Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheFonz posted:

I think the issue is I went from 485hp to 425hp. I needed to go up so I could dodge vans.

I'll always remember the argument a friend of mine once made -

Collisions happen because 2 people tried to occupy the same space at the same time; therefore the faster you go, the less time you spend in any 1 spot and are therefore less likely to be collided with

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

TheFonz posted:

Post your own RIDE - loving LOL Nevermind.

Man that SUCKS. Looks like the car did the job though. Offset crashes used to be the stuff of nightmares and quadriplegics. Glad you are okay and weren't with the littles.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TheFonz posted:

I think the issue is I went from 485hp to 425hp. I needed to go up so I could dodge vans.

Should stuck with the dodge so you could dodge dodge vans. (That sucks tho)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Post your own RIDE - loving LOL Nevermind.

Thread title please. Bathe in my misery. Only took 6 months to find that guy. No Wooooooooooooooorries(lots of worries).

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Right after we moved to England, my mom crashed her new car pulling out of the dealership. Right turns aren’t nearly as safe there. 9 year old me was in the passenger seat and still remembers the crunch.

Poor teal-green K plate Vauxhall Astra CD… I also remember when our visa was up and my parents were trying to sell it, nobody wanted to buy a car like that with a massive 2.0l engine.

actually now I remember when my dad pulled over to see if the guy in a car pulling out of the dealership that got wrecked by the guy driving in front of him was ok.

it was a Ferrari dealership.

the guy had just taken delivery.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TheFonz posted:

Thread title please. Bathe in my misery. Only took 6 months to find that guy. No Wooooooooooooooorries(lots of worries).

Your wish is my command.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheFonz posted:

loving LOL Nevermind.

I was in the middle of an intersection at night turning left, as the light turned red. Didn't see a young guy in a van trying to beat the light. He told me he sped up to make it, but I honestly didn't see him until I was a foot into his lane, so I failed to make sure it was clear.
Back to searching. Just gotta wait for the check. Thankfully I don't owe anything on it so that should be simple. And very appreciative the kids were asleep at home and not out cruising with me.

JFC that sucks

Did the guy actually beat the light or did he run a red?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sockington posted:

I finally got my Subaru back together so I could put it up for sale and just focus on the Miata.

Sunlight through the deck made me think you had a really funky paint job going on there.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
He said it was still yellow and he sped up. I thought it went red, so he said, he said. My dashcam was on the floor, I didn't have a new mount to put it up yet since the old one stuck to the Charger windshield. Coming from Amazon tomorrow LOL.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

if his official statement is that it was yellow and he accelerated, that's 100% an admission of guilt where i live. yellow should give plenty of time to come to a safe stop, unless you're speeding (not a statement on reality, simply the way our courts see it)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It seems like if it was yellow then you're liable for failure to yield and if it was red then he's liable for running a red light but if you disagree on which one of those it was then it's probably gonna be a stalemate and each of your insurances will pay for your own cars?

One thing I will say is that in the crash I was in one of the tertiarily involved people gave a statement (with no reason to lie) that the light had just changed and they were just completely completely wrong (as borne out by my dash cam). The light didn't change for another 45 seconds. The turn light had changed but that wasn't the light in question. Everyone knows eye witness recollection is notoriously lovely but it's even bad about super simple things even when you don't have a vested interest in the truth being one way or the other, is the point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

One page away... that was a "Post your own RIDE" post for page 666.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It seems like red light running has gotten way worse since the pandemic at least thats my observation and ive seen a lot of people say the same thing, people just dont give a poo poo anymore. It's honestly becoming rare to be at an intersection and NOT see at least one person running a light thats been red for half a second or more.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I see that sentiment shared online a lot, and I'm inclined to agree based on my own local observations.

Speeding up to catch a yellow is one thing, but I've seen people just going along, yellow turns red while they're more than a car length from the intersection and just gun it anyways.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

TheFonz posted:

He said it was still yellow and he sped up. I thought it went red, so he said, he said. My dashcam was on the floor, I didn't have a new mount to put it up yet since the old one stuck to the Charger windshield. Coming from Amazon tomorrow LOL.

It's insane to me that 'hurr durr sped up because yellow' is in anyway defensible. It's literally a loving warning to slow down because the lights are about to change.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Austin driver's have always been bad and unpredictable, but following COVID, I see even more red light runners and other really dangerous driving.

Then you've got the Florida drivers who start shooting at each other....

There is nothing to enjoy about driving in this city and I wish we had functioning public transportation.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
In the spirit of people who run red lights ideally getting caught:

I was just out running an errand and driving through a school zone with some jackass riding my bumper because I'm doing 15-20 in a school zone. Get to a four way stop at the corner of the school, I'm going straight so I have to wait on a car that got there before me, to my left I see a cop sitting in wait. Jackass behind me is making a right so he zooms around me and doesn't even slow down enough to register there's a cop sitting there. Off goes the cop, off I go to the grocery store.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

School zone is like the one speed limit I actually pay attention to.
Dude actual went around you on the left to make the right?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

School zone is like the one speed limit I actually pay attention to.
Dude actual went around you on the left to make the right?

Ah no, I was going straight, bike lane to the right so they should have just waited their turn but they used that to get past me and go right

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MetaJew posted:

Austin driver's have always been bad and unpredictable, but following COVID, I see even more red light runners and other really dangerous driving.

Then you've got the Florida drivers who start shooting at each other....

There is nothing to enjoy about driving in this city and I wish we had functioning public transportation.

I did a road trip around Texas a couple of months back and bleary-eyed, jet-lagged me regretted my decision to hire out an F-150 because it was the biggest truck Hertz had available and it just seemed obscenely big when I was so tired from the 10 hour flight. It was probably at least 1.5x the size of my daily driver (which already borders on acceptable size on lovely UK roads) in length and width.

By the time I dropped it back at IAH I wish I'd been able to get an F-250 Super Duty, a RAM TRX or a goddamn jagdpanther for the amount of defensive driving I had to do because people merge blind and do insane poo poo at intersections.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sockington posted:

I finally got my Subaru back together so I could put it up for sale and just focus on the Miata.

How much does a swapped(?) fozzy of this gen run these days?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Even if the light turns red, everyone still has to obey the laws of right-of-way. Hopefully you didn't admit to the cops and the insurance companies what you posted here, and hopefully the insurance company doesn't see your posts.

Hopefully other guy DID admit to purposefully speeding up to running the yellow light; if, however, his insurance company finds this thread you're going to have an uphill battle. Never admit anything, never say anything more than the bare minimum. Getting hit when you're turning is an uphill battle anyway, don't go tell the world about it until the case is over.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
It is already stuff I told them - I have collision and a very clean record. They won't drop me over one accident - My rates will go up, but that's how the system is designed to work - We have the same insurance company, I don't see it being a protracted battle. I assume we'll see a split assignment of blame. I know about posting publicly, and assume they will find this. My wife was an insurance defense lawyer for 6 years. I posted no details I didn't state to insurance on recorded record.

He did admit to speeding up on the police report. And has an expired license.

I'm not going to make up details or paint a false narrative to put myself in a better light.
If I hosed up more than the other guy, then my insurance should be impacted more.

I agree, don't go posting after you tell the insurance company a totally different story, but I'm not one to make up poo poo for my own gain and then "HAHA GOTTEM" online post about it.

It's a hosed up situation.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
On the plus side you won't have to deal with BMW unreliability

polygon_monkey
Nov 28, 2000

I'm Quadro-spazzed
on a life-glug.
I posted this in the Porsche thread a few weeks back but forgot to post it here. My first Porsche, a 2013 Boxster S in Agate Grey with red extended leather interior and all the spicy options (chrono, pse, pasm, ptv etc):

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

polygon_monkey posted:

I posted this in the Porsche thread a few weeks back but forgot to post it here. My first Porsche, a 2013 Boxster S in Agate Grey with red extended leather interior and all the spicy options (chrono, pse, pasm, ptv etc):

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:hellyeah:

I'd love to one day own a Cayman/Boxster but I feel like by the time I get a house and build up savings for a Toy Car, anything worth picking up will be out of my budget

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

polygon_monkey posted:

Those look like magazine photos. I'm not an avid photographer or anything but I'm just curious if you have a great camera and that was on purpose, or if phones have become that good?

Also the car is gorgeous, that's a great color combo and I'm jealous. I've been really craving a red leather interior lately.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Sup red interior convertible budd... wait gently caress I sold mine today. :sigh:

polygon_monkey
Nov 28, 2000

I'm Quadro-spazzed
on a life-glug.

LloydDobler posted:

Those look like magazine photos. I'm not an avid photographer or anything but I'm just curious if you have a great camera and that was on purpose, or if phones have become that good

It was my Fuji X-T30 with a mix of the kit lens and prime 35 1.4. The Lake District helped.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

been a few weeks now since I said goodbye to my venerable, very much beloved, absolute moneysink of a pile of poo poo held together with zipties and hope, 2004 audi a4

replaced it with a 2019 skoda kodiaq, 2 litre TDI, 6 speed manual, 4x4

Spacious and luxurious in the front, loads of room for work stuff in the back

handles like a dream no matter what the road is like, comfy as all hell and can do 40mpg even if I flog the poo poo out of it- really loving love it

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That looks like a Lincoln and jeep had a baby to a yank like me. Pretty cool!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Yes sir

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Hardest Park. Love those cars in general, great color combo. Is that the GR?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Those wheels :discourse:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

phwoar

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I wish they weren’t selling close to £40 grand here because they pretty much only have one single allocation for europe and then no more are gonna be sold. Although it would be possible to get them in as a grey import maybe.

I think I’ll just buy a facelift GT86 for like half of that

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Hardest Park. Love those cars in general, great color combo. Is that the GR?

Oh no no no, you can't get a GR in the best blue, you have to get the BRZ.

Just rolled over 6666 miles yesterday during my drive