Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Okay I might forgive blizzard for the lovely state of battlegrounds for my last game. Got first by making 3 golden tess buddies, a golden scabbs buddy and a golden fireworks man. Just dumped my hand and grabbed a Leeroy or divine shield naga each turn and eliminated anyone I faced after that.

Very dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

bravesword posted:

That’s largely because it folded to Control Warrior, the most powerful deck in the format. Decks with double Brawl and double Shield Shatter had no problem with it. Other decks weren’t quite so fortunate. (Notably, it got nerfed in the same patch that basically dismantled Control Warrior.)

Maybe at some parts of ladder, but the matchup spread shows it was only favored into two decks overall, and even or worse against everything else. It does look like it performs better as you move up ladder, but I think this shows that it wasn't a generically powerful deck and instead had a high skill cap. VS had this to say: "Naga Mage has seen a rise in play at legend as it has proven to be one of the better decks outside of the three most popular classes."

This is from report 233 (right before the nerf), sorry about the screenshot for ants since I'm on mobile.

If it comes back strong that's great, the game is more fun with more competitive variety.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

fanny packrat posted:

Maybe at some parts of ladder, but the matchup spread shows it was only favored into two decks overall, and even or worse against everything else. It does look like it performs better as you move up ladder, but I think this shows that it wasn't a generically powerful deck and instead had a high skill cap. VS had this to say: "Naga Mage has seen a rise in play at legend as it has proven to be one of the better decks outside of the three most popular classes."

If it comes back strong that's great, the game is more fun with more competitive variety.

naga mage fits almost perfectly in the mould of the prototypical high skillcap decks. It performed terribly at lower ranks and much, MUCH better at high legend, because it required careful gauging of how much of your resources to commit and when in order to have truly impactful pop-off turns without overcommitting

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Firebert posted:

Spitelash siren is going to be nerfed again within two weeks, no one wants the game to end on turn 4

Eh, keep in mind Mage had a bunch of (annoyingly good) zero mana spells when Spitelash Siren first came out so it's probably not gonna be at nearly the same powerlevel as it was.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
First flame itself carried a lot of turns and that's gone.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

peer posted:

7-1 with Blackrock & Riff Lor'themar warrior :haw:

### nothing beats rock
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Last Stand
# 2x (1) Shield Slam
# 2x (1) Verse Riff
# 2x (2) Bash
# 2x (2) Shield Block
# 2x (3) Chorus Riff
# 1x (3) Rock Master Voone
# 2x (4) Igneous Lavagorger
# 2x (4) Sword Eater
# 1x (5) Blackrock 'n' Roll
# 2x (5) Brawl
# 2x (5) Bridge Riff
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Decimator Olgra
# 2x (6) Fleshshaper
# 1x (7) Lor'themar Theron
# 1x (7) Remornia, Living Blade
# 2x (9) Trenchstalker
#
AAECAZ+rBAaB3ASI3wTvogW2xAWo4AXY9gUMiKAEiaAEsMcE784EjtQEkNQExJIFo6UF6tAF69AF7NAFxp4GAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

That's the content I want to see. Gave it a spin and had an incredible game against a blood DK, where I had a strong early-mid game where I could put a good amount of pressure on them, but they threatened to just outvalue and outlast me. Blackrock'n'roll and Lor'themar where both pretty deep in my deck, back to back, at that point I only had 5 cards left and was in complete topdeck mode. I draw a brawl to get rid of their board, but I'm at 2 hp by this point and next turn the Mograine tick will kill me. What could I possibly even topdeck to save me here? The next card: a 34 attack Trenchstalker, and they have exactly 2 minions on the board. GG.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It is very funny when I drop Rotgill on a full board of buffed totems and they insta-concede

It is very sad when they don't concede and instead use mass silence/destroy

I've also gotten a concede or two from playing Stonewright because they didn't expect my board of useless totems to suddenly get +2 attack across the board

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

That being said, if it feels like totem shaman constantly gets the nut draw, just know that when it draws lovely, poo poo gets real fuckin bad

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The Twig change was pretty much exactly what people were expecting but I honestly thought that if they went that way they would have also changed the statline to like a 3/2 or something vaguely useful. 'Look out, in five turns unless you throw down high attack taunts there's a good chance I will get to refresh my mana' doesn't feel super useful or threatening.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

"Dancing Paladin" is bullllshit

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sorry about my previous post; I got tilted at 2/3 Diamond 1

Anyways, I will never, ever, bother doing this again:

Also, glad I didn't lose to my opponent given their username.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

NorgLyle posted:

The Twig change was pretty much exactly what people were expecting but I honestly thought that if they went that way they would have also changed the statline to like a 3/2 or something vaguely useful. 'Look out, in five turns unless you throw down high attack taunts there's a good chance I will get to refresh my mana' doesn't feel super useful or threatening.

Twig become a problem because they printed a neutral weapon tutor. You play twig, then break it with the neutral weapon (sphere) to gain 10 mana. The tutor made this a really consistent.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
### Prince Enrage
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Foul Egg
# 2x (1) Sanguine Depths
# 2x (1) Sunfury Champion
# 2x (1) Verse Riff
# 2x (2) Anima Extractor
# 2x (2) Embers of Strength
# 1x (2) Instrument Tech
# 2x (2) Roaring Applause
# 2x (2) Rolling Stone
# 2x (3) Chorus Riff
# 2x (3) Hookfist-3000
# 2x (3) Imbued Axe
# 2x (3) Power Slider
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 2x (3) Treasure Guard
# 1x (4) Dispossessed Soul
# 2x (4) Light of the Phoenix
# 1x (4) Thori'belore
# 1x (5) Blackrock 'n' Roll
# 2x (5) Bridge Riff
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Decimator Olgra
# 1x (7) Remornia, Living Blade
# 1x (8) Grommash Hellscream
# 1x (9) Trenchstalker
#
AAECAce+BQqLoASwxwTk0ASB3ASI3wSX7wS2xAW4xQW53QXY9gUPh7cE/9sEvuIEiYMFzZIFj5UFoJkFkaMFpKUFlrcFrcMF6tAF69AF7NAFtNEFAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Currently at Diamond 3 with this which is the closest I've been to legend since like... mean streets of gadgetzan or something? Whenever "mech shaman" was a thing lol

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

fanny packrat posted:

Twig become a problem because they printed a neutral weapon tutor. You play twig, then break it with the neutral weapon (sphere) to gain 10 mana. The tutor made this a really consistent.
I know why it was broken. I'm just saying the nerfed form will never see play in any circumstances. A 1/5 weapon with a fairly powerful deathrattle effect won't trigger aside from with the weapon tutor sphere combo and so I don't know why they wouldn't change it to possibly see play outside of the dumb combo.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
powerslider kinda good now.

they really needed to do more with the riffs...

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

NorgLyle posted:

I know why it was broken. I'm just saying the nerfed form will never see play in any circumstances. A 1/5 weapon with a fairly powerful deathrattle effect won't trigger aside from with the weapon tutor sphere combo and so I don't know why they wouldn't change it to possibly see play outside of the dumb combo.

Honestly, the Hearthstone devs are moving towards the kinds of total card reworks you see in games like Legends of Runeterra, but they aren't willing to take that final step and completely rebuild a card from the ground up. And there's going to be some weird drama if they ever do because the game has gone on for this long without making that kind of change, the same way people got weird when Catrina Muerte became an Undead-focused ressurect card when no one was really using her old version.

(Also, it's one legendary from a six-year-old expansion that probably isn't returning in a future core set. The devs are probably just fine if a card that's that old only exists as part of a single weird Wild combo.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

When Pigs Cry posted:

That's exactly why I like the DK change - they made it less annoying without completely gutting it. I wonder if Reddit won't flip poo poo over discovering cards like Patchwerk/Scourge slightly more often, but it's neat that there's a more concrete way to say certain cards can't be discovered and gives them opportunities to change runes and do this again if they need to.

To be fair, I’ve already had multiple T7 discounted Scourges from Frost, and it’s basically gameswinging if you don’t have a board clear. And who has the most board clears?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Twig was getting played before the weapon tutor and refreshing 10 mana is still a strong effect. I don't think it'll disappear entirely.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Went against one of these earlier and had no idea what the heck was going on.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Color Printer posted:

In very specific circumstances it can be used as a silence effect (to remove a deathrattle or ongoing effect) as a desperate last resort.

so this was about JIVE, INSECT! and hey I just used it to bypass a taunt for lethal lmao

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Color Printer posted:

so this was about JIVE, INSECT! and hey I just used it to bypass a taunt for lethal lmao

Living the dream vision.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I had a dream where there was a Hesrthstone card called Mr. Utensil. He was a minion with a spork head, a fork arm and a spoon arm and he had a little mustache and wore a yellow tux.

His ability was that the next time an enemy cast a fire spell, it would be redirected to him.

I am not insane.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah I'm over Spitelash already, they don't have zero cost spells but they do have infinite burn now so it's way worse

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I somehow have dodged Spitelash today but I just reached Diamond so I'm ready for life to be hell

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Color Printer posted:

As someone who consistently held on to 0-mana Lightrays just because I didn't want to blow my hand too early, I don't think that actually does anything

For the record: no that nerf didn't really do anything lmfao

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Again, with gusto - Discover should never have been three options, and now the entire game revolves around it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You should not be able to Discover cards you've already discovered, because you've already discovered them, so how could you discover them again? It doesn't make sense!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Modern hearthstone has far too many different cards that add extra stuff to your hand that didn’t start out in your deck. Discover effects or dredge effects that tutor things from your deck are fine, but imo they need to tone down the random discovers and opponent deck discover stuff.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Just hit EU Legend with Tony Druid -
I usually go for D5 and coast, but the deck was strong enough that it just naturally carried me to legend.

Really love this deck, because you’ve got about 4 different win conditions and it’s all about figuring out which one to use depending on your draw + opponent. Your strategy really changes match to match, from aggressively ramping into Jailor/Tony (or Tony/Jailor depending on opponent), to developing your HP and keeping a swarm at bay, or pulling off a massive Zok turn…

Didn’t feel like there were any weak matchups - Paladin was about 50-50 depending on draw, Blood DK you’re dodging their infinite Patchwerks, Frost DK was tough but is declining, and the rest felt pretty easy along the way.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cart posted:

Just hit EU Legend with Tony Druid -
I usually go for D5 and coast, but the deck was strong enough that it just naturally carried me to legend.

Really love this deck, because you’ve got about 4 different win conditions and it’s all about figuring out which one to use depending on your draw + opponent. Your strategy really changes match to match, from aggressively ramping into Jailor/Tony (or Tony/Jailor depending on opponent), to developing your HP and keeping a swarm at bay, or pulling off a massive Zok turn…

Didn’t feel like there were any weak matchups - Paladin was about 50-50 depending on draw, Blood DK you’re dodging their infinite Patchwerks, Frost DK was tough but is declining, and the rest felt pretty easy along the way.

I’ve been playing mostly tony, but I’ve been stuck at diamond 5. Would you mind posting your list; and also insights as to what you do vs each class? I’ve never really known what to do other than just try and get the tony-jailer combo out.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Terper posted:

You should not be able to Discover cards you've already discovered, because you've already discovered them, so how could you discover them again? It doesn't make sense!

Honestly, if there was an elegant way to explain this, it would make keyword sense and be kinda perfect. Can't discover cards that aren't new, AKA cards that started in your deck or cards you've discovered once already. Would limit the bullshit without being crippling.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Jeza posted:

Honestly, if there was an elegant way to explain this, it would make keyword sense and be kinda perfect. Can't discover cards that aren't new, AKA cards that started in your deck or cards you've discovered once already. Would limit the bullshit without being crippling.

Honestly, Legends of Runeterra did it by just making "new" a game term that means "card you haven't played before in this game". So it's definitely possible, it's just a question of if it's enough of an actual improvement to the system to be worth the trouble.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You can see Hearthstone trying things like that with Thrive in the Shadows (Discover a spell in your deck) vs Shadow Visions (Discover a copy of a spell in your deck).

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Since the buff I've been enjoying that warrior is seemingly a real class again. These 18+ attack Trenchstalkers are just satisfying when you play them

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I got domed for 34 damage by a trenchstalker earlier, lor'themar after blackrock n roll is pretty spicy

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Speaking of that...

BRnR > Lorthemar > Last stand

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Blackrock 'n' Roll was already a very good card before the warrior buffs, but I'm not sold on the deck yet. I haven't tried building it myself, but I had no problems beating it with Tony Druid and Blood DK, which is not what I would have expected about a deck with a ton of midrange threats. The changes to rune discovery weakened DK substantially in faster matchups BUT it made it a lot easier for Blood DK to find tools like Patchwork to destroy midrange decks, and Warrior does not have the juice to come back from losing cards from their hand.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Top performing DH list on d0nkey.top plays a BIG DEMON package, I gotta take this for a spin later. Glorious!

https://www.d0nkey.top/decks?player_class=DEMONHUNTER

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Hit Diamond for the first time with Totem Shaman yesterday and I'm debating whether or not I want to attempt to trudge my way to legend in the next 2 days (basically 1 because of work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Color Printer posted:

Hit Diamond for the first time with Totem Shaman yesterday and I'm debating whether or not I want to attempt to trudge my way to legend in the next 2 days (basically 1 because of work)

Diamond 5 to legend is often as much effort as bronze to d5. I'd chill and enjoy Dad Legend.