Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Didn't Link's Awakening DX DX have some sort of dungeon maker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

counterpoint: physical media is cool and looks nice on a shelf

:hmmyes:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I got it for $40 digital, and I like that I can wake up on the 12 (who am I kidding if it unlocks the night before at 9PM, i'm playing it). I'll pick up a physical copy in a few years when it's cheaper (or part of a buy two get one free deal) just to have on the shelf. Bonus, by then the cart will be updated with any updates they have.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kazy posted:

Didn't Link's Awakening DX DX have some sort of dungeon maker?

yeah
it wasn't very good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Augus posted:

yeah
it wasn't very good

Yeah, I was a little excited when I saw it, but only ended up giving it a few tries. It seemed like it lent itself to making quick, samey dungeons to finish the challenges, with no real incentive to try anything more interesting because you're just jamming disparate premade rooms together.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Splatoon x Zelda Gannon shirt is loving DOPE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I really like from what I've seen in these previews is the way all (humanoid, at least) enemies drop fusable items. Seems like it completely removes any disincentive to fight things that used to exist, since you effectively have way more durability due to constantly getting things you can fuse to weapons. Like it wasn't a huge issue in BotW, but there was a disincentive to fight Moblins once you had a weapon inventory full of good stuff (since nothing the Moblins drop would be as good as what you're using to kill them).

And the Zonai enemies seem to drop these universally useful Zonai charges (plus their own horns I think), so there's also a big incentive to kill them.

edit: The one thing that looks like a bit of a pain is the way you need to manually select stuff to fuse to arrows. I feel like, in practice, I'll experiment with a bunch of stuff and then only use a handful of things that I either get in large quantities or that have very useful effects. Like the thing that confuses enemies (which seems like the sort of thing that would give huge returns from only using once during an encounter), ochu jellies (which are usually pretty easy to get and seem to create powerful elemental arrows in this), or the heat-seeking keese eyeballs.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 28, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Arrow stuff - it seems like a lot of the effects are elemental, with the chu jelly being way way less than the gemstones (numerous videos of people killing themselves by using ruby arrows at way too close a range). I think it'll be not as bad to play when you're actually playing it, but it does make the videos a little jaunty. I can see it almost making combat hybrid real time / turn based feeling.

I imagine you'll only be getting regular arrows in this, and all the fuse stuff replaces other arrows.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Here's where the real test of the Fuse system will come into play: late game. A lot of people, myself included, could rely on exploding barrels and environmental objects to kill enemies early on but by late game, those "creative" approaches didn't even dent harder enemies. It was straight up "use a powerful weapon or get crushed." A lot of the magic of the early game was MacGyver-ing a solution in combat and it just disappears later on. While TotK certainly appears to be leaning harder into keeping it relevant later into the game, will haphazardly Fused weapons really be enough to kill Lynels?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Upsidads posted:

The Splatoon x Zelda Gannon shirt is loving DOPE

The what now?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-x-the-legend-of-zelda-splatfest-t-shirt-power/
Cast ye eyes upon the rebirth of a god in shirt form

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 28, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, that is cool! And I somehow missed that there'd be a themed splat fest coming up, although it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

There is other shirts but they don't have GannonDILF

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FooF posted:

Here's where the real test of the Fuse system will come into play: late game. A lot of people, myself included, could rely on exploding barrels and environmental objects to kill enemies early on but by late game, those "creative" approaches didn't even dent harder enemies. It was straight up "use a powerful weapon or get crushed." A lot of the magic of the early game was MacGyver-ing a solution in combat and it just disappears later on. While TotK certainly appears to be leaning harder into keeping it relevant later into the game, will haphazardly Fused weapons really be enough to kill Lynels?

It seems like fusing is usually some sort of upgrade, so I imagine it'll stay useful. Plus stuff like "extra range" or "shield-sword" having non-damage-related effects.

I do hope enemies get less absurd health pools, though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

At the very least, the horns dropped harder variants of enemies will give stronger buffs to the weapons you fuse them with, so I imagine by the time you get to late game with harder enemy variants everywhere, you'll have much stronger materials to boost your attack power as well. It seems like some of the base weapons (like sticks) will have their own associated bonuses as well, like the sturdy stick which has more durability. Hopefully those are passed on when they're fused.

Seems like they're encouraging you to fight higher tier enemies this time for access to their stronger materials.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Was browsing Amazon and I don't need this but I need this

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

These aren't available in Mexico noooooo :negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I want a Zelda maker so freakin' bad, but all the romhacks and such, to say nothing of Mario Maker levels, have convinced me that what people want out of that sort of thing is ridiculously difficult challenges and those don't appeal to me at all, so I'd probably just play my own maps.

A remake of Zelda 1, however, would make me a very happy gal. 2D, 3D, one tiny area of a huge overworld like Zelda 2... Anything. Nintendo is really good at nostalgia because they rarely settle for pointing at a thing and saying "remember that?"

There was an overload of kaizo craps but there were still a ton of good and fun creative levels and concepts. I think the streamers always getting sucked into the stupid-hard levels encouraged too many of them. Very niche way to have fun smashing your finger in a doorjamb over and over.

ToiletKitty
Aug 8, 2007

I LOVE the designs! But maybe more as a sticker, than as t-shirts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I want a Zelda maker so freakin' bad, but all the romhacks and such, to say nothing of Mario Maker levels, have convinced me that what people want out of that sort of thing is ridiculously difficult challenges and those don't appeal to me at all, so I'd probably just play my own maps.
I have good news, there's actually already a 2D zelda maker that's been around for literal decades even though it's always been relatively obscure https://www.zeldaclassic.com/about/

still it's been around for so long that there's easily hundreds of quests made for it. i've never tried using it to make stuff myself but it should be a standard drag and drop process, pretty much.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Holy crap! I played Zelda Classic back in 2000. I had no idea they released modding tools.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I remember there being some pretty cool quests made for Zelda Classic. Also some really bullshit ones but the website actually made it pretty easy to find the enjoyable ones and the reviews would usually call out hacks that had too much lovely enemy spam. Pretty cool that it’s still getting support

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just realised all the sky footage we've seen has been during the day. I wonder what it's gonna be like up there at night, or in a thunderstorm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It'd be pretty funny if it follows old Microsoft Flight Simulator rules and just places you in a featureless grey void the instant you enter a storm cloud.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Hedrigall posted:

I just realised all the sky footage we've seen has been during the day. I wonder what it's gonna be like up there at night, or in a thunderstorm

yeah that is curious. wonder if it's related to those special trees that only grow there. maybe they glow

you can all about confirm that diving through a specific thunderhead will unlock a shrine equivalent, though. i mean come on. that just writes itself.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We’ve seen thunderclouds in the trailers and so on so yeah I assume there’s interactivity there, or a way to dispel or move them—revealing new islands and so on, or maybe solving an environmental puzzle to power up a machine. Flying into one sounds like a good use for the rubber armor set.

E: on that note actually, one interesting thing is if people are triangulating the preview locations correctly, the Great Fairies aren’t in their old locations from BotW. Have they moved to the sky, or is there a new way to upgrade your armor?

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 28, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pirate Radar posted:

is there a new way to upgrade your armor?

Fusing orphans to it

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I hope the existence of armored bokos means we'll get darknut or iron knuckle equivalents. Just bring back every enemy that debuted in Zelda 1 or 2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope you can fuse bombs to enemies and they'll turn and sadly look directly at you the player like it's a looney toons gag

Turn every enemy into Wile E. Coyote

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I kind of like that from what we’ve seen the central plain is calmer; there’s a new town near the ruins of the old castle town and there are enemy camps around but no guardians or guardian-equivalents patrolling. I didn’t spend a lot of time in that area in BotW and it will be nice to be able to just ride around in TotK (if I’m right). Seems likely that this time around it’s the Great Plateau that’s a tough zone.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
From the footage from the recent play tests it seems like they were given a restrained version, maybe a demo even. If not I wonder if anyone ran straight to the castle or desert and got unplugged.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

They were playing at Nintendo HQ afaik, I'd assume a rep was watching over their shoulders and they had to sign all kinds of NDAs.

Game looked super fun though, can't wait. 2 more weeks!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Shinjobi posted:

I hope you can fuse bombs to enemies and they'll turn and sadly look directly at you the player like it's a looney toons gag

Turn every enemy into Wile E. Coyote

Fuse a rocket to an enemy and turn em into a firework

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

superjew posted:

From the footage from the recent play tests it seems like they were given a restrained version, maybe a demo even. If not I wonder if anyone ran straight to the castle or desert and got unplugged.

The giant bomb video claims they solved a puzzle that unlocked a shrine, but the rep told them they weren't allowed to enter it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

madmatt112 posted:

Fuse a rocket to an enemy and turn em into a firework

This is gonna be the very first thing I do when I find a rocket, and I fully anticipate it working

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

How have I only just found out that wearing the Wind Waker lobster shirt gives a huge buff to raft speed when blowing it with a korok leaf? :psyduck:

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Icedude posted:

How have I only just found out that wearing the Wind Waker lobster shirt gives a huge buff to raft speed when blowing it with a korok leaf? :psyduck:

uh, i didn't know either

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mylan posted:

The giant bomb video claims they solved a puzzle that unlocked a shrine, but the rep told them they weren't allowed to enter it.

Even better, it wasn’t a shrine they unlocked but a dungeon, and they said that while they weren’t allowed to go inside they did get a glimpse of the interior and claimed it was like nothing we’d seen yet in BotW or any of the TotK trailers

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Can't wait to chill up there in my rubber suit during a storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Icedude posted:

:psyboom: what