Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

During the (early) cold war, India couldn't produce self sustain food production, America sold tons of grain to India in exchange for influence and got paid in rupee. There was nothing the US could buy with the rupees. Supposedly they brought like 100 copies of every India English language books with the rupees and the US university libraries ended up with better collections of Indian published books.

a huge part of that was also food aid that the US was sending to India, competing with the USSR. The pivot to the green revolution ended that entire sordid affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the removal of state-affiliated media tags is going to lead to a lot of very funny moments like this imo

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

democratic mayors in the us seem like they all want to be Lee kuan yew but are too stupid and incompetent to do it

neoliberal dipshit local governments all over the world tried to recreate hong kong, singapore and other mystical zones of wealth and free of pesky citizen power without taking into account the material conditions (geography, cold war parasitism) that led to the success of the thing they were trying to copy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

well it's half right, there was a notable anti-imperialist superpower that helped decolonization efforts after ww2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Champagne for my real friends
Real pain for my sham friends

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

indigi posted:

I’m assuming Sri Lanka doesn't have a strategic reserve of macaques they can just dip into for emergencies, what's the most they can possibly already have in captivity

I'm guessing they do have an industry of some kind to supply medical laboratories.

While a strategic reserve is comical, I bet they do have an inventory

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

omg an even better one in the replies

https://twitter.com/caitoz/status/1651696916403736576?t=eLXVcbXqLHDwFQjfbXEWGg&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

ikanreed posted:

I'm guessing they do have an industry of some kind to supply medical laboratories.

While a strategic reserve is comical, I bet they do have an inventory

100,000 is so many, I wonder if it's over a 10 year period. if they can have that many on hand in a given year the facilities would be interesting* to learn about. I imagine lab-ready macaques need a lot more specialized care and space than domesticated livestock

*or, more likely, heartbreakingly sad

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Hal Brands is an American international relations scholar of U.S. foreign policy. He is the Henry A. Kissinger Distinguished Professor of Global Affairs at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies and a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Can't make this up. The article is beautiful btw it's a wonderful genre piece

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

oh is that the most pertinent thing about how american influence on indonesia played out. that's the thing everyone who is skeptical of meaningful sovereignty of supposedly independent states under the shadow of american power should think about when indonesia comes up. interesting

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SorePotato posted:

Hal Brands is an American international relations scholar of U.S. foreign policy. He is the Henry A. Kissinger Distinguished Professor of Global Affairs at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies and a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

A high priest delivering a sermon on the divine mandate of US exceptionalism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like Hal Brands needs to read The Jakarta Method

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

did chatgpt write this loving article?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-28/defence-reveals-50-per-cent-contingency-for-cost-overruns-inside/102275806

Remember those very expensive subs for down under? Would it shock you to know 123 of the 368 billion budget is earmarked for grift? Openly earmarked.

Oh wait sorry that's actually additional. Total price half a trillion, starting. Whoopsie doopsi.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Whole bunch.of mass graves from South America to Indonesia making the third world "safe"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Whole bunch.of mass graves from South America to Indonesia making the third world "safe"

safe for bloomberg users, op

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Truga posted:

safe for bloomberg users, op

man, this is depressingly true.

killing untold millions and causing immense suffering so you can make some trades with fake money on a bloomberg terminal

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1651726442785538050

topology is cool

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Me discovering natural barriers for the first time as an adult: huh, how about that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/1651803063689310210

I really don't like this practice of trying to apply relationship advice to politics

"China is an abusive boyfriend" just hardens attitudes and makes it more difficult to find ground over which to negotiate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

taking the cosmo quiz to see if xi is my true romeo in bed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really don't like this practice of trying to apply relationship advice to politics

"China is an abusive boyfriend" just hardens attitudes and makes it more difficult to find ground over which to negotiate
:smooth:

"A classic case" makes it sound like there's an annals of international gaslighting with many such cases

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's why they do it though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i say swears online posted:

taking the cosmo quiz to see if xi is my true romeo in bed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

5 belt and road tricks to drive him wild!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Underground belt & road videos where a woman in high heels stomps on an unfinished gravel truck road.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DancingShade posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-28/defence-reveals-50-per-cent-contingency-for-cost-overruns-inside/102275806

Remember those very expensive subs for down under? Would it shock you to know 123 of the 368 billion budget is earmarked for grift? Openly earmarked.

Oh wait sorry that's actually additional. Total price half a trillion, starting. Whoopsie doopsi.

Just double the iron ore and coal export to China and you can make the money to afford the subs, easy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

wanna set up a secret mountain kingdom in that green circular bit in the eastern Himalayas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It also explains how much "China invading and conquering Siberia" is such nonsense. Hell, even taking Vladivostok would be a massive pain the rear end.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just double the iron ore and coal export to China and you can make the money to afford the subs, easy.

It's very important that we spend half a trillion buckaroos to defend out trade routes with China, from China.

Utopia did it first and the best parody imitates life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCqXlDjx18

late edit - Mickey Mouse loving country.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Apr 28, 2023

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

wanna set up a secret mountain kingdom in that green circular bit in the eastern Himalayas.

That's Sichuan, it has a population of 100,000,000

Ardennes posted:

It also explains how much "China invading and conquering Siberia" is such nonsense. Hell, even taking Vladivostok would be a massive pain the rear end.

Vladivostok would be doable, but the question is more like, how does it benefit China at all to piss off Russia really bad for a port it doesn't need.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
actually I've played People's General and the Vladivostok map is fairly straightforward - just clear two main roads heading into the area.

[technically the scenario is "Road to Vladivostok", so you don't get to fight over/in the city itself]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Vladivostok would be doable, but the question is more like, how does it benefit China at all to piss off Russia really bad for a port it doesn't need.

Vladivostok also has a mountain range between it and the Chinese border and is pretty mountainous as a city. At best, they could attempt to take out the sections of the railway and roads connecting it from the north and blockade it by sea, but even then there are probably some backroads across the Amur range that would keep them going. It would be a long and bloody siege. Otherwise, the Soviets created the BAM in the first place so they could resupply across Siberia on the other side of those northern ranges.

Basically, the conditions and terrain in that area make it not worth even a sliver of the effort it would take. It is just a story really pushed by the Russian opposition/West to stir up fear for pretty obvious reasons.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That's Sichuan, it has a population of 100,000,000

one of my aunts is from there, fantastic spicy food. quite different from the normal canton style that the rest of my family usually makes

the peppers are pretty famous, but just in case people don't know about them:

quote:

When eaten, Sichuan pepper produces a tingling, numbing effect due to the presence of hydroxy-alpha sanshool.[3] The spice has the effect of transforming other flavors tasted together or shortly after. It is used in Sichuan dishes such as mapo doufu and Chongqing hot pot, and is often added together with chili peppers to create a flavor known as málà (Chinese: 麻辣; 'numb-spiciness').

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is also why the USA was never going to invade Iran

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

crepeface posted:

one of my aunts is from there, fantastic spicy food. quite different from the normal canton style that the rest of my family usually makes

the peppers are pretty famous, but just in case people don't know about them:

Sichuan peppercorns are like crack and I will eat anything with them.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1651907863911239681?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Uh reuters I believe you've mislabelled them, they're "dreamers" now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Are...are they sending their best?