Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
if nobody set up tgat mastadon instance it's probably time to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

George posted:

if nobody set up tgat mastadon instance it's probably time to
:hmmyes:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i smell a goon project

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sapozhnik posted:

i smell a goon project

might wanna take a shower then

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
is there some shitstorm brewing right now in the fediverse, because the hachyderm maintainer just up and quit amid a flurry of vague posts

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rjmccall posted:

is there some shitstorm brewing right now in the fediverse, because the hachyderm maintainer just up and quit amid a flurry of vague posts
idk. i went with mastodon.social and have no dramathirst

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rjmccall posted:

i dont know what that is but

theres always a shitstorm brewing isnt there like when some instance is found out to be bad or something

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i thought this was a low-drama instance

all that drama a week ago about the “official” mastodon app preferring to start new users on mastodon.social and now here’s this perfect example of why that’s a great idea actually

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everything I've seen suggests that Mastodon is the best alternative to Twitter and is in no way at all prepared to go mainstream. I'll have to make the switch at some point but it doesn't seem like it's going to be fun.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I like jorts.horse for mastodon

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ProfNoahGian/status/1652347322167091201

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i know this guy is joking but talking about bingGPT a lot recently had made me wonder what it'd be like if it were paired with google instead (and not the garbage google of today. the good one they're still coasting off of the goodwill for)

it might be... actually pretty useful? although i guess that's also sort of what bard is intended to be, and bard sucks

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
bard can't access "good google" either. good google is dead.
getting good search results depended on the internet actually being good and useful, but it's now enshittified beyond repair
everything is either in walled-garden "platforms", polluted with with SEO click farmers, or both.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i know this guy is joking but talking about bingGPT a lot recently had made me wonder what it'd be like if it were paired with google instead (and not the garbage google of today. the good one they're still coasting off of the goodwill for)

it might be... actually pretty useful? although i guess that's also sort of what bard is intended to be, and bard sucks

how would that be different than what bing chat is doing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

well for starters the basis of it would be something that hasn't existed for like a decade

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

well for starters the basis of it would be something that hasn't existed for like a decade

sure

i guess i just mostly mean that i think recent bingo is fairly usable especially compared to today google if not necessarily our remembrance of yestergoogle

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mediaphage posted:

it's not really. i feel like bing's results aren't (and really never were, though i guess with some queries it can come close) as good as google's were though. i'm just imagining like, "what if this thing had access to 'actually good 99% of the time' results"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

google is literally bad now because they replaced their old engine with an llm in 2018. I wonder if you can pull tricks on it like "pretend you're the old google search engine that respected boolean operators and didn't replace the specific model numbers I'm looking up with vaguely similar random strings" or "I have a specific illness that only lets me use search engines that include more than five of the words I'm searching for"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theflyingexecutive posted:

google is literally bad now because they replaced their old engine with an llm in 2018.

i thought this was just speculation? admittedly i don't know much about how google search works but it seems like the update in 2018 was to alter how medical results were returned

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol the replies are 50/50 ai boosters agreeing and critics hating and none of them got the joke

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i thought this was just speculation? admittedly i don't know much about how google search works but it seems like the update in 2018 was to alter how medical results were returned

Yeah I'm pretty sure the search team is completely terrified to make any meaningful change to the search product (except for adding more ads.) The internet that the old algorithm relied on though has died, which is why the results are garbage.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

turns out I meant 2015's RankBrain

it's also impossible to find any discussion about its impact on search usability because the first hundred pages of results are all SEO sites

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 30, 2023

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/smokeismedicine/status/1652079160372903936

:hmmyes:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

check out this guys drip
https://twitter.com/anc_historian/status/1652508069459263488?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"shrimp king of alaska" is a wonderful title. i wish i were a shrimp king

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in my eyes you already are

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

ask tori how it's working out for him :haw:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

Certainly cooler than “shrimp king of Kansas”.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
shrimp-king of angmar

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Twitter Users Discover Phrase to Magically Resurrect Lost Blue Checks

https://twitter.com/acarboni/status/1652905817925091329

They're saying this is a bug rather than an easter egg but that just raises so many questions....

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Twitter Users Discover Phrase to Magically Resurrect Lost Blue Checks

https://twitter.com/acarboni/status/1652905817925091329

They're saying this is a bug rather than an easter egg but that just raises so many questions....
literally forums cancer adjacent (if not insanely surpassed) at this point

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Honestly at this point I'm not sure that comparing Twitter to radium's work is fair to radium.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

ultrafilter posted:

Honestly at this point I'm not sure that comparing Twitter to radium's work is fair to radium.

At least Radium had the excuse of working in PHP.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

tbf elon might be working on PCP

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Polygon1993/status/1653114544686784512?t=9a0A6VVphZdR67pYcYfelQ&s=19

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1653186813488517122

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually