Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Is the 20 questions bit only a series 15 YouTube bit?

There are different interview conceits for every series - 13 was take a walk with alex for exactly x steps and also answer the questions, 14 was psychoanalysis by Dr. Alex Horne

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5COBhH4B8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Leraika posted:

There are different interview conceits for every series - 13 was take a walk with alex for exactly x steps and also answer the questions, 14 was psychoanalysis by Dr. Alex Horne

edit:

John Kearns was the bit. I would love to see Sophie in such a situation she is properly delightfully mad.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Ohhh, Junior Taskmaster news. I just got an email for tickets, and this is the description:

I got an email too, and they said there was only two filmings, so I wonder if this is some sort of test run, with only a couple of episodes to see how it goes. I'm not familiar with the other kid versions of shows like the kids Bake Off so I don't know if the runs are usually a lot shorter, but that would make sense I guess.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Leraika posted:

edit:

The task Fern mentions Bridget doing is this one (originally from Bäst i Test)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Y5w2PX8eA

Brigadier Sockface posted:

John Kearns was the bit. I would love to see Sophie in such a situation she is properly delightfully mad.
Her stroll with Alex is also a fun one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86UEUpON8eY

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Another amazing episode, but the amount of points given away for the final task is bound to be controversial.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Fantastic episode, maybe one of my all-time favorites. Yeah though that point swing at the end seems a bit severe.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
You greedy bastard

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I take it back. Frankie is doing great

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
just past the prize task now and oh my god this group really is amazing in the studio

e: holy poo poo the final task points situation

neongrey fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 28, 2023

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Just found the thread.
Halfway through EP 5 and enjoying it, and the series has reached that "ahhh, there we go" phase for me.

Edit. Genuinely shocked and surprised by Ivo in the faking task. I would have given him 5.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I know the points don't count and whatnot, but that 15 point swing over the final two tasks felt a bit like poor Ivo and Frankie might as well just pack up and go home now. That final task in particular felt very heavily weighted in favour of a three-person team.

I do like the Frankie/Ivo duo now though. Them doing silly voices at each other was hilarious, they instantly reverted back to being daft wee boys with walkie-talkies, bless.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

That last task was some actual bullshit.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The 2 team tasks made it basically impossible for either Frankie or Ivo to win the episode outside of other crazy shenanigans which I think is a shame. A 15-point swing is really outside of the usual impact of team tasks. Also no coincidence they are both on the bottom for the season now. And by a significant margin too.

Fun episode though. Kiell getting the Joe Wilkinson/Nish Kumar failure narrative treatment is interesting. He exudes a lot more confidence and an air of competence than the usual failure contestant.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 28, 2023

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

...and was that Jenny is now top by a point or something??
The way they are arranging the order of the tasks to get these points results is baffling. I really want to bet actual money on this season for some reason.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The team tasks with uneven teams always bother me. It'd be fine if there were 4 contestants. I can understand why they don't have 6 though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think the spoon task was well-balanced, and the team of three didn't have any real advantage there. The studio task was definitely easier for them, though.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah the studio task was a bit BS. Team of three had a massive advantage and also the fact that it was team task made it impossible for Kiell to win against Mae

Them get a ridiculous amount of points for it for no reason either :wtf:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's often times in the live tasks where you can tell something didn't quite work out the way it was originally planned. In this case I think the point was that the team of three would win for sure but then it would be functionally impossible to actually count the number of objects - they got lucky on Mae's guess being right. I wouldn't be surprised if this team task was deliberately put after the team task where one team failed completely and the other didn't to balance out the scores a bit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

or they've got some similar potential swing planned in a later task to dramatically equalize it

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Tenebrais posted:

There's often times in the live tasks where you can tell something didn't quite work out the way it was originally planned. In this case I think the point was that the team of three would win for sure but then it would be functionally impossible to actually count the number of objects - they got lucky on Mae's guess being right. I wouldn't be surprised if this team task was deliberately put after the team task where one team failed completely and the other didn't to balance out the scores a bit.

Yeah I think the team of three winning in this case was supposed to be extremely difficult, you'd have to factor in the team potentially not realizing at all that they could take things out and count them, not counting dropped items, the other team sabotaging (which Frankie and Ivo kinda did, halfheartedly), confusion over what counts as a single item, etc. But they pulled it off, so they get the points. On the scale of Taskmaster, I don't think it's particularly unfair.

EDIT: You could present it as a choice to the team of three, maybe, to go double or nothing if you wanted to make it a little more even.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I might have preferred it if it was "You provisionally have 5 points, but you have to defend them, and if you fail the counting half the other team steals 2 points back" - less swingy, plus it does give the team who wins the first half a minor lead even if they fail the second half.

The "Faking It" task was the stand out, obviously. Another good example of Frankie just staying on the right side of the line - he took it to a darker place than the other contestants, but kept it silly enough for Taskmaster. Mae and Ivo also had very strong showings, either of those could have taken it on other nights.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Here's part 1 of the season 15 outtakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFTsq4kYdp8

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

The team tasks with uneven teams always bother me. It'd be fine if there were 4 contestants. I can understand why they don't have 6 though.

there was a task in I think season 2 where they brought in josh widecombe to join the team of two to balance things out, I guess that's one solution.

There have been some team tasks where it seems like having fewer people gives an advantage, so I guess the idea is over the course of the season it sort of balances out

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

there was a task in I think season 2 where they brought in josh widecombe to join the team of two to balance things out, I guess that's one solution.

There have been some team tasks where it seems like having fewer people gives an advantage, so I guess the idea is over the course of the season it sort of balances out

Yeah, I think they're usually pretty good at having a variety of tasks where sometimes having 2 is better, sometimes 3 is better. 2 was obviously much better for the spoon task, shame about Ivo going all ADHD at the end and losing it.

I am genuinely unsure what the intent was with the way they did the points in the live task, like from a game design perspective. It's so specific there's got to be something to it, but heck if I know.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Last task was bullshit. Simple as.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ed Gamble was immediately very mad about it on the podcast lol

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

eke out posted:

Ed Gamble was immediately very mad about it on the podcast lol

Is that the official podcast? Is it any good?

Man With Scissor
Mar 18, 2008

Phigs posted:

Here's part 1 of the season 15 outtakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFTsq4kYdp8

These are amazing, as always. Love the studio banter this season.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

RickRogers posted:

Is that the official podcast? Is it any good?

I enjoy it, it's Ed Gamble and then someone, quite often from the series in question or a previous one, talking about the episode. Sometimes the quality depends on how long it's been since the episode in question or just how much they gave a poo poo but you get some interesting behind the scenes anecdotes or stuff to do with filming. Sometimes you get some old beefs rehashed or some poo poo talking. If it's not one where the guest was on the episode it's down to how good the episode was and how funny the guest is of course. Those ones can be a mixed bag, Ed Gamble and a lot of the UK comedians have a pretty good rapport though, a lot of them know each other really well.

When it started they started with Series 10 cause that was airing and then went back to the beginning of the show and then whenever a new series of it starts they skip forward to that for the duration, then go back to where they were. Think they were midway through series 9 when this latest one started. I don't think they've said what they'll do when they finish that though. Maybe they'll just cycle it endlessly with different guests forever or maybe it'll be done.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That last task absolutely sounds like something Ed would be up in arms about.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

yeah i beelined for the podcast after this ep even though i'm still playing catchup

but i thought he was oddly reserved about it? i don't know, maybe i drifted off earlier in the episode than i thought, perils of bedtime listening

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the first two episodes of the new season:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The team task of Frankie and Ivo is probably one of the funniest things on Taskmaster, the ending is just perfect.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

not a bot posted:

The team task of Frankie and Ivo is probably one of the funniest things on Taskmaster, the ending is just perfect.

Frankie's squeaky voiced "No! Ivo you greedy bastard!" was hilarious.

I always like the team tasks where they genuinely seem to get on. The season with Iain Stirling and Lou Sanders was just excruciating.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

OrthoTrot posted:

Frankie's squeaky voiced "No! Ivo you greedy bastard!" was hilarious.

I always like the team tasks where they genuinely seem to get on. The season with Iain Stirling and Lou Sanders was just excruciating.

Putting it nicely, season 8 was.... sometimes very hard to like.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Are seasons 8-11 the Dark Age of Taskmaster?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

anilEhilated posted:

I think after season 7 it was a hard come down. Luv me season 11 though.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

RickRogers posted:

Putting it nicely, season 8 was.... sometimes very hard to like.

I really like the season as a whole. Even the team tasks aren't all bad because the dynamic of the other team is a nice palette cleanser. Just all the hyper competitive stuff is awful.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

anilEhilated posted:

At least three of those series are pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Am I the spider? Lmfao.