Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm not sure when I last watched a single thing on Netflix because it seems like it's usually just movies I've already seen and a lot of random garbage. And like so much tv these days any show or docuseries they have is stretched to the point of tedium. Luckily I don't pay for that one so :shrug:
Oh it was Cam. Not bad. I guess I still need to watch Creep 2 (maybe?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The newest Broken Lizard movie, Quasi, is out on Hulu. I watched it yesterday when I should have been working. It was kinda meh. A few funny bits here and there, but nothing super great.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I guess I still need to watch Creep 2 (maybe?)

Yes, watch Creep 2

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Netflix is perfect for me, an old gay who only requires background garbage

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Yes, watch Creep 2. I’m bummed they haven’t come up with an idea for Creep 3 yet. Probably my favorite found footage “franchise”

Speaking of found footage franchises, I just discovered there are eleven Bad Ben films, with a twelfth on the way in July. I really liked the first one, haven’t seen the rest. Anyone know if they’re worth checking out?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've seen 7 of them n would say no.

If you're looking for cool found footage you should check out Noroi: The Curse by Koji Shiraishi on amc+/shudder, netflix also has a cool one called Incantation.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

eighty-four merc posted:

Yes, watch Creep 2. I’m bummed they haven’t come up with an idea for Creep 3 yet. Probably my favorite found footage “franchise”

Speaking of found footage franchises, I just discovered there are eleven Bad Ben films, with a twelfth on the way in July. I really liked the first one, haven’t seen the rest. Anyone know if they’re worth checking out?

The actually-great Bad Bens are 1,3, and 7.

If you really love 3, then 5 and 6 are also pretty good fun.

2,4,8, and 9 are inessential and boring-bad. I temporarily checked out of the series after 9, so I can’t comment on the rest yet.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Looks like HBO is celebrating May the Fourth with the new season of The Other Two!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n86Kx2Sy4w

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Looks like HBO is celebrating May the Fourth with the new season of The Other Two!

Kick rear end! For some reason I thought that was cancelled, glad to be wrong!

Does anyone know if I Love That for You is still getting a second season?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

Does anyone know if I Love That for You is still getting a second season?

I listen to Las Culturistas with Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang, and Matt has been very frustrated that they haven't announced whether they will pick up a second season or not.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I listen to Las Culturistas with Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang, and Matt has been very frustrated that they haven't announced whether they will pick up a second season or not.

Bleh, that sucks. But hey, new podcast to check out!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I really enjoyed creep 2, it subverted my complaints with creep 1 actually killing the guy. The "Creep" as a weird sad virgin looking for Juliet was pretty funny, as well as the "infinite jest kismet" line and Anne Rice red flag.
Someone finally made a pretty good Man Bites Dog, who knew! Man Bites Dog is one of those movies I loved as an edgy teen that rewatching recently i found more like pretentious violent garbage.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

Bleh, that sucks. But hey, new podcast to check out!

Yeah, it's pretty good. I did take a couple years off during the pandemic because I cut way back on podcasts because I no longer had a commute, but overall I've been listening for several years now. Matt and Bowen have been best friends since college, where they were also friends with recent Oscar nominee Stephanie Hsu. It's been interesting watching their careers take off. At the start, they were still just doing standup, and their guests were their fellow young millennial friends, usually people like Drew Tarver and Joel Kim Booster. They definitely had to work through their emotions when they both tried out for SNL and Bowen got hired as a writer (a year before being brought in as a featured player), and Matt didn't get a job offer. But both of their careers have moved forward, and now they get big name celebrities as guests who are actual listeners of the show.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

I rewatched it in preparation, and the ending of season 2 is even funnier with more time. It was something along the lines of I can't wait for filming to start on March 13, 2020 and that's that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't kept up with the discourse, since I always watch it a year later when it drops on Netflix, but after 8 episodes of Better Call Saul, I kind of feel like it's the worst season, or at least I have the most mixed feelings on it. Idk if that's an unpopular opinion or not.Just hit the climax of all the crime poo poo and noticed there is a whopping 5 more eps that appear to be Black and white, so I'm guessing we do a time jump from here on out. I'm curious to see what happens and don't really have a full formed opinion on the season yet.

But I dunno. I feel like the show was at it's best when Chuck was still alive and it really had a unique identity. Ever since, it's been devolving into a dumber version of Breaking Bad which really came to a head this season. The plot to ruin Howard was totally un-relatable. I get that it was sort of the point, but it was just unpleasant hating Jimmy and Kim for a whole season. They were acting like psychopaths and it really wasn't fun to watch at all. It didn't really feel like they "went too far" as much as I was just sitting there like "wtf are you doing?" which sucks because the lawyer stuff has generally been the best part of the show, but I felt like it was trash this season. Also the plan itself was some Looney Tunes poo poo that felt like a parody of the antics you'd expect in this show.

Then there is Lalo. Love his actor. He kills it. But i am just sort of sick of this character. Anton Chigur is one of the best villians ever, but I feel like ever since NCFOM came out ,every crime show needs some guy that will randomly kill a grandma or baby if they mildly inconvenience them. I remember feeling like it was a bit played out when Gyp Rosetti was introduced in Boardwalk Empire (and half the characters in Sons of Anarchy) over decade ago. I'm just kind of exhausted with this archetype, like yeah I get it when he's on screen there's a 50/50 chance he's gonna kill someone. Feels cheap at this point.

Other than that the constant 4D chess and Mike Mcguyver scenes feel over indulgent at this point. Also killing off Nacho 4 episodes in sucks. Although this show is so ridiculous at this point I wouldn't' be surprised if Mike secretly attached a squib to his head and put a bullet proof vest on him and we find out he's fine.

That said, even at it's worst it's crazy entertaining with a great cast and better than most stuff on TV so I can't wait to see how it ends.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch The Swarm, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(TV_series)on a streaming service in the US?

I've tried googling but it's gets lost in the articles about the Donald Glover series of the same name.

Was a fan of the book and was interested in seeing some of the set pieces brought to life.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to watch The Swarm, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swarm_(TV_series)on a streaming service in the US?

I've tried googling but it's gets lost in the articles about the Donald Glover series of the same name.

Was a fan of the book and was interested in seeing some of the set pieces brought to life.

Nevermind, thought you were talking about the Donald Glover one

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've tried The Diplomat on Netflix, and I'm a little surprised to find I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I was worried it might turn out to be some preachy Sorkin-level nonsense, but that's not the tone it's going for at all. It's quite topical and manages to have enough of a bite to it to keep it interesting. But most of all the two leads just plain make it really fun to watch, they're doing a great job.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I couldn’t find anything for the Regular US streaming platforms. But I did find an article with this:

https://deadline.com/2023/03/the-swarm-frank-doelger-berlinale-series-ratings-zdf-1235281315/amp/

quote:

Schwarm TV Productions, a joint venture between Intaglio Films and ndF, produces the show for for ZDF, France Télévisions, Italy’s Rai Fiction, streamer Viaplay, Hulu Japan, ORF and Switzerland’s SRF, in co-production with Bravado Fiction and Beside Production, in co-operation with ATHOS. Beta Film and ZDF Studios have been jointly handling world sales in an unusual distribution arrangement.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's a certain point where if you can't legally stream it in the us you are justified in looking into alternate means imo

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mystes posted:

There's a certain point where if you can't legally stream it in the us you are justified in looking into alternate means imo
Frankly IMHO it's okay to move to Germany even if you can legally stream it in the US.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Prospect, on Hulu, is good. An unlikely pair of space miners encounters trouble while trying to leave the planet they've been digging. Clean, also on Hulu, is bad. An ex-hitman's newfound life of peace is threatened when the local mob boss etc, etc, you've seen a movie like it, it just isn't done as well as it could have been. Jungle, also on Hulu, is at least ok. Travelers in South America discover trekking in the jungle isn't all it's cracked up to be in the Lonely Planet guide.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Mrs. Davis (Peacock) is another show where I can't tell if I like it or not. The plot is pretty goddamn zany, which I definitely enjoy. I'm definitely going to finish the season (5 eps of 8 are out) but hard to say if it'll stick the landing. It sort of feels like a much less gross version of the Preacher show, with a little bit of Umbrella Academy's tone thrown in, but don't expect it to be better than either of those.

mystes posted:

justification: I want it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glottis posted:

Mrs. Davis (Peacock) is another show where I can't tell if I like it or not. The plot is pretty goddamn zany, which I definitely enjoy. I'm definitely going to finish the season (5 eps of 8 are out) but hard to say if it'll stick the landing. It sort of feels like a much less gross version of the Preacher show, with a little bit of Umbrella Academy's tone thrown in, but don't expect it to be better than either of those.

justification: I want it

Betty Gilpin is so great and this show is so dumb!!!!!!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't kept up with the discourse, since I always watch it a year later when it drops on Netflix, but after 8 episodes of Better Call Saul, I kind of feel like it's the worst season, or at least I have the most mixed feelings on it. Idk if that's an unpopular opinion or not.Just hit the climax of all the crime poo poo and noticed there is a whopping 5 more eps that appear to be Black and white, so I'm guessing we do a time jump from here on out. I'm curious to see what happens and don't really have a full formed opinion on the season yet.

But I dunno. I feel like the show was at it's best when Chuck was still alive and it really had a unique identity. Ever since, it's been devolving into a dumber version of Breaking Bad which really came to a head this season. The plot to ruin Howard was totally un-relatable. I get that it was sort of the point, but it was just unpleasant hating Jimmy and Kim for a whole season. They were acting like psychopaths and it really wasn't fun to watch at all. It didn't really feel like they "went too far" as much as I was just sitting there like "wtf are you doing?" which sucks because the lawyer stuff has generally been the best part of the show, but I felt like it was trash this season. Also the plan itself was some Looney Tunes poo poo that felt like a parody of the antics you'd expect in this show.

Then there is Lalo. Love his actor. He kills it. But i am just sort of sick of this character. Anton Chigur is one of the best villians ever, but I feel like ever since NCFOM came out ,every crime show needs some guy that will randomly kill a grandma or baby if they mildly inconvenience them. I remember feeling like it was a bit played out when Gyp Rosetti was introduced in Boardwalk Empire (and half the characters in Sons of Anarchy) over decade ago. I'm just kind of exhausted with this archetype, like yeah I get it when he's on screen there's a 50/50 chance he's gonna kill someone. Feels cheap at this point.

Other than that the constant 4D chess and Mike Mcguyver scenes feel over indulgent at this point. Also killing off Nacho 4 episodes in sucks. Although this show is so ridiculous at this point I wouldn't' be surprised if Mike secretly attached a squib to his head and put a bullet proof vest on him and we find out he's fine.

That said, even at it's worst it's crazy entertaining with a great cast and better than most stuff on TV so I can't wait to see how it ends.

Just got here and I agree with all of this. To compare to another recent show, in Perry Mason there are schemes and strategies unfolding but they are to discover some truth, in BCS it's because Howard dresses like a yuppy? I get that he deserves to have his poo poo wrecked, he said some very awful things to Jimmy. That being said, Howard was never wrong. Jimmy was/is a slimy joke of a lawyer who would rather scheme than do his job. He's a walking joke, even if he does sometimes help the underrepresented. In any case Jimmy's constant harassment is indeed completely psychotic and there's no way Kim would have gone along with that poo poo. Howards death should have been due to suicide because Jimmy went too loving far and he now has to live with that fact. Instead he's just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Weak.

I think Lalo jumped the shark when he was willing to merc the German widower. I was also wondering how a very wanted man gets to Germany with money and a hand gun w/ suppressor. I get he's a millionaire but that doesn't make your poo poo as good as MI6. I'm just being pedantic here but maybe just make him improvise a weapon? lol

The final act with Mike missing the completely obvious fact that Lalo was not hanging out at Jimmy's apartment would be enough to justifiably kill his rear end, but the boss just makes an off-hand comment.

There's absolutely no way Kim would have stayed with him this long. Yeah yeah her mom was shady who cares, Jimmy is insane and dresses, acts, and loves being a gas-station lawyer.

Still a good sho tho!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nuts and Gum posted:

I think Lalo jumped the shark when he was willing to merc the German widower. I was also wondering how a very wanted man gets to Germany with money and a hand gun w/ suppressor. I get he's a millionaire but that doesn't make your poo poo as good as MI6. I'm just being pedantic here but maybe just make him improvise a weapon? lol

Breaking Bad and John Wick share a universe and Lalo just took a pit stop at the Berlin Continental where he is always welcome owing to his status as a high-ranking member of the Mexican Syndicate

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Also Germany
https://polanddaily24.com/rutkowski...me-corner/21726
Polish crook sent a paramilitary force into Germany on a normal rear end route in fake cop armored cars and it took 5-8hours for Germany to figure out this is a huge problem
Bonus points for what the thug looks like who runs the busters
https://youtu.be/5gDQcFRkLYU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Prospect, on Hulu, is good. An unlikely pair of space miners encounters trouble while trying to leave the planet they've been digging.

This is a good movie and it has Pedro Pascal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Prospect was pretty solid, esp since its an opportunity to catch pascal in something that isn't star wars/superhero bullshit. Charming enough. Dunno why pink man didn't come along, lol. He had all of the leverage in that situation

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

This is a good movie and it has Pedro Pascal.

That's his name, I knew I recognized him. It has special effects that work well, a good balance of show vs tell, and some of the dialogue is written in a neat old-west style cadence.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Prospect was pretty solid, esp since its an opportunity to catch pascal in something that isn't star wars/superhero bullshit. Charming enough. Dunno why pink man didn't come along, lol. He had all of the leverage in that situation

There was some quick dialogue explaining he had been brought there specifically to die as some kind of religious pilgrimage. I will say it was pretty late in the game at that point to introduce a Chekhovs gun, but I still liked it.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 29, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Netflix re-suggested The Chef Show to me as "easy watching" and for once they are right - this show fills a niche that I don't think I've seen in any other food show? It's so casual and yet having Roy there giving specific direction to Jon and Jon legitimately caring makes it different from your average Food Network thing.

If there's anything else out there like it I'd be totally on board but even the YouTube people I follow can't quite strike that balance, probably because they have to be somewhat exuberant or ridiculous to get a following rather than just being a movie star/director.

Anyway, if you're a food fan and haven't watched it yet, you should try it.

Orvin posted:

The newest Broken Lizard movie, Quasi, is out on Hulu. I watched it yesterday when I should have been working. It was kinda meh. A few funny bits here and there, but nothing super great.

Agreed, but some of their stuff has ended up funnier with time and rewatches, so who knows. Not an instant classic like Super Troopers or Beerfest at least, but they've had ones that I ended up liking a lot but not initially (Club Dread, for one).

Glottis fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 29, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched the first 4ish episodes of Beef last night. It's really well done but drat it's so dark

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beef was really unique and hard to put in a box. It got a little looney tunes towards the end but I still loved it.

I don't think I have ever seen Ali Wong act before, but she should do it more. she's very good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah she's been great so far, I like her a lot more in this role than in anything else I've seen her in

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Scream VI is on Paramount Plus. I really enjoyed it. It'd be very easy for these movies to be really terrible but the Radio Silence crew have been a good pick to shepherd the new films.

They also did the very fun movie Ready or Not which I highly recommend.

Scream VI has HDR listed on the Paramount Plus app but I have no idea how to actually see that version. I've got a Chromecast connected to an HDR compatible TV but it didn't play that version. Any idea?

Had a similar situation with Prey on Hulu last year where an HDR version was listed on Hulu but not accessible on PC, Playstation, or Chromecast when I tried.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
IMO Scream 6 started strong but the last 30 minutes are a mess. The killer reveal was rough and somehow combined extremely predictable and completely random.

Scream always has really visceral kills and everyone surviving mortal wounds was really a dumb choice. It was borderline superhuman how Dewey always survived and he was worse for wear every time, but in 6 people just sprung up after being stabbed 15 times.

Not to say I didn't enjoy it generally, I really liked the first and second acts but very meh final act.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Medullah posted:

IMO Scream 6 started strong but the last 30 minutes are a mess. The killer reveal was rough and somehow combined extremely predictable and completely random.

Scream always has really visceral kills and everyone surviving mortal wounds was really a dumb choice. It was borderline superhuman how Dewey always survived and he was worse for wear every time, but in 6 people just sprung up after being stabbed 15 times.

Not to say I didn't enjoy it generally, I really liked the first and second acts but very meh final act.

Yeah I agree completely. Overall I enjoyed it but yeah I agree with you.

Aside from that the main thing I haven't liked about the two most recent movies is the silly Billy Loomis bits that remind me of Gollum or the Green Goblin in the first Spider-Man movie.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Apparently I should've used my phone instead of my Chromecast dongle. Paramount Plus says these devices can do 4K and HDR with a Premium sub:

iPhone or iPad
Apple TV 4K HDR (5th Gen)
Android phone, tablet or TV
Fire TV (4K Stick, Cube)
Roku

It feels like the Chromecast puck should work because it's basically Android but I guess not.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

Beef was really unique and hard to put in a box. It got a little looney tunes towards the end but I still loved it.

I don't think I have ever seen Ali Wong act before, but she should do it more. she's very good.

I felt the Looney tunes ending of the last 2 eps was a perfect payoff and makes the whole season. It's definitely jarring but the episodes work because at that point you know the characters so well, and would be extra stupid if you didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jolo posted:

Apparently I should've used my phone instead of my Chromecast dongle. Paramount Plus says these devices can do 4K and HDR with a Premium sub:

iPhone or iPad
Apple TV 4K HDR (5th Gen)
Android phone, tablet or TV
Fire TV (4K Stick, Cube)
Roku

It feels like the Chromecast puck should work because it's basically Android but I guess not.

What Chromecast do you have? I think there are two versions of the white puck... One that does 4k/HDR and one that only does 1080/no HDR.