Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

its down now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Cspam Ukraine thread wouldn't do that. D&D wouldn't either I would think.

as a poster specially attuned to and used to getting probed in D&D, you absolutely would get probed in DnD for that post if you weren't a regular in that thread.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Queue the boomer apologia.

cue the rear end in a top hat who didn't finish reading the thread before responding, and who also doesn't know the correct way to spell "cue"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

cue the rear end in a top hat who didn't finish reading the thread before responding, and who also doesn't know the correct way to spell "cue"

channeling real D&D energy, ironically

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

its down now

sell on the news!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shageletic posted:

as a poster specially attuned to and used to getting probed in D&D, you absolutely would get probed in DnD for that post if you weren't a regular in that thread.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Harik posted:

nah you can get it appraised at whatever value you want. worst case if you still think it's too high have some black friends be there to greet the appraiser, that's an easy 30% off the value.

what

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Azuth0667 posted:

this dude claims to work in education :eng99:

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Pretty sure they're referring to a study from a while back that showed homes owned by african american couples were appraised at a lower value across the board. It was a while ago so dont remember the details. I think they even did the same house with both a white couple and black and it still got appraised lower when the black couple was there.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i have education

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Azuth0667 posted:

came to post this

Willa Is Right Tho

etc etc

so let's skip to the next part: number

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
We had a royal commission into aged care here in Australia and the reports that were released were horrifying. Like maggots infesting people's open wounds, people wallowing in their own poo poo, being forcibly restrained, being fed garbage. Of course the whole point of an RC is to do a big song and dance about something without actually doing anything, so the reforms that followed have not addressed most of the (huge, systemic) problems identified by the RC. The industry is functioning correctly, which is to say it's very good at bleeding you and your loved ones dry

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

this dude claims to work in education :eng99:

Sounds about right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dealing with a hospice firm last year tho I was impressed by them. go hospice !

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

err posted:

youll just have more dudes looking like this ready to blast anyone that steps out of line

Yeah, I expect they'll be even shittier than that though.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Covid was the best thing to ever happen to the for-profit care industry in the u.s.: They got extra government money for housing covid patients; they had in-person inspections & family-member visits suspended by the (mainly northern, mainly democratic) governors; and they got to write the sections of the governors' executive orders that covered their sector, like banning in-person inspections & family-member visits.

Reminder that 80 percent of Minnesota's & 60 percent of Pennsylvania's initial months of covid deaths were among residents of longterm care.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

dealing with a hospice firm last year tho I was impressed by them. go hospice !

The NYT had a story last year (I think) about the realities of home hospice & p. much made the case that dying at home is not gentle & loving experience that the movies make it out to be, which any family member who's gone through it will testify.

The hospice centers are generally good (my mom died in one) but the rent-seeking in that sector has shaped the industry for the worse, as it has with LTC.

Endgame: How the Visionary Hospice Movement Became a For-Profit Hustle

quote:

It might be counterintuitive to run an enterprise that is wholly dependent on clients who aren’t long for this world, but companies in the hospice business can expect some of the biggest returns for the least amount of effort of any sector in American health care. Medicare pays providers a set rate per patient per day, regardless of how much help they deliver. Since most hospice care takes place at home and nurses aren’t required to visit more than twice a month, it’s not difficult to keep overhead low and to outsource the bulk of the labor to unpaid family members — assuming that willing family members are at hand.

Up to a point, the way Medicare has designed the hospice benefit rewards providers for recruiting patients who aren’t imminently dying. Long hospice stays translate into larger margins, and stable patients require fewer expensive medications and supplies than those in the final throes of illness. Although two doctors must initially certify that a patient is terminally ill, she can be recertified as such again and again.

Almost immediately after the AseraCare takeover, Farmer’s supervisors set steep targets for the number of patients marketers had to sign up and presented those who met admissions quotas with cash bonuses and perks, including popcorn machines and massage chairs. Employees who couldn’t hit their numbers were fired. Farmer prided herself on being competitive and liked to say, “I can sell ice to an Eskimo.” But as her remit expanded to include the management of AseraCare outposts in Foley and Mobile, she began to resent the demand to bring in more bodies. Before one meeting with her supervisor, Jeff Boling, she stayed up late crunching data on car wrecks, cancer and heart disease to figure out how many people in her territories might be expected to die that year. When she showed Boling that the numbers didn’t match what she called his “ungodly quotas,” he was unmoved. “If you can’t do it,” she recalled him telling her, “we’ll find someone who can.”

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Reminder that 80 percent of Minnesota's & 60 percent of Pennsylvania's initial months of covid deaths were among residents of longterm care.

"America's Heartthrob" turned "History's Greatest Monster", Andrew Cuomo, was definitely up there in the murdering old folks business.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

For those of you interested in just absolutely hilariously obvious market manipulation

e: it's at 160, lmao

WrasslorMonkey has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Apr 28, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

The NYT had a story last year (I think) about the realities of home hospice & p. much made the case that dying at home is not gentle & loving experience that the movies make it out to be, which any family member who's gone through it will testify.

The hospice centers are generally good (my mom died in one) but the rent-seeking in that sector has shaped the industry for the worse, as it has with LTC.

Endgame: How the Visionary Hospice Movement Became a For-Profit Hustle

the local one we used wasn’t anything like this thank the gods

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

"America's Heartthrob" turned "History's Greatest Monster", Andrew Cuomo, was definitely up there in the murdering old folks business.

Yeah but he hosed up the reporting so bad there's no way of knowing the actual extent. And back then he was not only lauded as the Wise Expert in Handling Covid but was also leading the National Governors Association at the time.

Remember the pic of the NJ care home of sheet-covered corpses stuck in a room? Phil Murphy, gov. of NJ since 2018, is the current head of the NGA.

I tracked the nursing-home stats & stories during 2020 and it still makes me want to puke to think of some of the stuff I read (and still have bookmarked).

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/cburgazzi/status/1648399871798394880?t=-TzKVlksqxXbWSZQlhk4fg&s=19

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

skooma512 posted:

I just don't know a way around it. I know it's coming, but what the hell can people do when they are barely getting by on the expenses now, let alone a new rent payment that's triple even major metro rent.

De-lurking to post a PSA for goons with parents who are getting older.

Medicare is absolutely not going to pay for most people’s long-term care needs. If they have the luxury of time they should absolutely consult an elder law attorney and make a plan for the best way to fund it. For us it’s looking like protecting some assets + the house now and planning to qualify for Medicaid later.

*I am not a lawyer but we just met with one this afternoon. Also I watched a fuckton of YouTube videos and now I know words like “countable assets” and “clawbacks.” :eng101:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/as_a_worker/status/1651723697319804930?t=n7TfoViQFuoU2OZ6vG_iew&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hello lurker 👋

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1651552018639585281?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this reminds me a lot of the “block chain “ news cycle

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

You need to pay anyway. My grandmother lived with my mom essentially until her death (the last 5-6 months were unavoidably spent in various rehab/nursing facilities) and there was no way to avoid having in-house care for 50-60 hours per week because she couldn't be alone, the alternative would have been a nursing home. Dealing with someone who had dementia also meant getting basically no sleep, which had some really horrific impacts on my mom's health and overall quality of life.

End of life care is extremely hard and extremely costly and not something that most families or individuals can manage on their own.
i think we should just culturally accept it's probably time for the sleepy needle with late-stage dementia sets in and an individual can no longer be trusted to be left alone for a few hours. i, and pretty much everyone else I know, is 100% down to get put down when you can't even understand what day it is or can no longer take a piss by yourself

the whole protestant americana mindset of "keep everyone alive as long as possible, no ifs-buts is what jesus wanted" leads to some really loving grotesque poo poo (i.e. terry schiavo)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

euphronius posted:

this reminds me a lot of the “block chain “ news cycle

Thread title

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people with dementia can be (not always ) really happy so idk

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we have the resources and moral responsibility to take of old people. capital is just loving it up

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

euphronius posted:

hello lurker 👋

hello! happy to finally have something to add to the artisanal doom-forward vibes-based posting yall got going on in here.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
it's flipping the script on the well-known phenomenon of appraisers turbo-making GBS threads on black families.

if you're black and you want to get anything close to the real value of your home pack up all your pictures and have a white friend pretend it's their home for the appraisal. People are seeing 25-35% differences on the same home just by swapping out the family pictures, lol.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

capital is just loving it up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ChatGPT can't consistently convert LaTeX to unicode or other text formats, so I wouldn't worry too much.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

ChatGPT can't consistently convert LaTeX to unicode or other text formats, so I wouldn't worry too much.

it does some things ok but the token limits on the gpt-3/3.5 models are brutal and gpt-4 is obscenely expensive

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Number

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully technology can never advance or get better at doing things

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
why do they always frame it as "if X replaces Y", and then do their analysis based on that

like it's never a light switch 100% to 0%. it's incremental, and punctuated as the tech improves. not to say it can't be disruptive, but all or nothing analysis is so dumb.

anyway gpt is cool and helps me do python, regex and sql that would be a pain in the rear end for me, an idiot, otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

WrasslorMonkey posted:

For those of you interested in just absolutely hilariously obvious market manipulation

e: it's at 160, lmao

This went on to hit 200, drop to 100, then go up to 260, and ended at 230.

Zero news, just pure pumping madness. Craziest poo poo I've ever seen (I wasn't watching the HKD bullshit).