Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I never understood the popularity of HIMYM. it just wasn’t funny to me and the characters were annoying. Especially when there’s so much good tv on nowadays. I preferred more intellectual fare such as big bang theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

MinistryofLard posted:

HYMIM starts off with the show viewing Barney as kind of a loser who thinks he's awesome but I think the viewer base missed the point pretty quick and the show and writing very clearly shifted its own perception of the character to being as cool as he thinks he is. At some point all of his creepy plans to get laid start working and the suit obsession becomes awesome. He has a straight up stormtrooper costume in his apartment and the show couldn't decide if it was cool or not.

Are you sure? I remember Early Barney being "this guy's totally awesome" and the show gradually turning him into "no, he was bad all along, and is really a total loser" as time went on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fartknocker posted:

Pretty sure both those were things long before HIMYM.

Yeah there's versions of the "half your age plus seven" rule going back as least as far as 1879: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships#%22Half-your-age-plus-seven%22_rule

Although I swear I recently saw a news article which claimed that the guy who invented the rule just died, I must be thinking of something else

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

HopperUK posted:

It's a shame because the most interesting thing about Barney is his desperate clingy loneliness that renders him vulnerable, but NPH was too charming and the character got kind of bent around that charm.
It must be a curve.
writers writing him as: Barney is dumb, barney is legendary, barney is dumb.

reality is he was dumb all along.
honestly i can't really recommend getting into HIMYM in 2023. its dated and everything. but i do like it, in a familiar, silly way. its comfort food haha :)

but yeah NPH is so charming that its definitely a case of a character hiding in his aura. also can i just say, the sheer amount of winks to the audience of him being a v. openly gay theatre kid actor is so funny. he's meant to be this chad player on the show and he is so against type its rad

Lampsacus has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Apr 28, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Barney is just a amalgamation of Joey (dumb himbo ladies man) and Chandler (rich successful ambiguously gay funnyman).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

HopperUK posted:

It's a shame because the most interesting thing about Barney is his desperate clingy loneliness that renders him vulnerable, but NPH was too charming and the character got kind of bent around that charm.

Yeah. Initially the character was "Look at this tryhard! Dressing in suits and exaggerating his claims of being a lothario to look cool and impress his mates to overcompensate for his deep deep insecurities." But then he kept getting the laughs, so the writers thought "hey, we're getting laughs every time this character describes how he tricks women into sleeping with him. Lets lean into that, and make him even more date-rapey."

Also what bothers me about it is that with his campy charm, and the way that NPH played the character so light and breezily, the show hugely minimizes the horror of sexual assault and rape, (tricking women into loving you is rape). Which is a bad thing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The writers also thought it was hilarious that he sold a woman into sexual slavery for a car.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
HIMYM is really bad and I couldn't ever after multiple times trying to get through a whole episode. I'm not even like super picky I was laughing along watching Rules Of Engagement for like 3 episodes last night in Pluto.

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Apr 28, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There was one year where Nick at Nite was airing nothing but the Christmas episodes of shows for all of December. I guess HIMYM didn't have very many, so when it briefly was on Nick at Nite, they just kept airing the episode where Robin found out she couldn't have kids over and over since it was set at Christmas. Like 95% of the total amount I've ever seen of the show was just that one episode.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shiroc posted:

HIMYM...briefly was on Nick at Nite

I just felt all of my bones turn to du...wait a minute is Nick at Nite still a thing??

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yes, it primarily has aired hours of Friends for years and years.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can never tell if I'm watching How I Met Your Mother or Big Bang Theory because they're just both full of utterly unlikeable characters who stand around like a bored vaudeville act and give weak setups and punchlines and then pause for the audience to stop losing their poo poo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I remember watching Nick at Night as a kid. I knew it was my bedtime when Alfred Hitchcock Presents came on. The opening theme still makes me think of bedtime.
https://youtu.be/Fmeb-f4pthA

I suppose that the universality of on demand streaming makes such associations obsolete.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You can lie and say you were on an episode of are you afraid of the dark, no one's gonna check.

They will check if you say you were on one of the game shows.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How I Met Your Mother cast Wayne Brady as Neil Patrick Harris' brother and that sure was something.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I love who's line is it anyway but it's really ready for a long sleep and some fresh ideas

Might have been partially me binge watching episodes in the background and catching the bad parts but so often the celebrity guest features seemed to boil down to "here's an attractive lady, let's have middle aged men paw at them", and on musical numbers often using the black talent to do music largely stereotypically associated with black folks- wayne brady/aisha called it out a few times themselves over the seasons

That and a few bits of transphobia and a general lack of female talent being used made watching them a bit less fun than it should have been otherwise

spling-dong!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Volcott posted:

You can lie and say you were on an episode of are you afraid of the dark, no one's gonna check.

They will check if you say you were on one of the game shows.

AYAOTD had like 20 actors total and I think they were probably mostly Canadian. (I'm exaggerating, but they did repeat the actors a lot)

I am a huge AYAOTD fan. It holds up! It's actually even better now because it's got the 90s vibe to it. It is definitely not media that did not age well. And if you said you were in AYAOTD I would definitely grill you on it, and you better have an encyclopedic knowledge of at least one episode to lie your way through it.

That episode with the haunted pool, holy poo poo. And I swear sometimes kids would just die like I think in that episode where there was a haunted box in a kids basement and it eats the bully, he's just dead?

Or that episode where the kids move into a town and play hide and seek in the graveyard and there are these ghost stories about the gravekeeper but then big twist it's not the gravekeeper it's the kids who are dead!

The computer virus episode is literally the single best piece of 90s computer TV ever made.

I just get so pumped whenever anyone brings up AYAOTD.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly my favorite part of AYAOTD has to be the finale because it’s exactly the kind of insane idea every kid would come up with as fanfiction or something and they did it and it works perfectly.

These days the Midnight Society finding a real haunted carnival would be a season long mystery box plot and someone would die and the brothers would have dark secrets. Instead it’s maybe I can’t remember a two parter and the older brother comes back to help and it’s just a satisfying resolution to the show as a whole.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What I always wanted to know in AYAOTD was in like the first episode where the kid is haunted by the killer clown for stealing his nose, where the gently caress did he get a box of cigars to pay the clown off with?

Like, I know the early 90s were a different time, poo poo, it's when I did most of my growing up, but even then I don't remember being able to just walk into the store and buy a case of cigars, not unless the cashier knew your family and knew you were getting them for your grandpa or something that you'd have to live in a small town to get away with.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

What I always wanted to know in AYAOTD was in like the first episode where the kid is haunted by the killer clown for stealing his nose, where the gently caress did he get a box of cigars to pay the clown off with?

Like, I know the early 90s were a different time, poo poo, it's when I did most of my growing up, but even then I don't remember being able to just walk into the store and buy a case of cigars, not unless the cashier knew your family and knew you were getting them for your grandpa or something that you'd have to live in a small town to get away with.

We used to help run the local sailing club's bar (really not as posh as it sounds) in the early nineties. I distinctly remember swiping a few cigars at the age of 13 when my dad's back was turned, and going into the woods to smoke them with my friends. Not the best thing to start your smoking career with tbh.

Anyway they probably stole/'borrowed' them.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Yes, it primarily has aired hours of Friends for years and years.

I was going to joke that Friends was probably as old as I Love Lucy was at the time but look like we'd need another decade.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rondette posted:

We used to help run the local sailing club's bar (really not as posh as it sounds) in the early nineties. I distinctly remember swiping a few cigars at the age of 13 when my dad's back was turned, and going into the woods to smoke them with my friends. Not the best thing to start your smoking career with tbh.

Anyway they probably stole/'borrowed' them.
That's uncannily exact (but not precisely) like much adored sitcom TV character Marshall from thread favourite sitcom HIMYM. Not even joking haha!

Speaking of which, the sheer volume of anti smoking ads in the 00s put out by health departments worldwide. Just targeting youth who are never ever going to smoke cigarettes anyway because vaping is just around the corner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australian anti-smoking ads are the real poo poo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

deoju posted:

I remember watching Nick at Night as a kid. I knew it was my bedtime when Alfred Hitchcock Presents came on. The opening theme still makes me think of bedtime.
https://youtu.be/Fmeb-f4pthA

I suppose that the universality of on demand streaming makes such associations obsolete.

For me, my bedtime was extended half and hour when they started airing Get Smart so I could watch it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

DesperateDan posted:

I love who's line is it anyway but it's really ready for a long sleep and some fresh ideas

Might have been partially me binge watching episodes in the background and catching the bad parts but so often the celebrity guest features seemed to boil down to "here's an attractive lady, let's have middle aged men paw at them", and on musical numbers often using the black talent to do music largely stereotypically associated with black folks- wayne brady/aisha called it out a few times themselves over the seasons

That and a few bits of transphobia and a general lack of female talent being used made watching them a bit less fun than it should have been otherwise
I think the best successor to the Who's Line Is it energy is Dropout's Game Changers or their spinoff, Make Some Noise. There's a bunch of free episodes up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcbNm-6PEQ

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
♪ We are not toys. ♪
♪ We are not toys! ♪

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I still get Welcome to Mountport stuck in my head. How can that be? Like physically, how can that be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbF1AJPqP1M

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

exquisite tea posted:

I still get Welcome to Mountport stuck in my head. How can that be? Like physically, how can that be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbF1AJPqP1M

That song cracks me up, folks clearly have never been to the pacific northwest or SE Alaska, or like any fjord ever. Giant mountains just rocketing straight up out of the ocean.
e: but it's also really funny, that entire improvised musical is gold from start to finish.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

How I Met Your Mother had the advantage of the mystery box in the form of the mother, and I think one thing people were looking forward too is meeting her and seeing her group dynamic, as we were told how well she fit in the group and hinted at funny things they did.

A lot of goodwill post ending was lost because we don’t have Ted meet her until the literal end, then she dies.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think it's really interesting how shows who fail to stick the landing causes them to be memory holed instantly. I have no idea how you could research it, though.

HIMYM
GoT
Lost
BSG

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Beachcomber posted:

I think it's really interesting how shows who fail to stick the landing causes them to be memory holed instantly. I have no idea how you could research it, though.

HIMYM
GoT
Lost
BSG

None of these are real; you just made them up

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Beachcomber posted:

HIMYM
GoT
Lost
BSG

Dexter
Roseanne
Merlin

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Rome :negative:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The series or the empire? :v:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

HIMYM
GoT
Lost
BSG

On the other hand, the X-files poo poo the bed on its plot from the beginning, and people still fondly watch it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

The series or the empire? :v:

The spin-off has been very successful, even with the sex scandals.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

The spin-off has been very successful, even with the sex scandals.

Wait which spinoff was that?

Rome: Byzantium?
Rome: Italy?
Rome: United States
Rome: France?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Byzantium wasn't a spin-off, it's a fan term for the last 2/3rds of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mooseontheloose posted:

Wait which spinoff was that?

Rome: Byzantium?
Rome: Italy?
Rome: United States
Rome: France?