Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AMD should just make their own mainboards from now on. :pranke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If people buy enthusiast hardware, they're gonna want to do enthusiast things with them

This enthusiast class hardware is still really goddamn fast even running stock clocks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sure, but AMD shipped DDR5 6000 CL30 stuff in their reviewer kit and those are the numbers people are using when they are laying out their cash. I personally don't think "just run it slower so it doesnt light on fire" is an acceptable solution for a mistake that AMD and/or their board partners made, just like it wasn't an acceptable solution when 3090s were tripping power supplies.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Sure, but AMD shipped DDR5 6000 CL30 stuff in their reviewer kit and those are the numbers people are using when they are laying out their cash. I personally don't think "just run it slower so it doesnt light on fire" is an acceptable solution for a mistake that AMD and/or their board partners made, just like it wasn't an acceptable solution when 3090s were tripping power supplies.

So scroll back to the previous page where I'm talking about setting vsoc & memory speeds manually, and maximally cautious ways to check that the resulting voltages are safe.

I am posting pragmatic solutions here, not excusing the problem by AMD and/or mobo makers. Righteous indignation won't stop your CPU from blowing up when it gets overvolted to hell.

For someone that wants to be absolutely 100% sure a CPU doesn't explode, and does not want to do manual settings, I feel that a fairly minor performance hit for one week is not a very big deal. CPUs blowing up is a big deal, and I look forward to the GN videos going into what happened and how a BIOS that pushes unsafe voltage ever got released.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

reminder to check if you can get a complimentary jedi survivor code if you bought a 7X3D cpu lately, in case you want something new to throw at your new explode-y cpu

game is out in two days

I just tried asking Amazon and they gave me the big fat nope. Codes can only be generated at purchase, and customer support has no way of generating them for you. Oh well.

edit: some people on reddit claim they had luck escalating the matter and got a key that way, but :effort:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 27, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
time to buy new one and return the new one under the guise of whichever one cost more.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ugh, commiseration on every goon caught up in this :ohdear:
Just the thought of having to rip off the cooler and take the CPU out, and what check for brown spots and bad smells?
I guess DDR5-5600 was the right sweet spot after all. Just out of curiosity, is there a gear 3 for those super fast mem kits?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1651033529059545091?t=_-UP6LSdR_nTma7PdU60aA&s=19

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm cursed to forever miss out on bundled in games for computer hardware by a few weeks

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

runaway dog posted:

I'm cursed to forever miss out on bundled in games for computer hardware by a few weeks

I got uncharted 4 with my CPU. I haven't bothered to install it and probably won't :geno:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sauer kraut posted:

Just the thought of having to rip off the cooler and take the CPU out, and what check for brown spots and bad smells?
I guess DDR5-5600 was the right sweet spot after all. Just out of curiosity, is there a gear 3 for those super fast mem kits?

Since when have some bad smells or brown spots ever slowed a goon down?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sauer kraut posted:

The physical damage only happens when the CPU burns itself to death. If your PC is still functional, it will not have any problems that you can detect yourself. All you can do is make sure you're not running at high SOC voltage.

Twerk from Home posted:

Since when have some bad smells or brown spots ever slowed a goon down?

lmao

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

yeah don't mess with it, if it still turns on you're good. just turn off memory overclock for now until we get news of this being sorted out

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you don't want to mess with setting voltages manually then just go back to defaults for now.

Otherwise you can manually set vSOC in your BIOS and that'll prevent hardware damage regardless of what BIOS you've got.

As far as problems go its not hard to fix per se. Its more that this stuff was happening automatically when people were turning on EXPO or XMP, didn't know it, and their hardware was getting killed.

AMD and/or the mobo OEM's definitely screwed up by releasing BIOS'es that allowed this to happen in the first place though.

edit: yeah Gigabyte put a 'new' BIOS up, version and AGESA is the same as previously released, F10c for my mobo.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 27, 2023

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Well Gigabyte's site finally showed a new BIOS version and I flashed it, set EXPO back on and hwinfo still says the same voltages as before, so maybe I won't fire up a game one day and fire my CPU.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

kliras posted:

reminder to check if you can get a complimentary jedi survivor code if you bought a 7X3D cpu lately, in case you want something new to throw at your new explode-y cpu

game is out in two days

Thanks for this! Emailed microcenter and got a code within minutes!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Amazon bounced me around in chat for a half hour then said they couldn't help with the Jedi Survivor code :smith:

Guess I'll just wait for a sale and hope they've fixed the terrible performance by then.

https://twitter.com/TheAndyCortez/status/1651346998350741504?s=20

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I'm currently playing the PS4 build of Fallen Order, on PS5, and performance is at times terrible. When I'm running around in the game, it might be smooth or it might be a touch jittery. "Dramatic" cutscenes are frequently stuttery due to extra characters and effects being in shot. Once or twice, on major area transitions, the game has completely locked up for about a second and a half. The first time that happened I thought it was about to crash to the "report a problem" screen, but no it was just extreme jank.

I think that maybe these games just aren't all that awesome under the hood.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1651597334743064577

AMD pushing an AGESA that limits vsoc to 1.3v, new bioses coming again.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1651597334743064577

AMD pushing an AGESA that limits vsoc to 1.3v, new bioses coming again.

How were they getting above 1.3v?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

wargames posted:

Good question. What I gleaned is there was a 'list' which assigned unhealthy voltages to the memory controller when DDR5-6000+ modules were installed.
Not sure if it's from AMD, the memory vendors, or the mainboards doing some crummy XMP3.0 to whatever AMDs thing is called conversion.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wargames posted:

A fairly common practice on many enthusiast DIY mobos is that when you press the one-touch easy button for XMP/EXPO/D-OCP, the BIOS also juices some voltages a little bit. Sometimes, rarely, they juice voltages more than just a little bit.

On some AM5 mobos it seems like they were scaling the SOC voltage with the memory speed, such that at very high speeds it went to 1.4V which is too high. It's been known that 1.4 is dangerous ever since the separate IO die moved to 12mn. You can find year-old buildzoid vids about safe voltages where he says that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Do we know the version of the new, fixed AGESA? Gigabyte has the F8c bios back up, which says that it was updated to AGESA 1.0.0.6.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

1.0.0.6 was out a little while ago, based on what I remember seeing when checking out various boards before picking the Asrock I ended up with.

AGESA started out opensource, but AMD then basically gave up on it. :mad:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Klyith posted:

If gigabyte's 650/670 BIOS layout is the same as their X570 was, look at Settings -> PC Health (in advanced mode). That will give you a readout of sensors including SOC. Not exactly what you want, but a good 2nd confirmation of hwinfo.

Thanks. That was the spot. Motherboard reading fluctuates between a min of 1.296V and max of 1.302V at the PC Health screen, but hwinfo64 says 1.245V and has not gone above 1.25V. Considering nothing has burned out in the 4.5 months it has been running, I am gonna give Gigabyte another week or so before flashing new firmware. Almost flashed that beta fw that got removed yesterday, so perhaps it is better to wait for the dust to settle.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Fun times! Well my 7700x likes the boost up on the voltage. This is with F3b, F5b looks to be released today so going to load that up.

wargames fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 27, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wargames posted:

Fun times! Well my 7700x likes the boost up on the voltage. This is with F3b, F5b looks to be released today so going to load that up.

Maybe I’m blind but I don’t see Vsoc?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe I’m blind but I don’t see Vsoc?

I could be wrong but isn't that Core voltage?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

wargames posted:

The SPD page is the DRAM voltage needed for each profile.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wargames posted:

VSOC (or VDDCR_SOC) is different from Vcore (VDDCR_CPU) or VDDR.

CPU-Z doesn't check it, youll need somethin like HWINFO

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

edit: I never learned to read

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This guy?

This is with F8c bios and ddr5 6000 ram with expo enabled (not under load). Basically want it under 1.3, right?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

updated the b650 to F5b and if you are planning on doing this make sure you load default configs in bios, or the computer won't like the update process, it will recover from a bad load but just takes time.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah going by 1usmus's comment under 1.3v is safe.

FWIW mine is at 1.2v and I can run DDR5 6000 just fine.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

OH BOY THE NEW BIOS IS HOT.

I got some good BSOD and now i can't boot bios if i expo enabled.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It's still going poorly on the ASUS side of the fence as well.

This is not fun.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

It's still going poorly on the ASUS side of the fence as well.

This is not fun.

I am running gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax.

My "stock" ram is now below jdec speeds, before i was a solid 3000mhz with expo

wargames fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 28, 2023

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Looks like indeed my ram no longer runs at 6400 on the 1303 x670e-e bios, bsod almost immediately, was able to get it to work fine at 6000 though with dcip at 1.35v, I had a feeling this was going to happen, still in the return period, ordered a slightly cheaper 6000 1.35v expo set, the amazon gods even smiled upon me for once and gave me the no box ups store dropoff, like before the dark times.

Also, if ryzen master says 88 but my qcode screen says 78, which is the real temp? I noticed too that hwinfo64 shows both with the high one being the (Tctl/Tdie) and the low one being (Tdie)

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 28, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1651854854862635008
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1651856839384920065

it's awful, but the content is going to be tremendous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I got a half-built computer sitting on my dining room table that will be a 7800X3D on a MSI B650 Tomahawk. Still waiting on the M2 for the main drive so I have it just sitting there partially wired up but all these posts have me just going :catstare:

I figured I'd have to do a BIOS update before attempting to enable EXPO anything but MSI's latest update is dated April 14th and is marked as beta. AMD's official AGESA update to deal with the X3D problem was released on 4/27. Is MSI not having problems or just not caring so far?