Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Flight sims on the whole fell into the Serious Enthusiast Pit where the game ends up somehow catering to the guy that has a 737 flight deck in his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Freespace 2 didn't fail. We failed Freespace 2. :smith:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Parkingtigers posted:

I mean, this is why rebel Y-wings look like they do, because gently caress putting the covers back on.

Do you know how hard it is to get military-grade lug-nuts in a facist dystopia?

Senrab
May 10, 2012
X-wing vs TIE Fighter was the only game in the series I had, so I didn't have any of the single player campaigns from its predecessors to compare it to. Still, I loved that poo poo and Squadrons was nice to have but didn't fully scratch the itch. I hope that style of game gets revisited in the Star Wars universe someday soon.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Senrab posted:

X-wing vs TIE Fighter was the only game in the series I had, so I didn't have any of the single player campaigns from its predecessors to compare it to. Still, I loved that poo poo and Squadrons was nice to have but didn't fully scratch the itch. I hope that style of game gets revisited in the Star Wars universe someday soon.
You kind of owe it to yourself to at least play TIE Fighter. It's as old as the hills, but the gameplay's still really solid, its storyline is still strong and it's also pretty unique for letting you play only as an Imperial. Or get X-Wing Alliance and then the TIE Fighter: Total Conversion, which I still haven't tried, but which at least looks the part and has lots of rave user reviews.

Edit: Okay so delving into TFTC a little more, it's not a 1-to-1 conversion but actually contains quite a lot of changes. If you're a purist, then, maybe stick to the original game (at least for your very first playthrough).

Edit 2: Right okay after reading up on this even more apparently there's TFTC Classic which actually is almost a 1-to-1 conversion and TFTC Reimagined, which has entirely redesigned missions and such and isn't quite complete yet. Oh and it's reliant on XWA Upgrade which now supports stuff like SSAO and dynamic shadows and even VR?? Can someone please also give Dark Forces 2 this treatment TIA

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 27, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sombrerotron posted:

You kind of owe it to yourself to at least play TIE Fighter. It's as old as the hills, but the gameplay's still really solid, its storyline is still strong and it's also pretty unique for letting you play only as an Imperial. Or get X-Wing Alliance and then the TIE Fighter: Total Conversion, which I still haven't tried, but which at least looks the part and has lots of rave user reviews.

And TIE Fighter where I got the non-American flag portion of my avatar from.

Seriously, I loved that the game included Thrawn, a solely EU character, back in the day. That felt so cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He may not have been Pellaeon but Tie Fighter also establishes that Thrawn enjoys having fabulous mustaches on his XOs.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

thrawn527 posted:

And TIE Fighter where I got the non-American flag portion of my avatar from.

Seriously, I loved that the game included Thrawn, a solely EU character, back in the day. That felt so cool.
It was a few years after TIE Fighter that I discovered the existence of the EU, by way of reading the Heir to the Empire trilogy. It was rad to find out Thrawn was not actually created for TIE Fighter and that he was even cooler there (to my impressionable teenage mind, at least) than in the game.

The downside of having played TIE Fighter so much is that Lars Mikkelsen's Thrawn just sounds wrong to me.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
A pox upon all you goons and your fancy schmancy “flight simulators”. I want some good ole’ Rogue Squadron 1&2 and Jedi Starfighter semi-arcade action.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
N64 Rogue Squadron was the tits. Brb gonna fo find a way to play that again...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
honestly i've had less issues emulating the n64 version than running the pc release

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

racer arcade with the independent throttle steering went so hard

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gonz posted:

Per the internet, they famously have no shield system.

The only part with any reinforcement is the transparisteel cockpit window.

The X-Wings and A-Wings were more nimble, but the TIE made up for it with overall speed.

The X-Wing had the advantage of being a multi-purpose fighter that can maneuver in atmosphere, but the OG TIEs were more maneuverable in space.

All of this is all well and good for fun supplemental material about the universe, but it has zero bearing on what happens on screen. Basically any ship in Star Wars not piloted by a protagonist is blowing up after taking a a couple hits.

Star Wars space battles are basically WW2 in space and all the ships are about as comparatively durable

galagazombie posted:

A pox upon all you goons and your fancy schmancy “flight simulators”. I want some good ole’ Rogue Squadron 1&2 and Jedi Starfighter semi-arcade action.

TIE Fighter is the best game but I really enjoyed the hell out of the physics engine of the Starfighter series. Drifting in space never gets old

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If they wanted to modernize TIE's a little, I think it could be interesting if the trade-off was they fought like Battlestar Vipers. Conventional dogfighting in atmosphere, but in space? They'll pivot and strafe a target or turn completely and shoot behind them while still flying on inertia.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Star Wars space flight doesn’t do that kind of physics except for in the Starfighter games, but yeah that’d be cool and justify the weird design of the TIE’s

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
To whomever was asking about VR and Squadrons a few pages back, it absolutely owns. I never tried multi as I didn't really get good enough at single player to dare, but the immersiveness and feeling like you're really in Star Wars is Peak Videogames IMO. Add in a HOTAS and you're golden.

Jerkface posted:

X-Wing Alliance is goated. I still remember my mom having to mess with the memory allocation of our PC to get X-Wing and Tie Fighter to run. Xwing vs Tie Fighter was the biggest disappointment, though I had a lot of fun with the mission editor (which actually may have been XWA but I think it was in the Balance of Power) creating different star wars scenarios

If my only memories of XvT were single player, I wouldn't think too much of it*, but it was a lot of fun in multi. I always loaded the flare as my countermeasure and loved to level out for a moment to drop one in a pursuing player's face (it did nearly as much damage as a torpedo, IIRC).

*middle school me grinding the capital ship mission with space bombs over and over again to up my rank definitely had some misplaced priorities in life

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, I’m not normally a huge fanboy of Luke/Mark Hamil but this was a neat surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dlf4Q1AZg

This is very Marketing Team and cheesy and yet I love it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll give the slightly less enthusiastic note on Squadrons that I found it pretty generic and patchwork as a full game, and it's almost entirely carried by the VR aspect. That VR aspect is undeniably very loving cool, however!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

HMD Squadrons good.

The first thing I did when the campaign put me in an x-wing was turn around and check on my little buddy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Star Wars requires the luminiferous aether. It's how the force works and why they dogfight in space like planes on earth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Space is just black air

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

Star Wars requires the luminiferous aether. It's how the force works and why they dogfight in space like planes on earth.
The Death Star was faked. It was filmed on a sound studio. You can tell because of the lighting. It was really just a model.

:smug:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Hordes of midicholorians with teenie laser swords constantly battle with and defeat the forces of inertia.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

unruly posted:

The Death Star was faked. It was filmed on a sound studio. You can tell because of the lighting. It was really just a model.

:smug:

No it was real. But Vader blew it up. I already posted the Luke's Change doc.
I mean, they already had the second one under construction. Ofc it had to be blown up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

alderaan was peopled entirely by crisis actors.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Owlbear Camus posted:

alderaan was peopled entirely by crisis actors.
Funded entirely by ((BAIL ORGANA)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HootTheOwl posted:

I already posted the Luke's Change doc.

:golfclap:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Death Star plans were stolen by an imperial senator, released by imperial stormtroopers from an imperial prison with the connivance of imperial military leadership. Imperially trained pilots spearheaded the Death Star’s destruction. Biggest false flag since the Jedi rebellion

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Playing Jedi Survivor as it came out today

We need a live a show about Turgle :getin:

And the high republic already.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Acolyte is going to be a High Republic show. Maybe Turgle will guest star.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I thought I'd re-watch as much of BoBF as I can before my D+ subscription lapses, as I feel like I must have watched something different from all the people who mention it in the same breath as Obi-Wan.

I'm not saying it's great (my initial read was a "C+" originally), but it was orders of magnitude more competent than the dumpster fire that was Obi-Wan.

First episode leans heavily into "show, don't tell", does a good job of selling Fett as competent and not wholley ruthless ("Jabba ruled with fear, I intend to rule with respect") - it does fit with his EU persona, cringe as it may be. There's some parkour across Tattooine rooftops that is nowhere near the level of "lol spiderman" we get with the Obi-Wan. Shand shows her competence in disarming two assassins without being armed herself. Fett and the Rhodian are an interesting dynamic and show two ways of coping with being taken captive. There is again some good "show, don't tell" with how Fett gets accepted by the Tuskens.

I do remember that it generally gets worse, not better, but first episode is largely fine, even pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I thought I'd re-watch as much of BoBF as I can before my D+ subscription lapses, as I feel like I must have watched something different from all the people who mention it in the same breath as Obi-Wan.

I'm not saying it's great (my initial read was a "C+" originally), but it was orders of magnitude more competent than the dumpster fire that was Obi-Wan.

First episode leans heavily into "show, don't tell", does a good job of selling Fett as competent and not wholley ruthless ("Jabba ruled with fear, I intend to rule with respect") - it does fit with his EU persona, cringe as it may be. There's some parkour across Tattooine rooftops that is nowhere near the level of "lol spiderman" we get with the Obi-Wan. Shand shows her competence in disarming two assassins without being armed herself. Fett and the Rhodian are an interesting dynamic and show two ways of coping with being taken captive. There is again some good "show, don't tell" with how Fett gets accepted by the Tuskens.

I do remember that it generally gets worse, not better, but first episode is largely fine, even pretty good.

The flashback parts are pretty decent, it's the framing device/present-day arc of Mos Espa that sucks badly as it had zero real weight to it. It arbitrarily cycles villains out rather than build on the existing ones, doesn't actually engage with the locals beyond intimidating them or using them for cheap drama, and just tacks on more and more one-off characters and groups rather than build a foundation of a recurring cast that represent parts of the city. The nearest you get is the scooty-puff junior gang, the rest are either;
  • Blown up (Cantina)
  • Comedic villains (Mayor and their aide, who also get got at the end)
  • Not Appearing In This Series (The other crime families aside from one banquet scene and a bunch of random grunts in the finale ambushing everyone)

And then it all gets massively overshadowed by Din Djarin's wizard new hotrod fighter and reuniting with Grogu as the centerpiece of the finale to Boba Fett's show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Book of Boba Fett has two and a half good episodes which is two and a half more than Kenobi got.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Larry, on the other hand...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah it started out fine, did some flashbacks and the tusken stuff was good enough

but then the famed bounty hunter becomes a warlord, sorry, a mayor who refuses to do crime or bounty hunting

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

drunkill posted:

but then the famed bounty hunter becomes a warlord, sorry, a mayor who refuses to do crime or bounty hunting

This didn't bother me at all. Why are people so hung up on this? The fact that they completely dropped the ball on Fett using desert power to rule Tatooine is the biggest crime of all.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Episode 2: more Tusken stuff, which is great.

Fennic's "overpriced, you're paying for the name" is a good comedy line, and the showdown with the Hutt's isn't bad - good use of audio cues to set the scene. I like the touch of the litter bowing under their weight.

The "Boba walks into a bar right when the bad aliens are being bad" is a bit on the nose, but Temuera really sells the action with his facial expressions and choreography. Only having the old Tusken rifle and wooden gaffi stick does a good job of showing Fett's martial prowess; he's not just the armor.

There is obviously a lot of care here with the Tuskens in terms of showing them as a culture. Love all the detail with the gaffi stick - Fett using it to hook a Pyke and chuck him off the train, etc. The whole spirit journey to get the piece of wood and montage of making it feels very much like the prop equivalent of every background charcater in the original trilogy having a detailed Wookiepedia entry, but I'm totally fine with it.

Also shoutout to that locomotive engineer droid design - the retrofuture train controls hearken back to early steam engines controls in a fun, interesting way. Yeeting itself out when Boba tells it to stop the train and then scuttling off into the desert was a very Star Wars moment.

tl;dr - while not perfect, still plenty of care and attention to detail being shown. Not mad yet.

start of episode 3: biggest crime so far is hiding most of Matthew Berry's dulcet tones behind a droid vocodor.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 29, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This didn't bother me at all. Why are people so hung up on this?

Because you can see the "BE SAFE AND MARKETABLE" Producers Notes all over it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Episode 3:

Realising in the preview/flashback that the Ithorian mayor's translator voice sounds a bit like Pedro Pascal. Nope, it's Robert Rodriguez!

The subplot with Steven Root the greedy water merchant isn't great - it has some OK bones, but the mods being poor teens who want to work! but just can't find a job is a bit too pat. Boba Fett's resolution of it does at least fit his character as established so far.

I don't have a huge problem with the look of the mods as characters, but I do agree with the criticism that the pristine scooters look wildly out of place on Tattooine. Someone has obviously looked at historic source material from actual 60s Mods in the UK and decided to parachute that aesthetic into the series, without asking any worldbuilding questions like "how would this get here? How would they pay for/come by it?" etc. They definitely could have included some of that look while keeping with a more consistent lived-in, scrappy appearance more suitable to Tatooine, but for whatever reason chose not to.

Boba looking proud on that bantha - good. Building pathos off a bunch of dead Tuskens... questionable. Putting the little kid Tusken's stick on the pyre :( Would have maybe expected and appreciated a bit more emotion from Temuera with this whole scene, felt more grim than grieving, there's certainly some earned emotional weight here but they don't really cash it in.

Krrsantan sells Wookies as good fighters in his scenes in a way that I don't think Chewie ever really did. OT was much more "tell" than "show" in that regard.

The Hutts turning up and offering the rancor is a bit too perfect knowing what happens, but in the moment you wonder if it's some kind of trap. However, there's not really much in the show to suggest this (lingering on the rancor, characters reacting to it, etc). I think some ambiguity would have added a bit more to it. I do like that they're doing the same thing with the Rancor they do with the Tuskens - filling it out, making it more interesting and sympathetic, etc. 

So far the Mods seem like they might have been tacked on at the end of the screenwriting process, as a means to give the Youngs a means to latch on to a series centred around a lead in his 60s with a sidekick in her late 50s.

Overall probably a 6/10.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 29, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ming-Wa Nen could be 70 and still look hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Episode 4:

Mod surgeon scenes not great - appreciate doing something different for music in SW but this isn't quite good.

Fennic waking up in the desert at night with the moon overhead, bantha, and fire - excellent, very atmospheric. I am as over Tatoine as a Star Wars setting as anyone but this show does put a lot of effort and care into realising it as a place, and it almost always nails it, probably better than any other SW media I've seen. Boba's "g'wan, git" convo with the bantha also a reasonable nod to his time with the Tuskens, and we had some establishing shots of herds of bantha in the desert in earlier eps to give us a mental picture of that bantha wandering off and living a full and happy life. I could well and truly die happy never seeing Tatooine in Star Wars again, but if I have to, I hope whomever is doing it hires whomever was the Tatooine show bible writer from BoBF.

Love the design of the rat catcher droid.

The showrunners continue to do a good job showing Fennic Shand as being both very competent and well equipped during the Jabba's break-in scenes.

Forgot about the "I've got some scores to settle" scene - the Slave 1 Firespray dropping down in the upper corner of the frame and strafing the hapless biker gang with that sick blaster report is :discourse:

Great shot of the Firespray framed by the Sarlaac mouth from below. Boba and Fennic's chat afterwards is fine for revealing some character motivations. Not super strong, but not terrible either.

Camera work, body language/costuming with the wookie in the bar setup is very well done; this kind of scene is probably a trope in film but they pulled it off on a very non-human character very well. Gangsta moment where we actually do see the proverbial arm getting ripped out of a socket.

I have a feeling if this show had been more positively received we would have gotten a great Last Supper Photoshop of Boba Fett and the other crime bosses.

Overall very decent, 7/10

Episode 5: haven't re-watched it yet but I heard that music cue at the end of Ep 4 and obviously, no notes.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 29, 2023