Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read somewhere that Muhammed Ali met Gorgeous George at one point and/or watched a match, and got the idea to play the heel to the media to sell tickets to his matches, figuring it'd work for a real sport as well as a fake one. He was right.

A match between Gorgeous George and Freddy Blassie, yeah. Ali noticed that this worked fight drew better than his real fight, and paid attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Arbite posted:

A match between Gorgeous George and Freddy Blassie, yeah. Ali noticed that this worked fight drew better than his real fight, and paid attention.

To be fair, Ville Valo does claim he designed the heartagram, and Bam Margera does believe he is Ville Valo, so

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dustin got a little too far into the gimmick sometimes.

He once pitched to Vince that he should get breast implants.

Yeeeah.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read somewhere that Muhammed Ali met Gorgeous George at one point and/or watched a match, and got the idea to play the heel to the media to sell tickets to his matches, figuring it'd work for a real sport as well as a fake one. He was right.

And as a result of that fateful meeting, sports entertainment was born. Just think, without Gorgeous George there would be no Connor McGregor press conferences or Skip Bayless TV shows.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

And as a result of that fateful meeting, sports entertainment was born. Just think, without Gorgeous George there would be no Connor McGregor press conferences or Skip Bayless TV shows.

Terminatoring up here and setting my time machine to "Gorgeous George's first match"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My dad is old enough to have seen Gorgeous George "back in the day" and used to talk about how he'd toss out Bobby Pins to the crowd, but he'd call them "Georgie Pins".

Also, was "Adorable" Adrian Adonis a gay panic gimmick?

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

wesleywillis posted:

My dad is old enough to have seen Gorgeous George "back in the day" and used to talk about how he'd toss out Bobby Pins to the crowd, but he'd call them "Georgie Pins".

Also, was "Adorable" Adrian Adonis a gay panic gimmick?

It was a gay panic character but also more of a Vince punishing a wrestler because he put on a bunch of weight.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Dr. Zoggle posted:

It was a gay panic character but also more of a Vince punishing a wrestler because he put on a bunch of weight.

a technique also known as the Bastion Booger

maybe that counts more as part or the "fat guys shoving their balls and/or rear end in someone's face panic"

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 27, 2023

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I always thought Vince was the one who wanted goldust to get implants lol

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

I always thought Vince was the one who wanted goldust to get implants lol

Nope. In a rare, rare display of Vince being reasonable, he turned down Dustin's offer.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Imagine having an idea so batshit crazy that Vince McMahon has to tell you to take it down a notch

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Imagine having an idea so batshit crazy that Vince McMahon has to tell you to take it down a notch

has happened more often than you think lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wrestlers are crazy

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

has happened more often than you think lol

I would love an effortpost on this topic, if any of the loremasters ITT are up to it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I would love an effortpost on this topic, if any of the loremasters ITT are up to it.

its not an effort post but vince and ultimate warrior exchanged letters over a contract dispute that ultimately led to warrior being fired and vince comes off as the sane and rational person in the face of warriors insane demands lol

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The stage play 'Love Letters' except it's Vince's correspondence with the Ultimate Warrior.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Prof. Crocodile posted:

The one story that comes to mind is that of John Heidenreich. Heidenreich looked like a cross between Ken Shamrock and the Frankenstein Monster. A tall, lanky, deranged-looking guy dressed as an MMA fighter. He's probably worth a one-post deep dive write-up as his short career has included:

- Reading poetry to Michael Cole in a way that simulated rape.

- Being comedically afraid of caskets.

- Walking around with a giant candy bar.

- Telling a fellow wrestler, "I like what you do to babies," in what was one of the most homoerotic moments in wrestling.

- Winning the tag titles as the newest member of Legion of Doom.

Anyway, when the writers' room was trying to come up with a gimmick for this crazy-looking, giant blond man, one guy came up with quite the idea. The idea was that Heidenreich was a nazi soldier from WWII who was frozen and was just thawed out. The guy started doing the salute and goose-stepped around the office, thinking like he was a genius.

Vince stared at the writer, quietly stood up, left the room, and never returned.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There's the story of when the Ultimate Warrior presented DESTRUCITY to Vince and company when he returned for WM12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOv2ewcrFDA

Doesn't really cover Vince's reaction, though

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Isn't there also a story that in the 90s they gave this guy some kind of robot/cyborg type gimmick with a dumb costume, the guy gets in the ring to give a demo or whatever and Vince just starts yelling at the guy to dance?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know why they make so many weird gimmicks. The most popular ones are always Florida man, southerner with cool truck, fat guy, evil European, or NY/LA rear end in a top hat.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure Dustin was probably hosed up when he suggested that because he started getting addicted to pain killers and booze in 1996 after an injury.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

comedy wrestlers loving rule give me more santino marella

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

There's the story of when the Ultimate Warrior presented DESTRUCITY to Vince and company when he returned for WM12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOv2ewcrFDA

Doesn't really cover Vince's reaction, though

I dream that there is a warehouse full of unsold Warrior comic books somewhere in Stanford, CT.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gavok posted:

The one story that comes to mind is that of John Heidenreich. Heidenreich looked like a cross between Ken Shamrock and the Frankenstein Monster. A tall, lanky, deranged-looking guy dressed as an MMA fighter. He's probably worth a one-post deep dive write-up as his short career has included:

- Reading poetry to Michael Cole in a way that simulated rape.

- Being comedically afraid of caskets.

- Walking around with a giant candy bar.

- Telling a fellow wrestler, "I like what you do to babies," in what was one of the most homoerotic moments in wrestling.

- Winning the tag titles as the newest member of Legion of Doom.

Anyway, when the writers' room was trying to come up with a gimmick for this crazy-looking, giant blond man, one guy came up with quite the idea. The idea was that Heidenreich was a nazi soldier from WWII who was frozen and was just thawed out. The guy started doing the salute and goose-stepped around the office, thinking like he was a genius.

Vince stared at the writer, quietly stood up, left the room, and never returned.

IIRC, the pitch also had the Nazi character being managed by Paul Heyman, who is not only Jewish, but whose mother survived the Holocaust.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Szyznyk posted:

I dream that there is a warehouse full of unsold Warrior comic books somewhere in Stanford, CT.

I fully believe there is still a cardboard box full of unsold J.O.B Squad t-shirts in Al Snow's garage.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm sure Dustin was probably hosed up when he suggested that because he started getting addicted to pain killers and booze in 1996 after an injury.

dustin was really hosed up but his lowest point has to be when he was slumming in TNA dressed like a gimp

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dusty raised some weird kids

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
warrior wanted vince to buy one million dollars worth of unsold ultimate warrior comics to make up for a dispute and vince told him to gently caress off

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

warrior wanted vince to buy one million dollars worth of unsold ultimate warrior comics to make up for a dispute and vince told him to gently caress off

lol

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its not an effort post but vince and ultimate warrior exchanged letters over a contract dispute that ultimately led to warrior being fired and vince comes off as the sane and rational person in the face of warriors insane demands lol

didn't Vince end up bringing him back for a wrestlemania, but because it was last second and Vince was desperate warrior made him pay like half a million?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dustin was really hosed up but his lowest point has to be when he was slumming in TNA dressed like a gimp

If you mention that point in his life to him on Twitter it's an instant block.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

didn't Vince end up bringing him back for a wrestlemania, but because it was last second and Vince was desperate warrior made him pay like half a million?

i think that was jeff jarret whose contract expired and he was going to wcw but he was still booked to wrestle a wwf even so shook vince down for half a million dollars to get him to wrestle vince paid him back later by firing him on live television after the wcw buyout. it might have also been warrior i dont think its the first time this happened to vince lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vandar posted:

i dont blame him

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Unfortunately, that's outside my area of expertise, so others will have to pick up my slack.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vandar posted:

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1351266182163267587?s=20

I swear the original version of the tweet ended with "spite is a hell of a motivator"

He was putting on some pretty good matches at 51 too.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dustin rhodes was always an underrated wrestler who had a lot of potential he was just saddled with a gimmick that had overstayed its welcome and had a lot of personal demons he needed to overcome before he could start putting on great matches

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

Well, the first time he was fired it was because he made Vince pay him more on the day of the show or he wouldn't do his match. I think it was Summer Slam. It was a tag match with Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter and Iron Sheik. According to Slaughter, Hogan's solution was to have Sheik break his leg but Vince paid in then fired him after the show.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Iron sheik is hilarious, I'll bet it was his idea.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think that was jeff jarret whose contract expired and he was going to wcw but he was still booked to wrestle a wwf even so shook vince down for half a million dollars to get him to wrestle vince paid him back later by firing him on live television after the wcw buyout. it might have also been warrior i dont think its the first time this happened to vince lol

The Jeff Jarrett thing was because he had either the ic or euro belt, and wasn't under contract anymore. He knew Vince would give him the payday so he wouldn't show up in WCW with the belt similar to what happened to the women's championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
promoters having a wrestler beat the poo poo out of another wrestler for real wasnt unheard of and sheiky once said (so maybe not true lol) that a rival promoter once offered him a lot of money to break hogan's leg during a match to stop his push and cripple the wwf's momentum