Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The only thing that makes Dodgeball good is Ben Stiller's character so if Stiller isn't back then there's no point.

Rip Torn was great. But he definitely won't be back so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Enos Cabell posted:

There has been talk of a Mystery Men prequel lately.

Are there any good comedy sequels? I was trying to think of some the other night and drew a blank.

I actually kinda want to see what the future looks like in the Galaxy Quest universe.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Are there any good comedy sequels?

Addams Family Values
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzLy-cPGSrw

Hot Shots! Part Deux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glj9FDVgN3w

Both came out in 1993.

Matlack Radio fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 28, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

22 Jump Street was alright

Matlack Radio posted:

Addams Family Values
Hot Shots! Part Deux

Both came out in 1993.

Agreed on all of these.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Tried to google better sequels and the second suggestion was Clerks 2 so I assume everyone's on crack. And further down Wayne Worlds 2 yeah this is just bait.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Oh Spy Who Shagged Me is better than the first Austin Powers.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'd put Men in Black 3 down as a good one, but none of the others worked for me past the first.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m honestly surprised there’s not like a dozen direct to video Dodgeball sequels.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Naked Gun 2½ and 33⅓.

I'll admit its been forever since I rewatched them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
These are all comedy sequels made pretty quickly after the originals. It's when ten or more years pass that they're usually sad and unnecessary at the very least.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

These are all comedy sequels made pretty quickly after the originals. It's when ten or more years pass that they're usually sad and unnecessary at the very least.
Yes that is more of my thinking

You just can’t replicate a movie 10+ years or more after the original if it’s a comedy

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

secretly best girl posted:

I'd put Men in Black 3 down as a good one, but none of the others worked for me past the first.

I liked Men In Black 2 as a kid because it's basically the jokes people liked in the first one but More So (the tiny gun! the talking dog!) but as an adult I realize those exact same things actually make it a terrible sequel.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Sirotan posted:

Problem with 33 1/3 is its very very direct reference to The Crying Game which, like Ace Ventura, is just noping the gently caress out now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lid posted:

Problem with 33 1/3 is its very very direct reference to The Crying Game which, like Ace Ventura, is just noping the gently caress out now.

Well poo poo, I had completely forgotten about that.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Clearly they learned nothing from the failures of way too late sequels like Zoolander 2

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1651675937103118336?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Impressed they got Vince Vaughn back. He's such a big draw

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I would put Ace Ventura 2 in the category of good sequels that were rushed out like 1 year after the original hit theaters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i dunno i liked it as a kid but as an adult it seems apparent that ace ventura 2 trades being transphobic for being insanely racist

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno i liked it as a kid but as an adult it seems apparent that ace ventura 2 trades being transphobic for being insanely racist

But he's a white devil tho

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lid posted:

Wayne Worlds 2 yeah this is just bait.

The worst thing about Wayne's World 2 is that Wayne's World had about 40% of the jokes already. In a vacuum it's a great movie and all the stuff that's new is fantastic. Walken is so good, James Hong is kicking rear end as always, and the roadie is a really fun character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I also liked it as a kid but I just know that it doesn’t hold up

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Watched it on cable a month or two back. It's still mostly ok, the cold open riffing on Cliffhanger feels weird but the Rhino scene still slayed me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Watched it on cable a month or two back. It's still mostly ok, the cold open riffing on Cliffhanger feels weird but the Rhino scene still slayed me.
I remember the Rhino scene being incredible

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember the Rhino scene being incredible

Once I and like 30 devs were in a meeting with a google account manager, and like 10 of us had our own private slack channel. It was a very boring presentation so we started posting funny gifs. Then someone posted the Ace is birthed scene and, to a person, we lost it. Of course, being polite types, we tried to hold it back but it was one of those things where I could see someone ahead of me trying to hold in laughter, and their shoulders shaking set me off, and round and round it went. And once you stopped, you look back at your laptop and see it looping again, and the whole process repeats. I was crying with laughter and trying to keep it restrained, but literally 3 waves of this epidemic went around the room.

Poor bastard up front must have been so uneasy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The film industry is very hosed

https://twitter.com/r0bwatson/status/1652012451339067393?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

The third is the worst of the bunch but the second one is really close to being just as good as the first. Even then the third is still pretty entertaining despite having some dated parts.

I think Wayne's World 2 is pretty good too. I think all the Harold and Kumar movies are pretty good too, even if the first is still the best. Scary Movie 3 is the best of them all.

But for comedy sequels so long after the original, I think Bill and Ted Face the Music has really been the only one that's been any good.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That just reminded me of Heavyweights being better than it had any right to be and how much of that was Ben Stiller being insane.

Also, I saw that movie at the age of twelve with my seventy-two year old grandmother and she literally pissed herself laughing in the theater.
They should retcon his Heavyweights character into being the same person as in Dodgeball, and make it a sequel to both.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Eventually people will realize direct to streaming is just another type of direct to video.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

duz posted:

Eventually people will realize direct to streaming is just another type of direct to video.

I mean, 98 percent of Netflix Originals already are direct-to-video quality.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That looks fairly decent for a cutscene... wait, it's an actual movie? :rolleyes:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

I mean, 98 percent of Netflix Originals already are direct-to-video quality.
Netflix very quickly became the home for trash

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nightmare Cinema posted:

But he's a white devil tho

There's something interesting in that the movie is trying to be not racist, but because it's the early 90s and everything else it comes out like, well, everything that it is.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I also liked it as a kid but I just know that it doesn’t hold up

I think the parts of it where you're not left staring at how racist it is hold up reasonably well. But maybe that's just residual nostalgia because I was exactly the right place and time for that movie to be everything for me when I was young.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Payndz posted:

That looks fairly decent for a cutscene... wait, it's an actual movie? :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/BrndnStrssng/status/1651776676085354496

https://twitter.com/BrndnStrssng/status/1651780570509111299

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 29, 2023

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Rip Torn was great. But he definitely won't be back so

Well, hopefully

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Naked Gun 33⅓ is reaching the point in parody movies where every other joke has to be punctuated with whacky noises

2½ is arguably the best one

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1652006112906866689?s=20

https://twitter.com/OkButStill/status/1652054058721591298?s=20

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Enderzero posted:

Once I and like 30 devs were in a meeting with a google account manager, and like 10 of us had our own private slack channel. It was a very boring presentation so we started posting funny gifs. Then someone posted the Ace is birthed scene and, to a person, we lost it. Of course, being polite types, we tried to hold it back but it was one of those things where I could see someone ahead of me trying to hold in laughter, and their shoulders shaking set me off, and round and round it went. And once you stopped, you look back at your laptop and see it looping again, and the whole process repeats. I was crying with laughter and trying to keep it restrained, but literally 3 waves of this epidemic went around the room.

Poor bastard up front must have been so uneasy.

Lmao

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just saw the Raimi Spider-Men are on Disney+ now, is that the first time that non-Disney movies have been put on there? Besides from studios Disney bought, obviously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chairman Capone posted:

I just saw the Raimi Spider-Men are on Disney+ now, is that the first time that non-Disney movies have been put on there? Besides from studios Disney bought, obviously.

I watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit on it last year. Obviously some particular priorities there, but they clearly aren't averse to making pragmatic deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

I swear, film critics these days are kinda pathetic in the way they prostrate themselves before any big blockbuster, past or present, that doesn't look like grey, processed slurry. Like, yeah, the clip there looks really generic, but that doesn't make Michael Bay's stuff any less awful or gross.