Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

"I'm confident a technological solution will be found" I nervously insist as I pinch another nugget off into the pile of faeces that now reaches my knees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the thing about the back half of these predictions/models (say beyond 2060) is that the absolute horror of the 40s and 50s will drive massive behavior/resource-usage change.

you can paint your hopes or fears into that, but at its core its a logistics constraint. crops will die. people will fight. BAU will not be going on in the 70s/80s/90s one way or the other. so its kinda pointless to talk about 3C or 5C at 2100. it gives the current situation too much credit for sustainability.

like, you don't have to believe the specific particulars of ministry for the future, but knowing what we know about how bad the 40s and 50s are going to be, I don't see how global oil tanker shipping, refineries, pipelines and lng ports survive. the needful will be done. even if far too late and just for vengance.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Don't be so pessimistic. Maybe a less connected world will just mean we burn even more carbon as resource rich countries fall back on drastically less efficient and advanced technologies while getting high on their own supply.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah, RCP8.5 is iirc still the best fitting for historical cumulative co2 and that's what i'd bet on unless stops being true. compare "RCP8.5 tracks cumulative CO2emissions" (https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.2007117117) with "Plausible 2005–2050 emissions scenarios project between 2 °C and 3 °C of warming by 2100" (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac4ebf/meta)

the latter's primary author, roger pielke jr, is an actually existing climate optimist/spoiler or whatever the gently caress he is. his dad, roger pielke sr, was also a dipshit. or they get paid well. i'm sure they've some up in the thread but they're always worth pointing out. also for fun checkhttps://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=WtqpmdIAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate to see how many letters pielke puts out about climate models/scenarios are too doomy.

for getting a sense of what 2100 or so could possibly look like, I like papers like "Temperature-dependent hypoxia explains biogeography and severity of end-Permian marine mass extinction". https://www.science.org/doi/abs/10.1126/science.aat1327 for the pretty good article summary or https://sci-hub.se/10.1126/science.aat1327 for the full paper. that's as good a look into the future as you can probably get without starting to make too many things up. it's also way more grim than the 'lol we all gonna die' so i absolutely understand if some of you want to pass.

quoting for new page.

Paradoxish posted:

Don't be so pessimistic. Maybe a less connected world will just mean we burn even more carbon as resource rich countries fall back on drastically less efficient and advanced technologies while getting high on their own supply.

now that's the spirit of radical uncertainty.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

MightyBigMinus posted:

the thing about the back half of these predictions/models (say beyond 2060) is that the absolute horror of the 40s and 50s will drive massive behavior/resource-usage change.

you can paint your hopes or fears into that, but at its core its a logistics constraint. crops will die. people will fight. BAU will not be going on in the 70s/80s/90s one way or the other. so its kinda pointless to talk about 3C or 5C at 2100. it gives the current situation too much credit for sustainability.

like, you don't have to believe the specific particulars of ministry for the future, but knowing what we know about how bad the 40s and 50s are going to be, I don't see how global oil tanker shipping, refineries, pipelines and lng ports survive. the needful will be done. even if far too late and just for vengance.

Correct. The world beyond 2050 is unimaginable to the modern perspective.

For the short version, see the following article: Life Circa 2050 Will Be Bad. Really Bad.

For the long version, here's the entirety of Chapter 7: Climate Change in the Twenty-First Century as lifted directly from To Govern The Globe: World Orders & Catastrophic Change (Alfred W. McCoy).

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My capitalist brain wonders how feasible a business model of building a nuke ship and then renting out the power would be. Does building a ship, posting up in a port, and deploying a mobile substation compare to building an actual nuke plant on site? I would imagine that you could at least benefit from the centralization a nuke shipyard would provide.

Aircraft carriers can already hook into and help power a grid with their plants. We just have planes and a flight deck attached to our floating nuclear generators.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

I actually think this is a fairly plausible scenario that we have to rapidly and gigantuously consume more energy to paper over various climate and socioeconomic failings, the contradictions of capital and failing of a planet can be bandaided by expending more energy. but it’s neither a permanent thing because we will still run out of bountiful energy and the wound still hemorrhages out

so at some point it will contract

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah, RCP8.5 is iirc still the best fitting for historical cumulative co2 and that's what i'd bet on unless stops being true. compare "RCP8.5 tracks cumulative CO2emissions" (https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.2007117117) with "Plausible 2005–2050 emissions scenarios project between 2 °C and 3 °C of warming by 2100" (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac4ebf/meta)

the latter's primary author, roger pielke jr, is an actually existing climate optimist/spoiler or whatever the gently caress he is. his dad, roger pielke sr, was also a dipshit. or they get paid well. i'm sure they've some up in the thread but they're always worth pointing out. also for fun checkhttps://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=WtqpmdIAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate to see how many letters pielke puts out about climate models/scenarios are too doomy.

for getting a sense of what 2100 or so could possibly look like, I like papers like "Temperature-dependent hypoxia explains biogeography and severity of end-Permian marine mass extinction". https://www.science.org/doi/abs/10.1126/science.aat1327 for the pretty good article summary or https://sci-hub.se/10.1126/science.aat1327 for the full paper. that's as good a look into the future as you can probably get without starting to make too many things up. it's also way more grim than the 'lol we all gonna die' so i absolutely understand if some of you want to pass.

This is some technical nitpicking, but the Shared Socioeconomic Pathways are far better models of actual human activity than the Representative Concentration Pathways. The RCPs were never intended to model reality. For the RCPs they came up with the concentration number for each model, so RCP 8.5 is modeling a world with 8.5 w/m^2 of radiative forcing. While the SSPs are actually modeling human emissions and actions within their pathways.

Plus SSPs give us 3 bad scenarios to choose from:

SSP3: Regional Rivalry (A Rocky Road)

quote:

SSP3: Regional rivalry (A Rocky Road)
"A resurgent nationalism, concerns about competitiveness and security, and regional conflicts push countries to increasingly focus on domestic or, at most, regional issues. Policies shift over time to become increasingly oriented toward national and regional security issues. Countries focus on achieving energy and food security goals within their own regions at the expense of broader-based development. Investments in education and technological development decline. Economic development is slow, consumption is material-intensive, and inequalities persist or worsen over time. Population growth is low in industrialized and high in developing countries. A low international priority for addressing environmental concerns leads to strong environmental degradation in some regions."[2][11]

SSP4: Inequality (A Road divided)

quote:

SSP4: Inequality (A Road Divided)
"Highly unequal investments in human capital, combined with increasing disparities in economic opportunity and political power, lead to increasing inequalities and stratification both across and within countries. Over time, a gap widens between an internationally-connected society that contributes to knowledge- and capital-intensive sectors of the global economy, and a fragmented collection of lower-income, poorly educated societies that work in a labor intensive, low-tech economy. Social cohesion degrades and conflict and unrest become increasingly common. Technology development is high in the high-tech economy and sectors. The globally connected energy sector diversifies, with investments in both carbon-intensive fuels like coal and unconventional oil, but also low-carbon energy sources. Environmental policies focus on local issues around middle and high income areas."

SSP5: Fossil-fueled Development (Taking the Highway)

quote:

SSP5: Fossil-Fueled Development (Taking the Highway)
"This world places increasing faith in competitive markets, innovation and participatory societies to produce rapid technological progress and development of human capital as the path to sustainable development. Global markets are increasingly integrated. There are also strong investments in health, education, and institutions to enhance human and social capital. At the same time, the push for economic and social development is coupled with the exploitation of abundant fossil fuel resources and the adoption of resource and energy intensive lifestyles around the world. All these factors lead to rapid growth of the global economy, while global population peaks and declines in the 21st century. Local environmental problems like air pollution are successfully managed. There is faith in the ability to effectively manage social and ecological systems, including by geo-engineering if necessary."

(While SSP5 has some glowing language, it’s still a bad times scenario.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_Socioeconomic_Pathways

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Xaris posted:

I actually think this is a fairly plausible scenario that we have to rapidly and gigantuously consume more energy to paper over various climate and socioeconomic failings, the contradictions of capital and failing of a planet can be bandaided by expending more energy. but it’s neither a permanent thing because we will still run out of bountiful energy and the wound still hemorrhages out

so at some point it will contract

also not for nothing the military is the biggest polluter in the world and I don't see the US quietly ceding its already declining global primacy and weaning us piggies back to only consuming our fair share without a fight.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Trabisnikof posted:

This is some technical nitpicking, but the Shared Socioeconomic Pathways are far better models of actual human activity than the Representative Concentration Pathways. The RCPs were never intended to model reality. For the RCPs they came up with the concentration number for each model, so RCP 8.5 is modeling a world with 8.5 w/m^2 of radiative forcing. While the SSPs are actually modeling human emissions and actions within their pathways.

oh yeah, i'm aware and familiar with the difference. it's not like SRES -> RCP scenarios where the SRES scenarios more or less got obviated. There are still scenarios where you'd use RCPs without SSPs and some where you'd combine RCPs and SSPs (Pielke's paper notes between RCP8.5 and SSP5-8.5).

https://glisa.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/A_Practitioners_Guide_to_Climate_Model_Scenarios.pdf has a really clear and in depth explanation and why/when you'd use RCPs or combine.

also pretty sure the RCP8.5 paper only used RCP8.5 as a point. there was a two letter back and forth after where someone says "WEO scenarios are more reliable than RCPs or SSPs for CO2 emissions :goonsay:" https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2017124117 https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2018008117 and Schwalm responds telling them they missed the point https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2018008117 which also explains why they'd use an RCP alone instead of an SSP-RCP.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

MightyBigMinus posted:

That was how the deluge wrapped up: a decade of horror and devastation (and the assassination of a few key people) leading up to a genuine effort to remake the world

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

i spent five minutes on this could i get a pity quote

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Has the biosphere collapsed yet? No? Wrap it up doomers. :smug:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

4d3d3d posted:

Pro-natalists keep making up people to get angry at, which I guess is in keeping with their worldview if nothing else

lol

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1651689341716922369

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I love FCP, posting archaeologist

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
climate scientists are starting to sound like a shattered record

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
That was two weeks ago. This thread gets poo poo up by the worst posters twice a month, and it's about the most important issue possible

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

4d3d3d posted:

That was two weeks ago. This thread gets poo poo up by the worst posters twice a month, and it's about the most important issue possible

the frequency in which this thread gets poo poo up is increasing at an alarming rate

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

the frequency in which this thread gets poo poo up is increasing at an alarming rate

It's not that bad...
Yet.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

this is fully what I expect to happen when resource scarcity becomes an existential crisis. maybe the doomsday clock people have it backwards and we need nuclear Armageddon to rapidly dismantle capitalism and save the future? someone should push the button asap if not sooner!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

TehSaurus posted:

this is fully what I expect to happen when resource scarcity becomes an existential crisis. maybe the doomsday clock people have it backwards and we need nuclear Armageddon to rapidly dismantle capitalism and save the future? someone should push the button asap if not sooner!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

TehSaurus posted:

covid bought us a little bit of time and thread crossover events are going to continue to increase as we mix wild and domestic more and we've proven that our reaction to a deadly pandemic is 'lol, lmao' so maybe we'll manage to completely cripple our productive capacity through repeated plagues to the point that there's just not enough able-bodied workers to keep up global carbon production!

gotta keep it optimistic after all.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Damnit I even saw that one

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

If avian flu breaches containment the degree to which appropriate public health responses have been sabotaged will lead to a much more dramatic population decrease than covid saw.

I think the raw effects from population loss will be substantial as well as the chance of localized supply/logistics collapses. Though this could do the thing where things get worse because insufficient industry reduces atmospheric reflection.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

celadon posted:

If avian flu breaches containment the degree to which appropriate public health responses have been sabotaged will lead to a much more dramatic population decrease than covid saw.

I think the raw effects from population loss will be substantial as well as the chance of localized supply/logistics collapses. Though this could do the thing where things get worse because insufficient industry reduces atmospheric reflection.

"There's a 27.5% chance a pandemic as deadly as Covid-19 could take place in the next decade as viruses emerge more frequently, with rapid vaccine rollout the key to reducing fatalities, according to a predictive health analytics firm."

So actually a greater than 50% chance

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

biosphere collapse posted:

this could do the thing where things get worse

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TehSaurus posted:

Ah, the Star Trek timeline

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

BCR posted:

While its still up and free.

The Collapse TV show.

thanks bud, was lookin for this for a while, easily among the best collapse content

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Paradoxish posted:

Being 100% honest, the total dissolution of public health as a concept probably would have utterly broken me and turned me into a legit misanthrope without having been able to laugh about it with the COVID thread. This thread kind of serves a similar purpose as I watch the media just intentionally ignore the seriousness of the climate situation.

SAME. great post.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

celadon posted:

at least we already know what the government response will be

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Plus SSPs give us 3 bad scenarios to choose from:

SSP3: Regional Rivalry (A Rocky Road)

SSP4: Inequality (A Road divided)

SSP5: Fossil-fueled Development (Taking the Highway)

(While SSP5 has some glowing language, it’s still a bad times scenario.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_Socioeconomic_Pathways

friendship ended with RCP8.5, SSP3 is my new best friend

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Osv18 posted:

dismissing people as 'cranks' is some A grade university discourse bullshit.

bad website formatting=crank. simple

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

(also if I don’t use p-values how can I hack my lovely data to make up for my lousy experimental design???)

don't worry bro we've got your back

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ej is under my protection

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

we are all cranks then

checks out

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Homeless Friend posted:

wrong i posted an article from a guy with a bad* website format. likewise plenty of non-crazy looking cranks have non-crazy looking websites

*it's actually good. also jay hanson's websites all died in like the mid-2000s and those are repros. the originals back around peak oil 2005 and before were art https://web.archive.org/web/20040618005404/http://www.dieoff.org/

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Apr 28, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I read about 10 of the Paul Chefurka articles today, hadn't heard of him before.

lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Osv18 posted:

dismissing people as 'cranks' is some A grade university discourse bullshit. there is no center of epistemological legitimacy anymore from which to designate 'cranks', not when this entire civilization has turned out to be a disastrous wrong turn. if you have a coherent argument against the maximum power principle (which Hanson did not invent, it was Lokta in the 20's) or against Jacobson (who spent 40 years fighting in the trenches before giving up and becoming a doomer) then by all means, I'd love to hear them.

this sounds exactly what a crank would say