Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Title looks like it has some fun rolls this year, and the new Strand Scout seems fun as heck too. Really looking forward to it. The addition of the crafted levelling buff is nice, but every time it gets turned on it makes me feel it should be the baseline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I have been putting off most of the weekly challenges this season just so I could do them during the Guardian Games and get extra bullshit progress so I'm looking forward to them actually being here

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Finally got Loreley Splendor from the LLS! Does the exotic effect improve the restoration of all sunspots, or just one created when my health is low?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Finally got Loreley Splendor from the LLS! Does the exotic effect improve the restoration of all sunspots, or just one created when my health is low?

It’s the auto triggered one that goes off if your health is low OR the one you get when you pop barricade. Not all sunspots, but the barricade one you have control over. Run rally barricade, be preemptive about using it. Basically if you’re getting it auto triggered it should tell you you’re behind the curve/exposed, you’ll gradually get a better feel for staying ahead of it. With some mods and embers lined up you should be able to get pretty good uptime on restoration. Phone posting or id link builds and stuff.

I like to unbind auto melee and bind charged and uncharged to the same button, that way you can always hammer for more healing, aim down at an angle and don’t throw up stairs or to platforms, just hammer crotches and such and the hammer never goes far. You’ll send it between legs occasionally.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

uwaeve posted:

It’s the auto triggered one that goes off if your health is low OR the one you get when you pop barricade. Not all sunspots, but the barricade one you have control over. Run rally barricade, be preemptive about using it. Basically if you’re getting it auto triggered it should tell you you’re behind the curve/exposed, you’ll gradually get a better feel for staying ahead of it. With some mods and embers lined up you should be able to get pretty good uptime on restoration. Phone posting or id link builds and stuff.

I like to unbind auto melee and bind charged and uncharged to the same button, that way you can always hammer for more healing, aim down at an angle and don’t throw up stairs or to platforms, just hammer crotches and such and the hammer never goes far. You’ll send it between legs occasionally.

I literally just changed the bindings to have uncharged and charged melee as the same button. It’s a game changer not accidentally punching enemies while I try and back off.

Loreley makes it feel like it’s really hard to die. There’s a ton of options as Sunbreaker to heal yourself.

How important is running solar weapons? I’ve mostly been doing Void heavies, but I have a masterwork Ascendancy that’s good and solar. I pretty much just have Sunshot and Skyburner’s Oath for exotics, but it’s hard to switch from Witherhoard. I can craft an Ammit R2, so maybe I need to finally get around to doing some crafted weapons. I’d really like a Calus Mini-Tool, but there’s no way to farm that so I guess I’ll just wait for Banshee to remember to put one out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Where do I find out what the Adept weapon and challenge for the Master raid for the week are? TodayInDestiny and light.gg don't seem to have it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://bray.tech/

https://kyberscorner.com/

RBX fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 27, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

does Path of Burning Step's damage buff apply to all weapons or just what you proc the effect with? Can I spray down some ads with my primary and benefit from the damage buff on my heavy?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How important is running solar weapons? I’ve mostly been doing Void heavies, but I have a masterwork Ascendancy that’s good and solar. I pretty much just have Sunshot and Skyburner’s Oath for exotics, but it’s hard to switch from Witherhoard. I can craft an Ammit R2, so maybe I need to finally get around to doing some crafted weapons. I’d really like a Calus Mini-Tool, but there’s no way to farm that so I guess I’ll just wait for Banshee to remember to put one out.

I can’t really pin it to a “how important,” but there is synergy depending mainly on the embers you choose. So for max explosions you run the embers that interact with scorch, ignition, or solar weapon kills, and run something with incandescent.

That said, once I got into the rhythm/timing of crutching off the actual sun breaker/loreley mechanics, I definitely branched out and now I’ll run anything with it, knowing I get a bit less synergy and maybe don’t take so many risks. This season I have a wavesplitter build I use with void titan for maximum synergy, or lorely sunbreaker that has sorta different survivability tools. The ikelos volt shot smg or a void thing woth repulsor brace (since you can get volatile from the artifact this season) can both be strong too if you are looking to fight at smg ranges.

My sorta standard goofing off/dungeon loadout is loreley, witherhoard, minitool, eager edge sword. I will carry a chill clip riptide and reconstruction succession and heritage (top slot), trustee, ikelos, hero’s burden, tarrabah (mid slot), and retrofit escapade, lament (bottom slot) and that sorta covers most of my “dicking around on sunbreaker” this season. Sometimes I work in a shotgun, rocket launcher, linear fusion, whatever.

All that poo poo will take me solo through the bulk of the dungeons encounters and between-encounter spaces pretty efficiently, with some specific sections/encounters needing other tools entirely (duality vault I need a waveframe as an example for the phalanxes).

Calus mini tool is still my go to but if I didn’t have access, ammit with incandescent is gonna be fine. I don’t have a strong opinion on column 3 perks, maybe triple tap or ambitious assassin, I usually check the goon crafting spreadsheet. Not to make you feel bad about not having it, but the mini tool I run specifically on solar titan is incandescent/graverobber because it reloads on powered melee kill, which for below “hard” content is happening constantly.

If you don’t have the witherhoard catalyst, I highly recommend just grinding it out, it’s a game changer. I think seasonal catalyst bonus progression may now (or will soon?) apply to any seasons weapon catalyst. I think i did mine in momentum control and control with witherhoard itself (suiciding to restock) or fighting Lion, following people around and cleaning up their engagements.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Solar weapons are not very important IMO. I would run void for everything to abuse volatile flow and bricks from beyond. You're entire loop is murdering things with a hammer. the solar weapons are like irrelevant to your core gameplay loop of murdering everything with a hammer and proccing cure/sunspots/radient with your murder hammer.

re: Solar Titan

For most of my solar titan builds I'll consider running a finisher mod to get my hammer back because I can be very bad at actually landing mid range hammers. In difficult content, I spend alot of time looking about 4 feet infront of me and chain hammering everythings ankles. You will also become incredibly aware of if there is a wall behind your target or not.

Related to fragments you have a pretty wide variety of options to slot in depending on the content you're doing. In mid tier difficulty you can run alot of fun fragments that build on scorch and ignitions. I'm not super familiar with these but Char and things that give more stacks/ignitions/aoe is probably what you want. As you push into more dangerous content, there are a few that I really like.

These are totes my opinions and other people should add colour

Ember of Torches - IMO required on any solar build. Radiant provides anti-barrier and a free 15?25%? damage steroid for just being radiant. Run it as a Titan because some Warlocks don't depending on their flavor of welllock. You hammer freaking everything as a solar titan this is like a 100% up time free buff. This is on every single one of my solar builds.

Ember of Mercy - IMO probably one of the most powerful options in the game, especially in the Contest raid, Master Raid and GM space. (or whatever you're doing where people be dying). It's got a free +10 to Res, pops an AOE resto on rez and touching a firesprite gives resto. Typically there's some easy synergy to be had with other solar players who may be creating firesprites for you. Especially noticable in nightfalls/master raids when it's a solar burn and other people are popping off firesprites. This is on every single one of my solar builds.

Ember of Solace - Extend couple seconds on resto/solar affects. Up to you, kind of nice if adds are streaky or you're trying to extend some damage window or you're having issues keeping all your stuff procc'd. Replaceable IMO in alot of content since you can just hammer something to refresh resto or you're not going to be pushed to the brink of death. Nice insurance policy tho.

Ember of Singing - Makes lorelai pretty hard to kill since scorching targets gives class ability back which you will be doing alot by smacking them with a hamme feeding your regen loop off lorelai. This is useful if you don't have 100 res but IMO after you are comfortable hammering things to give yourself Resto and Radiant I would move on from this fragment ASAP. this thing is training wheels. you keep yourself alive by murdering things with a hammer and standing in the sunspot.

Ember of Empyrean - Useful if we really need to stay alive and keep resto up

Ember of Benelovence -> I don't feel the need to dip into aspects with this build to compress my regen loops. If you're a newer player though and don't have great armor stats yet, its def useful and saves you from blowing valuable armor mods on various stat fonts.

Other Solar thoughts -
Solar weapons are nice, but your hammer is your BFF and will extend/proc/whatever solar weapons do

Synco's are my preffered solar titan exotic. Your hammer now chunks yellow bars and staggers freaking everything and makes sunspots and you 1 shot like all the red bars so you just chain hammer murder things like a hammer train of murder. You can run a bunch of aspects to basically keep you alive because this build is OP as gently caress and makes "Hammer to the face" and the alternative strategy of "Many Hammers to the face on this stunlocked thing bc I am staggering it every hammer" a highly viable solution to most problems. If you are concerned about living run healing grenades and run Mercy, Emperym, Solace and Torches maybe.

current season, solar weapons
As an introduction to ~end game meta space~ that is basically just abusing the piss out of whatever seasonal mods are, I would 10000000000% run void weapons on most builds this season to take advantage of Volatile Flow which applies volatile that makes things explode and heal you as well as bricks from beyond which gives a purple brick every 2 yellow bar kills you get with a void weapon. If you're struggling with something please abuse the seasonal mods. I run void weapons on freaking everything that isn't like strand.

If you're very new and reading this, for the love of god please make sure you are buying your seasonal mods (neear your ghost and power weapons on your inventory screen) and you are actively matching the siphon mod in your hat to your main add clear weapon so you generate orbs.

Strand Weapons -> take the seasonal strand mods for suspend and bigger AoE, is very nice to murder the screen and suspend anything that isn't dead.

quote:

My sorta standard goofing off/dungeon loadout is loreley, witherhoard, minitool, eager edge sword. I will carry a chill clip riptide and reconstruction succession and heritage (top slot), trustee, ikelos, hero’s burden, tarrabah (mid slot), and retrofit escapade, lament (bottom slot) and that sorta covers most of my “dicking around on sunbreaker” this season. Sometimes I work in a shotgun, rocket launcher, linear fusion, whatever.
this is excellent weapon loadout advice.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People are saying 'Destiny runs like poo poo lately' but they're using the words wrong, and they often don't have CS backgrounds, which is causing a lot of upset in the community

I wonder if the TWAB will make any mention of this, since a prominent streamer & the entire Destiny subreddit are currently at war

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Datto has been kind of at war with everyone lately

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It is the children who are disagreeable

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, I just shut the game off, maybe for the rest of the week. It's so buggy I just can't give a drat, mods straight up not working again, enemies rubberbanding everywhere, the resil bug lol. Time to go back to monhun and warframe.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Shackling everything with a Threadweaver build and then mowing everything down with a Wavesplitter makes for lots of booms.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People are saying 'Destiny runs like poo poo lately' but they're using the words wrong, and they often don't have CS backgrounds, which is causing a lot of upset in the community

I wonder if the TWAB will make any mention of this, since a prominent streamer & the entire Destiny subreddit are currently at war

Datto’s main complaint is that the Destiny fanbase doesn’t have the vocabulary to express their frustrations which is like yeah, no duh, they don’t make video games for a living. I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people who advocate for an engine change for Destiny are aware it won’t happen until at least after The Final Shape.

He also seems to ignore that Bungie themselves blame their own engine for their development woes.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Pirate Jet posted:

Datto’s main complaint is that the Destiny fanbase doesn’t have the vocabulary to express their frustrations which is like yeah, no duh, they don’t make video games for a living. I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people who advocate for an engine change for Destiny are aware it won’t happen until at least after The Final Shape.

He also seems to ignore that Bungie themselves blame their own engine for their development woes.

I’d be inclined to believe the bolded is happening at all if they hadn’t announced that their next IP is going to use the same engine.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

If anything they'll just retool this piece of poo poo again and call it the liger engine. Now it only takes 12 hours to move a bush!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Developed for its skills in space magic

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PathAsc posted:

If anything they'll just retool this piece of poo poo again and call it the liger engine. Now it only takes 12 hours to move a bush!

and they'll have to delete 90% of the game content to achieve said improvement, totally worth it.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I know enough to know why Destiny will never just get a new engine but come on the state of the game is noticeably bad and Bungie explains how their tools are the problem all the time. A couple of days ago someone from Bungie help posted on Reddit about how the holoprojectors can’t just access any recording. The recordings are connected to specific locations and having all of them at any projector would “cause problems”.

I’m not a mechanic but I can tell when my car is hosed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people who advocate for an engine change for Destiny are aware it won’t happen until at least after The Final Shape.

I am not so sure.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sunday at work posted:

I know enough to know why Destiny will never just get a new engine but come on the state of the game is noticeably bad and Bungie explains how their tools are the problem all the time. A couple of days ago someone from Bungie help posted on Reddit about how the holoprojectors can’t just access any recording. The recordings are connected to specific locations and having all of them at any projector would “cause problems”.

this makes complete sense given that the holoprojectors are just NPCs of another type and that the animations/dialogue are loaded into specific locations for specific purposes because they're weighty files and keeping them on hand at all times would make the game run even worse

the real root of the problem is that holoprojectors are being used as replacements for the NPCs that use them instead of having the NPCs show up to talk and then leave when the time for talking is over, which makes people ask questions like "why can't holoprojectors everywhere be used for all holoprojector poo poo"

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

The vast majority of armchair developers think all Bungie needs to do to solve all problems is download a copy of UE5 and maybe put in a long weekend. And that the game play Destiny is known for would port over unchanged. Which is so very wrong yeah it’s hard to know where to start explaining how wrong it all is.

None of that changes the fact that my audio is still broken and Bungie themselves regularly pin the game’s issues on their own tools.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sunday at work posted:

I mean, the holoprojector thing sounds mostly like an asset loading/streaming thing. Some of that stuff is probably loaded in the background so it happens relatively seamless for the player, but to reduce bloat, they stick some of that poo poo in the farm instance rather then the helm instance.

Literally every game ever has these sorts of weird quirks and limitations. WoW's quests infamously could only track 2 things: Kills, and items that go in your bags. So a ton of more complex stuff ran off of invisible NPCs (usually coded as bunnies) so walking to a way point would cause the invisible NPC to die and give you progress like "Investigate <location>. 1/1"

It's not to say there's isn't performance issues or server problems that need some real addressing, but I think a lot of people really oversimplify when they suggest poo poo like we need Destiny 3, or bungie should use UE5.

Kith posted:

the real root of the problem is that holoprojectors are being used as replacements for the NPCs that use them instead of having the NPCs show up to talk and then leave when the time for talking is over, which makes people ask questions like "why can't holoprojectors everywhere be used for all holoprojector poo poo"

The reddit post I saw addressed this as well, and it just comes down to holoprojector being torso-up only, so it's an easier performance to animate.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 27, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also holoprojectors makes a lot of NPCs look like absolute dogshit because the glaze shows their model seams plain as day. saladin gets it REAL loving bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Or at least do a better job of structuring the quests so you don't have these situations where you have to fly from zone A to zone B to take a call from a guy who was standing in zone A to begin with

I think my favorite thing about this season is how the shadow legion orbital prison ship is just named "Orbital Prison Ship". The portentous evocative names add a lot to the vibe but they couldn't be arsed to spend fifteen seconds coming up with one. Or they could have tied it into the recurring bit about how the Shadow Legion are mindless automatons, but unless I missed a battleground dialog variant they didn't do that either

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don’t need to know poo poo about coding and making games to know this game has been held together with duct tape for years and it’s clearly falling apart the longer it’s gone with no sign of it getting better in any way shape or form. Bungie’s real strength is somehow managing to keep things running as “smoothly” as it has for these past years.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Kith posted:

this makes complete sense given that the holoprojectors are just NPCs of another type and that the animations/dialogue are loaded into specific locations for specific purposes because they're weighty files and keeping them on hand at all times would make the game run even worse

Maybe not the best example but they did address using the projectors over NPCs. A holoprojector performance is less expensive to develop than a full character performance.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

I think my favorite thing about this season is how the shadow legion orbital prison ship is just named "Orbital Prison Ship". The portentous evocative names add a lot to the vibe but they couldn't be arsed to spend fifteen seconds coming up with one. Or they could have tied it into the recurring bit about how the Shadow Legion are mindless automatons, but unless I missed a battleground dialog variant they didn't do that either

They did talk about that a lot, actually. Devrim in particular is like "these guys are basically just loving robots and most of them appear to not even have names"

Oxyclean posted:

The reddit post I saw addressed this as well, and it just comes down to holoprojector being torso-up only, so it's an easier performance to animate.

sunday at work posted:

Maybe not the best example but they did address using the projectors over NPCs. A holoprojector performance is less expensive to develop than a full character performance.

Fair enough, but also like... the audio log conversations work for that too. Just... ugh. There are so many ways this could be solved with minimal work and Bungie is using none of them

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would 100% take dialogue only in orbit over bouncing from 2-3 locations every week

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
:siren: emblem alert!!

https://twitter.com/destinybulletn/status/1651647800265019393?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kith posted:

They did talk about that a lot, actually. Devrim in particular is like "these guys are basically just loving robots and most of them appear to not even have names"

If that really was the intent then, well, good, but it also looks so much like laziness that it could have been lampshaded a bit more

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t need to know poo poo about coding and making games to know this game has been held together with duct tape for years and it’s clearly falling apart the longer it’s gone with no sign of it getting better in any way shape or form. Bungie’s real strength is somehow managing to keep things running as “smoothly” as it has for these past years.

The state of the game today was basically locked in years and years back when they first broke from Activision, having decided they would not do the transition to a new numbered box title but just keep the existing game running.

I think even if we did live in a magical space fantasy universe where a full engine overhaul and "Destiny 3" could actually happen and would fix all our problems, Bungie still wouldn't do it because they have other IPs under development and Destiny 2 is in year 6. For the record, I believe them when they say that D2 will continue past Final Shape, but I also know pretty well that MMOs can coast in maintenance mode for a long time and still generate profit for the developer. That is going to be the end state of D2, whether that happens in a year or 3 years or whatever. The development resources for a new engine would so obviously be better spent on newer, flashier titles that I doubt anyone over there seriously considers otherwise.

I'm certain there are plenty of players who will be like "this is too unstable I'm quitting" over the years but not enough of them to matter to the bottom line. Bungie's got 9 years of statistical data of exactly how poo poo you can treat the playerbase and retain a healthy population, and in my heart of hearts I know if they just keep making spot welds to cracks as they appear people are going to be perfectly happy playing a buggy game, complaining on DTG, and giving them money anyway, forever.

I know I will be! It's important to know yourself.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Can't wait to see what fun bugs end up getting the Guardian Games shut down.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

People will dial in on the fastest way to earn thing then abuse it until it gets disabled. I think last year it was repeatedly killing yourself and getting rezzed?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Due to a bug synthoceps now affects all enemies zone wide simultaneously, therefore titans will be disabled for 4 weeks while this is longform hotfixed.

Don't worry titan players, we've got you covered. Your main characters have all been temporarily converted to warlocks.

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
So are they not doing any kind of goofy rear end weighting/score manipulation with GG this year? Just whatever class has the most medallions wins?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aqua Dracula posted:

So are they not doing any kind of goofy rear end weighting/score manipulation with GG this year? Just whatever class has the most medallions wins?

Absent a specific announcement, it's probably going to use the same goofy rear end system as last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aqua Dracula posted:

Hunters are winning print the shirts.