Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Medenmath posted:

I love that Watterson bothered to make the tiny text actually say something.

I like how this strip is the rare case of Hobbes being a stuffed animal within Calvin's imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/12-14/41

Or you'll be fired? Women, who famously were not allowed to take on like literally every job during World War 2?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Green Intern posted:

Or you'll be fired? Women, who famously were not allowed to take on like literally every job during World War 2?
that comic predates the us entering world war ii

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pat's jawline is reminding me of Stardust the super wizard.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Bracing myself for how 40s sensibilities torpedo Pat -- my new favorite Scarlet O'Neil character -- but I love the character design.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kennel posted:

Apparently the Intelligent Life author thinks that Dethany (from on the Fastrack) is a witch.

And also likes animal parts in her veggie burgers.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Popeye isn't known to be eating exclusively spinach, is he?

https://people.howstuffworks.com/is-eye-of-newt-real-thing.htm

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The last time I was here, there was a sense of excitement over Jules taking over Mark Trail because the last guy was a terrible climate-denying rear end in a top hat, and having a younger writer take over might mean they'll be able to modernize Mark Trail. It's a shame to hear that's not the case and she squandered any storytelling potential. :(

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Took me forever to find the K2.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

Took me forever to find the K2.

Hold on a minute here, doesn't rochambeau have something to do with trading nutshots?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

amigolupus posted:

The last time I was here, there was a sense of excitement over Jules taking over Mark Trail because the last guy was a terrible climate-denying rear end in a top hat, and having a younger writer take over might mean they'll be able to modernize Mark Trail. It's a shame to hear that's not the case and she squandered any storytelling potential. :(

Jules has been pushing plotlines about crypto being a scam, climate change, etc., but she's been doing it in a really slapdash and poorly explained way. She was pretty clear that she wanted to make James Allen fans mad rather than actually educate people through the strip.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has there been a legacy strip relaunched with a younger artist that we haven't soured on. New Nancy and New Popeye are ok, but I wouldn't say the thread-census would put it stronger than that.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Crankshaft gets shuffled to the top of the pile because what the hell, dude?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (May 29, 1935)

Peanuts, in which Woodstock is a polyglot. (April 30, 1976)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 28-29, 1939 (e: because whoops, they missed one))

Out Our Way, in which I think I found another favorite. (September 1-3, 1941)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 28, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Has there been a legacy strip relaunched with a younger artist that we haven't soured on. New Nancy and New Popeye are ok, but I wouldn't say the thread-census would put it stronger than that.

Sally Forth. It's got its foibles, but at least it's interesting.

Ambien abuse is no laughing matter.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/12-14/41

Did I miss the end of the storyline about the hapless handsome widower boxer with a cute baby?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way, in which I think I found another favorite. (September 1-3, 1941)
As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a cloth donkey.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Safety Dance posted:

Did I miss the end of the storyline about the hapless handsome widower boxer with a cute baby?

That's a Sunday strip, different storyline than the dailies.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft gets shuffled to the top of the pile because what the hell, dude?

I have no words.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Heart of the City is good. It's not for everybody but it nails what it does and is likeable enough, especially if you're a pre-teen, presumably.

Popeye is good enough but I think at this point Randy has made it clear he's not interested in the actual madcap antics of Thimble Theatre, which fair enough he's writing what he knows, still a bit of a let down. I feel like a Popeye strip shouldn't be so shy about showing "in camera" punches and so on. The 1:1 Something Positive dialogue heavy strips do get an eye roll every few weeks.

New Nancy is fine at what it does but I've ranted before that it's the same three jokes repeated more shamelessly than the worst of Garfield, Dilbert, etc.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

This feels really weird, like the author is just sidestepping that Grandma is an incredibly abrasive jerk(I can't recall her not greeting somebody with backhanded insults at best for like 2 years) and is solving the problem for Sally by naturally wanting the most convenient solution for everybody while also not confronting any of the major issues like how Sally can't even approach her. Maybe it's just me.

Safety Dance posted:

Sunday storylines are separate. We'll get back to that guy takin' the champ, haw haw!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Jules has been pushing plotlines about crypto being a scam, climate change, etc., but she's been doing it in a really slapdash and poorly explained way. She was pretty clear that she wanted to make James Allen fans mad rather than actually educate people through the strip.

Plus the crowd of boomer fans angry about Allen's firing and Jules's changes to the strip has led to her waving off any criticism as the product of bitter old farts.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like Heart of the City. I think Steenz has done a good job expanding the cast and giving some of the side characters more of a personality than they had under Tatulli.

I'm not sure Sally Forth really qualifies, since Ces has been writing it for eight years longer than Greg Howard, the original creator, did. But if so, then Heathcliff probably qualifies too.

I'm not crazy about new Popeye or Nancy but they're not actively offensive or anything.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The new Gil Thorp writer (and artist?) has generally not done a worse job than whoever his predecessor was, I think, but Gil Thorp is by its very nature a bit of a dud.

Heart has actually grown on me a bit now, I used to be pretty harsh on it because it didn't have any narrative tension but it's improved somewhat, I think, plus it does good kid-friendly storyarcs on stuff like menstruation and first crushes which in this day and age has got to be worth something putting it on the comics page.

Generally one huge problem is that long time legacy strips tend to come from drama or adventure genres but no one seems to be able to nail the tone of drama and adventure anymore, the hip young creators they hire are all in the business of lampshading, quips and wry metacommentary and filter everything through a lens of Doing Things Online.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it feels funny citing randy as a younger artist, though i guess by the standards of the newspaper comics industry late 40s is bright and fresh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

uh uh uh uh, no. thats not how it happened

jackie offered for you to move in and you went and sold your house without telling anyone

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean their mom appears to read a lot of extra (ill) intent into things so

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Comic Strips 2023: you can wordify anything if you just verb it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

Comic Strips 2023: you can wordify anything if you just verb it

Verbing weirds language tho

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Endless Mike posted:

Verbing weirds language tho

:buddy:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Puppet Master

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Guess The Sheep Guy Needed Deep Lore

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I also hate it when my best friends experience any happiness.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I hate this comic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/14-16/50

Jerry on the Job was an older comic strip; here Kelly seems to be mixing it up with "Johnny on the spot," an old phrase for someone who's alert and reliable.

Archie 3/24-26/47

You're all imagining the ICP hatchetman in place of Jughead's silhouette, right?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 28, 2023

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Heathcliff.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

I hate this comic.

This is the new Oh Baby!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ah, this strip makes it clear. Mark Trail isn't written for 6-7 year olds, it's written by one. :v: Or you know, Jules has completely given up on any planning at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 26, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 7-8, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Dunce