Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I sent a Teams message to my partner and my boss letting them know a certain report was done.

My partner accidently used the same chat window to ask me a one on one question about our schedule for two weeks from now and I made a dismissively pessimistic remark thinking it was our private chat :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hell yeah. Let them who haven't accidentally hit reply all click the first send

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some of our systems at work use people’s names and some use their employee id’s and the fastest way to translate an id into a name is to paste it into one of the recipient fields in outlook and hit check names to convert it.

Years ago I was auditing a fuckup, did my outlook paste deal to find out who they were, then wrote my boss an email about what a huge fuckup this was and how much this person had hosed up my day.

What I didn’t do was remove that person from the cc after getting their name, so they got it too :v:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some of our systems at work use people’s names and some use their employee id’s and the fastest way to translate an id into a name is to paste it into one of the recipient fields in outlook and hit check names to convert it.

Years ago I was auditing a fuckup, did my outlook paste deal to find out who they were, then wrote my boss an email about what a huge fuckup this was and how much this person had hosed up my day.

What I didn’t do was remove that person from the cc after getting their name, so they got it too :v:

It's warning to find a new job, but lol, nah. Awesome dude who does everything fucks up one minor thing: write up, PIP, and then fired for something absolutely petty. Constant gently caress up who endlessly makes problems for literally everyone: impossible to fire in anything resembling a timely manner, still around 4 years and millions of dollars wasted later

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hah, yes.
Here's my old boss posing for a photo, just to set the mood:

The only thing missing from the image are some gels.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 27, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hell yeah. Let them who haven't accidentally hit reply all click the first send

I've never done it with anything too embarrassing :gonk: but at least once at my company somebody triggered some fairly high level meetings in management when they accidentally CC'd a customer while also poo poo talking said customer.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Write the email first, add the recipients last

Everyone gets stung at least once, you just gotta hope its not that bad when you do it

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

tactlessbastard posted:

I sent a Teams message to my partner and my boss letting them know a certain report was done.

My partner accidently used the same chat window to ask me a one on one question about our schedule for two weeks from now and I made a dismissively pessimistic remark thinking it was our private chat :gonk:

more like tactlessbastard

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chewbecca posted:

Write the email first, add the recipients last

Everyone gets stung at least once, you just gotta hope its not that bad when you do it

I actually just started leaving the address fields blank until everything is written in, just to save accidentally sending an email mid sentence and having to send a Follow-Up of Shame explaining things.

Also

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

The debate between "you can automatically update the 'where in which box is each sample' info by tossing the box on a scanner, and we'll probably use some automation in the future" vs "Being able to see which sample I have in my hand without needing to find a scanner every time is really useful and prevents mistakes" is so far inconclusive, and depends on the scale of the operation.

One nice thing about the matrix tubes is that there's apparently an industry organisation that assigns prefixes to companies, so they're guaranteed to be globally unique.

When someone is putting material in a tube, and presumably entering info about that material into a database to be associated with the barcode, why is there not a label printer to spit out a human readable label to be affixed to the tube?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Bathroom cleaner chemistry is the best.
Next time replace the ammonia with vinegar concentrate, or rubbing alcohol (propan-2-ol) for maximum fun.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

Work made it against company policy to eat in your car during lunch.

Interested to see how that pans out.

If I clock out during lunch, you can gently caress off with telling me where/what/how I can do on my own time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EoRaptor posted:

When someone is putting material in a tube, and presumably entering info about that material into a database to be associated with the barcode, why is there not a label printer to spit out a human readable label to be affixed to the tube?

We usually print the labels a little bit ahead of time, so you have the labels for the incoming patients ready on your bench before you start. Then you fill in "which barcode ended up where in the box" after you've finished and taken your gloves off.

The problem with Matrix tubes is that they fit so snugly in their boxes that you can't put a label on them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Once upon a time in my much more lackadaisical days, I was regression-testing & marking the tests as done in a spreadsheet by copying & pasting checkmarks into the cell next to the test. I was Facebook-messaging while testing like an idiot, and I will never know why this was in my clipboard instead of a checkmark but I pasted something along the lines of "tbh I've always been kind of into [thing]" into a cell. I undid it before the autosave (I think? no one said anything anyway), but holy hell that remains the most nervewracking nanosecond of my life.

Still never sent an email to the wrong person/people though. :toot:

Takes No Damage posted:

I actually just started leaving the address fields blank until everything is written in, just to save accidentally sending an email mid sentence and having to send a Follow-Up of Shame explaining things.

Also

Ugh, I have done this while applying for jobs so many times. I always just assume they delete my email the second they notice my resume isn't attached & take the L in advance.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Work made it against company policy to eat in your car during lunch.

Interested to see how that pans out.

Haaa, the food and beverage general manager made it against policy to get food from the buffet at work or eat if you're in uniform. So now everyone has to put on a jacket or cover up their uniform somehow, before taking meal breaks, because God forbid the guests notice that the staff eat, I guess?

Interestingly, this doesn't seem to apply to managers, and the guy who implemented this fuckery definitely isn't abiding by it. Because God forbid the managers be inconvenienced by this bit of stupidity.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The justification will be that ‘it looks unprofessional to people passing by or visiting the building’, I guarantee it

Pretty sure this is his justification for it too, yeah.

For bonus points, we also get charged $5 to use the buffet. Which, granted, is a massive discount on the buffet's usual price, but it still means that we're getting charged for our meal breaks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EoRaptor posted:

Printers are the devil, but barcodes are life. I resolve this tension by being vocally grateful that someone else on the team is the label printer SME.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
*in a meeting about a serious issue with our product line and how we do business*

first manager to speak: "let's change how the website looks"

*CEO slams laptop shut*

"why didn't we think of this before??? why can't every meeting be this short???"

did i enter a Mel Brooks movie this morning?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Dude on my team hit a goose in the parking lot. So now my day is printing "Have you seen this s goose?" posters and putting them in placed he'll see.

The last one will be under the windshield wiper of his truck.

This is not getting nearly enough love.

:nice:

Computer viking posted:

It seems genuinely pleasant where I work, but I'm not sure if that's just a cultural thing in my immediate vicinity or if there are also systemic reasons. Our PhD students are paid decently well; our university-employed professors are gently encouraged to teach but it doesn't seem like a huge commitment, and the groups around me seem decent at hiring people they didn't know beforehand.

Which timeline are you posting from and are you hiring?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Once upon a time in my much more lackadaisical days, I was regression-testing & marking the tests as done in a spreadsheet by copying & pasting checkmarks into the cell next to the test. I was Facebook-messaging while testing like an idiot, and I will never know why this was in my clipboard instead of a checkmark but I pasted something along the lines of "tbh I've always been kind of into [thing]" into a cell. I undid it before the autosave (I think? no one said anything anyway), but holy hell that remains the most nervewracking nanosecond of my life.
  • 26854 ✅
  • 75932 ✅
  • 76413 i like big butts and i cannot lie
  • 42987 ✅

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. It's me, the Time Doctor work guy.

Posting here because we've just been told to update to TIME DOCTOR 2. Looking into it, Time Doctor 2 features something called "Silent Tracking". This means there is a kind of tracking going on when the computer is on, not just when the App is running.

This video indicates users cannot see it or interact with it unless they use task manager:
https://support2.timedoctor.com/knowledge/why-move-from-time-doctor-classic-to-time-doctor-2

My question is; does anyone know how to potentially beat this or prevent it from working? I will pass on this info to everyone who works here.

Wait a few seasons and he'll regenerate, maybe you'll like it then.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I imagine it has about the same justification as the "max length of sideburns allowed" section added to the policy this year too.

Was this because of the owner's rockabilly son?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Trying to prepare for a major beer event and the restaurant manager is arguing for bringing only a handful of styles and only a few kegs. I asked him what we should do if we sold out and he said go get more. The event is 30 minutes away without traffic...

It's also not like we get charged for cold room space, there's a limit, but it's more to make sure every brewery has space in the cold storage. So if we don't sell everything, worst case scenario is bringing some kegs back. Definitely cheaper than the gas for several trips. Last year we didn't sell much but I think attendance was down and my boss had us only bring three beers and two taps.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Still never sent an email to the wrong person/people though. :toot:

Ugh, I have done this while applying for jobs so many times. I always just assume they delete my email the second they notice my resume isn't attached & take the L in advance.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but why is this an issue why could you not just delete your "lol lmao" comment from the spreadsheet?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Chewbecca posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but why is this an issue why could you not just delete your "lol lmao" comment from the spreadsheet?

If version tracking and autosave is on, he'll leave a I'm really into accordion music ✓ and a bubble saying he edited it, but I assume you can accept and forget edits like that?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Outrail posted:

This is not getting nearly enough love.

:nice:

Which timeline are you posting from and are you hiring?

I'm in Norway (here, specifically), and
apparently? (Job type "11a Forskning" is research positions- I can't link to a filtered search)

Absolutely no guarantees about the mood in other institutes or even other departments, and I'm not going to say which group I'm in. (Too small, I'd be too obvious)

It has its own bullshit, mostly around the hospital obviously being focused on treatment first, and IT being outsourced to another semi-independent but ultimately state owned/run group that we have to treat like a consultancy buy at the same time can't change away from. The saga of "we're planning a new IT infrastructure for the researchers" is very long, underfunded, and vaguely menacing: You never know when they'll remove some other crucial functionality from the current network because it's a security risk because it hasn't been maintained because it's getting replaced. The current idea for a complete replacement is a "use sharepoint to create a project you can citrix into and then you can SSH/RDP into VMs inside there", which could genuinely be made to work by someone putting more effort into it.

But the researchers and managers around me seem genuinely nice, and if you manage to wrangle a permanent position you're basically set for life. Wages are fine but obviously lower than the private market.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 28, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I would not want to work at any Foreskinning job.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Today is my last day at my old company and I started it by threatening to sue my soon-to-be-ex-boss (again!) because she once again broke copyright and IP law by misattributing eight whole pieces of content to someone else in the company.

It felt extremely cathartic. I hope my other lawsuit (wrongful termination) also feels as good.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Computer viking posted:

If version tracking and autosave is on, he'll leave a I'm really into accordion music ✓ and a bubble saying he edited it, but I assume you can accept and forget edits like that?

Ahh okay, makes sense

I have never worked in a collaborative spreadsheet with those kinds of settings enabled, but I can see how it might be useful

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Today is my last day at my old company and I started it by threatening to sue my soon-to-be-ex-boss (again!) because she once again broke copyright and IP law by misattributing eight whole pieces of content to someone else in the company.

It felt extremely cathartic. I hope my other lawsuit (wrongful termination) also feels as good.

gently caress em up, goon

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Chewbecca posted:

gently caress em up, goon

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Chewbecca posted:

Computer viking posted:

*She, it was a Google Doc, and I Ctrl-Z'ed the instant I saw that it wasn't a checkmark because I didn't know until I tried it just now that hitting Delete after pasting something into a cell would delete all of the contents of the cell. I have no way of knowing whether or not I was quicker than the autosave, but again, no one confronted me so :shrug:

Accordion music is lovely. :) __:q:__

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Our work volume is far too much for our small team to handle but according to our boss (who has never worked in our field and, in fact, worked in a completely different one before power wrestling our division over to their side for reasons that remain mysterious to this day) it's just a question of efficiency :shepface:

Yes, we could stand to be more efficient but going Agile or whatever bullshit will not solve the issue of voluminous requests coming in daily

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Our work volume is far too much for our small team to handle but according to our boss (who has never worked in our field and, in fact, worked in a completely different one before power wrestling our division over to their side for reasons that remain mysterious to this day) it's just a question of efficiency :shepface:

Yes, we could stand to be more efficient but going Agile or whatever bullshit will not solve the issue of voluminous requests coming in daily

Outlook has these neat to do lists that might help you better organize your time?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Had another meeting about the sheer insanity of my varied responsibilities and workload.

The solution is 'we need money to hire a 2IC before outrail snaps' but apparently the real solution is to have another meeting and talk about the problem that's been well understood for over a year.

When I make employees have a planning meeting the end result is a workplan, deliverables and a checklist of action items.

When they want to have a meeting the end result is a redefinition of the problems, a few vague things that could help fix it and no actual progress. Repeat in three months. I swear to god what is with boomers and their magical thinking that having a strategy meeting is the same as actually getting anything useful done?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Outlook has these neat to do lists that might help you better organize your time?

It's not even time management, it's volume management and processes

Are we better than we were six months ago? Sure but we still do not have time to think. Like our director-level person is doing event management by themselves because they took away the budget for an actual events person

Just the way this place is run is so weird

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mllaneza posted:

Printers are the devil, but barcodes are life. I resolve this tension by being vocally grateful that someone else on the team is the label printer SME.
My augmented reality pipe dream is we can go back to big rolls of preprint labels and then my cool idiot of things augmented reality glasses inducts them in as appropriate and gives me read outs of meta data.

I feel like we're drunk on the power of label print outs. Yes, it's useful to see part number 42069 is 12" Rainbow Dildo. I'm not going to see that 30 feet up in the rack but if you buy me the right scan gun it can probably tag the barcode and tell me that along with telling me it was Fred who stuck it here in the pocket pussy zone instead of the dildo zone.

But I might just be personally extremely tired of people asking me about "how come this section is blank, that's wrong right?" Yes it's wrong but not as wrong as the bullshit system errors that means it took 8 hours to load a truck.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I just put a 2 min delay on all outgoing emails in outlook so I have time to check if I hosed up something after hitting "send".

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

This is a bunch of cool stuff, not surprising coming from that excellent boss Rick. Seriously love him and the horse he rode in on.

edited by slosifl at 2:19PM

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I imagine it has about the same justification as the "max length of sideburns allowed" section added to the policy this year too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
It took me two weeks to start and complete the deliverables for a project. That was six weeks ago. Our lawyers just today finished negotiating the NDA for the project. The actual contract will likely take another two weeks of negotiation before it gets signed. The invoice for my work won't go out for at least another month after that. We're not even a government agency. Every one of my clients has been astonished at how slow our basic processes are. I don't understand how we are still in business.