Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
I have a lot of old comics that I don't have room for inside but I don't want to get rid of, I'm going to have store them in the garage. They're just in cardboard boxes right now but I'd like to transfer them to something a little safer. Been looking around on amazon and the main options seem to be plastic bins or collapsible waterproof boxes. Anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Is it cool to post a link to Kickstarters here? My friends are making a new series that looks bonkers and I think a lot of you would dig it. It's kind of a scifi/comedy thing that reminds me of Alan Moore's Top Ten but paranormal rather than superheroes. The art and all the preview images and panels look insane.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2023

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Sorry for the double post but nobody replied so I'm just gonna go for it.

My buddies are getting really close on their Kickstarter for their comic book series. They have a whole universe fleshed out and ready to go so this should be the first little bit of a lot of stuff they have coming. The art direction is fantastic and they got some great artists to bring their vision to life. I'm really excited to read it. Check it out please https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opi/everyday-magus-comic-issue-number-1

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Just finished King, Gerad, and Shaner's Strange Adventures, really enjoyed the parts with Mister Terrific and would like to read more stuff with the character but it seems he's never had a solo book. Is there a run of JSA or something else where Mister Terrific is used to good effect?

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I killed this thread, I apologize. But I'm going to try again: are there any good non-Man Without Fear 90s Daredevil runs or miniseries? Trying to go all in on the character and it seems like the received wisdom is to skip from Nocenti's run to Bendis, but surely some good DD stories were written in the 90s, so what are they?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

I killed this thread, I apologize. But I'm going to try again: are there any good non-Man Without Fear 90s Daredevil runs or miniseries? Trying to go all in on the character and it seems like the received wisdom is to skip from Nocenti's run to Bendis, but surely some good DD stories were written in the 90s, so what are they?

I love Daredevil more than most, but the '90s were a rough decade. You should probably try "Guardian Devil," by Kevin Smith, Joe Quesada, and Jimmy Palmiotti, the first Marvel Knights storyline that ran from the new Daredevil #1-8 back in 1998. It was hugely popular and led to renewed interest in the character, but I personally don't care for it.

Before the Marvel Knights relaunch, I found '90s DD mostly unreadable, especially the era with garish Scott McDaniel artwork.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

Anything with similar vibes I could read next?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Have you read Spidey?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

Have you read Spidey?

If that's the name of a specific series, then no. I'll look into it.

It also doesn't have to be spiderman fwiw I just enjoyed the humor in it. I don't read a lot of Spiderman, I think the last run I read before now was ultimate Spider-Man

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

If that's the name of a specific series, then no. I'll look into it.

It also doesn't have to be spiderman fwiw I just enjoyed the humor in it. I don't read a lot of Spiderman, I think the last run I read before now was ultimate Spider-Man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spidey_(comic_book)

For other humurous superhero stuff Squirrel Girl is GOAT for me here. The entire run was great. Gwenpool was fun too. Howard The Duck too.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spidey_(comic_book)

For other humurous superhero stuff Squirrel Girl is GOAT for me here. The entire run was great. Gwenpool was fun too. Howard The Duck too.

Thanks!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Tom Taylor's Nightwing is one of the best street-level superhero series I've ever read, and unlike the other big street-level characters (Batman and Daredevil), is is cheerful and hopeful and fun and funny, not all neo-noir doom and gloom.*

Mark Waid's Daredevil run is like this too, especially after the unrelenting misery of Bendis, Brubaker, and Diggle's back to back runs.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man is hilarious, and so is Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. Both are drawn by the great Steve Lieber, who kills it with his expressive faces.

*But I have enjoyed everything I've read by Taylor so far. He takes these edgy, grim-dark premises like Injustice, DCeased, and Marvel's Dark Ages, and always finds a lot of humanity, hope, and humor in them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 14, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Tom Taylor's Nightwing is one of the best street-level superhero series I've ever read, and unlike the other big street-level characters (Batman and Daredevil), is is cheerful and hopeful and fun and funny, not all neo-noir doom and gloom.*

Mark Waid's Daredevil run is like this too, especially after the unrelenting misery of Bendis, Brubaker, and Diggle's back to back runs.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man is hilarious, and so is Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. Both are drawn by the great Steve Lieber, who kills it with his expressive faces.

*But I have enjoyed everything I've read by Taylor so far. He takes these edgy, grim-dark premises like Injustice, DCeased, and Marvel's Dark Ages, and always finds a lot of humanity, hope, and humor in them.

I have an aversion to Nightwing for personal reasons unrelated to comics, but I did enjoy DCeased (Though I preferred marvel zombies slightly) and injustice. I'll check out the others, thanks!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Rental Sting posted:

Just finished King, Gerad, and Shaner's Strange Adventures, really enjoyed the parts with Mister Terrific and would like to read more stuff with the character but it seems he's never had a solo book. Is there a run of JSA or something else where Mister Terrific is used to good effect?

The Terrifics was a fun read. Lighter in tone than Strange Adventures, but it's solid stories featuring Mr Terrific, Plastic Man, and Metamorpho. I do remember Mr Terrific being a badass any time he was in Geoff John's Justice Society of America series, but I can't remember any specific run.

Rental Sting posted:

Chichester and Weeks had some decent issues, but nothing too fantastic. I mostly read those issues for Week's art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That Scarlet Spider run where it's Kaine in Houston is funny and good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Earth 2: World's End uses a ton of characters, but one angle that stuck with me is Terrific's.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Thank you all for the recommendations!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
This has probably been asked before.

I wanna read current Daredevil, but I first wanna read the really good earlier stuff. There's a lot of Daredevil comics.
Which runs/collections should I try and find?
I've read the Miller run up to the part where Bullseye's back is broken, and I've read Born Again and the introduction of Echo. Other than that, my DD experience is limited.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Brubaker/Maleev run on DD is definitely worth seeking out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Mark Waid stuff is excellent and a huge departure from the other critically acclaimed stuff in that it is fairly lighthearted and less about breaking DD down to a depressing mess.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Suleman posted:

This has probably been asked before.

I wanna read current Daredevil, but I first wanna read the really good earlier stuff. There's a lot of Daredevil comics.
Which runs/collections should I try and find?
I've read the Miller run up to the part where Bullseye's back is broken, and I've read Born Again and the introduction of Echo. Other than that, my DD experience is limited.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Daredevil/comments/ky10wc/ann_nocentis_run_reading_guide/

I'm only about six issues in, but Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run has been getting more love, recently. Kicks off shortly after Miller's Born Again storyline concludes and has a notably more eccentric vibe compared to Miller's more street-level storylines while introducing the characters of Blackheart and Typhoid Mary. Chip Zdarsky is on record saying that Nocenti's Daredevil is the main inspiration for his current run on the title.

As I mentioned, I have only just started reading the Nocenti run, but reading all the great Daredevil comics is one of my reading goals this year, and these are the runs that have seemed to garner the most acclaim (chronologically):

Frank Miller
Nocenti
Brian Michael Bendis
Brubaker
Waid
Soule
Zdarksy

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 29, 2023

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Selachian posted:

The Brubaker/Maleev run on DD is definitely worth seeking out.

Madkal posted:

The Mark Waid stuff is excellent and a huge departure from the other critically acclaimed stuff in that it is fairly lighthearted and less about breaking DD down to a depressing mess.

Rental Sting posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Daredevil/comments/ky10wc/ann_nocentis_run_reading_guide/

I'm only about six issues in, but Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run has been getting more love, recently. Kicks off shortly after Miller's Born Again storyline concludes and has a notably more eccentric vibe compared to Miller's more street-level storylines while introducing the characters of Blackheart and Typhoid Mary. Chip Zdarsky is on record saying that Nocenti's Daredevil is the main inspiration for his current run on the title.

As I mentioned, I have only just started reading the Nocenti run, but reading all the great Daredevil comics is one of my reading goals this year, and these are the runs that have seemed to garner the most acclaim (chronologically):

Frank Miller
Nocenti
Brian Michael Bendis
Brubaker
Waid
Soule
Zdarksy

Thanks!
I got started with the Nocenti run. I'm impressed! The writing style feels unique and the Typhoid Mary storyline is really engaging. Especially considering how other writers of the time would have handled it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I thought I posted here once before a good while ago, but I just checked and nothing came up in my post history so... :shrug:

I just tore through The Department of Truth and loved it. I want more weird comics like that. Give me a bunch of philosophical pontificating about reality to read while I wait for the next issue because the person who recommended it to me forgot to mention it's still ongoing. Stuff I've already read:

Morrison's The Invisibles, Doom Patrol, The Filth, The Nameless, Animal Man, Arkham Asylum, Flex Mentallo... (I really like Morrison)
Moore's Watchmen, Promethia (good, could do without the weird sex but I also read Lost Girls out of morbid curiosity so :shrug:,) and Swamp Thing
Peter Milligan's run on Shade, The Changing Man, Rogan Gosh, and Enigma (Shade is probably a top 5 of all time for me)
Sandman (owns)
Prophet (2012)
ODY-C
Charles Burn's Black Hole and X'd Out
Zero by Ales Kot (I read a few other books of his but this was the only one to really grab me)
Mazebook by Lemire
Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron
The Incal
Hellblazer up to the new-52 Constantine reset
The Unwritten
Mind MGMT
Transmetropolitan

I don't have a problem I swear.

I came here to ask a similar question after finishing Incal- the recommendations rule, and so does the original post which I've pasted j to notes for a reading list

just excellent posting all around; 10/10, folks, pat your backs

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Peanut Butler posted:

I came here to ask a similar question after finishing Incal- the recommendations rule, and so does the original post which I've pasted j to notes for a reading list

just excellent posting all around; 10/10, folks, pat your backs

Honestly really glad you found my post useful. I'm always on the lookout for more stuff like the comics I posted about, one I read recently that I really enjoyed was In The Flood by Ray Fawkes. Kind goon GOD IS BED in this thread recommended me his One Soul which I really enjoyed so I ended up deep diving on his stuff. I'd call it.... quietly lynchian? Like there's a mystery but it's mainly a quiet sort of abstracted love story.

I dunno if you dove into the rest of the Jodoverse or if your read of the Incal stopped at the ending of the original story, but I ended up reading both Final Incal and Before The Incal and enjoying them both, though Before The Incal is definitely more gritty than the original.

Another one you might want to check out is Ostrander's run on The Spectre. After finishing it, I'd put it right up there with Milligan's Shade run, The Sandman, The Incal etc as an all-time favorite. The fact that this run is uncollected is criminal. Another really good Spectre run imo that doesn't seem to get much attention at all is J. M. DeMatteis take on the character. Also uncollected I think.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 2, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Suleman posted:

Thanks!
I got started with the Nocenti run. I'm impressed! The writing style feels unique and the Typhoid Mary storyline is really engaging. Especially considering how other writers of the time would have handled it.

These are all good runs, but I’m going to also suggest the early days of Daredevil. If you are up to some Stan Lee comics, I think Daredevil was one of the most consistent 60s books once John Romita gets on to the art. Stan gets weird with it and the art is top notch. Mike Murdoch, aliens, stilt man, it’s got it all.

After John and Stan leave the writing gets worse but you get that good Gene Colan art.

Daredevil might be the most consistently good character Marvel has. Rarely the best book but rarely bad.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

magic cactus posted:

Honestly really glad you found my post useful. I'm always on the lookout for more stuff

same! it's a really hard genre to define, really-

I adored The Incal, and Before Incal was okay, worth the time; I didn't like how it recontextualized Difool in a way that I don't think was necessary, and it was tonal whiplash, but I'd still recommend it to anyone after Incal- just, wait a while.

idk if anyone recommended it, but for far-future intricate worldbuilding with such a human touch that the weirdness doesn't hit you in the face, but rather creeps in along the edges: Finder by Carla Speed McNeil is rly good, and there's a ton of it.

traditionally issue-formatted webcomic Opplopolis (https://www.bohemiandrive.com/opplopolis) just completed, and I'm about to do a re-read/finishing read; it has some elements that remind me of this set of Weird Fiction, but feels a lot more Pynchon/Eco than Moore/Gaiman; very hungry for more like that, that isn't already on magic cactus' list

all in all I'm waiting on bureaucracy, so I'm diving back into comix for the first time in about a decade, and having a delightful time. Hooray, for comics,,

e: has the united states made it legal for women to write comics yet because goddamn i'd've thought that'd be a little more evened out by now

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Peanut Butler posted:

e: has the united states made it legal for women to write comics yet because goddamn i'd've thought that'd be a little more evened out by now

Two of the three best selling western comics authors are women

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

Two of the three best selling western comics authors are women

Who?

I mean, I think the poster you're quoting is being dismissive of a huge number of women writers in western comics, but I'm genuinely curious who those women are (and the dude who's number one or two, because if he was three you wouldn't have phrased it that way)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Who?

I mean, I think the poster you're quoting is being dismissive of a huge number of women writers in western comics, but I'm genuinely curious who those women are (and the dude who's number one or two, because if he was three you wouldn't have phrased it that way)

I'm assuming they're referring to Raina Telgemeier and Tui T. Sutherland who both sold around 850k books in 2022. The highest is Dav Pilkey (a man) who sold 3.6 million. If you've never heard of those names, it's because you don't have children.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

Who?

Endless Mike beat me to it. For greater context, Telgermeier made Teeth, an extremely popular semi-autobiographical comic for kids, and Sutherland is the author of the Wings of Fire series, a middle school series about dragons

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Full disclosure, Barry Deutsch adapted the Wings of Fire novels into graphic novels in terms of handling dialog and layouts.

Not taking away from Sutherland's story, just acknowledging the teamwork there.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Peanut Butler posted:

traditionally issue-formatted webcomic Opplopolis (https://www.bohemiandrive.com/opplopolis) just completed, and I'm about to do a re-read/finishing read; it has some elements that remind me of this set of Weird Fiction, but feels a lot more Pynchon/Eco than Moore/Gaiman; very hungry for more like that, that isn't already on magic cactus' list

this is awesome so far, thanks for the suggestion!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, I think the poster you're quoting is being dismissive of a huge number of women writers in western comics,

dismissive implies I know who they are and I'm intentionally slighting them through feigned ignorance; I don't! This is real ignorance!!

I'm just reading thru a bunch of comics I like, by recommendation and by trial at the library- moving through the medium naturally as a person might, and aside from Carla Speed McNeil, the writing credits on these books have been men. That's messed up! I should be able to casually peruse my way through a dozen titles, as I have this past month, and come across more than one woman writing (three drawing).

So- pardon me for being flippant in my disappointment, but no one ought to pretend like the comix industry isn't regressive when it comes to sexism in who gets to tell stories, and who doesn't. Some of my very favorite comic authors are bald white guys; I just want to read more people like me, spinning tales in the contemporary funny papers. It feels like an echo of 20th century Science Fiction, a genre where women weren't being printed in proportion of stories to tell until very recently

thetoughestbean posted:

Endless Mike beat me to it. For greater context, Telgermeier made Teeth, an extremely popular semi-autobiographical comic for kids, and Sutherland is the author of the Wings of Fire series, a middle school series about dragons

I am glad there are popular comics written by women! I do not think these are comics that would appeal to me, a middle-aged adult, so I do not see them come up when I'm asking or googling for recommendations-

I also do not think it is crazy for me to look at the state of the industry and say "huh sure seems like mostly men writing books in the corner of the US/UK/EU comicsphere that I enjoy", but I don't know! Maybe that is a crazy thing to think, but nothing I've seen has contradicted it. Like it's enough to make me wonder if there's a James Tiptree, Jr. out there hiding behind a stock image of a bald guy

so yeah- comics written by women that aren't for children?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

dismissive implies I know who they are and I'm intentionally slighting them through feigned ignorance; I don't! This is real ignorance!!

I'm just reading thru a bunch of comics I like, by recommendation and by trial at the library- moving through the medium naturally as a person might, and aside from Carla Speed McNeil, the writing credits on these books have been men. That's messed up! I should be able to casually peruse my way through a dozen titles, as I have this past month, and come across more than one woman writing (three drawing).

So- pardon me for being flippant in my disappointment, but no one ought to pretend like the comix industry isn't regressive when it comes to sexism in who gets to tell stories, and who doesn't. Some of my very favorite comic authors are bald white guys; I just want to read more people like me, spinning tales in the contemporary funny papers. It feels like an echo of 20th century Science Fiction, a genre where women weren't being printed in proportion of stories to tell until very recently

I am glad there are popular comics written by women! I do not think these are comics that would appeal to me, a middle-aged adult, so I do not see them come up when I'm asking or googling for recommendations-

I also do not think it is crazy for me to look at the state of the industry and say "huh sure seems like mostly men writing books in the corner of the US/UK/EU comicsphere that I enjoy", but I don't know! Maybe that is a crazy thing to think, but nothing I've seen has contradicted it. Like it's enough to make me wonder if there's a James Tiptree, Jr. out there hiding behind a stock image of a bald guy

I'm mostly familiar with the big two (DC and Marvel) but Gail Simone, G. Willow Wilson, Louise Simonson, Anne Nocenti all immediately spring to mind as excellent comic book writers who are writing comic books today (not the last two as much) and I've left out a lot of people.

Edit: for a "not for kids" comic that's also excellent and written by a woman, There's Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue Deonnick, I think the artists are also women and they have essays by women at the end of each issue.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 4, 2023

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I liked Skim and This One Summer by the Tamaki cousins.
Marjorie Liu is making more Monstress comics.
N.K. Jemisin wrote Far Sector fairly recently.
Erika Henderson isn't a writer, but her art has been gaining a lot of popularity lately (as it should, it's great).

(I'm not debating the premise that there should be more women in comics, just offering examples of a few that are currently making comics. There should be more women in comics.)

e:∆∆∆ all of the above mentioned ladies are great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, there should be more women working in comics, but to pretend they don't exist at all is loving insane. G. Willow Wilson created probably the second most popular new Super Hero of the last 20 years (Kamal Kahn's Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales' Spider-Man is the only one I'd consider more popular)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Peanut Butler posted:

Kelly Thompson, Jodie Houser, Stephanie Phillips, and Sophie Campbell are all contemporary, working writers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kate Beaton recently released her very good autobiographical comic, Ducks, too

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
I have a lot of childhood nostalgia for 90s era X-Men and the greater X-franchise. It's often said though that the X-franchise had a lot of problems in the 90s after Chris Claremont left. I checked out Age of Apocalypse a while ago and I still enjoyed it. So besides AoA are there any other storylines from 90s X-Men that still hold up today? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Need a gift for my cousin. He's an artist, so the art is important. B&W with flowing inks seems to be something he's especially into, but anything goes. Horror, abstract, violence are totally fine for him. Like, I think he enjoyed Red Room.

Totally fine with obscure indie or Marvel/Image. He liked East of West, I just lent him Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise. Sorry, can't name random indie things he's been into, but he's got a bunch. I'd prefer a series that can be read in a couple of TPBs, not a long ongoing.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2023