Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Finding the Turn Based system a pain might be because of my lack of 5 star characters though.

Running the default MC, Den Heng, March and Asta. It’s very slow to kill anything, but I’ve cleared all the content on the space station, and the simulated universe to the point where it won’t let me back in.

I’ve not been close to dying, but literally the fights take all day. I’ve been trying to save my exp items for the first 5 star I get, which means my team are all level 8. On 40 pulls of the gacha I’ve only had one character so far which is Herta, which I read is terrible. I’m trailblazer rank 12, I kinda expected I’d have had someone new to put in my party by now!

Is it worth me continuing? Or is this the speed of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
You don't need to save your exp items, especially this early. Level your characters to the current cap and also their weapons (prioritize your damage dealers).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ludo Friend posted:

I’ve not been close to dying, but literally the fights take all day. I’ve been trying to save my exp items for the first 5 star I get, which means my team are all level 8.
This is a bad idea. five stars aren't inherently better than 4 stars in this game and the base roster you get (trailblazer, dan heng, march) are all extremely good and you will probably wind up still using at least two of them no matter what characters you get. Leveling characters up this early also barely uses any materials, once you hit endgame you will get this much EXP material easily.

Level up your characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like to be clear, the EXP farm node give you more and more EXP books as you hit certain breakpoints on your account level. The amount of EXP you have right now is a pittance in the grand scheme of things, its not worth trying to 'conserve' it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Surprised you didn't need to heal. I can only shield one person at a time with March, and the boss does strong AoE attacks. I was fine because I had Natasha, but I'm pretty sure I would have lost if I didn't.

I had "everyone gets shields at the start of the fight", "everyone gets shields after their turn" and I think people also got shields if they broke an enemy and perhaps other things too

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ludo Friend posted:

Finding the Turn Based system a pain might be because of my lack of 5 star characters though.

Running the default MC, Den Heng, March and Asta. It’s very slow to kill anything, but I’ve cleared all the content on the space station, and the simulated universe to the point where it won’t let me back in.

I’ve not been close to dying, but literally the fights take all day. I’ve been trying to save my exp items for the first 5 star I get, which means my team are all level 8. On 40 pulls of the gacha I’ve only had one character so far which is Herta, which I read is terrible. I’m trailblazer rank 12, I kinda expected I’d have had someone new to put in my party by now!

Is it worth me continuing? Or is this the speed of the game?

You’ll have more than enough exp books and are about to unlock the way to farm them, please use some. Fights are taking forever because you’re super low level, not because you have no five stars, using exp books is how you’re expected to level because exp from actual combat is trivial.

This also applies to your light cones, you get a ton of stats from leveling those. The worst thing that happens is you have to spend stamina to farm up more exp!

E: Also, you can’t do it quite yet but it pays to level up and ascend even people you don’t plan to use the first time because it’s both super cheap to do so in the long run and you get a draw ticket for every character you do it on!

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 28, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

I had "everyone gets shields at the start of the fight", "everyone gets shields after their turn" and I think people also got shields if they broke an enemy and perhaps other things too

Yeah I've done world 1 with March as my only shielder and no healers, first time was stacking a lot of freeze proc buffs so that the bosses were just permafrozen, and second time was going all in on shields and shield buffs.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

1stGear posted:

So I just pulled Seele. That means I won and can stop playing, right.

Hello fellow clueless gacha Star Railer who just pulled a Seele.

I think Seele is the one everybody wants? She def has a big scythe

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 28, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Seele is apparently ridiculous and will be spot-welded into my party if I don’t lose the coinflip.

Which means I’m going to get like Welt or something but so it goes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Seele and Bronya, sitting in a tree, murdering everything. And kissing.

Bringing Seele to the final fight on the first world felt like cheating.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the protagonist is actually explicitly characterized as a guy/girl who isn't exactly the typical "kind and helpful to a fault" RPG protagonist. There are many situations where your only dialogue options are variations on "gently caress you, I better be getting something good out of this."

It's good and gives the protagonist a lot more personality than in most games like this. I think it's partly due to a good localization as well.

One thing that stands out to me is that while the MC is obviously special (because they have a magical world cancer sealed in their soul), there are hints that everyone aboard the train is also special, in their own different ways. So the world isn't revolving around you, you are just one member of a team of overpowered weirdos. They treat you as the new guy, not the chosen one. Not even a leader.

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah I've done world 1 with March as my only shielder and no healers, first time was stacking a lot of freeze proc buffs so that the bosses were just permafrozen, and second time was going all in on shields and shield buffs.

I did World 2 without any healing too. March ftw.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 28, 2023

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Got Yanqing as my first 5*. How does he hold up? Just got to Belobog and running a team of MC/March/Serval/Natasha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yanqing is a solid single target DPS, though his gimmick requires him to be at full HP, so he really needs a shielder. If you wanna use him, something like Yanqing/Serval/March/Natasha would be good.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Why is Clara barefoot?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Her robot family doesn't understand shoes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Infinitum posted:

Hello fellow clueless gacha Star Railer who just pulled a Seele.

I think Seele is the one everybody wants? She def has a big scythe

To put this in perspective, I just did a level 24 fight in on the second planet. Seele was level 20 ascended with a level 20 light cone and some relics, nothing special or optimized. On the second wave of the fight, I opened by using her Skill on an enemy with a Quantum weakness. It died which gave her another turn and also filled her Ultimate. I used her Ultimate, which queues it up for after her turn. I used the first extra turn to use her Skill again and kill another enemy. Then I used her Ultimate to kill another enemy which gave me another extra turn which I used to kill the last enemy.

Nobody else in that wave, enemy or friendly, got a turn. This is with a completely unoptimized character being played a dipshit who's bad at turn-based games.

vvv oh my god i have to try this now

1stGear fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 28, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Seele and Herta make a funny combo because apparently killing something from full HP also counts as getting them below 50% HP, so Herta follows up every attack with a spin, making it easier to kill the next enemy and so on.

Edit: I should note that auto-battle is also pretty smart about choosing targets for this, which is nice.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the auto batle loves to blow Gepard's shield at the end of a battle instead of saving it for the next :argh:

e: at least you can use his Technique to get a shield at the start of combat

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
gently caress I want a Seele so bad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do I use my extra “star rail passes” on the standard banner with the 300 pull pity thing? Or do I save it for something else.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I got Gepard for my newbie 5-star, which sucks, because gently caress you March isn't going anywhere :mad:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

theblackw0lf posted:

What’s a good light cone/relic set for Clara? I’ve currently got her on the one that gives her increased crit when her health drops below 80 percent, which seems like a good fit for her. Not sure about relics though. The one I’m using boosts her defense.

For Seele I’ve got river flows though spring for light cone and the musketeer set for relic, to boost her speed even higher. But not sure there’s one that would work better.

And yea I got both of those in 50 pulls. I seriously lucked out.
There's a set that gives 10% physical damage plus up to 5 x 5% Attack (stacks when attacking or being hit), but honestly for now probably prioritize the main stats since that's what grows for sure when leveled. Pretty sure it's in the snow planet shop.

Bussamove posted:

While I know I probably shouldn’t put all my efforts into building a team entirely around this Clara I just pulled, I’m also picturing Gepard and Natasha keeping her alive while Asta pumps out ATK boosts and by god that seems like a good time.

I like using March with Clara since you can pop a shield specifically on Clara to get the increased chance of her being targeted while your ult isn't online.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 28, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do I use my extra “star rail passes” on the standard banner with the 300 pull pity thing? Or do I save it for something else.

The Standard Banner tickets don't go into anything else, afaik.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Can I just say after far too many franchises that do the "we cannot interfere with the locals" policy, it's refreshing to have a story where the characters basically go "what up, we're from space".

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Seele is hilarious in the roguelike with some of the blessings, she can just delete entire waves by herself without any enemies attacking.

Anyone know if the shields/hertareum shops restock or change? I've bought the eidolons and relics so just wondering if I can blow any excess on exp scrolls or whatever now

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there a guide yet for which cards are best for which characters?

I’m also pleading for hoyo to give me characters and not so many cards

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

acumen posted:

Seele is hilarious in the roguelike with some of the blessings, she can just delete entire waves by herself without any enemies attacking.

Anyone know if the shields/hertareum shops restock or change? I've bought the eidolons and relics so just wondering if I can blow any excess on exp scrolls or whatever now

I assume it's like the region-specific vendors in genshin where the supply of currency is limited and thus so is the inventory

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Got a Shushang with Bronya and Shushang seems like a very good 4* consolation prize for not getting Seele. She cycles very quickly when spamming skill - ult - skill and does a lot of damage! Her first eidolon refunds skill points so that seems extremely good too

She also has a giant chicken

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

UHD posted:

I assume it's like the region-specific vendors in genshin where the supply of currency is limited and thus so is the inventory

Yeah, I believe you only get them from treasure boxes and quests, both of which there are a finite amount of in each region.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Excellent, time to blow some currency then

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Wait, does that mean I may have hosed myself out of an eidolon shard for physMC if I ended up spending my space station dosh on other things already?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sushibandit posted:

Wait, does that mean I may have hosed myself out of an eidolon shard for physMC if I ended up spending my space station dosh on other things already?

I'm pretty certain you can acquire enough of the regional currency to empty the shop.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Exactly that, you can't permanently screw yourself over.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My first Qingque stumbling block: Once you start getting relics, you really have to micromanage her speed so that she's going as close to last as possible (both so she has more time to draw tiles and more time for everyone else to stock points for her).

Until I changed out her set, she was outspeeding March, which meant that when I wasn't paying attention I wasn't getting shields for the turn.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Game of Throne and a Fight Club reference within a minute of eachother.

This owns.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

thank god that sequence was over in 3 minutes

I had the very real fear that hidden treasures were going to be a thing you needed to look for regularly

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Ended up getting Welt with my pity last roll on the beginner banner, is he seen as any good? My first nihilist and source of imaginary damage. Not that it matters since it took way to long to get here to bother rerolling.

Also, is there any reason not to spend your basic warps as you get them on the standard banner? I would assume I should just spend them since the banner never changes and they have no other use?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spend standard tickets whenever you want to, no real reason to hoard them. that said, the standard pool will update with new 4*s as they release, at least if they follow Genshin. And Genshin added a decent number of 4*s.

Welt is very good, since he's the only imaginary damage dealer in the game rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

"We need to ask Svarog about important plot details!"

"Yeah I can call him up he shows up whenever I do an attack."

Sometimes the ludonarrative dissonance in gachas gets pretty funny depending on how the gacha blesses you.