Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I drove a Tandy, myself

i guess you could call my car a Trash-80

it was trash, and there was about an 80% chance the fuel pump injector would cut out while going 110km/h on the highway and i'd have about 5 seconds to sort my poo poo out or i'd die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nancy posted:

Some jumping spiders wear water droplets on their heads in case they get thirsty.

Video games always put the creepy spiders in & they should put the cute ones in instead.

There's always Webbed, where the protagonist is kind of cute.

But still, spiders in games are usually bad stuff. :ohdear:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Rappaport posted:

There's always Webbed, where the protagonist is kind of cute.

But still, spiders in games are usually bad stuff. :ohdear:

I had no idea this game existed, thank you very much!!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Nancy posted:

I had no idea this game existed, thank you very much!!

Webbed is wonderful, absolutely go get it. Best spider game probably.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A few mentions of huntsmen in here, non Aussies might not understand the terms of discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt6WhDGPqjE

Orv
May 4, 2011
No, thank you.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's especially great when you see the silhouette of one on your tent at night, and you have to try to figure out if it's inside or outside :ohdear:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-2gUSus34

The "Survivor" part is referring to you trying to survive those framerates.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 28, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

by getting rid of the horrible poncho they destroyed his entire character

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I love video game spiders. They’re never the main villain, they don’t have big sinister plots, they’re just hardworking chaff enemies with the occasional big level boss. They don’t put on airs or look down on anyone, they’re just here to chitter about on some big webs and flail at you with simple movesets.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Spider: The Video Game ruled

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mzbundifund posted:

I love video game spiders. They’re never the main villain, they don’t have big sinister plots, they’re just hardworking chaff enemies with the occasional big level boss. They don’t put on airs or look down on anyone, they’re just here to chitter about on some big webs and flail at you with simple movesets.

It's all fun and games until one of them starts shooting a laser beam:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Each individual spider eats somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 to 2,000 insects per year. My wife and kids are all afraid of them, but I’ve at least gotten them to stop killing them and instead let me take them outside (When I spot one inside I just leave it alone, especially in the summer when there are mosquitos).

They do make good video game enemies tho

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Pirate Captain posted:

Each individual spider eats somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 to 2,000 insects per year. My wife and kids are all afraid of them, but I’ve at least gotten them to stop killing them and instead let me take them outside (When I spot one inside I just leave it alone, especially in the summer when there are mosquitos).

factoid actually just a statistical error

Insects Spidr who lives in a cave & eats over 10,000 insects a day is an outlier and should not have been counted

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mzbundifund posted:

Gotta respect hard-working jobbers

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

kazil posted:

factoid actually just a statistical error

Insects Spidr who lives in a cave & eats over 10,000 insects a day is an outlier and should not have been counted

That’s why I gave a range, the 1k is the generally accepted lower estimate.

Another fun statistic is that spiders eat roughly 5-10% of their body weight in insects each day.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What about spiders... with lightsabers?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The Pirate Captain posted:

One time I wanted to kill a spider that was crawling on my kitchen wall. I took out a hammer and was getting ready to smash it, but then I noticed it started running away from me. At that point I got over my fear of spiders, grabbed a handkerchief, let it climb on and took the spider outside, setting it gently by my neighbour's door.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FishMcCool posted:

It's all fun and games until one of them starts shooting a laser beam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEBAjqjfQQU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blattdorf posted:

One time I wanted to kill a spider that was crawling on my kitchen wall. I took out a hammer and was getting ready to smash it, but then I noticed it started running away from me. At that point I got over my fear of spiders, grabbed a handkerchief, let it climb on and took the spider outside, setting it gently by my neighbour's door.

Yeah, when you go pick up a large spider and it skitters away and hides and tries to make itself the smallest thing in the universe in the hopes that you won't kill it, gently caress, who's even the real monster.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, when you go pick up a large spider and it skitters away and hides and tries to make itself the smallest thing in the universe in the hopes that you won't kill it, gently caress, who's even the real monster.

it's a tactic! they're manipulating you! the only good spider is a dead spider

mystes
May 31, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

If you have a spider in your kitchen you have insects for it to eat so if you want the spider to go away you would be better off focusing on preventing the insects from getting in

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
This is reminding me about Story from North America (warning spiders) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

All I'm saying is consider / something besides your / thirst for blood

haldolium posted:

Webbed is wonderful, absolutely go get it. Best spider game probably.

Loving it so far, haven't gotten too far but the movement feels great and I'm having fun zipping around the ant colony.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

mystes posted:

If you have a spider in your kitchen you have insects for it to eat so if you want the spider to go away you would be better off focusing on preventing the insects from getting in

I'll eat my own kitchen insects thank you very much #NoFreeloaders

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard you shouldn't toss out house spiders since they adapted to living in the house and won't survive being outside. I'd put them in the garage and have them duke it out with the other spiders since they are cannibals.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard you shouldn't toss out house spiders since they adapted to living in the house and won't survive being outside. I'd put them in the garage and have them duke it out with the other spiders since they are cannibals.

Who did you hear this from, a spider? You've been played for a fool. Absolutely just strung along

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let the spiders spide

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mystes posted:

not all insects are creatures from the deepest pits of hell

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Who did you hear this from, a spider? You've been played for a fool. Absolutely just strung along

if youre cold, theyre cold

let them in

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I hear you all like spiders! You should read this really great science fiction novel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Time_(novel) (it is extremely good whether or not you like spiders)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Spiders are cute and all but house centipedes are the real winners.

One fell on my shoulder as I was about to shower a little while ago, and I freaked out and instinctively brushed it into the tub. Luckily I was able to grab it and put it somewhere to dry off and much to my surprise it ended up none the worse for wear and went scuttling off on its many, spindly legs.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 28, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

OzFactor posted:

I hear you all like spiders! You should read this really great science fiction novel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Time_(novel) (it is extremely good whether or not you like spiders)

This book taught me that jumping spiders experience some form of object permanence, seconding the recommendation.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Children of Time is good and cool, but needed fewer human chapters.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I will third, that is a great book.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Going well. It's a shame because the game is actually really fun and a step up from the previous game by quite a bit.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1651990800862183426

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wiltsghost posted:

Going well. It's a shame because the game is actually really fun and a step up from the previous game by quite a bit.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1651990800862183426

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

It's not even day 1 patches anymore, it's now just day 1 apology tweets

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I didn't know how to express what I wanted to say but this is perfect so I'll just emptyquote it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there was a brief discussion earlier in the week about how to review a game when publishers promise there will be fixes after release. i feel like jedi survivor lays out pretty concretely that you should just review the product as is because publishers straight up lie