonetheless continued to assert control over maritime territory the Philippines claims in the South China Sea.

The HIMARS’ failure to hit a vessel at sea wasn’t a big deal, according to Mannweiler. The training tested troops’ ability to sense a ship and pass targeting information to weapons operated by the U.S. and Philippines, he said.

The training “sets the condition for more fruitful work like this in future,” Mannweiler said.

Once the HIMARS was fired, artillerymen from the 25th Infantry Division and their Philippine counterparts pounded the boat with 105 mm and 155 mm rounds fired from howitzers. Those rounds were on target, said U.S. Army Maj. Jeff Tolbert, a spokesman for the 25th Infantry Division.

Finally, U.S. and Philippine aircraft took turns attacking the target boat with guns and bombs. An Air Force MQ-9 Reaper drone soared overhead, feeding images of the target to commanders calling in the attacks.

A Marine Corps F-35B Lightning II stealth fighter delivered the final blow, and the vessel sank around 2:50 p.m., Tolbert said.

The HIMARS launchers belong to 5th Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., said battalion commander Lt. Col. Tim Lynch.

Marcos inspected one of the launchers before the live-fire exercise. That launcher, dubbed Wild Bill, is part of Outlaw Platoon, said Alpha Battery commander Capt. Cody Dobiyanski, who showed Marcos around.

The U.S. provided HIMARS batteries, designed to strike targets on land, to Ukraine last year. It’s been credited with evening the odds for the Ukrainians, who are battling Russian invaders.

In combat, U.S. forces would likely use a torpedo or Harpoon missiles against a warship, Mannweiler said.

Philippine army Col. Mike Logico, director of the Joint Command Training Center, told reporters that Marcos understands the challenges of a large-scale bilateral exercise.

“What we demonstrated was the capabilities of the HIMARS and probably also its limitations,” he said.