Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nfl draft tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

euphronius posted:

ain’t got no one who can guard embiid

his own knee

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the battle of wounded knee

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

there very well could be no champion this year

In Training posted:

sitting down for this latest euphonious post.

When I started reading these posts I thought they were either rantings of a madman or absurdist performance art but time has passed and predictions were made and outcomes are now known and now I find myself either agreeing with them without examination or thinking about them like zen koans. I cannot tell if I have gone mad or if I now understand basketball on an entirely spiritual plane. I can't even remember what it was like before.

I wish I were joking

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me here 🙏

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
basketball is not about baskets or balls but something else entirely

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dreylad posted:

basketball is not about baskets or balls but something else entirely

yeah it's about buckets

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ClassActionFursuit posted:

When I started reading these posts I thought they were either rantings of a madman or absurdist performance art but time has passed and predictions were made and outcomes are now known and now I find myself either agreeing with them without examination or thinking about them like zen koans. I cannot tell if I have gone mad or if I now understand basketball on an entirely spiritual plane. I can't even remember what it was like before.

I wish I were joking

Glad you are emerging from the cave and seeing true reality.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

a new study bible! posted:

Robinson- good
Randle- really good
Brunson- really good
Quickly- good
Hart- good

glad we gave up brunson

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Euph's thing is that he argues straightforwardly nonsensical points like "there is no such thing as a passing touchdown" with complete and utter conviction

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the bigger they are the harder they fall
the bigger the heart the harder they ball
crossover pull-up swish, get the J off
alleyoop slam dunk - playoffs
so I suggest you get your game up player
If you’re ready for the playoffs say “yayuh”
we about to clown (why)
cause it's about to go down

team by team
round by round
end of the night
it’s going down
you already know
game-winning shot
end of the night
it’s going down

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Euph's thing is that he argues straightforwardly nonsensical points like "there is no such thing as a passing touchdown" with complete and utter conviction

They still teach sophism in law school.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

That’s probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me here 🙏

You'd think sports enjoyment would be open to all and it is, but when you think about it, talking about sports only takes place through an incredibly narrow lens. And while you can choose to be a hot take maker or a dogmatic consensus agree-er, what you can't be is someone who believes things outside the mainstream, who has opinions that are genuine but not en vogue, or someone who uses language and jargon that isn't what everyone else is using. We all have to discuss sports in those old terms but this thread is interesting to me because you actively break those conventions while still having all of the human aspects of sports fandom (like homerism, rationalizations to benefit your positions, etc.)

This thread shows how inclusive and fun sports fandom should be but often isn't, and of course it is that way because you created it for yourself. Once one appreciates it for being that rather than just another place to bitch about the Celtics getting too many calls I think anyone can see the value and uniqueness in it

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 28, 2023

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

Exactly what I was thinking of when I say euph has given us a space to talk about sports in a way no one thought was possible

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

BOSTON CELTICS
G 9 Derrick White
G 36 Marcus Smart
C 42 Al Horford
F 7 Jaylen Brown
F 0 Jayson Tatum

ATLANTA HAWKS
G 11 Trae Young
G 5 Dejounte Murray
C 15 Clint Capela
F 20 John Collins
F 12 De'andre Hunter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

or is he and edge rusher

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You'd think sports enjoyment would be open to all and it is, but when you think about it, talking about sports only takes place through an incredibly narrow lens. And while you can choose to be a hot take maker or a dogmatic consensus agree-er, what you can't be is someone who believes things outside the mainstream, who has opinions that are genuine but not en vogue, or someone who uses language and jargon that isn't what everyone else is using. We all have to discuss sports in those old terms but this thread is interesting to me because you actively break those conventions while still having all of the human aspects of sports fandom (like homerism, rationalizations to benefit your positions, etc.)

This thread shows how inclusive and fun sports fandom should be but often isn't, and of course it is that way because you created it for yourself. Once one appreciates it for being that rather than just another place to bitch about the Celtics getting too many calls I think anyone can see the value and uniqueness in it

for sure man. Let's go BROOKLYN!!!!!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In Training posted:

for sure man. Let's go BROOKLYN!!!!!!

idk the culture in nyc but do nets fans pivot to the knicks or is it exactly the opposite and you pivot anything BUT the knicks?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Smart with a quick 7 plus 2 disposals

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

idk the culture in nyc but do nets fans pivot to the knicks or it exactly the opposite and you pivot anything BUT the knicks?

anything but the Knicks for me at least. The nets have a pretty tiny fan base tho, the arena gets filled but at like sports bars around the city it's Knicks everywhere I've gone. I mean it's not surprising, moving a franchise and getting people to care is hard, I root for the nets bc I homer for the Jersey franchises.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The double-digit lead is the natural enemy of the Boston Celtic

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TDepressionEarl posted:

Smart with a quick 7 plus 2 disposals

and 2 OREBs unless that is what disposals means

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Salvor_Hardin posted:

and 2 OREBs unless that is what disposals means

nope i meant assists, he's done quite well, 9 now

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Jaylen is ice cold

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

In Training posted:

anything but the Knicks for me at least. The nets have a pretty tiny fan base tho, the arena gets filled but at like sports bars around the city it's Knicks everywhere I've gone. I mean it's not surprising, moving a franchise and getting people to care is hard, I root for the nets bc I homer for the Jersey franchises.

In baseball and football rivalries are made in the regular season, in the division races.

In basketball, rivalries develop in the playoffs. Your description sounds like the Kings and Warriors relationship, at least before this series, mostly just annoyed at the other team when one is considered big market and one is considered small based entirely on recent success. It baffled me how much purple I would see in the Bay around 2000.

Only now Kings vs Warriors feels like a real rivalry. Before we'd both just get pissed at the Lakers.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
BBall Paul is going to feast against this Celtics frontcourt

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee posted:

BBall Paul is going to feast against this Celtics frontcourt

He will be stopped by Grant Williams

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rebounding is once again terrible, been a real weakness this series

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

slow start for the green forwards

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Young has 18 points in the first, he's filling the Butler role here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

loquacius posted:

Young has 18 points in the first, he's filling the Butler role here

someone said he was a Butler type but I think you need to be able to rally teammates to play better rather than just score more points

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

someone said he was a Butler type but I think you need to be able to rally teammates to play better rather than just score more points

I honestly dont see the comp at all except that they are super frustrating to lose to.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I honestly dont see the comp at all except that they are super frustrating to lose to.

they both get better in the playoffs. but I think Jimmy gets better in a different way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Jaylen is ice cold

yeah

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Celtics are just too tired. They've played five postseason games already!

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

now that he's in the starting lineup i may have to concede derrick white might be better than just good.

brogdon doesn't quite catch my eye as an all-star level sixth man the way sweet lou williams was. shame he never got selected, shame the griffin clippers window shattered.

think we'll see blake tonight?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Hawks look like they believe in themselves in a way they seldom have in the past. The Celtics really shouldn't be having this much trouble blowing this team out

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They're not too similar as players but are filling similar roles by singlehandedly keeping their teams in the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jaylen has huge like dwarven size grudge against the Celtics

wonder if that is an issue