Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Japan also has a cultural thing with really taking appreciating and enjoying food seriously. Watch Tampopo if you haven't already, it's a really great loving parody slash earnest celebration of the kind of culturally ingrained foodie mindset you never see in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (May 15-22, 1937)

One of the things I love about Foster's work is the research and attention to detail he puts into practical, 'mundane' scenes like Val crafting the saddle. You can see that he is also starting to break free from the four-by-three grid here, though it will take some time yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

barbecue at the folks posted:

Japan also has a cultural thing with really taking appreciating and enjoying food seriously. Watch Tampopo if you haven't already, it's a really great loving parody slash earnest celebration of the kind of culturally ingrained foodie mindset you never see in the West.

Seconding Tampopo, it’s an amazing film

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tessa nooooo dont do something stupid (beyond being a magical girl fighting monsters)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tampopo rules

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I remember Tampopo being a very funny movie, although at least half of the funny memories involve my japanese teacher launching herself across the room and scrabbling at the VCR controls two seconds after she remembered that it has some strangely bizarre sex scenes that you probably don’t want to show to a bunch of 14 year olds during any hours but especially during school hours.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

uvar posted:

Anyway, since that's a boring post I'll share a fun fact that I didn't mention at the time: A redbubble print of your Avigraph was in my office for a while, and now it's in a biology classroom. Partly because it's Australian-themed and colourful, and it can provoke discussion about why the species are so varied. But also, to paraphrase Marge Simpson, it's just neat. (There wasn't loads of room so it did end up next to the paper towel dispenser though, sorry.)

No way!! That's the best news I've had all day. Is this, like, an Australian bio room...?
Anyway my sister works in PR and wants to manage my art stuff as a side project. Rather than, you know, being content with posting Dune/Dr Seuss crossovers in a GBS thread of twelve people, &etc.

This makes me feel joy. And a small amount of terror.

Owl at Home posted:

One of the things I love about Foster's work is the research and attention to detail he puts into practical, 'mundane' scenes like Val crafting the saddle. You can see that he is also starting to break free from the four-by-three grid here, though it will take some time yet.

A thing I was wondering, particularly after seeing the "castle escape" episodes- is it possible Foster composed his pictures with the aid of actors and life-sized props? Pretty sure that's what Norman Rockwell did.
It's just a feeling I get from the art. Otherwise, Foster's spatial sense is absurdly perfect.

uvar posted:

Happy, Tree Bucket??

Yes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:wow:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

Dagger's head is hard to draw. I have no one but myself to blame for this.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Tree Bucket posted:

A thing I was wondering, particularly after seeing the "castle escape" episodes- is it possible Foster composed his pictures with the aid of actors and life-sized props? Pretty sure that's what Norman Rockwell did.
It's just a feeling I get from the art. Otherwise, Foster's spatial sense is absurdly perfect.

Oh, definitely. I'm certain he used a mixture of life studies, photo reference, and making stuff up from standardized illustration techniques. I'm sure he also kept a morgue file of potential reference material, which I can only imagine was enormous. I think a lot of the horse scenes take reference from film stills and western painting, but that's just a hunch.

We have it so good these days compared to him. If I want to know what a typical helmet from a specific region in a specific period looked like, I can just plug it into google and there it is. If I want to draw a horse in a certain pose, I can instantaneously pull up 100+ unique horse videos on YouTube and scrub through them until I find the exact pose and angle I'm looking for. Hal Foster had to do all this stuff library and encyclopedia style! The sheer amount of legwork he spent on research must have been insane!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

THE DRAW PLAY

GAMER FOOTBALL FANS as promised. football players and coaches can be very very large men. this comic asks and answers the question "if the hulk hulked out, who would he turn in to?"

FILE FOOTAGE

Roger Goodell was the commissioner of football. he was known for inconsistently enforcing (or most troublingly: not enforcing) punishments for players for on and off the field violations of conduct. he pretty much couldn't do anything without pissing off a lot of people. Anyway there were several players at the time known for being "dirty" players: intentionally performing dangerous maneuvers and seemingly having no remorse for injuring other players. James Harrison who played for the pittsburgh steelers was one such player. he played for many long years before being let go, probably to the relief of roger goodell who no longer had to deal with that headache... until pittsburgh re-signed him for a year.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Touhou Peanuts

Seija Kijin, an amanojaku who does... well... that. She always thinks the opposite of what other people think and her ability is to turn anything to its opposite state. In her boss fight she flips the screen a bunch, which is exactly as annoying as it sounds.

Occult balls were the plot items in one of the fighting games. That collecting seven of them would grant a wish was however a false rumour spread by the final boss of that game.

None of today's strips had the text in the originals so once again I've added them, which is why they're not in broken English.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
been awhile since i had to to include a

CW: Suicide

Demon
Chapter 13.07

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

I can't find it but pretend I posted that "The end! No morals" panel

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Welp, didn't see that one coming. Demon's plots are usually so convoluted that it's a bit of a left turn to be all 'Lol nope'.

PYF Comic: After 217 years it can finally end

Frush has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Apr 28, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That's a pretty good twist. Didn't see it coming at all, but not even because it's that nonsensical or because of hidden information or anything. Just got too used to seeing things through Jimmy's lens.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sorry for not posting; I'm catsitting and somehow that's taking more brain bandwidth than it should. No Fingerpori or ANSU for a bit.

That's fantastic! Great work :haw:

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

117 - Life at the edge of the Invisible Zone
118 - Color shooter
119 - Hiders in sound
120 - Map
121 - The listener in the swarm

122 - Far enough

123 - Sounded like a woman

124 - Dancing

Plume being a coward: 1
Alien species seen: 47
:biotruths:: 6
Talking character deaths: 7 (+1 Alacrity)
Deaths overall: 33 (+1)

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Apr 28, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Nothing sadder than eating poo poo moments after someone compliments your skill

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like how up until this moment I was assuming their women are roughly similar in size/shape to their men, but then I saw the stains on those teeth

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Reminder

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Benagain posted:

I can't find it but pretend I posted that "The end! No morals" panel

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Dolmistaska

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I like how up until this moment I was assuming their women are roughly similar in size/shape to their men, but then I saw the stains on those teeth

Lostclock would be disappointed in you if he was still alive

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

I didn’t feel like translating a bunch of screaming and spluttering.
WTFery note: That’s not Mr. Inari in blackface, but rather black inari is inari-zushi where the fried tofu casing has been cooked in its sweet soy sauce seasoning extra long, making the flavor more intense and the color darker.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, laundry shenanigans

This time Jared finally gets some recognition
11/22/2013 - Jared has an honourary PhD in Pokemon Happiness

quote:

Lysandre’s design as fun to play around with because he’s supposed to be very suave and attractive and obsessed with beauty and all that, and the easiest route for the GameFreak guys on that probably would have just been to make some kind of Vega clone but instead they elected to design some kin of big hairy dude who looks like the scienceBaby of Will Powers, Damon Gant, and Ganondorf. I still feel like as far as beardy older guys go Lysandre should still be kind of a pretty dude, because beardy doesn’t necessarily have to mean rugged. So when I was figuring out how I wanted to interpret his Pokemon design into this style I tried to splice in a heavy dose of David Bowie, because I could totally see Lysandre being some kind of weird french Ganon-Jareth

11/30/2013 - I was so surprised to find out he was the bad guy

quote:

In case you aren’t familiar with Pokemon x/y, most of the dialogue in this comic is taken from actual in-game dialogue and Prof Sycamore’s reaction is how he actually responded to Lysandre’s weird Serial killer rant. Like, he invites you to a cafe to meet his good pal Lysandre, Lysandre goes on this weird CLEANSE THE FILTH monologue and walks off, and Sycamore is just like “what a passionate person! So proud and noble!”

12/07/2013 - If there’s one thing Jared is competent at it’s loving Mr. Fish

quote:

I draw Mr. Fish Anime-Gyarados-sized, so it’s worth remembering that an in-game Gyarados is supposed to be 21 feet long and weigh about 520lbs, ie, slightly larger than an average adult anaconda.

He ate his veggies and drank his milk.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

RICE BOY

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So innards are a general source of life and intelligence, not just the ones specifically inside someone? Could you just stuff more rice in there and make a Super Mr. Inari?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Bybloemen

End of chapter 3. Chapter 4 is still ongoing, but before that we have some extras:

There's only about 26 pages of chapter 4 so far, that's maybe a week of daily posts before we hit the end of the archive.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

Motivation \o/

I like Zatto a lot, though I'm not too sure why.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Zatto too. It's the pure passion that does it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Do the mating dance well enough so she's more interested in sex than food' is literally how it works for spiders, iirc.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Van von Hunter

Surely her brain injury has been solved now, right?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, I lied, no sex scene this time, as we get distracted by one more patriarchical rear end in a top hat who needs to get stomped. But next time, definitely.

Hothead Paisan, Lesbian Homicidal Terrorist: Issue #20, Part 3

All spoilered panels are for :nws:.

The art has gotten a lot better and a lot cleaner, but that last profile hoo boy:

Those bottom two panels are one of the reasons I still love this comic. Just beautiful and clear in their joy.

And... that's it.

I mean, there are still a few episodes I'll post unless yelled at to stop. A "Hothead's Alphabet", an episode written much later to introduce people to Hothead (I assume for a reprinting), a last adventure with Roz in the '90s that's fun but doesn't have any growth or say anything new. But this is the last episode of HH as an indie zine, and ends on a pretty decent note: realizing and consumating a relationship with someone who agrees with her views, but has a more healthy outlet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: The mysterious romantic uses heroin energy to shoot the spaghetti back at Joseph Joseph Joseph! The man turns out to be Dragon Cepelis from Italy!

Read right to left:

Chapter 63 - Enter Jose Joestar's Bedroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

e: too slow