Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

By the way, notice how nobody has mentioned Leslie Odom Jr.'s character or any of their story showing what a waste it was to even try something like that if they were going to go all fanfiction.

Hey, I mentioned it:

JethroMcB posted:

whatever the hell Leslie Odom Jr.'s character was supposed to be doing

The character has absolutely no arc (unlike Noah.) He's barely connected to Dickie's story, but we get all those scenes of him and his family that just kind of go nowhere. Truly a baffling choice. But, again, we gotta keep this thing to two hours (for some reason!) but it's really important that we spend time with him and give him a half-hearted coda in a mid-credits sequence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah I also don't buy the whole 'Dickie wasn't actually a drug addict it was all a misunderstanding" thing. It doesn't add up, and it kind of undercuts the irony of Tony's idealization of him and Christopher's mixed feelings about his dad. It also just doesn't make sense. Livia saying one story one time isn't going to make Chris's mom believe it or whatever.

Film tried to do too much but also too little. A miniseries would have been better, but honestly, not touching that whole period would have probably been the best option.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'm a MSoN appreciator. I totally get, and recognize as valid, the criticisms, but I'm an easily-pleased oaf who was just happy to be back in that world again (and to marvel at how different memory-Johnny Boy and real Johnny Boy were)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In addition to what everyone else said, TMSoN also just looked like poo poo. Like real amateur hour levels of lovely cinematography, framing and direction. It was astonishing how cheap and lazy it all looked.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's one of those dramatic irony things that David Chase has always had his heart set on movies when the thing he's actually good at was TV.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

He also barely wrote anything for like a decade or more. When you don't practice your craft, you lose it. Though MSoN really feels like it was lost in editing. The whole thing feels like a miniseries that got edited down into a movie. Definitely would not have been as good as the Sopranos either way but it might have been better with just a little bit more time and money.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The narration was unnecessary and lazy. And it seemed pretty last-minute considering how many times the dialogue or music would completely drown out whatever Imperioli was saying. Not to mention that aside from the pilot, the show never had narration.

Also, and this is my own thing, I didn't like that they stated unequivocally at the beginning of the movie that the Sopranos takes place in a supernatural universe with us listening to Christopher's ghost. The show always kept stuff like that pretty ambiguous and I think it was better for it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The narration was unnecessary and lazy. And it seemed pretty last-minute considering how many times the dialogue or music would completely drown out whatever Imperioli was saying. Not to mention that aside from the pilot, the show never had narration.

Also, and this is my own thing, I didn't like that they stated unequivocally at the beginning of the movie that the Sopranos takes place in a supernatural universe with us listening to Christopher's ghost. The show always kept stuff like that pretty ambiguous and I think it was better for it.

at least they didn't make him a talking cat (unless they did, again, haven't seen it)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MokBa posted:

He also barely wrote anything for like a decade or more. When you don't practice your craft, you lose it. Though MSoN really feels like it was lost in editing. The whole thing feels like a miniseries that got edited down into a movie. Definitely would not have been as good as the Sopranos either way but it might have been better with just a little bit more time and money.

What really frustrates me about the movie was the Newark riots, a super important event in the 1960s that should have had an impact on all the characters but then just peters out mid-film.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 28, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEMDb1c_L1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CJLDERGmDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DR981GOKQ

:shrug:

Conceptually though, I agree with you on the narration.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I would agree those examples have a degree of ambiguity as perhaps being solely figments of the characters' imaginations (save for the psychic, who would have no way of knowing about Mikey or Sonny Pagano) but for me the thing bordering most on the supernatural would be Valerie and his disappearance- where'd he go???

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that's what this is, you know, satanic black magic! sick poo poo!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I love the Paulie goes to a psychic scene. If he’s so freaked out by queer ghosts and satanic black magic, why was he there in the first place?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ralph Hurley posted:

I love the Paulie goes to a psychic scene. If he’s so freaked out by queer ghosts and satanic black magic, why was he there in the first place?

He wasn't until he went. Paulie thought he was paid up with God on account of his donations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I love the Catholic stuff in Paulie's arc, it reminds me of The Witch, in that it's psychological horror. IMO when Paulie is alone at the end, he's not just scared of dying alone, but of literal Damnation. The Earthly pleasures he bargained for are coming to an end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I love the Catholic stuff in Paulie's arc, it reminds me of The Witch, in that it's psychological horror. IMO when Paulie is alone at the end, he's not just scared of dying alone, but of literal Damnation. The Earthly pleasures he bargained for are coming to an end.
I like the episode where he is setting up at the festival and it’s a total shitshow because the Catholic priest shakes him down

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
gently caress the hat! :mad:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I like the episode where he is setting up at the festival and it’s a total shitshow because the Catholic priest shakes him down

Still more effective a priest than Monseigneur Jughead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Can we talk about how Carmela always picks the worst people to be attracted to? Between the priest, the carpenter guy, and later Furio, just a lot of bad decisions all around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can we talk about how Carmela always picks the worst people to be attracted to? Between the priest, the carpenter guy, and later Furio, just a lot of bad decisions all around.

This reminds me of one of my favorite tiny little unspoken moments, which is when she takes Adriana to play tennis with her and learns her tennis instructor is moving across country with his fiance(wife?). We've never seen the character before, Carmela has never mentioned him etc, but in that single fleeting reaction from Edie Falco we see Carmela had constructed this whole elaborate fantasy around this handsome athletic dude she spends time with and it all comes crashing down in that moment and then she puts on a smile and congratulates him.

It gets said a lot, but it isn't said enough: Falco was just extraordinary as Carmela.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I hadn't thought about that with the instructor but lol

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mr. Wegler was the worst of all!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiI5RcbizoQ

"I didn't even know you were married..."

Oh Carm.... :allears:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

Mr. Wegler was the worst of all!

him she was just playing, though. there were probably some sincere feelings there too (he was a great guy, if very divorced), but it was 90% to get AJ better grades

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think there were sincere feelings. He was actually interested in her, he encouraged how much she likes to read, they went out to dinner and had long conversations without Johnny Sack showing up, etc. There’s a moment where she looks at herself in his bathroom mirror in the middle of the night and it may be the happiest we’ve ever seen her on the show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think there were sincere feelings. He was actually interested in her, he encouraged how much she likes to read, they went out to dinner and had long conversations without Johnny Sack showing up, etc. There’s a moment where she looks at herself in his bathroom mirror in the middle of the night and it may be the happiest we’ve ever seen her on the show.
Yeah that was the closest she gets to being done with Tony for another man I think

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dawgstar posted:

Still more effective a priest than Monseigneur Jughead.

his one weird trick was not being a gigantic creep with his parishioners

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

I thought it was genuine, too. She literally confessed it! But the thing is for Carmela, that relationship (that she only has with Tony) has those kinds of favours baked in- Tony of course would do whatever he could to help AJ, and maybe Carmela projects this as her partner ought to do whatever he can to help her son- perhaps not factoring in that while a patriarchal role model, without the actual bond of being a father Wegler immediately feels used in a way that Tony can’t.

I do wonder how she ended up spelling Gustave Flaubert.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

crispix posted:

his one weird trick was not being a gigantic creep with his parishioners

I love how Father Phil can't actually explain Matthew 5:45 and instead just quotes the Rolling Stones. He's just the worst.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I love how Father Phil can't actually explain Matthew 5:45 and instead just quotes the Rolling Stones. He's just the worst.

where’s the example of this? i haven’t ever listened to stones, so this has definitely escaped me

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ulvir posted:

where’s the example of this? i haven’t ever listened to stones, so this has definitely escaped me

When Ralph’s son got skewered by the arrow, Father Phil is talking to him and says “Were you there, when Jesus Christ had his moments of doubt and pain?”

Which is a line from Sympathy for the Devil

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

MrMojok posted:

When Ralph’s son got skewered by the arrow, Father Phil is talking to him and says “Were you there, when Jesus Christ had his moments of doubt and pain?”

That episode has a few lines taken directly from that song. Isn’t it an intentional thing the writers did, like Ralph is the devil and you have sympathy for him because of his son?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MrMojok posted:

*wakes up* HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We met at Thanksgiving?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ulvir posted:

Yeah, I was conflating two scenes but MrMojok has the right episode.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I thought the storyline with David Strathairn was appropriately nuanced. She maybe didn't feel like she was manipulating him but if you're dating someone you hope they might give you the benefit of the doubt and do you a little favor even if that's not exactly why you're dating them, and if they instead decide to be a stickler it's not unreasonable that your feelings towards them might sour a little bit.

Like most things with The Sopranos they understand that life is complicated and there are two sides to every story.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This guy deserved a spinoff.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a great motherjumpin' lyric, Jan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The scene in S6 where Tony is in the hospital struggling with the tubing and goes "Jesus Christ" and Aaron shows up out of nowhere and says "that's right!" Kills me every time.