Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia also had a lot to gain if it blew the pipe, the winter was as cold as they hoped, and the EU didn't stop their usual in-fighting to pull together to solve their Russian energy dependence.

Things really just didn't work out the way they wanted there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

We don't know for sure yet, we shouldn't take this as the ultimate conclusive evidence and the final "gotcha".

I will admit I do find it quite interesting that the argument against it being so impossible for Russia to have been the responsible party is often touted by the same people who are likely to insist on Syrian rebels gassing themselves. That argument also doesn't account for the mentioned contract fine print, and then there's teh fact that it doesn't consider internal Russian political factors as a potential driving force.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Russia also had a lot to gain if it blew the pipe, the winter was as cold as they hoped, and the EU didn't stop their usual in-fighting to pull together to solve their Russian energy dependence.

Couldnt they just . . . Stop sending Europe gas, instead of blowing up their own infrastructure ?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

Couldnt they just . . . Stop sending Europe gas, instead of blowing up their own infrastructure ?
Then they'd be breaking the contract

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
these are the people decimating their own troops with sledgehammers like rich romans fighting a slave uprising

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Then they'd be breaking the contract

They invaded a nation and broke a whole bunch of treaties and ate a million sanctions. Breaking a contract in a time of special military operation is really that big of a deal??

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
drat I mean it is amazing but it is some stone-cold excellent response to shut down an entire base and suspend the people in charge in response to "actually the stuff he leaked didn't matter and nobody cares"

Also while I find it arguable whether right-wing agitators like this shitfuck are capable of introspection "I got my whole unit shut down and my bosses fired" has to be a pretty definitive piece of You Dun hosed Up evidence

Also-also speaking of lack of introspection, 0% chance Marjorie changes her tune even when Teixeira confesses to wanting to do a mass shooting. "ANY SANE WHITE CHRISTIAN MAN IN AMERICA WOULD WANT TO DO THAT IN BIDEN'S AMERICA"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It has to be the other person's fault. It's one of the weirder Russian governmental quirks. It doesn't matter that Stalin/Putin/Brezhnev or whoever manipulated the entire situation start to finish including putting the rules themselves into place. If the rules were followed to the letter then it cannot be illegal and therefore Russia is not at fault.

See: DNR/LNR and the sham votes leading up to the invasion

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HonorableTB posted:

It has to be the other person's fault. It's one of the weirder Russian governmental quirks. It doesn't matter that Stalin/Putin/Brezhnev or whoever manipulated the entire situation start to finish including putting the rules themselves into place. If the rules were followed to the letter then it cannot be illegal and therefore Russia is not at fault.

See: DNR/LNR and the sham votes leading up to the invasion

And various colossal dipshits keep falling for it.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Deki posted:

And various colossal dipshits keep falling for it.

People fall for it because they want to fall for it. They believe <X> axiomatically, Russia being bad goes against <X>, so Russia is good. Replace <X> with "NATO is bad" or whatever you want.

Once you're at that point, any other conclusion would require a lot of introspection and questioning of basic values, which is a lot of effort.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

They invaded a nation and broke a whole bunch of treaties and ate a million sanctions. Breaking a contract in a time of special military operation is really that big of a deal??

They like to pretend they're following all the international rules and it's the evil west that's being mean to them with sanctions and stuff.

It's certainly not 100% that they did it but there's enough motive too. Also it could be a faction within the state, like the ultranationals perhaps making it impossible for someone to just "go back to normal"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OctaMurk posted:

Yes, because it's basically a big neon sign to all your possible trade partners that you are not trust worthy enough to make deals with and they would be better off looking elsewhere.

It's own little bubble.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Russia wanted to provide Europe with life-saving gas but the evil USA blew up the pipes. Who's the real enemy enemy? Who's really at fault for millions freezing to death in Europe?

The USA lied about blowing up the pipes, what else are they lying about? Biolabs are real and all Ukrainians love post punk.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

Their special ESP task force assured them that it would be a crippling Winter, but the anti-Global Warming Task Force has done thier job so well that the whole disinformation campaign grew teeth and bit them in the rear end.

Why did it take 7 months to find these pictures, though?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Their special ESP task force assured them that it would be a crippling Winter, but the anti-Global Warming Task Force has done thier job so well that the whole disinformation campaign grew teeth and bit them in the rear end.

Why did it take 7 months to find these pictures, though?

not find, determine it would now be advantageous to release

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, because it's basically a big neon sign to all your possible trade partners that you are not trust worthy enough to make deals with and they would be better off looking elsewhere.

It's own little bubble.

capitalism loves to ignore an atrocity but it won't ignore a financial liability

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Possibly completely coincidental... Tonight I was driving across southern AZ and stopped at a rest area along I-8. Noticed a train coming so since I was stretching my legs I wandered over where I could watch it go by... Was surprised to see that it wasn't a typical freight train, rather it was all flatbeds carrying various military vehicles, including at least 28 Abrams (was dark and I may have missed some). Also on the train, a bunch of Humvee's, M113's, Bradley's, and some sort of self propelled artillery (Paladin's?). Also lots of support type vehicles.

Train was headed east.

Could be, the Sierra Army Depot is out that way, so is the Yuma Proving Ground, among others.

Midnight trains moving a company at a time is pretty standard fare for cross-country shipping, trains are still the most efficient way to do that. They also rotate with their own equipment, so it's also entirely possible it's a training exercise shipment.

Uncle Sam has so many goddamn tanks that you can see a whole battalion on rails and still not know the whos and wheres.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

tiaz posted:

Exactly.

How c o n v e n i e n t

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Telsa Cola posted:

On top of that, the contractees sue in EU courts, win, and get a judgement. They can be made whole out of frozen Russian assets, and the Kremlin really really does not want to start that avalanche.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Breaking contracts is impermissible to Germans. Invasion? Yes, well. Affairs of state and all that. Yes, yes, deplorable. Breaking contracts? This is not permitted. Not even in Dresden.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Russians launched another missile attack aimed at Ukrainian territories. There are hits.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

tiaz posted:

This is what gets to me about the release. Why now and not release shortly after it happened?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Budzilla posted:

This is what gets to me about the release. Why now and not release shortly after it happened?

Might not have been as useful to make it public at that time politically. Certainly if they had evidence that the Russians did the bombing it'd be best to keep it close to the chest for a while to give an impression of international confusion. Could also be why Germany and the EU reacted so decisively to build LNG plants and stuff because they knew Russia was willing to cut the line in such a way.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Budzilla posted:

Could have something to do with the work the Nordic public service news agencies have been releasing for the past 2 weeks about Russian spying. The topic is especially hot at the moment, especially regarding Russian spy ships and how they can be used for sabotage.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Set posted:

Could have something to do with the work the Nordic public service news agencies have been releasing for the past 2 weeks about Russian spying. The topic is especially hot at the moment, especially regarding Russian spy ships and how they can be used for sabotage.

Seems like a pretty good bet. This is from the end of last month.

quote:

The Russian Navy is believed to have operated a mini-submarine at the Nord Stream sites days before the explosions. This calls into question previous theories.

Usually, "SS-750" is stationed at the Baltiysk base in Kaliningrad as part of the Baltic Fleet. However, satellite imagery shows that it left the port on the night of September 21. At a speed of nine knots, it would have been able to reach the scene by 7:50 p.m. The so-called "Automatic Identification System" (AIS), which transmits location data, had been switched off. However, its length of 95 meters would match the dimensions of a dark ship discovered by the U.S. company SpaceKnow without a position signal near the crime scene.

In a similar time frame – between midnight and 1 a.m. – two other ships suspected to be involved in the operation left the port of Kaliningrad, according to satellite imagery: the rescue tugs "SB-123" and "Alexander Frolov". Each of them have cargo cranes on deck that would be capable of lowering hundreds of kilograms of heavy explosive devices or mines into the water.

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten...explosions.html

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1651806365273268225
gently caress Russia. :nms: for civilian death, no bodies in footage

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah but have you considered that there are Neo-Nazis in Ukraine

What if one of those three civilians grew up to be the next Neo-Hitler

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Or all three of them could have saiyan fusion danced and became the next Tri-Hitler, AKA Adolf Tripler

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Budzilla posted:

I agree with Set. Reviving public attention to the matter at a time of your choosing, say when you have indications Russia is considering similar infrastructure sabotage again is a nice capability to have - right after the Nordstream sabotage it would've only served to calm the population, which I don't think was really necessary at the time, and point the finger at Russia, already an international pariah.

Of course I have no idea what actually motivated this release, but in this sort of matter I think you want to ask "why would it get released immediately?" rather than "why wouldn't it get released immediately?". it makes perfect sense to hold on to it if you expect it might be more useful later than it is Right Now, so if you can point to a missed opportunity beyond 'why not' that's more convincing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Toxic Mental posted:

Or all three of them could have saiyan fusion danced and became the next Tri-Hitler, AKA Adolf Tripler

Didn’t even think of that. Anime really is a gateway

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1651811198193524736
Hit was recorded in Dnipropetrovsk. Two civilians killed and three more injured. gently caress Russia again. :nms: as before, no bodies/gore

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Explosions in melitopol and Russian occupied kherson looks to be ammo facilities. Unless liveuamap is loving with me it appears Russia did not conduct front wide artillery strikes all day. Two symptoms of a possible counter offensive occuring OR an ammo hiccup significant enough to effect an entire days "labor" for artillerymen.

Also. Zone, or fatheboxx I'd love your take on this:

quote:

Vladimir Putin approved the procedure for residents of the LPR, DPR, Kherson and Zaporozhye regions without Russian citizenship to live in the Russian Federation.
According to the decree, citizens will be considered foreigners: those who lived in the occupied Ukrainian territories on the day of their “inclusion” into Russia; who previously lived and left in the Russian Federation, who declared their desire to retain their former citizenship and did not take the oath of a citizen of the Russian Federation.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Explosions in melitopol and Russian occupied kherson looks to be ammo facilities.

Unless liveuamap is loving with me it appears Russia did not conduct front wide artillery strikes all day. Two symptoms of a possible counter offensive occuring.

This is nothing more than Russia trying to enforce its hold on its illegally annexed territory, to give them a reason to kidnap Ukrainian citizens into Russia and to bring in Russians to replace them with.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

This is nothing more than Russia trying to enforce its hold on its illegally annexed territory, to give them a reason to kidnap Ukrainian citizens into Russia and to bring in Russians to replace them with.
That's what I thought.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

these are the people decimating their own troops with sledgehammers like rich romans fighting a slave uprising

Maybe it's the usual internal division, corruption and infighting. If you blow it up the rat bastards over in building B can't scam a little gas sales on the side and disrupt the war effort. Maybe some dipshit really saw it as Europe's pipe, and blowing it up would hurt them more than us, and it would especially gently caress over those rat bastards in Building B hell yea that's it we do this. To promote Russia. And, also, my scams on the side.

Idk that's all I've got :shrug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CannonFodder posted:

At first I thought "Ugh, weird cringe camo wallpaper" but then I looked closer. For one, there's a tank on the wall at the head of the bed. That made me think "Wait, was this painted?" then I saw that while there are repeating elements on the walls, they are not in any pattern but rather a mishmash of elements. That makes me think this was hand painted with stencils.

And I have no idea wtf is going on in the upper right of the picture. I look at it and my brain just hard locks.

Despite all that weirdness, the weirdest thing by far is that there is apparently no window

Regarding the leaker, I always have respect for true whistle blowers, who are coming forward and endangering themselves and their careers when there is genuinely shady stuff that is in he public interest to be known.

This leak doesn't fit any of those categories, to say the least. In fact the whole thing is mind bogglingly stupid, the leaker is a piece of poo poo with no morals or cause, and the whole thing accomplished literally nothing

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
May have delayed the Ukrainian counteroffensive for minecraft clout.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Unsubtly pushing people from occupied territories to seek citizenship so line goes up

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Remember people, it was Norway responsible for the Nordstream pipe explosion according to the reliable fact checking and totally not making poo poo up to look cool to get on russian TV, Seymor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1651758867741655041

Normal country