Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You go to hell! You go STRAIGHT TO HELL!

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Wow, what a bitch.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

loving... when did that happen, Billingsley? Certainly no time you'd actually SHOWN it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"...and I'm glad I did give up on Wilbur."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I cannot stress enough how dangerous and stupid what this man is doing is.

Andertoons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/13/50

Drimble Wedge posted:

Hotel doorman?

Good guess but not quite...

Archie 3/20-22/47

The joke is that Betty is a total doormat, you see.

Genuine lol for this one.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Bongo Bill posted:

This is just a Something Positive strip.

yeah I generally like Milholland's "Popeye," even if it lacks in the madcap antics of the old stuff, but this one just isn't even trying to be anything but S*P

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Usually Mark Trail can be made fun of for being obviously stupid and having rushed, lazy art but I gotta say that the plotting and dialogue is ridiculously bad too. Mark just spent 3 days reciting exposition aloud to himself alone at night in the woods to remind us of what the stakes that he and the author forgot for a month are. So just like the Tiger arc where Mark literally walked into somebody who just showed him everything he wanted to know immediately with no resistance, Mark immediately finds the guy who was missing, in the woods, for days(weeks?) the second he makes ANY effort to do so? What stops this guy from walking back to the camp/civilization? This is after Mark immediately cracked the case of the bear attacks too. "Hmm gee have you tried the most basic element of wildlife deterrence?????????????"

I could rant like a mad man and make a Son of Stuck Funky blog about Trail, it's not like I'd ever want for material. Also Mark you had a thought bubble yesterday showing you knows what this guy looks like before meeting him but hey I guess the thought bubble tic being stupid since its introduction is the most solid bit of consistency in the strip.

quote:

quote:

I need Mud to jump in next to save both of them. :allears:

Selachian posted:

Genuine lol for this one.

My favorite comedy in this strip is the casual cartoon violence. God drat, Archie!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

What Is This "Your Culture" Horseshit, Is She An Immigrant? I Thought She Was Just An American Citizen Race-Faking Cat.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

The Reaver with the high hairline is one who I think was kind of a fill-in background character drawn by Marc Silvestri. I don’t think he had a name or was ever intended to be anything other than fodder to be chopped up by Wolverine. But in this story, I drew him several times, and really got to enjoy his murdery widow’s peak.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Ghostlight posted:

lmao we're all so old

I had to zoom in to read that front page article. :corsair:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which the Major flips a bird. (November 26-28, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (January 27-29, 1921)

Dok's "Somebody's Idea of a Neutral Party" Duck (September 18, 1914)

Little Lefty (June 6-8, 1938)

Just a tiny bit suspicious of del writing a child who doesn't instinctively know which breakable item in her own household would provoke maximum drama, but I'm still rolling with it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

I like this one. Simple joke, good delivery.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

That must be some really good beard glue Rene is using.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

:allears:

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life crossover week!

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 25, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 25, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 5-6, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori serves up some delicious homonyms again.

So there's a Finnish expression "to go to by the meat cauldrons", which basically means to go eat well, like you would when you go home to your parents' place and they feed you like parents do.

In Finnish that is "lihapatojen ääreen", which breaks down to liha (meat) + patojen (the plural possessive of pata, cauldron or pot). But "lihapatojen ääreen" can ALSO be liha (meat) + patojen (the plural possessive of pato, dam). And here we are.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Usually Mark Trail can be made fun of for being obviously stupid and having rushed, lazy art but I gotta say that the plotting and dialogue is ridiculously bad too. Mark just spent 3 days reciting exposition aloud to himself alone at night in the woods to remind us of what the stakes that he and the author forgot for a month are. So just like the Tiger arc where Mark literally walked into somebody who just showed him everything he wanted to know immediately with no resistance, Mark immediately finds the guy who was missing, in the woods, for days(weeks?) the second he makes ANY effort to do so? What stops this guy from walking back to the camp/civilization? This is after Mark immediately cracked the case of the bear attacks too. "Hmm gee have you tried the most basic element of wildlife deterrence?????????????"

I could rant like a mad man and make a Son of Stuck Funky blog about Trail, it's not like I'd ever want for material. Also Mark you had a thought bubble yesterday showing you knows what this guy looks like before meeting him but hey I guess the thought bubble tic being stupid since its introduction is the most solid bit of consistency in the strip.
I'm starting to legitimately wonder if Jules isn't maybe writing it for like, 6-7-year-olds, and is just bad at communicating that.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

yeah wasn't Gord the one whose dad beats him on the reg

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm starting to legitimately wonder if Jules isn't maybe writing it for like, 6-7-year-olds, and is just bad at communicating that.

I look back fondly at the fourteen seconds after Jules took over when the thread was excited for the change. :lol:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

better than what it was before but that's a very very low bar

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Why was that? I'm only familiar with this incarnation of Mark Trail.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i remember it only in edits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Apparently the Intelligent Life author thinks that Dethany (from on the Fastrack) is a witch.

And also likes animal parts in her veggie burgers.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Popeye isn't known to be eating exclusively spinach, is he?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

was mark trail ever good?

the only thing i tend to remember about it is the "spiders! mankind's friend in the war against insects!" edit

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

hexwren posted:

the only thing i tend to remember about it is the "spiders! mankind's friend in the war against insects!" edit

I don't think so. There have been some interesting moments like trail just killing a bunch of divers, Dr "Vargo" Camel the delusional yet hunter etc.
Someone did post the originals a few years ago and while I found them interesting I would not classify them as good, because they were still a 40's comic strip and as we've seen with the rest of them in the thread, they usually have some issues.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(October 8, 1916)

$15 in 1916 is $415.37 today

Little Nemo(March 4, 1906)

Finally some conflict.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Breadmaster posted:

Why was that? I'm only familiar with this incarnation of Mark Trail.
James Allen was bad at drawing, bad at pacing, bad at scripting either long-term or panel-to-panel dialogue, and proved to be right-wing on Twitter.
Jules Rivera is bad at drawing, bad at pacing and bad at scripting either long-term or panel-to-panel dialogue. But she ticks all the right boxes to make the comics page a bit more outwardly diverse and progressive.

I'll take Rivera over Allen 100% of the time if the choice is between those two. But the choice should be between someone who makes a good comic and someone who doesn't. Not to the exclusion of all else: if the choice was between Rivera and a hypothetical creator who did a great job but was vocally right-wing, I'd rather Rivera did it. The point is more that what Allen churned out was already bad enough to take him off the job without him being a shithead on top of it and I feel like they could have found someone who knew how to do a nature-themed adventure strip without either going "kids these days with their genders!" or turning the whole thing into an influencer farce. It's hard to avoid the impression that in the case of Mark Trail, the craft of the comic strip takes a very distant secondary role to the identity of the creator.

Though I will say that Rivera does a very decent Sunday strip that's well executed, informative and gets an environmental message across.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

CONTAINERS of SCHOOL. SUPPLIES. sailing in on the SS Afghanistan is a very funny image.

hexwren posted:

I've not ever seen it. The general rule of thumb for these strips that it was competent-to-good at the start, but eventually fell exhausted as the uncredited assistant of the grandson of the original artist shuffles clip-art around. Has anyone ever posted Mark Trail from the start in this thread? It might be really good!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Excellent

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (May 6, 1993)

I love that Watterson bothered to make the tiny text actually say something.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 23, 1956)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just in time.

Also, I recall the Jack Elrod era being entertainingly bad but not having a lovely rear end in a top hat doing it (as far as we know, anyway) like James Allen.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The early Ed Dodd authored Mark Trails that were posted here were pretty standard 40s adventure comics. Slightly more competent, but less silly than Brenda Starr, which made them not all that interesting.

The late Jack Elrod strips were typical octogenarian adventure comics like late Mandrake, pretty stupid, but endearing.

The early James Allen wasn't anything special, but had some fun moments and sometimes he put more effort to the art. Eventually the quality started slipping more and more and he turned out to be an utterly unlikable person.

Jules Rivera started pretty strong, but art quality started dropping dramatically after just one or two weeks and while the first story was a fun trainwreck, the overall writing quality turned out to be disappointing as well.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 28, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/27/03

Brenda Starr 11/13-16/50

Smokey Stover 5/2/54

Everyday Movies 5/9/36

"But do ya think it could stand the strong medicine smell in her bedroom?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/12-14/41

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil learning someone's secret while fully visible? Writer's slacking off.