Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
At this point they're committed. They'll last longer fighting Donald Trump than they will against Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DeSantis basically runs this state now by himself, no Republican is going to openly defy him on something like this

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I wonder which state is going to welcome Disney World 2.0, and all that sweet, sweet tourism money it brings with it, with open arms?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.businessinsider.com/jane-roberts-chief-justice-wife-10-million-commissions-2023-4

quote:

Jane Roberts, who is married to Chief Justice John Roberts, made $10.3 million in commissions from elite law firms, whistleblower documents show

quote:

Jane Roberts was paid more than $10 million by a host of elite law firms, a whistleblower alleges.

At least one of those firms argued a case before Chief Justice Roberts after paying his wife hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Details of Jane Roberts' work come as Congress struggles to reform the Court's self-policed ethics.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It really sucks that there is no true enforcement mechanism for removing a justice. Impeachment is just not going to happen in our current climate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
While it's true that the Florida Legislature is made up almost exclusively by craven bootlickers, it's also true that DeSantis is a chickenshit coward of a bully. Without having the safety net of still being governor, it's very likely he wouldn't actually run. So all the favors that the lickspittle legislators have banked loving with Disney will be worth nothing at all, if Puddin Fingers just bows out.

Given the available options, Candidate Governor Meatball is the best option to at least reduce the trips to Tallahassee for near ritual abusive rubber-stamping.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Really makes Roberts' refusal to testify about Supreme Court ethics violations in front of Congress make sense. In a sane world, this would be where the Dems come in and put forth legislation that enacts an outside ethics board to interact with the Supreme Court, similar to how lower courts behave today; would also be a good time to revisit that whole "expand the size of the court" thing, to try and minimize the impact that the obviously corrupt Conservative judges can have.

Sadly, we do not live in a sane world, and Dems won't even try to message about this in the run up to 2024.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Dems refuse to play hardball on judicial nominations by still letting Republicans use ‘blue slips’, so yeah, there is no chance that they are going to seriously tackle court reform

In a perverse way they are incentivized against it because if SCOTUS makes a bad ruling they can raise money off of it and make some very vague promises and then never do anything

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Class3KillStorm posted:

Really makes Roberts' refusal to testify about Supreme Court ethics violations in front of Congress make sense. In a sane world, this would be where the Dems come in and put forth legislation that enacts an outside ethics board to interact with the Supreme Court, similar to how lower courts behave today; would also be a good time to revisit that whole "expand the size of the court" thing, to try and minimize the impact that the obviously corrupt Conservative judges can have.

Sadly, we do not live in a sane world, and Dems won't even try to message about this in the run up to 2024.

I don't get where y'all come up with this "Dems won't even try to message" there are Democrats all over the news criticizing the court over this, the act of asking Roberts to testify is them messaging on it.

Roberts unwillingness to testify and try to defend this poo poo demonstrates his corruption. The problem with actually holding SC Justices accountable is that 67 vote threshold for impeachment and the fact that Republican voters refuse to punish them for their corruption.

The only way to fix what is broken with our country including the court is for people to loving vote in a way that makes it clear that they won't accept the corruption. The problem is that apparently voters are perfectly fine with it.

At this specific point in time that means voting for Democrats. Yea they suck and are spinless and all the usual gripes about them but they are all we have. Because for the Fash corruption isn't a bug it's not even a feature it's the whole loving point.

Because ultimately power is the ability to do things without negative consequences. Republicans aren't interested in oversight and stopping bribery and corruption because their who mission is to return to a world where rich powerful men can do whatever the gently caress they want. That's why they hate Feminism so much, because if you strip all the extraneous bullshit conservatism is about sex and dominating women.

That's why they are against abortion, birth control, universal suffrage, diversity, welfare and pretty much anything that gives women options that aren't find a man to protect you then put up with whatever abuse he subjects you to because the alternative is to be at the mercy of any powerful men in your vicinity.

This state where women actually have rights and agency is a new thing in human civilization and the conservatives aren't having it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Skex posted:

I don't get where y'all come up with this "Dems won't even try to message" there are Democrats all over the news criticizing the court over this, the act of asking Roberts to testify is them messaging on it.

Roberts unwillingness to testify and try to defend this poo poo demonstrates his corruption. The problem with actually holding SC Justices accountable is that 67 vote threshold for impeachment and the fact that Republican voters refuse to punish them for their corruption.

The only way to fix what is broken with our country including the court is for people to loving vote in a way that makes it clear that they won't accept the corruption. The problem is that apparently voters are perfectly fine with it.

At this specific point in time that means voting for Democrats. Yea they suck and are spinless and all the usual gripes about them but they are all we have. Because for the Fash corruption isn't a bug it's not even a feature it's the whole loving point.

Because ultimately power is the ability to do things without negative consequences. Republicans aren't interested in oversight and stopping bribery and corruption because their who mission is to return to a world where rich powerful men can do whatever the gently caress they want. That's why they hate Feminism so much, because if you strip all the extraneous bullshit conservatism is about sex and dominating women.

That's why they are against abortion, birth control, universal suffrage, diversity, welfare and pretty much anything that gives women options that aren't find a man to protect you then put up with whatever abuse he subjects you to because the alternative is to be at the mercy of any powerful men in your vicinity.

This state where women actually have rights and agency is a new thing in human civilization and the conservatives aren't having it.

The problem with this is that we can’t even seem to get justices on the court that agree they should have stronger ethical guidelines. All nine justices signed onto this:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/9-supreme-court-justices-push-back-oversight-raises/story?id=98917921

quote:

All nine justices, in a rare step, on Tuesday released a joint statement reaffirming their voluntary adherence to a general code of conduct but rebutting proposals for independent oversight, mandatory compliance with ethics rules and greater transparency in cases of recusal.

The implication, though not expressly stated, is that the court unanimously rejects legislation proposed by Democrats seeking to impose on the justices the same ethics obligations applied to all other federal judges.

Honestly we need investigations into all of them, if we can’t even get “our” (lol) justices to say something in the face of the naked corruption their colleagues engage in. Put Kagan in the barrel if that’s what it takes to prove the institution itself is corrupt.

selec fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 28, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Conservative media star Steven Crowder was caught on tape verbally abusing his 8-month pregnant wife. There's about 4 minutes of video in total where he also threatened to hit her and says that he only has one car for the two of them so he can be in charge of her movement. He also accuses her of failing to do "wifely things" around the house and forcing him to discipline her. His wife alleges that he refused to be in the delivery room when she gave birth to their twins because he thought she was failing as a wife and didn't want to acknowledge her as a mother until she got her act together, so he scheduled an elective doctor's appointment on the same day she was due.

Crowder has also cut his wife off from all of their money, moved out into his own house, and is in the middle of divorce proceedings.

Sadly, I doubt this will impact his career much. One or two conservative media stars associated with him (including Candace Owens) have already distanced themselves and disavowed him, but everyone else seems to be sticking by him.

There's another shoe waiting to drop involving Crowder. You mention Owens and Crowder has been saying that she's extorting and blackmailing him but it doesn't sound like it's involving this. Apparently it's an open secret that Crowder is a bisexual or a closet case.

Edit: An interesting bit that Lance of the Serfs picked up on: the infamous surprise Sam Seder debate happened five days before Steven's argument with his wife.
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1652076931528159233?s=20

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 28, 2023

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

selec posted:

The problem with this is that we can’t even seem to get justices on the court that agree they should have stronger ethical guidelines. All nine justices signed onto this:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/9-supreme-court-justices-push-back-oversight-raises/story?id=98917921

Honestly we need investigations into all of them, if we can’t even get “our” (lol) justices to say something in the face of the naked corruption their colleagues engage in. Put Kagan in the barrel if that’s what it takes to prove the institution itself is corrupt.

Once again the only way that's going to happen is if voters force it and that's never gonna happen as long as the Republicans remain fascist and hold enough power to block any accountability.

And yeah I get that Democrats can be corrupt as well. But at least some of them make noises to suggest they're amenable to the idea, Republicans are straight up hostile to the idea that rich and powerful people should be accountable. And basically until they have been beaten down to a regional non-factor in politics the Dems are the only chance we have. Because for some reason the Left decided to disarm and avoid military service while the CHUDs eagerly signed up.

In the end it's really loving simple, either you are against the Fash or you are the Fash and they are armed and trained. Make fun of their tactical bullshit all you want but the left is not prepared for street fighting, not when the cops are going to side with the Nazis.

Because if we can't stop them at the ballot box we're going to be fighting them in the streets and a lot of people are going to be hurt and killed if it comes down to that and it's not going to be people who deserve it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

It would be pretty hilarious to see someone detained by police outside their home while a guy in a Samsung uniform replaces their gas stove with an electric.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dht_3NziwSw

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Nuke it all from Orbit..reform the circuits then have each circuit send a judge on a term limit. Bing bang boom. No incumbents, no masters, at least a somewhat functional judiciary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skex posted:

Because if we can't stop them at the ballot box we're going to be fighting them in the streets and a lot of people are going to be hurt and killed if it comes down to that and it's not going to be people who deserve it.

This is already happening, and has been for a long time. And the people going 'Vote Blue No Matter Who' have not been making impressive contributions to it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is already happening, and has been for a long time. And the people going 'Vote Blue No Matter Who' have not been making impressive contributions to it.

You might recall that a few years ago Americans voted the fascists out of office, they attempted to seize power via a mob that faced zero opposition from leftist street fighters, and it was completely unsuccessful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

James Garfield posted:

You might recall that a few years ago Americans voted the fascists out of office, they attempted to seize power via a mob that faced zero opposition from leftist street fighters, and it was completely unsuccessful.
This is mostly because fascists are super incompetent

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is mostly because fascists are super incompetent

Also because physically seizing the capitol doesn't really matter that much in terms of power. Like what was going to happen, they sit in the senate and say olly olly oxen free and now they control everything? It made for a big spectacle, but ultimately it never could have been an actual threat.

So yeah, kind of weird to blame it on leftists not wanting to put their lives on the line for a bunch of politicians.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd love to hear who the ones who saved democracy on that day were? The cops who opened the gates for them?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fister Roboto posted:

Also because physically seizing the capitol doesn't really matter that much in terms of power. Like what was going to happen, they sit in the senate and say olly olly oxen free and now they control everything? It made for a big spectacle, but ultimately it never could have been an actual threat.

So yeah, kind of weird to blame it on leftists not wanting to put their lives on the line for a bunch of politicians.

I mean to be fair had they actually managed to get their hands on some politicians, things could have looked a little different. And there were some MAGA pols who have at this point been caught dead to rights as being in the loop. I still don't think the people who were actually there had any plan, and I'm not sure how many of them would have gone through with violence had they the opportunity. And I don't think even a couple collaborators in government would have made the coup successful.

That said, I'm not sure where leftist street fighters would have come into play. They typically put themselves on the line for women at abortion clinics, transfolk, and other marginalized groups involved in protests. They don't work security for congress.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gyges posted:

While it's true that the Florida Legislature is made up almost exclusively by craven bootlickers, it's also true that DeSantis is a chickenshit coward of a bully. Without having the safety net of still being governor, it's very likely he wouldn't actually run. So all the favors that the lickspittle legislators have banked loving with Disney will be worth nothing at all, if Puddin Fingers just bows out.

Given the available options, Candidate Governor Meatball is the best option to at least reduce the trips to Tallahassee for near ritual abusive rubber-stamping.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd love to hear who the ones who saved democracy on that day were? The cops who opened the gates for them?

Ironically, democracy was saved by the same people who instigated the coup. By cultivating brain broken people they ensured nobody without the brain worms would join in.

If Q hadn't broken brains to the point the followers were isolated from friends and family they might have roped in a bigger group, or at least been more sympathetic to the public. However, by the time the MAGA Legion stormed the capital they'd already driven their relatives and friends to see them as unhinged wakos.

They had Disney Legal's curiosity, now they have their attention.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 29, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

Obviously it's not the leftists' fault for not fighting the mob in the street, they collectively made the right decision not to oppose it. It would have been much worse if there had been leftist street fighters present (and at least some of the organizers were clearly trying to make that happen). But the leftist street fighters weren't an important part of stopping it, since it was stopped without their help and it would have been worse if they had been there.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure it's useful to identify who personally saved democracy, but I don't think it's controversial to say that the coup attempt failed or that leftist street fighters were not why it failed (except that they indirectly hindered it by not showing up to fight it).

edit:

Professor Beetus posted:

That said, I'm not sure where leftist street fighters would have come into play. They typically put themselves on the line for women at abortion clinics, transfolk, and other marginalized groups involved in protests. They don't work security for congress.

It wouldn't be the first time that Proud Boys marched somewhere and then incited violence when counterprotesters showed up e.g.
Searching for "proud boys clash" will find plenty of incidents.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 29, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Disney needs to be taken down a peg sure as do all big corps, but not like this, this is just stupid and will give them more power.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Fister Roboto posted:

I dunno about saying it "never could have been an actual threat". A few more smart / violent people in the wrong place and things could have gotten very bad.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skex posted:

Because if we can't stop them at the ballot box we're going to be fighting them in the streets

Ah, drat, streetfighting it is. If only I'd been more sanctimonious!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Randalor posted:

So I wonder which state is going to welcome Disney World 2.0, and all that sweet, sweet tourism money it brings with it, with open arms?

Disney is an evil capitalist hive of scum so i don't want to sound supportive of them.....but having said that, Disney would coup the Florida state government before moving to another state.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Disney is an evil capitalist hive of scum so i don't want to sound supportive of them.....but having said that, Disney would coup the Florida state government before moving to another state.

I'm down for it, if we're gonna have the dumbest possible cyberpunk apocalypse let's at least have a proper corpo-state.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm down for it, if we're gonna have the dumbest possible cyberpunk apocalypse let's at least have a proper corpo-state.

Disney is (was?) sanctioned to build a nuclear power plant in FL, which is a hop skip and a jump away from self-sovereignty under MAD.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Even accounting for sweetheart tax deals, it's unlikely they'll ever get another state quite as stupid as Florida giving them their own fiefdom

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jaxyon posted:

Even accounting for sweetheart tax deals, it's unlikely they'll ever get another state quite as stupid as Florida giving them their own fiefdom

Disney bought up a huge as gently caress plot of swamp land back when only 5 million people lived there. At the time only about 40% of the humid rear end sandbar had AC. Of course the state was going to let them run loose, just about any US State would have in similar circumstances. You want control over an empty swamp? Sure, knock yourself out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

socialsecurity posted:

Disney needs to be taken down a peg sure as do all big corps, but not like this, this is just stupid and will give them more power.

What Desantis seems to be doing isn't taking Disney down a peg, it's just making a series of terrible and illegal business decisions in the name of wanting to be as openly transphobic and homophobic as possible.

That said, it's kind of a bummer that what's probably going to ruin Desantis's career is him trying to gently caress with a huge corporations ability to make money and not that time he literally engaged in human trafficking for a pointless political stunt: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/02/...%20immigration.

Like, gently caress Desantis and I hope bad things happen to him because he sucks and shouldn't be in a position of power, but the fact that he was able to do something like this and not immediately be arrested seems like a sign of some major systematic flaws in our justice system that extend way beyond him as an individual.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Leftist street fighters' at Jan 6 would just be a target the fascists and cops can team up against. Why intervene when you enemies are infighting?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What Desantis seems to be doing isn't taking Disney down a peg, it's just making a series of terrible and illegal business decisions in the name of wanting to be as openly transphobic and homophobic as possible.

That said, it's kind of a bummer that what's probably going to ruin Desantis's career is him trying to gently caress with a huge corporations ability to make money and not that time he literally engaged in human trafficking for a pointless political stunt: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/02/...%20immigration.

Like, gently caress Desantis and I hope bad things happen to him because he sucks and shouldn't be in a position of power, but the fact that he was able to do something like this and not immediately be arrested seems like a sign of some major systematic flaws in our justice system that extend way beyond him as an individual.

That's pretty much true for everything he's done in office. Like, remember the time he intentionally tricked felons into illegally voting so he could then have video taped arrests? It's just a string of weird as gently caress bullying antics for PR stunts. It's equal parts sad and hilarious that the one act of bullying that finally blew up in his face, is the time he got complacent and decided to gently caress with a huge multinational corporation known for their soulless legal department.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It will be funny and surreal if Trump is found liable/convicted of something and still polls better than DeSantis.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
News wires are reporting the US Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is preparing to place First Republic Bank under receivership.

I recall reading multiple articles stating with clear facts that no further banks would be in danger and First Republic Bank specifically would be fully supported and have no further issues.

If you have money in that bank, get out. Get Out Now.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Leftist street fighters' at Jan 6 would just be a target the fascists and cops can team up against. Why intervene when you enemies are infighting?

I mean yeah that was not absolutely the place for leftist militants but you would hope that there was actual organized preparation for if the liberals end up doing a Hindenburg. Instead it seems largely spontaneous depending on whatever issue is debated. As opposed to the numerous very well-armed right-wing organizations that also weren't dumb enough to participate in obvious doomed effort. Like you could argue that the Nazis got way less close to the halls of power in their Putsch.

I mean at least there are liberals in military posts, right? Running local National Guards, poo poo like that?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Comstar posted:

News wires are reporting the US Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is preparing to place First Republic Bank under receivership.

I recall reading multiple articles stating with clear facts that no further banks would be in danger and First Republic Bank specifically would be fully supported and have no further issues.

The bolded part is wrong and it’s dumb as poo poo to panic people for no reason. FDIC is literally there so you don’t have to panic and participate in a bank run. Your money is 100% safe unless you have over $250k in your account there.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As sun tzu probably said on his youtube channel in 215 BCE, "Never interrupt your enemy when they are batbraining it so hard you can measure it in Taped Felonies Per Hour"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Comstar posted:

... why

Do you have some clear, shareable indication that, among other things, the fdic is inexplicably not going to apply and a panic bank run is mysteriously required here?