Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I like how the council feature is adapted for gestalt empires. Was kinda afraid that they were either going to be ignored or just be the same with no proper explanation, but this seems like a good compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the leaders boost stuff via the level up traits now.

Which... seems worse than the existing specialty thing but whatever.

If nothing else I do actually like having less scientists to juggle.
It's exactly that yes. So take everything I said there except instead of juggling some random scientist it's juggling your entire government.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-297-leaders-the-council-and-agendas.1579919/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

What is this like for the hive-mind? Is it like someone playing with hand-puppets or action figures?

SF is full with different hive minds, and Paradox wisely decided to abstract the exact type behind whatever the player writes down as fiction blurb.

There are, as a few examples,

-hive minds with full integration (the singular mind connected to it is like a citizen in a big city, just the "city" is the mind and the single drones may not even be inhabited by the individuals the gestalt is formed from)

-hive minds that are literally one mind (so you get a big computer just running leader.exe to show for diplomatic purposes, and all leaders are just mindless puppets, see the Fleet Mind in Stars at War for example)

-Borg minds (the individual is overruled, but technically speaking, still inside that body you're speaking to)

And on and on. Trying to make game mechanics fit everything out there would be folly, so Paradox went the "you, the player, decide how it works" route.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I'm looking forward to rolling a kick rear end starting scientist who gets eaten in a first contact event.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ugh, they left negative traits in. All that effort to design something new and fun and it'll still be randomly ruined for no reason at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Ugh, they left negative traits in. All that effort to design something new and fun and it'll still be randomly ruined for no reason at all.

Oh no how will I ever deal with a -1% research speed.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I like every event in my game of managing risk and strategizing to be positive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When a negative thing happens it's a feelbad.
They need to make the game only have two buttons "Win" and "Win but more so".

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Or it shouldn’t necessarily be a negative. Like they steal money from your treasury (-1% energy) but in return you can build a tax haven on a frontier planet that allows for unrestricted growth there.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I like every event in my game of managing risk and strategizing to be positive.

Jack Trades posted:

When a negative thing happens it's a feelbad.
They need to make the game only have two buttons "Win" and "Win but more so".

:jerkbag:

Getting negative events from anomalies or as a result of an event chain is fine. Having negative traits result from poor empire management, or losing a war, etc is totally fine. Creating a system designed around building up small bonuses over long periods of time and then adding in a random chance for that effort to be spoiled with no way to counter it or reverse the effects other than "hire a new leader" is really annoying.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Gadzuko posted:

Getting negative events from anomalies or as a result of an event chain is fine. Having negative traits result from poor empire management, or losing a war, etc is totally fine. Creating a system designed around building up small bonuses over long periods of time and then adding in a random chance for that effort to be spoiled with no way to counter it or reverse the effects other than "hire a new leader" is really annoying.

Except (and especially so it seems under the new system) it'll be a very powerful leader with maybe one or two negative traits among several positive ones. You don't need to fire every leader the moment a negative trait turns up.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Being able to customize your starting ruler's traits as a non-Gestalt sounds amazing. Now all we need is the ability to designate a precursor at launch and I can cut back on 80% of restarts.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Being able to customize your starting ruler's traits as a non-Gestalt sounds amazing. Now all we need is the ability to designate a precursor at launch and I can cut back on 80% of restarts.

I just use a mod to pick my precursor before I unpause.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gadzuko posted:

Ultimately a leader getting a negative trait isn't really significant enough to "ruin" or "spoil" things to the degree you're implying for most people to feel that strongly about it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It gets real annoying when you spent several minutes burning thousands of Unity to roll Genius and now you've lost that 10% research on top of that Unity. The RNG of leader traits on hiring is already widely disliked, but the extra layer of RNG that penalizes you for going out of your way to work around the first layer is what makes people frustrated. Just auto-assign the leader if you don't want players to fish for a good one.

For me personally it's the exp/level cap penalties that are the problem, exp already comes at a slow trickle and you can't buy your way out of that hole once it starts forming. Level cap penalties are absolutely brutal on immortal leaders. The lifespan penalty is whatever, they'll keep working at full efficiency until they die and lifespans are flexible anyways. If you took out the exp/level cap penalties and replaced them with something like "reduced output when leading research" so I can kick them over to a different job handling an excavation or something instead, I'd be totally fine with that.

Used to be you could 'buy' a leader level via species trait pick and that could help with leader churn, but that got cut at some point and I don't know why. Didn't even pay for itself if you took Fleeting for the lifespan penalty.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pyroi posted:

Let us put Bubbles on the council. They are wise beyond their years and also won't die of old age.

I wish there were an option to entrust the unique ships to a museum. Maybe attach them to the art megastructure for a one-time payment of minor artifacts or something. I want to put Bubbles out on a pasture to roam freely and interact with scientists as and when desired.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So if I'm reading that update right, now you have to put a governor on every single planet, rather than one per sector, unless you have the specific sector traits? That seems really micro-managey and awful.

Also, no word on reworking Democracies to not suck is a red flag. How much worse are they gonna become if we're still in the system where every 20 years your leader and all their traits bounce and get replaced with one of your other leaders at random who are completely unsuited for the job, remove themselves from the job where they were actually useful, and set a random mandate that's frequently unfufillable?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

So if I'm reading that update right, now you have to put a governor on every single planet, rather than one per sector, unless you have the specific sector traits? That seems really micro-managey and awful.

Also, no word on reworking Democracies to not suck is a red flag. How much worse are they gonna become if we're still in the system where every 20 years your leader and all their traits bounce and get replaced with one of your other leaders at random who are completely unsuited for the job, remove themselves from the job where they were actually useful, and set a random mandate that's frequently unfufillable?

This post made me question democracy IRL now.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Ultimately a leader getting a negative trait isn't really significant enough to "ruin" or "spoil" things to the degree you're implying for most people to feel that strongly about it.

Yeah, it's a minor annoyance to be sure, I have never had a game hinge on the outcome of a negative trait roll. It just doesn't feel interesting to engage with at all. I had hoped for some improvement in that regard.

CapnAndy posted:

I think the way it works is you assign a planetary governor, they hit level 4 and you can specialize them into a sector governor, and then if you have a planet in a particular sector in need of some specific traits you can assign a planetary governor there to override (or add to?) the sector governor traits. That doesn't sound too bad.

They said in one of the replies that Democracy was getting some changes, but no specifics.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gadzuko posted:

I think the way it works is you assign a planetary governor, they hit level 4 and you can specialize them into a sector governor, and then if you have a planet in a particular sector in need of some specific traits you can assign a planetary governor there to override (or add to?) the sector governor traits. That doesn't sound too bad.
But... that is still worse than what we have right now. Right now you put one governor on a sector and they give their bonuses to every planet in the sector. It's the only reason to make sectors at all.

Maybe they're explaining it badly, because I see that and my thought isn't "oh geez, the leader cap", it's "governors aren't worth the hassle and neither are sectors".

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, it's a minor annoyance to be sure, I have never had a game hinge on the outcome of a negative trait roll. It just doesn't feel interesting to engage with at all. I had hoped for some improvement in that regard.

They said in one of the replies that Democracy was getting some changes, but no specifics.

yea there's a bit of a difference between ["randomly getting hit with a 'negative' thing that e.g. offers some kind of strategic tradeoff-value or otherwise forces interesting decisions"] vs ["randomly getting hit with a 'negative' thing that's purely bad in a way that is not interesting or challenging, just annoying"]

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah the negative traits have gotta go if there is no upside. It's literally just fire and replace that leader. And if you're playing well outside the very early game the penalty for removing someone from their post may as well not exist.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You can still have a sector governor, who is just the governor of the sector capital, but it looks like all of the governor traits are going to be planet specific and the sector benefit is just tied to level. This means it's easier to diversify planets within a sector, I guess. I don't think they said what the sector benefit from level is, so hopefully that's good at least.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

bobtheconqueror posted:

You can still have a sector governor, who is just the governor of the sector capital, but it looks like all of the governor traits are going to be planet specific and the sector benefit is just tied to level. This means it's easier to diversify planets within a sector, I guess. I don't think they said what the sector benefit from level is, so hopefully that's good at least.

Yeah that’s how I read it. Stick your sector governor on the sector governor and the entire sector gets whatever his governor level bonus is, and then the plant gets his trait bonuses. If you want more planets in the sector to get trait bonuses then assign a planetary governor as well.

I assume this was to balance out traits being much more powerful. Seems fine to me - not every little backwater farm planet needs a governor.

Anno fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 27, 2023

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah the negative traits have gotta go if there is no upside. It's literally just fire and replace that leader. And if you're playing well outside the very early game the penalty for removing someone from their post may as well not exist.

imo the way the ck3 traits mostly work, with a bonus to some things and a malus to others, is way more fun than the straight up positive or negative traits here. a pop-up saying 'blorg scientist 3 is developing an unhealthy compulsion to use live test subjects from other species, should we encourage it or bring it to a stop?' and the options being 'no way. blorg 3 now has Xeno Testing, plus 15 society research, minus 15 happiness for xeno pops' or 'tell him to cut it out and stick to the basics. blorg 3 now has Disciplined Scientist, plus 2 research, minus 10 chance of rare techs' or whatever balanced thing they could come up with feels a lot more interesting than 'your scientist is dumb now'

overall new systems look really good though

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've honestly wanted to run an empire with like venerable and all the leader life traits with a single immortal empress forever and this update seems primed to make that actually good.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I've honestly wanted to run an empire with like venerable and all the leader life traits with a single immortal empress forever and this update seems primed to make that actually good.

If you're able to rush the genetics ascension pathway, you can frequently start with standard lifespans and then gene mod in the Robust trait for +80 years and effectively get that.

Even better if you go necrophage or lithoid.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

But... that is still worse than what we have right now. Right now you put one governor on a sector and they give their bonuses to every planet in the sector. It's the only reason to make sectors at all.

Maybe they're explaining it badly, because I see that and my thought isn't "oh geez, the leader cap", it's "governors aren't worth the hassle and neither are sectors".

That's my first thought too. Sure, you can get the +2% stability or whatever from your governor on every planet in the sector, but the actual useful part is whatever traits they have, and that only applies to one planet. I will probably just save all my unity for more science ships instead.

It also makes me wonder if they are getting rid of the fleet/army traits for governors, because right now the AI Caretaker governor for instance gets the AI-Aided Design trait, which increases the speed of ship construction in it's sector, as well as reduces the cost of them. If I find that anomaly, it always goes into my mega shipyard sector.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

The fact that it doesn't auto sell is absurd tbh

This or a cool thing where the over storage surplus just ends up sitting in orbit around your capital or whatever (maybe even for enemies to steal, which would be cool). Minerals and alloys aren’t perishable and a space faring civilization should be able to shove them into a Lagrange point, hollowed asteroid, or some kind of minimally maintained orbit until it needed them

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This or a cool thing where the over storage surplus just ends up sitting in orbit around your capital or whatever (maybe even for enemies to steal, which would be cool). Minerals and alloys aren’t perishable and a space faring civilization should be able to shove them into a Lagrange point, hollowed asteroid, or some kind of minimally maintained orbit until it needed them

Yeah! The could even build some sort of silo to store them in!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Mineral habitats. :hmmyes:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What benefits do randomly acquired negative traits bring to the game? Assuming the negative traits are still the very very boring -XX% to Y that they are right now.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah i don't know why having my guy randomly become a drug addict needs to be in there. could do without it. maybe if there was some narrative/scripted stuff attached that leads to decision making.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
god I'm so hyped for the new xpac, cycling leaders until the deck drew a good trait was so tiresome, looking forward to investing into characters and having some sweet extra rp capacity in there, especially with co-op

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It does look like, based on one of the traits they showed, there's a "negative trait potential" stat for leaders, so if you want them removed that's probably something that could be done via modding.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

If you're able to rush the genetics ascension pathway, you can frequently start with standard lifespans and then gene mod in the Robust trait for +80 years and effectively get that.

Even better if you go necrophage or lithoid.

You can also go Teachers of the Shroud, rush psionic theory and hopefully get an immortal ruler buff from the Shroud.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

One time I managed to go psionic early as a Megacorp, had a trade federation going, life was great. The federation just levelled up enough to boost centralization, so of course I pushed for reforms to extend/alter the presidency. Switching succession from rotation to one of the contests (I think I picked the money one) sounds good, and oh look at that, every member supports it, no messing with favors required.

Right before the election they all unanimously (except for me) voted for a gladiatorial succession, forcing my immortal psionic leader, the same leader I started the game with, into a fight to the death. He did not win. I didn't even care about losing the presidency, but there's no "this isn't worth it, you can just have the crown" option.

Anyway, that's my Leader story, really excited to replay this sequence of events with a much more valuable character with hand-selected traits, a procedurally generated background, and a wife and kids.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

One time I managed to go psionic early as a Megacorp, had a trade federation going, life was great. The federation just levelled up enough to boost centralization, so of course I pushed for reforms to extend/alter the presidency. Switching succession from rotation to one of the contests (I think I picked the money one) sounds good, and oh look at that, every member supports it, no messing with favors required.

Right before the election they all unanimously (except for me) voted for a gladiatorial succession, forcing my immortal psionic leader, the same leader I started the game with, into a fight to the death. He did not win. I didn't even care about losing the presidency, but there's no "this isn't worth it, you can just have the crown" option.

Anyway, that's my Leader story, really excited to replay this sequence of events with a much more valuable character with hand-selected traits, a procedurally generated background, and a wife and kids.

Is there ever a reason to pick a non-Golden Rule Federation challenge method? Seems like the only one with guaranteed victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

binge crotching posted:

Until they let us change the ship design in-game, the only place Bubbles belongs is at the recycler.

this should give every other empire a "make them pay" total war cb on you