Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Any idea which monsters will be leaving? I'm not sure exactly what is in the Tome of Horrors and a quick google hasn't proved particularly useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

FishFood posted:

Any idea which monsters will be leaving? I'm not sure exactly what is in the Tome of Horrors and a quick google hasn't proved particularly useful.

The bestiary creatures that come from the Tome Of Horrors are:

Guardian Daemon
Dark Creeper
Dark Stalker
Faerie Dragon
Marid Genie
Mite

and in Bestiary 2:

Angel, Monadic Deva
Angel, Movanic Deva
Aurumvorax
Basidirond
Blindheim
Carbuncle
Cave Fisher
Daemon, Derghodaemon
Daemon, Piscodaemon
Dark Creeper
Dark Stalker
Demon, Nabasu
Demon, Shadow
Dracolisk
Froghemoth
Genie, Marid
Grippli
Korred
Necrophidius
Nereid
Quickling
Quickwood
Scythe Tree
Skulk
Soul Eater
Troll, Two-Headed
Yellow Musk Creeper
Yellow Musk Zombie

Don't have b3 to hand, sorry.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Should also be said that Frog God Games and Necromancer Games are both signed up to do stuff under ORC, so may very well have a more compatible version of the Tome pretty quick.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Interesting, it's not as catastrophic as I was worried about. I'll be sad to see the Froghemoth go, but most of the others seem relatively easily replaceable or renameable.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Only one from Tome of Horrors listed in B3 is Flumph

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

FishFood posted:

Interesting, it's not as catastrophic as I was worried about. I'll be sad to see the Froghemoth go, but most of the others seem relatively easily replaceable or renameable.

You can still use the Froghemeth, and any of the others. They just won't be in any future publications.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

3 Action Economist posted:

You can still use the Froghemeth, and any of the others. They just won't be in any future publications.

I know, and I'm overall very positive about this: I'm glad this is giving them the opportunity to tweak a few things and also move over to ORC. I'm just a little bummed we might not see a couple of the cool nostalgia-y monsters in future books, but it's a pretty minor casualty of a move I'm actually pretty excited about.

Now here's hoping the new Alchemist is better than the current incarnation!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

bagrada posted:

my oracle has 2 first level spell slots for heal/bless I'll save for emergency heals. Hopefully we don't get crit as much as we did in the beginner box, those dice were swingy as hell.

In going to strongly suggest taking magic weapon instead of bless. You can retrain it for free when you level up. It is the best spell at level one by a huge margin.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Lamuella posted:

and in Bestiary 2:

Dark Creeper
Dark Stalker

I wonder if the Dark Creeper/Stalker were the first things to kick off the Caligni as a whole.

To the question about Bestiary 3, the Flumph is the only thing there that's from the Tome of Horrors (going off of the OGL disclaimer page).
Edit: Dang, beaten.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

No specific adventure spoilers, please, but how did it go if you played? We had our sort of session 0 last night where the GM opened up Foundry and helped us import our characters. We ended up each taking one of the deviant backgrounds. No free archtype but the GM gave us two starting ancestry feats instead of one.

We're going in with:
half-orc liberator of Apsu, shield tank with a scorpion whip, total power background
half-elf psychic, telekinetic with imaginary weapons and thievery skill, sense of belonging background
elf precision ranger, gambler with thievery skill, wishes for riches background
elf cosmos oracle, lost loved one background
deep gnome animalistic totem bearbarian, wanderlust background

Worrying a bit about heals. The barbarian has medicine skill and excelled at it during the beginner box. Liberator has lay hands, my oracle has 2 first level spell slots for heal/bless I'll save for emergency heals. Hopefully we don't get crit as much as we did in the beginner box, those dice were swingy as hell.

We're going to start the adventure proper tomorrow night if all goes well.

Two of the other players couldn't make it, so our initial team was:
Thaumaturge, melee based with the scroll feat and the lost loved ones background (my character)
Investigator, ranged and with the healing subclass
Magus, ranged

We roleplayed for a while in the first area, and we only got into one combat which went well for the most part. Our investigator didn't roll well, and I don't think they totally knew how to utilize Devise a Stratagem. We talked after on Discord, so I think they'll be more effective next time out. My Thaumaturge and the Magus both did solid damage. I think we'll need to be clever with positioning and try to spread out hits within the group, but we were able to put a good amount of damage quickly.

Level 1 will likely be the scariest since we're planning on using the Free Archetype rule. I was planning on taking Champion which will give me heavy armor, and eventually Lay on Hands. Between combat healing with the Investigator, healing scrolls that I'll be able to use, and eventually Lay on Hands that hopefully will be enough healing to get through tough encounters, but we'll see.

We didn't finish the first chapter, so I'll see what the next session brings.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1652705879186366464?s=46&t=NFErRWv0BS_srQ6-QEaKwQ

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress yes. If it's in the vein of Kingmaker/Wrath of the Righteous with 2e rules that could be very good.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That is extremely cool.

Though I’ve not played any of Bkom’s games, so who knows what the quality will be.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2023

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Yeah, who knows if it's going to have the same vein of madness that kingmaker/WotR had. But it would still be exciting as a PF2E video game proof of concept.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CottonWolf posted:

That is extremely cool.

Though I’ve played any of Bkom’s games, so who knows what the quality will be.

It seems the closest thing to what an AV game might look like that they've done before was an adaptation of the Tomb of Annihilation board game.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, abomination vaults is a big dungeon , so probably not too much roleplaying, just a big dungeon delve.

It'll be great just to bring PF2 into videogames, but if they get enough build customization in there and translate the mechanics basically the same, it can't be anything but good fun.

I doubt Paizo would allow anything but a recreation of the rules so I'm very hopeful. Too bad it'll be a Kickstarter which probably means at least 2 years away from a full game

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Here's what the devs' previous game looks like:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1969440/Sunday_Gold/

It looks decent.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

We didn't finish the first chapter, so I'll see what the next session brings.

We had our start last night and after some roleplaying and info gathering we had a classic "good intentions escalate to murder-hoboing".

I don't think I need to do this but just in case, vague spoilers for how we resolved the very first Gatewalkers "quest" our contact gave us:

We had a plan for a stealth mission then our psychic powered up his glowing mage armor in full view which aroused suspicion. Our champion immediately walked right up to their faces to distract them and screwed up his diplomacy check, then I flubbed my deception check trying to bail him out, and we rolled initiative. We were mostly trying to just delay them while our psychic zoomed past them and did the mission. A highlight was the ranger at one of the fruit stands chucking apples at them with improvised weapon, occasionally taking a bite. I also like when the champion disarmed one of them and I yoinked his fallen weapon away with my ghostly grasp only for him to yell "Give me back my staff!" and start blasting at me with spells.

Then our originally planned distraction came back around when she heard the commotion and gleefully decapitated one of the guards with some high damage rolls, taking his bloody helmet as a trophy (as soon as the DM showed us the picture earlier she said "I'm getting me one of those."). The other got crit by a trip attempt and died to the falling damage. We then realized we'd killed both of them in broad daylight with an audience and made ourselves scarce with our psychic having finished the mission.

Then our next mission was to walk right into their HQ where everyone was on edge mourning the deceased and looking for their murderers. Thankfully we apparently rolled well both overtly and with some hidden rolls, and had convinced the barbarian to hide her new helmet away. We were back on track after that and called it a night after the next encounter.

I'm terrible at ad lib and today I thought of a few good character moments I could have done. That should get better with experience too and I should write them down for later use.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

gently caress yes. If it's in the vein of Kingmaker/Wrath of the Righteous with 2e rules that could be very good.

The first glance looks like it's gonna be a Diablo-style hack and slash ARPG. Not really my thing personally.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nooooo. Why? Why would you make an action RPG? 2e is RIGHT THERE!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnCIYR5-_KA

Goddamnit. :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Amiri again? Ugh.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
On the one hand, definitely not what I was hoping for.

On the other, my wife loves Diablo/Torchlight/etc... so if there's coop I'll enjoy playing through it with her.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rescue Toaster posted:

On the one hand, definitely not what I was hoping for.

On the other, my wife loves Diablo/Torchlight/etc... so if there's coop I'll enjoy playing through it with her.

Yeah, like, doing Vaults as a classic dungeon crawl diablo-like, with the various iconics as playables, is a legitimately neat and cool and good idea that can work very well.

But, goddamn it I want my Pf2e videogame to do tactics simulator and charop shenanigans in!!!!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah, like, doing Vaults as a classic dungeon crawl diablo-like, with the various iconics as playables, is a legitimately neat and cool and good idea that can work very well.

But, goddamn it I want my Pf2e videogame to do tactics simulator and charop shenanigans in!!!!

That's pretty much how I feel about it right now. AV definitely has some diablo influences so it makes sense to make a diablo-like based on the module and it could end up being a pretty good game.

I would still vastly prefer a game that embraces PF2E's core design though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. It’s not a bad fit, it’s just not what I wanted, at all.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'd imagine if they were going to do a 2e ruleset in a crpg they'd give Owlcat first bite of the cherry, and it looks like Owlcat are still putting out dlc for Wrath of the Righteous, so we might be a while.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Well poo poo. I have no interest in Diablo-style ARPGs whatsoever, especially when there’s no proper 2e game out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Lamuella posted:

I'd imagine if they were going to do a 2e ruleset in a crpg they'd give Owlcat first bite of the cherry, and it looks like Owlcat are still putting out dlc for Wrath of the Righteous, so we might be a while.

Owlcat has said they don't have any interest in a 2e game, I think. I know I read it somewhere somewhat reliable.

And they're currently working on Rogue Trader anyway.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lamuella posted:

Perhaps. They might well be too busy with that 40K money now.

Either way, with the licensing stuff going on over on the tabletop side, we’re almost certainly not going to see any new 1e games.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've started pre-running encounters with my own custom party because my brain fog makes it hard to tell how to run monsters just by reading through them.

Foundry has enough automation that if you pick well supported classes it is pretty easy to run four adventurers and monsters simultaneously.

I think it has helped me do a better job once the players get around the table. It also took away some of the sting of this announcement since I'm already running AV solo and it is pretty fun. I'm not sure a computer game would be much better, based on my experience playing Gloomhaven on TTS vs the computer game version.

I've played enough lovely arpgs to have zero interest in this kickstarter. For every good game in that genre there are dozens of bad ones.

edit: I'll play it after it's released if it turns out good. I'm just really skeptical of arpgs and kickstarter.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 1, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3 Action Economist posted:

Owlcat has said they don't have any interest in a 2e game, I think. I know I read it somewhere somewhat reliable.

And they're currently working on Rogue Trader anyway.

Owlcat was always pretty clearly into the 3.5 optimization culture, which was why they did the Pathfinder 1e games. It makes sense they wouldn't be into Pathfinder 2e, which really doesn't play like that at all.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004
Well, that video has killed all my excitement about that :(

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've started pre-running encounters with my own custom party because my brain fog makes it hard to tell how to run monsters just by reading through them.

Foundry has enough automation that if you pick well supported classes it is pretty easy to run four adventurers and monsters simultaneously.

I think it has helped me do a better job once the players get around the table. It also took away some of the sting of this announcement since I'm already running AV solo and it is pretty fun. I'm not sure a computer game would be much better, based on my experience playing Gloomhaven on TTS vs the computer game version.

This is a great idea, and I'm going to steal it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aw. I mean I'm not *un*happy with it, I'll play it if it's on sale, but like... yeah this isn't what I hoped for and I won't be backing it. No disrespect though.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah this exactly. I wanted a little character building lab to see if something would function at a table

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

It's cool if by the time this kickstarted game hits PCs someone somewhere is almost done with a good 2e adventure pack owlcat/bg3/solasta style. tough ask these days but they should know with Owlcat diverting and not coming back soon if at all that they are leaving money in the table.

I'm disappointed Rise of the Runelords and Curse of the Crimson Throne are the only APs that seem to have gotten pocket compilations. Both are fascinating to flip through and I'd love a bigger collection.

Edit: for anyone that played RotR, whether when it was new or recently, how long did it take? So many cool set pieces.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Something BG3 scale seems unrealistic, but there’s no reason 2e couldn’t get a Solasta/Owlcat scale game. The question is, who’d make it? There aren’t many CRPG studios that aren’t a) already tied up in multi year projects or b) owned by Microsoft.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Wrapped up the adventure path where you make the trade deal with the lizardfolk, I forget the name, where I was playing a small size leshy fighter/cavalier on the back of a medium size pony. It was lots of fun and I'm surprised how well the mounted joust mechanics work considering how awkwardly they're presented in the rules. Felt good blasting my lil plant knight across the battlefield to lance badguys. Starting up Abomination Vaults now with an android thaumaturge. Their gimmick is that they're a Starfinder android abolitionist who accidentally went back in time because of something something star trek style bullshit. All their abilities are appropriately flavored as high tech gadgetry from the future that they desperately try to keep working. It's been fun basically treating Pathfinder as if you're role-playing through Army of Darkness.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if all the non original Demons and Devils are going away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Wrapped up the adventure path where you make the trade deal with the lizardfolk, I forget the name, where I was playing a small size leshy fighter/cavalier on the back of a medium size pony. It was lots of fun and I'm surprised how well the mounted joust mechanics work considering how awkwardly they're presented in the rules. Felt good blasting my lil plant knight across the battlefield to lance badguys. Starting up Abomination Vaults now with an android thaumaturge. Their gimmick is that they're a Starfinder android abolitionist who accidentally went back in time because of something something star trek style bullshit. All their abilities are appropriately flavored as high tech gadgetry from the future that they desperately try to keep working. It's been fun basically treating Pathfinder as if you're role-playing through Army of Darkness.

weirdly, small jousters do tend to work better than medium jousters because of the rule about 'tall' vs 'long' sizes and how reach weapons shrink when mounted