Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Incredible level of extra style points to produce an original song to go with one's own milestone speedrun record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
BigJon is running the Mario Shuffler on Retrothon right now and it's incredible, gods bless this man.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speedrunners discover that the standard "clip through the ceiling" glitch isn't actually faster than "going up the stairs like a normal person"

https://twitter.com/GreenSuigi/status/1651733812802379778

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Speedrunners discover that the standard "clip through the ceiling" glitch isn't actually faster than "going up the stairs like a normal person"

they have literally done this forever, one of the earliest WRs from 2006 hilariously attempts to clip the wall and does a wallkick instead.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

lmao

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Carbon dioxide posted:

lmfao

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It isn't as cool, though. So... choices.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
not exactly sure how much I would call that rollout to build speed going up the stairs "like a normal person"

Suigi has WR in basically every short category, his level of control over Mario is unmatched.

plus in the replies he says this is actually 1 frame slower on top of being way harder

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah I saw that and don't understand if the real time is the same or even .03s faster how can it be one frame slower?

Or I guess if SM64 uses real time, why does it matter which one saves more frames?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SeXReX posted:

not exactly sure how much I would call that rollout to build speed going up the stairs "like a normal person"

Suigi has WR in basically every short category, his level of control over Mario is unmatched.

plus in the replies he says this is actually 1 frame slower on top of being way harder

Where does he say that it's harder? Everything I see in the thread implies the opposite - it's easier and if you do it ideally it's as fast - it's only 1 frame slower than doing the other strat because he has mastered the other one but not the "run up the stairs" one.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Well maybe I got confused when I read this tweet where he says it's slower

https://twitter.com/GreenSuigi/status/1651821394097848321?t=gLDjvrnsdPlFLE6XdbdNrQ&s=19

And then this one where he says it's harder

https://twitter.com/GreenSuigi/status/1651988993368633352?t=cwo0HpF4wDAv-w4pdgiwPQ&s=19

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ok thanks, I saw the first one (it's what I was talking about) but the second just didn't pop up in the main thread, so I didn't see that. I wasn't being sarcastic or attacking you or anything, I just didn't see it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I am here to defend sexrex's honor from your deceitful blows. They will be avenged!!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It turns out just a little bit of preparation can result in huge time savings. Spent about 5 hours yesterday doing a dry run and taking notes, then did a live run today. Took almost 20 minutes off my previous PB and still see at least 5 more I can save from routing alone, not to mention execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNsk2t0EbAc

1:30 is my pie-in-the-sky goal but I'd be happy to get it down to 1:35.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Xerol posted:

1:30 is my pie-in-the-sky goal but I'd be happy to get it down to 1:35.

I haven't timed it, but I think the "raised in the streets" starting path for humans, then choosing the option to save your friend may be a bit faster than the other starter options by a little bit. Also warrior has a few more movement skills with 1H and 2H sword that speed things up a bit too. I was also watching some guy who used guardian and the executioner and choya potions (the one that can roll) to move faster in instances too with Guardian, but I'm not about to spend gems just for that.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

How competitive is the GW2 speedrunnin' scene?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

AFAIK no one else is really running story modes (yet) but there's a ton of src leaderboards for raid wings and mount races. And then there's the 100% map completion category which I don't really like the rules for (you can prep items on another character which cuts off collecting them for about a third of the quest hearts).

Marathon run of the map completion category

As I hash out the route more I've also started putting down the rules I play by for this mode, which is basically designed to make it fairer in a game where people can have tens of thousands of hours and all the associated benefits thereof. Some examples:

You need to get to level 60 to unlock the last story step in this run. Tomes of Knowledge (+1 level) are easy to grind out and most players have loads of extras since the game throws them at you constantly, so this is something that's reasonable to include. A lot of people also have experience scrolls which take a character from whatever level they are to level 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60. But you can only get those from birthday gifts that come from having a character for 1-6 years so it's not really reasonable to expect people to use those on runs.

Similarly with items I'm not allowing things that let you teleport around the world, any equipment, or even buying equipment from the trading post during the run (but NPCs are okay, if you can find time for them). Currencies are shared accountwide so it's kind of an honor system that you'll end the run with more gold than you started with. Legendary equipment is also accountbound but only accessible at level 80 and also a significant time and resource investment, so again this wouldn't really be fair to someone with a moderate amount of playtime.

On the other hand, the raptor mount that I use for most of the run is available within minutes of starting the 2nd expansion's story (which you can do at any time with a level 80 character, and it unlocks for all characters on the account regardless of level at that point). You do need to spend a couple hours getting the masteries that let the raptor leap forward and jump over gaps but that's not really what I'd call a significant time investment in an MMO sense. The roller beetle mount is from one of the between-expansion minisodes and was a bit more of a timesink to get. And there's flying mounts that require a ton of resources and activities to get. This is an area it's hard to draw a line for, and the time savings from the flying mounts at least I don't think is significant enough to disqualify them (especially when compared to the advantage you'd get from using an experience scroll or pre-banked equipment). I also use two of the other mounts you get from that expansion in a few places.

I'm thinking there's basically three "levels" of support you can use and this is the middle one. The lower one is starting with nothing on a F2P account, having to get all the levels along the way. And the higher one is basically "anything goes" - use your scrolls, 80 boosts, legendaries, etc.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I haven't timed it, but I think the "raised in the streets" starting path for humans, then choosing the option to save your friend may be a bit faster than the other starter options by a little bit. Also warrior has a few more movement skills with 1H and 2H sword that speed things up a bit too. I was also watching some guy who used guardian and the executioner and choya potions (the one that can roll) to move faster in instances too with Guardian, but I'm not about to spend gems just for that.

If I was more familiar with them I'd think thief or mesmer would be best for the mobility options those give, but since you're going with found gear I'm not so sure about the damage or survivability. I'm using Guardian only because I'm most familiar with their skillset, they also have great damage and survivability and nice weapon choices. One thing I didn't get in this run was a sword for main hand on my weapon swap, because I accidentally salvaged the one I got from level rewards and didn't get another one to drop until nearly the end of the run.

I did want to experiment with other paths eventually, but I've always heard that commoner / dead sister was the path most key farmers use. I also think it would be fun to have races where everyone runs the same randomly selected race/profession/background choices.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 5, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SmallAnt did a 100% BoTW run in less than a day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMPTSiOuNpA

This is one of those games where even the idea of a 100% run is mind-boggling to me, I'm looking forward to watching this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The ff1 rando discord is hosting a weekend rando marathon June 16-18, but mainly I'm posting because this must be the most annoying schedule format I've seen

https://asteroidg.com/marathon/

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress, sgdq starts next week?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

bike tory posted:

For me, it starts in about... 32 hours. Because I need to leave at rear end o'clock and drive across Nebraska again.

Lots of new stuff in the Tracker this go around, but most of it's backend stuff that viewers won't notice.

The one big exception is the ability to explicitly chain "stretch goals" together so that people can see a multi-tiered bar for donation challenges. I think the plan is to use it exactly once this event and see how people like it. More than once we've tried to get creative with donation incentives and just ended up confusing people.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

bike tory posted:

So ready for this bullshit. SGDQ 2022 was my first in-person main event and this time I'm around I'm staying longer and doing a run.

Can't wait for the joy of getting a 2005 PC game to run on the computer on stage.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

True Crime New York was such a fever dream when I first saw it in BBG. I believe I’m ready to witness it again

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

pmcTRILOGY posted:

So ready for this bullshit. SGDQ 2022 was my first in-person main event and this time I'm around I'm staying longer and doing a run.
[snip]

And I'm gonna be on the couch for it!

I'm arriving early tomorrow morning and got a full day of pre-show prep and hosting/donations orientations. Probably gonna be camped out in the stream room the whole day.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Musical_Daredevil posted:

And I'm gonna be on the couch for it!

I'm arriving early tomorrow morning and got a full day of pre-show prep and hosting/donations orientations. Probably gonna be camped out in the stream room the whole day.
You and pmcTRILOGY realize that you're gonna need to indoctrinate danejesus into goondom if they aren't already one of us, right?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Huh, I'm just checking the schedule and it feels odd to have the Super Metroid finale run at 1 AM my time. It seems like that would limit save/kill the animal donations, but I guess maybe it works out to do it with different time zones. Or else it's just my age showing that I'm actually planning to be asleep at 1-2AM (or more realistically 3-4AM after delays pop up).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bremen posted:

Huh, I'm just checking the schedule and it feels odd to have the Super Metroid finale run at 1 AM my time. It seems like that would limit save/kill the animal donations, but I guess maybe it works out to do it with different time zones. Or else it's just my age showing that I'm actually planning to be asleep at 1-2AM (or more realistically 3-4AM after delays pop up).

On the other hand it is announced for 9am my time, which might make this the first year where I can watch the sgdq finale.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm so ready to :orb:

What's everyone looking forward to on this schedule? I'm intensely curious about a Ring Fit speedrun, and beyond that, my highlights are looking like:

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix Any% Proud Race
Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster Any%
Pokemon S/V with eddaket
Pokemon Colosseum with swiftalu
Darkest Dungeon
Elder Scrolls Anthology
Silent Hill: Homepour All Bosses NG+
Thief Any%
StepManiaX Showcase
Gauntlet Any% co-op
Sifu WUDE Any% (Master)
Super Mario Maker 2 Relay

And of course, the GOAT: Pepsiman any%

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Overcooked 2
Maniac Mansion
MGS Twin Snakes
Dead Rising 2 Timeskip NG
Paper mario
Golf it!
Give Me Toilet Paper! Hand%
GTA San Andreas any%
Mega Man 6 2p1c any%
Celeste TAS
SM64 70 star rando non-stop
Elden Ring any% glitchless
breath of the wild any% blindfolded (this will be a VOD because i haven't played BOTW yet)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
F-Zero X - it's no GX, but it still feels awesome to watch
SNOLF - a pretty insane romhack take on Sonic
The Elder Scrolls Anthology - from Arena sewers to killing Alduin in under 2h
Gauntlet - coop is easily more annoying than helpful in og Gauntlet, curious to see how the run works
Touhou 14.3 - bullet hell is always impressive
Trine Enchanted Edition - I can't begin to imagine how the physics get broken to clear this under 25 minutes
VVVVVV - love the game and it never gets old to watch people who perfected it
Super Mario Maker 2 - mario maker races are always a great show, it's great to see the live adaptation to unknown levels
Zelda BOTW - category is "Any% blindfolded", that speaks for itself

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I found more runs than I thought I'm at least interested in checking out. Lots of games I've never heard of but look kind of interesting.

Ones I'm looking forward to:

Bugsnax - Because the bits I've seen look great.
PHOGS! - I have never heard of this game but the trailer looked adorable.
Hearthstone - I haven't played in forever but I watch streams sometimes, seeing it at GDQ should be fun.
Choo-Choo Charles: I wish this wasn't at 1AM, maybe I'll catch the VOD.
Pocky and Rocky Reshrined: I liked the SNES games, curious about the (I assume) remaster.
Pizza Tower: Never played or watched it, heard good things.
Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster: I played the original so much as a kid.
I Wanna Be the Guy Remastered: These runs are always fun.
Super Mario Bros: It's like the classic speedrun game, and it's not like it's going to take too long to watch.
Super Mario Maker Relay: These are always incredible. Most anticipated run for me.
Super Metroid Co-Op: I probably won't watch it live due to the time, but I'll catch the VOD.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

on the one hand there aren't many games i am specifically looking forward to, on the other i work semi on-call and was not scheduled next week and likely won't be working throughout sgdq, so it'll be a lot easier to watch every single run i want to watch.

i think mario maker is the thing i am most looking forward to and i will be rooting for shoujo and thabeast irrespective of which teams they are on

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Shoujo's solo run of Sure Shot should be really good, Maddy Thorson will be there on the couch and the other maker of the hack, MargotSimone, will be on call.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I usually go in these events pretty unaware what's gonna happen and usually be surprised a lot as a result. For now I know that amad is in with Shatterhand and Joshimuz is also doing a run which both I'm looking forward to seeing.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I just know about the Silent Hill Homepour one and I want to watch it just to see the stream setup. Other than that, I'm flying blind but usually GDQ delivers. Can't find any Silly Block, is it the games around Pepsiman?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Yeah silly is around pepsiman

e: I am hauling my Bri'ish rear end out to the states to attend SGDQ2023, it's my first visit to the states and my first event I'm attending in-person, any goon or goon adjacent people attending HMU I would love to hang!

I'll be staying at the Hilton all week and flying back after the event ends next Sunday.

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 27, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm curious if Loom, Peggle Deluxe and Hearthstone: Knights of the Frozen Throne solo adventures can make for interesting runs. Godlike runners? Insane tricks? Mindblowing bugs/glitches? Amazing commentary? Surprise me please! The Peggle Deluxe run is given an hour and 20 minutes so they're going to need something special to fill that space.

Alpha Prime has been part of my Steam account for more than a decade and I heard that FPS definitely is something special. Time to see and hear what it is all about.

I look forward to seeing what Hi-Fi Rush, Returnal and Pizza Tower are like when they are played by people who have sunk many an hour into those games.

I'm not sure if the Hitman 3 any% Freelancer campaign will be interesting, but hey, I really dig that series so I'm definitely watching that.

CovertMuffin is doing another Star Wars game, and while Dark Forces (probably?) doesn't have the insane momentum that Jedi Knight gets I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.

Also, I don't know the specifics about what The Elder Scrolls Anthology marathon run is like, but I'm on board. I'm assuming Arena-Daggerfall-Morrowind-Oblivion-Skyrim in a row.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SGDQ thread will be finished up and posted after I've slept, it kinda snuck up on me and also all of my free time has gone to playing Tears of the Kingdom. But there definitely will be a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Here be a SGDQ 2023 thread!