Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

rscott posted:

Has there been any effort to recalculate BMI for modern populations given that average heights have increased by like 8-9% since the 1830s? It seems to me that it breaks down for taller populations because it's kg/m^2 but body mass increases somewhat more because we're 3 dimensional beings and not 2 dimensional. Like if you're 6 foot even and weigh 185lbs you're technically overweight and that seems a little ridiculous to me as someone who is 6'4" like most goons are. 185 is supposed to be like my ideal weight per BMI and when I weigh that much I have to buy all my pants online because no one stocks 32/36 in the stores.

E: It seems there are many better developed scales, the simplest of which is the CI (corpulence index) which is literally just what I described above, using actual density measures with an index of 12 as healthy weight for adults instead of 22.5. Why doesn't the medical community use the more advanced indexes instead of BMI? It seems like the difference between using batting average to measure a baseball player's performance instead of OPS to make a nerdy sabrmetrics analogy

BMI is good enough for risk stratification in most contexts, which is all it really needs to do in the medical setting. An individual with a BMI of X is at Y risk of complication Z, etc. Just another number among dozens of others. Any decent healthcare provider will make decisions based on the patient as a whole and not just one number.

“Ideal weight” at 6’4” is up to 205 which is/was perfectly normal. Stores not carrying your pants size just means that the general population is overweight, not that it’s an unhealthy weight for you.

I laughed at the time but Jon Stewart was surprisingly prescient when he made this joke in like 2004:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BMI is loving bullshit and I will never feel otherwise.

I used to be friends with a girl who was 5' nothing, and weighed 100lbs soaking wet and holding weights.
BMI told her she could stand to lose a few pounds.
Short of a haircut or an amputation, she had no weight to lose. And I used to wonder why she was bulimic.

And then in my specific experience, BMI says I'm severely morbidly obese.
Like, don't get me wrong, I'm overweight, but SMO to me says "Too fat to be able to function and should be collecting disability for it", and I'm far from that.

I have to do this loving song and dance with the Coast Guard every 5 years because they are all the gently caress in on BMI when it comes to merchant mariner credentials, though I honestly suspect that someone is getting kickbacks from CPAP manufacturers for that, because their immediate go-to is always "You're fat? Must have a sleep apnea. You have to use this machine forever now to keep your license."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe if I remember correctly, BMI was never intended to be used the way it gets used now when it was created as a concept

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe if I remember correctly, BMI was never intended to be used the way it gets used now when it was created as a concept

Yeah, it's supposed to be used for population data. Groups of people.

You get skewed results when you try to use it on individuals, but apparently it's easy and convenient to math out, so people keep using it wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

the_steve posted:

BMI is loving bullshit and I will never feel otherwise.

I used to be friends with a girl who was 5' nothing, and weighed 100lbs soaking wet and holding weights.
BMI told her she could stand to lose a few pounds.
Short of a haircut or an amputation, she had no weight to lose. And I used to wonder why she was bulimic.

And then in my specific experience, BMI says I'm severely morbidly obese.
Like, don't get me wrong, I'm overweight, but SMO to me says "Too fat to be able to function and should be collecting disability for it", and I'm far from that.

I have to do this loving song and dance with the Coast Guard every 5 years because they are all the gently caress in on BMI when it comes to merchant mariner credentials, though I honestly suspect that someone is getting kickbacks from CPAP manufacturers for that, because their immediate go-to is always "You're fat? Must have a sleep apnea. You have to use this machine forever now to keep your license."

If someone was 5 feet tall and weighed less than 100 pounds, then they would be on the low end of normal BMI and close to underweight.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

BMI categories have been repeatedly updated by modern organizations. CI has the same inputs and thus the same underlying issues as BMI. Most better indices require additional measurements and inputs, which has been the primary reason they're not used in clinical guidelines. The AAP guideline revision that was discussed in the recent winter thread has a section devoted to the question of BMI use that may be illustrative of why it sees ongoing clinical use. See section VII A.

This is for kids though and not for adults?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, but the fact that the drug works, and how it works, kind of suggests that "better habits" are not really the product of some individual exertion of will but rather just the chemical processes in your brain.

I 100% agree (and agree with what everyone else posted), I was just posting it because it sucks. I mean worth it if there's no long term effects, etc. Just an annoying thing.

Gyges posted:

If they were just testing the efficacy of the drug, wouldn't they encourage people in the trial not to additionally adopt known weight loss changes such as significant dietary or exercise regimes? So, if we know it's just a temporary "hack" to help you make changes it should still be effective in helping you solidify a diet/lifestyle change.

No idea about a trial, this was just reported in real world usage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weight is pretty much an excellent case of the problem where social issues are oversimplified to completely useless bloviating about 'personal responsibility' with systemic and material factors of any kind considered utterly unimportant compared to assuming everyone's just choosing to have problems, and should choose to not have problems.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If someone was 5 feet tall and weighed less than 100 pounds, then they would be on the low end of normal BMI and close to underweight.

At the time, it was telling her that she was 5 pounds or so over the ideal. I don't remember her exact measurements, but she was fuckin' tiny.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

rscott posted:

This is for kids though and not for adults?

quote:

illustrative

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

the_steve posted:

At the time, it was telling her that she was 5 pounds or so over the ideal. I don't remember her exact measurements, but she was fuckin' tiny.

At 100lbs (which you seem to have proposed as the max), she'd have to be 4ft5 inches tall to be considered "heavier than ideal". At 5ft, she'd have to be over 128lbs to be.

This isn't just a bit of playing around the edges of uncertainty about exact values - what you're saying here is a massive mismatch versus the numbers you're citing and the reality. If she had an eating disorder, are you sure she wasn't just... making things up, to you, to make it sound better?

Mendrian posted:

"You can will your way through a diet, I've done it, it's just hard" is sort of the core of the problematic attitude. If you've done it, we can conclusively say that the sum total of factors in your life contributed to it being possible for you. As a human, when something feels difficult that we nonetheless achieved, it is natural (but wrong) to conclude that your own strength was the primary contributing factor and other people, if they merely exercised the same tenacity, would also succeed.

On a sociological scale that is demonstrably false, is my point.

If this is in response to me, maybe you should finish reading the post before you respond since the point seems to have flown completely over your head. On a sociological scale it can absolutely be 100% true and still result in the outcomes we have right now.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 28, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think the_steve is probably a bit off on the heights and weights but I'm sure his friend was right about her BMI; the general phenomenon he’s describing, of somebody being pretty much flat-out skinny but being overweight by BMI, is a thing. If you saw a 5 foot tall 130 pound person you would probably not think "that person is overweight" or even "that person could lose a few pounds". Granted that is partially social expectation; maybe in a time when average BMI was lower such a person would be noticeably "thick."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mellow Seas posted:

I think the_steve is probably a bit off on the heights and weights but I'm sure his friend was right about her BMI; the general phenomenon he’s describing, of somebody being pretty much flat-out skinny but being overweight by BMI, is a thing. If you saw a 5 foot tall 130 pound person you would probably not think "that person is overweight" or even "that person could lose a few pounds". Granted that is partially social expectation; maybe in a time when average BMI was lower such a person would be noticeably "thick."

Thank you, yes.
I haven't talked to this woman, let alone been friends with her, in over 10 years. And even back then, it isn't like I kept charts and scales around. I just know what she told me at the time when I was complaining to her about my BMI woes with the Coast Guard and I have no reason to believe she was lying, especially given how obsessive she was about her own weight.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Most peoples failed diet has been a fad diet that doesn't have a chance at actually working, usually because it's a condition specific diet not designed for weight loss. People think you will lose weight on a diet plan because a competent nutritionist will prescribe you a diet at a 250 day calorie deficit if your overweight and have diet related health issues weight loss will improve. Anyone scared enough by their health issues to stick with their diet plan will drop about 25 pounds a year, and when people ask will talk about the diet, forgetting or not even realizing it's calorie controlled.

Calorie control is the only way to reliability and safely loose weight. If we found the chemical that helps with that great, because calorie control really sucks.

No fasting is not effective because most people react by unconsciously binge eating. It also seriously affects your mood

All that said society could make it way easier by considered weight loss related claims as medical claims and cleaning house on the utter garbage claims pushed by the supplements lobby and food lobbies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
On that note, just for reference the way the distinction is drawn with supplements is that weight loss is considered a structure-function claim (so supplements can make it) and treating obesity (a disease condition) is a drug claim. That's the simple version, setting aside a bunch of other factors.

A lot of the worst poo poo in supplements is in the area of weight loss products (including, infamously, ephedra). Many states are currently considering legislation to at least age-restrict weight loss and bodybuilding supplements this year- if that sounds appealing, you may want to see if your state is one of them and contact your state legislators about supporting those bills.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Joe Biden's anti-Hank Hill agenda to ban gas cooking nationally may have been delayed, but New York is still moving forward.

There is likely going to be a lawsuit because the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975 technically says that the federal government must set the minimum standards for certain appliances that use energy. They don't specify whether that includes bans for environmental reasons, but that is likely the leg on which the lawsuits against it will rest. They will likely argue that banning something because of its energy use qualifies as a local regulation pre-empting federal law. But, this question hasn't really been challenged before. So, it will be somewhat new territory.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1651843970865983488

quote:

New York is on the cusp of becoming the first state in the nation to pass a law banning natural gas in most new buildings, according to a handshake agreement that Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) announced she and state lawmakers had reached late Thursday.

The law would effectively require that most new buildings go all-electric, jettisoning fossil-fuel-burning appliances in favor of heat pumps and induction stoves for heating and cooking. It is part of a national movement, led by climate advocates, to cut greenhouse gas emissions from homes and businesses by ridding buildings of natural gas, heating oil and propane.

The deal follows weeks of negotiations over a slew of nonfiscal measures included in the New York state budget, which was delayed over disagreements between the governor and the Democrat-led legislature over bail and housing policy. Though its exact terms have not been made public, environmental advocates said the gas ban would take effect in 2026 for most new buildings under seven stories and in 2029 for taller buildings — the timeline the governor had sought.

While some states have used their building codes to restrict natural gas hookups, New York would be the first to apply the ban in state law. Washington was the first to use its building code to mandate all-electric space heating and cooling in new buildings — a step that effectively requires developers to install electric heat pumps. California has also used its building code to encourage electrification.

Gas ban supporters said the state’s agreement is modeled on a law New York City passed two years ago, when it became the largest U.S. city to prohibit gas heat and stoves in new buildings. Dozens of others cities have enacted variations of this measure around the country, beginning on the West Coast in Berkeley, Calif., and spreading to larger cities like San Francisco, Seattle and Washington D.C.

In New York, supporters hope the move could be a bellwether moment for the electrification movement, given the state’s size and its influence on real estate trends nationally.

Across the nation, the natural gas industry and environmental activists have battled over the effectiveness of electric heat pumps, health concerns related to gas stoves and local ordinances banning new gas hookups.

The New York law is likely to face its own legal challenges. Earlier this month, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit struck down the city of Berkeley’s first-in-the-nation gas ban, dealing a potential setback to that California city and 25 others with similar ordinances.

Republicans in New York’s state Senate cited that decision as part of their argument that Democrats should abandon their efforts. But the court’s ruling does not cover New York and its national impact is unclear, given its narrow scope and the likelihood of an appeal to the full panel of judges.

Alex Beauchamp, Northeast region director at Food & Water Watch, a climate advocacy group, said that while he was disappointed to have to wait three years for New York’s ban to take effect, the agreement was still “a huge deal.”

The deal is a “testament to the lasting power of the state’s grassroots environmental movement,” Beauchamp said in a statement. “We now must ensure that the final deal contain no loopholes or poison pills that could allow buildings to continue burning fossil fuels.”

In a statement Thursday night, a coalition of environmental and social justice groups supporting the legislation said they remained concerned that the final deal could include a provision backed by the oil and gas industry, which would give local governments the ability to effectively veto the policy.

Though the ban would affect new construction statewide, it will not reduce emissions from the state’s existing building stock. New Yorkers who currently warm their homes with gas-burning boilers and furnaces and cook their meals on gas stoves will not be affected.

The agreement still requires the state legislature’s formal approval, which is likely to occur next week. Its passage is all but assured.

Although a similar measure faced stiff resistance last year from the Assembly’s Democratic leadership, this time around both the Assembly and Senate endorsed plans to prohibit fossil fuel appliances in most new construction, requiring a final policy to be hammered out by Albany’s “three-men-in-a-room” — the governor and the leaders of both chambers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sounds like this could be its own thread

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

it's pretty funny how we (US) subsidize massive overproduction of corn and cheese then turn around and wonder why everyone is obese, you gotta stop eating all these cheap calories that were specifically engineered to be extremely delicious

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Having seen a 5'6" person who weighed less than 130 pounds, I disagree. They were a bit skinny. Someone who weighed more than them despite being half a foot shorter definitely wouldn't qualify as "flat-out skinny".

BMI isn't a perfect measurement and the expectations set by current BMI charts have their flaws, but I don't believe there's much reason to think a bunch of Americans who are goony as gently caress are going to be better than doctors at setting weight standards.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

BMI isn't a perfect measurement and the expectations set by current BMI charts have their flaws, but I don't believe there's much reason to think a bunch of Americans who are goony as gently caress are going to be better than doctors at setting weight standards.
I dunno, the evidence that doctors understand obesity, let alone how to treat it, is pretty thin. Honestly obese people understand obesity much better than non-obese people, regardless of credentials, because they think about it constantly. So yeah, actually, I’ll trust the goony as gently caress guy on this one.

Also remember that these were weight standards set by doctors during the Van Buren administration. Wasn’t most medical treatment still done by barbers back then?

I’ll allow that a 5’0 130 pound person is not “skinny,” but they are also not a person who is gonna to have a lick of health problems because of their weight. They could because of their diet or activity level but so could a 5’0 110 pound person. The “overweight” status is just a correlated, but poorly correlated, metric for estimating one’s diet and activity level.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 28, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BTW there is a separate body of research suggesting that regardless of weight, low calorie diets are associated with slower aging and greater longevity. Quick link on that: https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/news/calorie-restriction-slows-pace-aging-healthy-adults

This is a good argument for taking appetite suppressing medication, even for people who aren’t dramatically overweight. DV is right though that it’ll be a while before we can really be sure these drugs are safe long term or that they have an overall positive effect on health.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AlKapDC/status/1651295037697687575

I was surprised this didn't get more ink, but the AZ lege actually removed a Qanon rep because she invited some crazy lady to testify for a loving hour at a committee hearing, accusing pretty much every state official of taking bribes from the Sinaloa Carte.

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1651571775031980032

The "It doesn't matter if DiFi resigns because the GOP wouldn't let them replace her on Judiciary anyway" talking point dies.

Isn’t this just going to be vetoed along with all the other dumb poo poo republicans try to use the Congressional Review Act to do?

Don’t get my wrong I think Feinstein should resign immediately and stop holding up judicial appointments (aka the one useful thing this congress is likely to do other than routine appropriations and reauthorizations—assuming they can manage those!). But let’s not be hysterical.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I honestly don’t understand why somebody can’t just trick Feinstein into resigning.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

I honestly don’t understand why somebody can’t just trick Feinstein into resigning.

You'd have to get her to sign a letter that says I resign and ensure that none of her staff know. Even just saying I resign doesn't mean much.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mendrian posted:

"You can will your way through a diet, I've done it, it's just hard" is sort of the core of the problematic attitude. If you've done it, we can conclusively say that the sum total of factors in your life contributed to it being possible for you. As a human, when something feels difficult that we nonetheless achieved, it is natural (but wrong) to conclude that your own strength was the primary contributing factor and other people, if they merely exercised the same tenacity, would also succeed.

On a sociological scale that is demonstrably false, is my point.

Yes. When I lost that weight I had a well paid job (sufficient to be a sole income provider for a family of 5) with 40 hours a week and showers at work (cycling to work was part of it). If I had stayed at Activision with 70+ hours of work, endless crunch, and LA traffic I might have never lost the weight.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charlz Guybon posted:

You think Koreans and Japanese salarymen don't just chow down on cup ramen and pound down shots when they get out of work? Because that's what they do.

The Ramen there isn’t junk and in Tokyo at least, you do a lot of walking, the subway stops aren’t that close to each other.

Japanese diet as a whole is far more nutritious than the typical US one.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The next person who talks about dieting or BMI is getting banned.

Don't ask me how I could possibly enforce that. Just beware the ban and shut the gently caress up.

Mellow Seas posted:

The people around Feinstein have a lot of soft power and influence they will lose instantly the second she is gone. They will definitely not let that happen.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 28, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The economy still continues to confuse everyone and be unpredictable since the pandemic.

Good News:

- Real wages have gone up for several months in a row for the first time since 2020.

- Inflation continues to fall.

- The U.S. economy is still growing, so there is no recession. The technical recession from last year has been technically over for about 9 months.

- Unemployment continues to be at record lows.

Bad News:

- Inflation is heading in the right direction, but much more slowly than anticipated.

- Now that real wages are rising again, Fed officials worry that inflation will continue to come down even more slowly because the average person is better able to absorb price increases.

- This means that the Fed may go through with at least one more rate hike after they had initially planned to slow down or pause - once again raising the costs to buy a new home or car.

- GDP is still growing, but the most recent quarter of growth was about half of the previous quarter.

Mixed/Uncertain News:

- Nobody is really sure if the recent rate hikes are having a very small effect or a very delayed effect. If it is small, then the Fed will likely keep raising rates further than initially planned.

- Nobody is really sure if the recent rise in real wages is a blip or part of a longer trend.

- Nobody is really sure if the rise in real wages will have a significant impact on prices or inflation.

- If the impact of the Fed's rate increases is delayed, then they may be able to get inflation down without any major economic downturn - the so-called "soft landing."

- If the impact of the Fed's rate increases are not delayed, but are minimal, then it implies that higher than usual inflation will linger around for longer than expected. It also increases the chance that the Fed pushes too far and does more damage to the labor market and GDP growth than intended.

- GDP growth slowing while real wages rise is a confusing pairing and not really giving clear guidance on what direction the economy is heading or what impacts the recent rate increases have had.

tl;dr:

Things are moving in the right direction and are good on some fronts, but there are warning signs on other fronts. Chronic uncertainty about the economy since 2020 continues. GDP, the labor market, and wage growth have all been much stronger than anticipated, but also unpredictable. The supply chains for many different industries are still backed up through 2024 and that will make things even more confusing/indicators lagging. Things are turning out better than expected, but nobody has really been able to accurately predict what is happening since 2020 and they still aren't confident about where it is heading even now. A minor/moderate recession, better than expected growth/soft landing, and muddling through without too much change are all very real possibilities in the next year and nobody really knows what is the most likely.

quote:

Wages Continue to Grow, Good for Workers but a Worry for the Fed

Wages and salaries for workers rose 5.1 percent from a year earlier, which helps employees keep up with the rising cost of living but complicates the Federal Reserve’s efforts to tamp down inflation.

Wage growth remained strong in early 2023 — good news for workers trying to keep up with the rising cost of living, but a likely source of concern for Federal Reserve officials as they try to tamp down inflation without causing a recession.

Wages and salaries for private-sector U.S. workers were up 5.1 percent in March from a year earlier, and up 1.2 percent from December, the Labor Department said Friday. That was the same growth rate as in December, and defied forecasters’ expectations of a modest slowdown. A broader measure of compensation growth, which includes the value of benefits as well as pay, actually accelerated slightly in the first quarter.

The Fed has been raising interest rates for more than a year in an effort to cool off the economy and bring down inflation. Wages are a big piece of that puzzle: Policymakers believe that the labor market, in which there are far more available jobs than workers to fill them, is pushing up pay at an unsustainable rate, contributing to inflation. They are trying to strike a delicate balance, raising borrowing costs enough to discourage hiring and ease pressure on pay, but not so much that companies begin laying off workers en masse.

The results of those efforts have been mixed. Inflation has come down from its highs last year, and economic growth has slowed: Data released Thursday showed that gross domestic product, adjusted for inflation, increased at just a 1.1 percent annual rate in the first quarter. Companies have begun posting fewer job openings, and previously overheated sectors of the economy, like housing and tech, have cooled dramatically.

But inflation has come down more slowly than many forecasters had expected, and many economists say that while the labor market may no longer be boiling over, it is still at an uncomfortably high simmer. The wage figures released Friday tell a similar story: Pay is no longer rising as rapidly as it was in the middle of last year, but it is still rising much faster than before the pandemic.

Fed officials were already expected to raise interest rates again at their meeting next week, and the wage data released Friday erased any remaining doubts, argued Omair Sharif, founder of Inflation Insights.

“If any Fed officials were wavering on a May rate hike,” he wrote in a note to clients, the wage data “will likely push them to support at least one more hike.”

Wage growth is a delicate issue for the Fed. Faster pay gains have helped workers, particularly those at the bottom of the earnings ladder, keep up with rapidly rising prices. And most economists, inside and outside the Fed, say wage growth has not been a dominant cause of the recent bout of high inflation.

But Fed officials worry that if companies need to keep raising pay, they will also need to keep raising prices. That could make it hard for inflation to return to the central bank’s target of 2 percent per year, even as the pandemic-era disruptions that caused the initial pop of inflation recede.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/28/business/wage-inflation-march.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 28, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yawgmoft posted:

The next person who talks about dieting or BMI is getting banned.

That's a pretty heavy punishment. :dadjoke:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Joe Biden's anti-Hank Hill agenda to ban gas cooking nationally may have been delayed, but New York is still moving forward.

There is likely going to be a lawsuit because the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975 technically says that the federal government must set the minimum standards for certain appliances that use energy. They don't specify whether that includes bans for environmental reasons, but that is likely the leg on which the lawsuits against it will rest. They will likely argue that banning something because of its energy use qualifies as a local regulation pre-empting federal law. But, this question hasn't really been challenged before. So, it will be somewhat new territory.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1651843970865983488

I just bought a new high efficiency tankless hot water heater because my old tank started leaking. My mother (who gets all her information from Fox News) is insisting this means Hochul will send her goons to rip it off my wall. No matter how many times I tell her it only applies to new buildings, she keeps saying "no the state is going to force us all to upgrade to electric."

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

KillHour posted:

I just bought a new high efficiency tankless hot water heater because my old tank started leaking. My mother (who gets all her information from Fox News) is insisting this means Hochul will send her goons to rip it off my wall. No matter how many times I tell her it only applies to new buildings, she keeps saying "no the state is going to force us all to upgrade to electric."

It won't make a difference how many times you tell her. My mom swears that, any minute now, Biden is going to lower the estate tax threshold to $200,000. I've tried numerous times to convince her that it won't happen.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kith posted:

Yeah but how tall is the punishment? It might still be at a healthy weight.

:dadjoke:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kith posted:

Don't worry, it's just a ban but no probe so it'll go by pretty fast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

volts5000 posted:

It won't make a difference how many times you tell her. My mom swears that, any minute now, Biden is going to lower the estate tax threshold to $200,000. I've tried numerous times to convince her that it won't happen.

Your mom is at least sort of in the realm of realism. Biden did propose lowering the estate tax threshold to $1 million as part of the BBB. She's just way off on the exact number and doesn't seem to know it died almost two years ago.

I don't think Kathy Hochul has ever promised to send the police to every home and forcibly remove water heaters and stoves.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It would be pretty hilarious to see someone detained by police outside their home while a guy in a Samsung uniform replaces their gas stove with an electric.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Conservative media star Steven Crowder was caught on tape verbally abusing his 8-month pregnant wife. There's about 4 minutes of video in total where he also threatened to hit her and says that he only has one car for the two of them so he can be in charge of her movement. He also accuses her of failing to do "wifely things" around the house and forcing him to discipline her. His wife alleges that he refused to be in the delivery room when she gave birth to their twins because he thought she was failing as a wife and didn't want to acknowledge her as a mother until she got her act together, so he scheduled an elective doctor's appointment on the same day she was due.

Crowder has also cut his wife off from all of their money, moved out into his own house, and is in the middle of divorce proceedings.

Sadly, I doubt this will impact his career much. One or two conservative media stars associated with him (including Candace Owens) have already distanced themselves and disavowed him, but everyone else seems to be sticking by him.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1651645745043472384
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1651707138333626369

Full video of one of the recorded incidents:

https://twitter.com/Imposter_Edits/status/1651883280931647488

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 28, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Governor Hochul, please forcibly replace my gas stove, it's old and busted and I had been thinking about doing it myself

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Florida's legislature finally got around to repealing the law that would require elected officials in Florida to resign if they run for another office.

It's not clear why they are repealing this law now. They are most likely just doing a review of old laws and this was one they needed to change right away for no specific reason.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1652021140531888159

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Florida's legislature finally got around to repealing the law that would require elected officials in Florida to resign if they run for another office.

It's not clear why they are repealing this law now. They are most likely just doing a review of old laws and this was one they needed to change right away for no specific reason.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1652021140531888159

That’s a bit surprising. I guess I gave a bit too much credibility to the rumors that the legislature was growing tired of him so blatantly using the governorship as a springboard to a national campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Maybe they think that if he can just declare and start campaigning he will finally be too busy to bother them. :v: