Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

wrong i posted an article from a guy with a bad* website format. likewise plenty of non-crazy looking cranks have non-crazy looking websites

*it's actually good. also jay hanson's websites all died in like the mid-2000s and those are repros. the originals back around peak oil 2005 and before were art https://web.archive.org/web/20040618005404/http://www.dieoff.org/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

https://web.archive.org/web/20040627074329/http://dieoff.org/page122.htm

articles archived with the gif and all

this is what a real fuckin jay hanson looks like

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

swenson doesn't have anywhere near that level of gif game. b-tier rear end crank

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
tf is this

help help i'm trapped in a web and can't perceive my way out

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

tf is this

That's what it is, you got it. As individuals we kinda do make decisions in a way but not really, but as a whole, we're like a fluid, and we move into the least resistance, maximising entropy. Free will is blah blah you get it

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Microplastics posted:

tf is this

https://cespa.uconn.edu/ if you're at all curious
https://cespa.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2363/2018/04/CESPA_brochure.pdf for the grad student pitch

note: i've never been to connecticutt. this is not an endorsement. these don't seem like the mk ultra psychologists but you still should not trust them

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Apr 28, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

https://cespa.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2363/2018/04/CESPA_brochure.pdf for the grad student pitch

note: i've never been to connecticutt. this is not an endorsement. these don't seem like the mk ultra psychologists but you still should not trust them

ecological psychology is decidedly non-mkultra, which is why the cia buried it and pumped representational research full of funding :colbert: this is an endorsement, and so is this.

surgicalontologist's old thread

adwkiwi's blog

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
As you'll see here, Your Honor, the equivalent of a 2001 era Dragonball Z Animated Gif website by a climate activist proves without a doubt that climate change can be mitigated

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Ruggan posted:

this sounds exactly what a crank would say

fair enough. I am 100% a crank.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Osv18 posted:

fair enough. I am 100% a crank.

I like to think I'm more of a lever, or maybe a gear.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I prefer cranking it

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Hubbert posted:

Correct. The world beyond 2050 is unimaginable to the modern perspective.

For the short version, see the following article: Life Circa 2050 Will Be Bad. Really Bad.

For the long version, here's the entirety of Chapter 7: Climate Change in the Twenty-First Century as lifted directly from To Govern The Globe: World Orders & Catastrophic Change (Alfred W. McCoy).

I enjoyed reading this, thank you

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hubbert posted:

Correct. The world beyond 2050 is unimaginable to the modern perspective.

For the short version, see the following article: Life Circa 2050 Will Be Bad. Really Bad.

For the long version, here's the entirety of Chapter 7: Climate Change in the Twenty-First Century as lifted directly from To Govern The Globe: World Orders & Catastrophic Change (Alfred W. McCoy).

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I like to think I'm more of a lever, or maybe a gear.

look at this guy, too fancy to be a wedge like the rest of us simple tools

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DarkLich posted:

the signal I see is that the current energy barons want to maintain dominance, and have something to gain by hydrogen fuel gaining traction. let me know if that's the wrong read tho

I understand that there will be hurdles to any true green energy, like the one you described. even if we've had advances in solar or wind or whatever, none of those advancements have led to the dismantling of existing dirty energy.

I'm still interested in the science or infrastructure that would be behind it; even if its doomed to perish against the political and capitalist machine

the department of energy has a series of entry-level articles on the subject

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I enjoyed reading this, thank you

And I enjoy sharing some of my research here in this lil' thread of ours from time to time. :kiddo:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What really makes it this thread is that that never happened but people pretend it did because it's funnier

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

you stay away from my posterior!!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

let's finnish the job

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MightyBigMinus posted:

the thing about the back half of these predictions/models (say beyond 2060) is that the absolute horror of the 40s and 50s will drive massive behavior/resource-usage change.

you can paint your hopes or fears into that, but at its core its a logistics constraint. crops will die. people will fight. BAU will not be going on in the 70s/80s/90s one way or the other. so its kinda pointless to talk about 3C or 5C at 2100. it gives the current situation too much credit for sustainability.

like, you don't have to believe the specific particulars of ministry for the future, but knowing what we know about how bad the 40s and 50s are going to be, I don't see how global oil tanker shipping, refineries, pipelines and lng ports survive. the needful will be done. even if far too late and just for vengance.

starkebn has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Apr 29, 2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
only thing i see on that graph is a whole lotta people getting laid starting in 20 years. just look at all that fuckin happening

so much sex

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

TehSaurus posted:

you stay away from my posterior!!

lmfao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Harik posted:

only thing i see on that graph is a whole lotta people getting laid starting in 20 years. just look at all that fuckin happening

so much sex

See I'm looking at the same graph as you but what I'm seeing is fascists in Western countries making contraceptives, birth control and family planning illegal while also destroying public education (which will also destroy female education almost entirely if all the private schools are religiously affiliated).

Not that much more loving, but a whole lot more misery.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
More fertility-reducing (and much much else!) PFAS proliferation

quote:

Firm releases almost 800kg of ‘forever chemical’ a year into Lancashire river
Exclusive: Environment Agency finds ‘very persistent, mobile and toxic’ PFAS in effluent legally discharged near Wyre estuary

A chemicals company is releasing large quantities of a “forever chemical” described as being “very persistent, mobile and toxic” into the River Wyre in Lancashire each year, and is not breaking any rules.

Earlier this year, the Guardian and Watershed Investigations revealed that effluent coming from the site of AGC Chemicals Europe in Thornton-Cleveleys could contain about 700 types of perfluorinated and polyfluorinated alkyl substances (PFAS).

PFAS is an umbrella term for thousands of human-made substances known as “forever chemicals” because they will not break down in the environment for thousands of years. Some are also known to be toxic and can accumulate in the human body.

The Environment Agency has now released its evaluation of a PFAS known as EEA-NH4 that was found in the effluent, and said it was “very persistent” and “mobile” in the environment, as well as “toxic” because it was classified as “reprotoxic category 2”, meaning there was evidence to suggest it could disrupt sexual function, fertility and development in humans.

Using data supplied by AGC Chemicals Europe, including monitoring data and effluent volumes released into the River Wyre, the agency estimated that an average of about 783kg of EEA-NH4 is discharged into the river each year.

The report highlights multiple gaps in knowledge, including whether, as with many PFAS, the substance builds up in humans and animals. “It is not possible to draw a conclusion on the bioaccumulation potential of EEA-NH4 in air-breathing organisms in the absence of data on the human clearance time or better predictive methods,” it states.

Prof Ian Cousins, an environmental chemist at Stockholm University, said: “EEA-NH4 is very persistent and mobile similar to GenX used by Chemours, which has been found in the Arctic, and it’s likely that EEA-NH4 will also be measured there as emissions continue. It will be transported by ocean currents, but even air emissions can result in long-range atmospheric transport.”

Dr David Megson, a senior lecturer in chemistry and environmental forensics at Manchester Metropolitan University, said the case highlighted “how we desperately need improved regulation and management of PFAS.

“Industry continues to innovate and develop new PFAS to replace those that have been banned. However, tougher regulations need to be put in place to ensure that these replacement chemicals are not also going to pose a risk to the environment and human health.

“This should not be at the detriment to industry, but we should use it as an opportunity for collaboration to develop safer sustainable replacements for PFAS.”

EEA-NH4 is just one of more than 10,000 chemicals classed as PFAS and currently there are only restrictions on the manufacture and use of two – perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) – because they have been studied closely and linked with a range of diseases including cancers and thyroid problems.

AGC Chemicals Europe, which produces polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and ethylene-tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE), said it “has never used PFOS, and PFOA was voluntarily phased out over a decade ago”.

In 2022, Watershed Investigations found discharges of 12,000 nanograms a litre of PFOA to the Wyre estuary coming from the site where AGC Chemicals is based. AGC said it did not use or manufacture PFOA, and that any PFOA in the effluent may have come from historical usage at the site. AGC’s discharge is not illegal.

Studies have also shown that some PFAS can disrupt normal reproductive function in women through altering hormone secretion, the menstrual cycle, and fertility, but any effects of the emissions of thousands of other PFAS remain a mystery.

Cousins said: “We know little about the consequences of the releases of the hundreds of other PFAS because we only understand the toxicities, and other properties, of a few PFAS.”

The spokesperson added that AGC Chemicals Europe “continues to work closely with the Environment Agency to ensure regular assessment of the substances we use”.

Reassuring

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I'm sorry for posting that, as knowing about it is probably going to upset a few people. Let's have a multipage discussion about the value of knowing and posting distressing things

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Pepsi should start bottling a Topo Chico competitor from the River Wyre

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
Happy 425.01 ppm Day

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1652318069086367744

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cuttlefush posted:

I did my ChemE degree at uconn and it's a really good school in a beautiful part of the state :unsmith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jizzny Princess posted:

Happy 425.01 ppm Day

One day (soon) we'll hit 696.969ppm and climate scientists the world over will crack ping in unison: "NO, IT'S NOT 'NICE!'" :aaa:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I baked and consumed a tray of pot brownies on the day we reached 420.69

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

I baked and consumed a tray of pot brownies on the day we reached 420.69

Finally, somebody did something!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

4d3d3d posted:

I'm sorry for posting that, as knowing about it is probably going to upset a few people. Let's have a multipage discussion about the value of knowing and posting distressing things

it would be too distressing acknowledging it or even talking about the sources that posted it so I am going to instead have a multipage discussion about interpretations of individual words in what you posted

So when you post a report that says “EEA-NH4 is very persistent and mobile" we really need to take a look at the word "Mobile"

"Mobile" as I'm sure, to your doomer brain, makes it sound like the chemical is just going to reach every corner of the globe. Which is patently not the case.

It is very easy to prove that some areas of the earth will not be exposed to these chemicals. So my question is what do you get out of being worried about them? Why are you posting an unreasonably pessimistic take of the situation?

Also the writer of that article wrote a dumb article in the Clinton administration. Checkmate.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

HazCat posted:

See I'm looking at the same graph as you but what I'm seeing is fascists in Western countries making contraceptives, birth control and family planning illegal while also destroying public education (which will also destroy female education almost entirely if all the private schools are religiously affiliated).

I think you’re right about the fascists here. Except that with all the PFAS loving up our gonads we’re in the children of men timeline. it’s possible that some people’s fertility won’t be as vulnerable to the forever chemicals in which case I bet we’re get a cool (ed note: not actually very cool) handmaids tale crossover.

:v:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

HazCat posted:

Hmm, sounds like those fascists are just fighting those DAMNED ECOFASCISTS who advocate for population decline through contraception, family planning, public education, and the empowerment of women ...

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

croup coughfield posted:

im glad someone asked! the capitalist form of military-industrialism, narrowly focused as it is on short-term profits, has already caused millions of deaths and have created conditions that will kill millions or perhaps billions more. as individuals, its patently impossible for us to mitigate these effects for ourselves and our loved ones, much less the earth as a whole. a great deal of the damage is permanent, and any mitigation of its effects on the biosphere and planetary systems generally will require tremendous amounts of effort coordinated by a coalition of powers willing to directly confront and dismantle bourgeois forces and cooperate toward long-term goals. i think the thread and i are generally in agreement on this.

where i think we part ways - and why i refer to this and similar threads as doomerist - is that i hold that this is not only possible, but happening. american hegemony, the festering heart of bourgeois rule, is on the wane. a new world order is being decided right now. assuming the transition of power avoids nuclear annihilation, the aforementioned coalition that already exists will have more freedom to act. the faster america and its own gang of blood drinkers and wealthy sycophants are destabilized and disempowered, the better the overall picture of the far future looks.

if you live in the west and you believe yourself to be invested in the conflict regarding climate destruction, you have an obligation to involve yourself in that struggle as a part of an organized front. it is not helpful or moral to spend every day reading and internalizing the day's new minutiae of horror. thats protestant self-flagellation, the cult of raising awareness. this frustrates me a great deal as a political organizer. what i want from this thread is the same as i want from every thread in cspam: go outside. get organized, get involved. devote yourself toward undermining bourgeois rule and creating self-propagating institutions to empower and protect workers.

it is not sufficient to stop at "being informed", no matter how much knowledge you gain. if you feel strongly about the death of the planet and remain at home posting about it and nothing else, you are bitch made and will be my servant in the afterlife.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the boomers were about the age millennia's are now in the 70s when they decided "eh gently caress it i'll just do me"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MightyBigMinus posted:

the boomers were about the age millennia's are now in the 70s when they decided "eh gently caress it i'll just do me"

millennial trump 2024 landslide

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MightyBigMinus posted:

Or, as the Prophet Carlin put it: "I'm getting tired of hearing about Boomers. Whiny, narcissistic, self-indulgent people with a simple philosophy: 'GIMME IT, IT'S MINE!' 'GIMME THAT, IT'S MINE!' These people were given everything. Everything was handed to them. And they took it all: sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and they stayed loaded for 20 years and had a free ride."

mawarannahr posted:

millennial trump 2024 landslide

Trump's 50-65yo base are just really pissed off that they didn't get to fully enjoy the 70s/80s. The 70s/80s are the new 40s/50s "when America was still America :patriot:" nostalgia decades. The TL;DR being "back when houses were still affordable, minorities both racial and sexual still ~knew their place~, people shat out styrofoam without any hippie libs indicting them for war crimes against the planet, we drank liquid Teflon and shut the gently caress up about the cancer it gave us, and gas dun cost 50 cents a gallon, dagnabbit."

In other words: :jerkbag:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Apr 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it would be too distressing acknowledging it or even talking about the sources that posted it so I am going to instead have a multipage discussion about interpretations of individual words in what you posted

So when you post a report that says “EEA-NH4 is very persistent and mobile" we really need to take a look at the word "Mobile"

"Mobile" as I'm sure, to your doomer brain, makes it sound like the chemical is just going to reach every corner of the globe. Which is patently not the case.

It is very easy to prove that some areas of the earth will not be exposed to these chemicals. So my question is what do you get out of being worried about them? Why are you posting an unreasonably pessimistic take of the situation?

Also the writer of that article wrote a dumb article in the Clinton administration. Checkmate.

I love blade runner 2049