Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Its said that Vikar flew too close to the sun and while he was flying back down to earth in a ball of fire, he shouted out one last final thing

"Ps5 showcase in may"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Even by CE standards it's kind of wtf. $250 for a 7 inch tall mech toy and some stickers and a small art book. $450 to add a parking garage for the mech toy. Usually in the $200 range you get something big like a helmet or a baby in a jar. That mech looks cool but it's looks like something you'd be able to buy for under $30.

Well, you could always just buy a few $1000 2LOU bookends :psyduck:

https://kotaku.com/last-of-us-part-ii-ellie-abby-statue-the-confrontation-1850387763

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Its said that Vikar flew too close to the sun and while he was flying back down to earth in a ball of fire, he shouted out one last final thing

"Ps5 showcase in may"

:patriot:

firewalker
Aug 7, 2008

I just know my broken brain will want to hunt down all those collectibles...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really vibing on Forbidden West atm. I just kind of ditched the DLC for now to clean up some side stuff I skipped in the main game. I still have my issues with it but the game is still a lot of fun and looks amazing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

veni veni veni posted:

Really vibing on Forbidden West atm. I just kind of ditched the DLC for now to clean up some side stuff I skipped in the main game. I still have my issues with it but the game is still a lot of fun and looks amazing.

Isn't it, though? I got through the DLC storyline up to the last mission, and I've been putting it off because I still want to spend more time in this amazing world. I spent my last session just bimbling around the map, getting Greenshine bits to max out my Hunter's Bow and doing all the Rebel Camps (which were bugged when I played the main game but are apparently fixed now). The combat just doesn't get old -- and I'm probably a more boring player than most, I'm using the Hunter Bow or Sharpshot Bow 90% of the time, but it just feels so amazing to dial in a shot with the gyro aim and blast a robot right in the weak spot. Or the sick thunk when you headshot one of the rebels.

I always say this, but it just kills me that this game got overshadowed so quickly.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I was bebopping through the DLC and realized I only had a few trophies missing for the platinum, so I went out of my way and mopped those up.

Forbidden West is fun. drat gorgeous too. I understand the complaints of over-saturating the gear and weapons systems but it’s pretty viable to just find your play style and focus on upgrading the gear you do like. I think it’s just overwhelming seeing all the options and wondering to yourself if you’re “playing it right”

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Why does every game need to be a giant, open world monstrosity?

Eh, in this it's a pretty well-designed extra-sized Metroidvania more than open-world. Level design is closer to the crater in Ragnarok but bigger? The Prince of Persia styled platforming to explore is done much better than the in the first game too. You aren't running through bland expanses toward icons for the next bit of actual gameplay like most open worlds, it's all nicely crafted.

I don't see why you'd complain about a game being large if its size was due to a large amount of well-designed content rather than bland padding.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's very funny how many Elden Ring mechanics the Jedi game has. Also huge difference in image quality between 60fps and 30. As usual 30 is unplayable though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

bows1 posted:

I dunno jack poo poo about Armored Core, but hearing the game director was the same guy who did Sekiro, and it inspired the combat for Mechiro, makes me very excited. Sekiro is my fav game ever.

I'm super excited about the dedicated melee boost button. When they said how it'd be more melee combat focused I was wondering how that would even work as in previous games it was very hard to hit moving ACs.

I bet once you get a lock you'll be able to boost in and go for a strike, and didn't melee weapon types will need different defensive options.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Phenotype posted:

Isn't it, though? I got through the DLC storyline up to the last mission, and I've been putting it off because I still want to spend more time in this amazing world. I spent my last session just bimbling around the map, getting Greenshine bits to max out my Hunter's Bow and doing all the Rebel Camps (which were bugged when I played the main game but are apparently fixed now). The combat just doesn't get old -- and I'm probably a more boring player than most, I'm using the Hunter Bow or Sharpshot Bow 90% of the time, but it just feels so amazing to dial in a shot with the gyro aim and blast a robot right in the weak spot. Or the sick thunk when you headshot one of the rebels.

I always say this, but it just kills me that this game got overshadowed so quickly.

It didn’t get overshadowed for me! Most games I’ve played since have paled in comparison to it. It’s such a strong package all around. I’m really looking forward to jumping back into it + tackling Burning Shores.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chump change. 6k USD Dante Jacket is still the most expensive stupid collector poo poo I've seen.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Got to the second stage of Jedi survivor and it’s finally running at a stable 60. It might have been better to change over to quality mode when fighting the first boss cause the frame rate tanks so often.

The game is really good looking, the cutscenes look just as good if not better than most star wars media.

Took me a while to get the parry timing (playing on second hardest ‘Jedi Master’) but I finally got it down and it’s s ton of fun. So far I have three Jedi stances and since they lock in special abilities it’s actually meaningful which you choose to have equipped which is nice it’s not completely superfluous.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Got to the second stage of Jedi survivor and it’s finally running at a stable 60. It might have been better to change over to quality mode when fighting the first boss cause the frame rate tanks so often.

The game is really good looking, the cutscenes look just as good if not better than most star wars media.

Took me a while to get the parry timing (playing on second hardest ‘Jedi Master’) but I finally got it down and it’s s ton of fun. So far I have three Jedi stances and since they lock in special abilities it’s actually meaningful which you choose to have equipped which is nice it’s not completely superfluous.

Yeah, I went with quality mode since I’m playing mostly for the exploration and visuals, and once you get used to 30fps it’s fine. It does drop below 30 during exploration, especially when there are a lot of alpha textures, but so far it runs solid during combat areas and it’s never Blighttown levels of choppiness or anything. From what I’ve seen, the 30fps is a more consistent frame rate than the 60fps mode, and I prefer consistency to high upper peaks.

I’m on the fourth major area and am loving it. Performance aside I don’t really have any significant complaints. I really like how the story is paces. There’s enough there to give you context and motivation, but never anything so long as to spoil the pace. Mostly you have long stretches of free uninterrupted gameplay. And your protagonist doesn’t loving spoil puzzles unless you ask them to.

And the new stances are so much dumb fun. Cal with a blaster is such an rear end in a top hat.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 29, 2023

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

They forgot the rope burn around her neck :lofty:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah I found it got a lot better in the second bit. My performance was atrocious before, but a reboot completely fixed it. Assume there's memory leak and stuff going on with it. I think sometimes booting up and playing from rest mode affects performance too but not sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

They forgot the rope burn around her neck :lofty:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

bows1 posted:

I dunno jack poo poo about Armored Core, but hearing the game director was the same guy who did Sekiro, and it inspired the combat for Mechiro, makes me very excited. Sekiro is my fav game ever.

same. hope we get the mechiri counter

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Have to hand it to the guy from IGN, I might’ve died from embarrassment on the spot as soon as I said ‘soulsborne’ to Miyazaki-san

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol, I see so many people tripping over themselves and desperate to hope Armored Core VI is just Dark Souls with giant mechs. FROM Software has a very diverse library of action games, and RPGs that go way beyond Dark Souls. Their PS2 and PS3/360 era games are arguably better than anything they've released over the last 10 years, but most of their fanbase wasn't around for that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Okay, but that just means it’s closer to a Sekiro-like, right?

I said come in! posted:

Their PS2 and PS3/360 era games are arguably better than anything they've released over the last 10 years

Uh, I guess you could argue that. It would be a very stupid argument, but you could do it.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 29, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Okay, but that just means it’s closer to a Sekiro-like, right?

Uh, I guess you could argue that. It would be a very stupid argument, but you could do it.

Nah, it would be factually correct. The Souls series is the worst thing to happen to FROM, because it meant they stopped making creative games, now they just follow a formula.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Okay, you’re committing to that. Well, I’m glad such batshit opinions exist. Keeps the world interesting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Nah, it would be factually correct. The Souls series is the worst thing to happen to FROM, because it meant they stopped making creative games, now they just follow a formula.

oof

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Have to hand it to the guy from IGN, I might’ve died from embarrassment on the spot as soon as I said ‘soulsborne’ to Miyazaki-san

lol

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I said come in! posted:

I love this. Poor, dumbass FROM.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E: dumb post

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 29, 2023

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I said come in! posted:

do you mean the widely popular, critically acclaimed series that gave them global recognition, cemented them as the best game developer in the business and allowed them to substantially grow their studio? yes, I would hate for that to happen to me as a development studio

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I don't even care about them as a studio, but you obviously chase success. Goddamn.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eh you could argue that for fans of their non-souls output it’s been a lovely time because that’s all they’ve done for the last 10 years but that’s as far as you could go with it without sounding silly.

For FROM themselves it’s obviously a good thing and I’m excited to see what they can do with AC now they’ve got the benefits of being a much higher profile studio.

And even as a proven soulsborne hater I don’t see how anyone could call them uncreative games, that’s just nutty.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Now that Miyazaki is the creative director and president of FROM, he has more control over the quality of the titles like AC.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Rival devs from across the street sending a robot Miyazaki into the From offices to try steal the secret formula for creating rich multimillion dollar franchises

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Soulioni Soulioni, show me the formuloni

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm guessing it will be divisive, just because so many people are going to buy it on developer name recognition alone without having actually ever played Armored Core. Youtube is full of reaction videos of 21 year olds losing it at the announcement and there is like, no way most of them have ever touched an AC game in their life lol. Some people will probably love it and others are going to be furious it isn't mech Souls no matter how clear Fromsoft is about it.

poo poo, even as someone who bought Armored Core 1 when it came out I have no idea what to expect. It looks good AF. I have no idea what to expect from AC made by From in 2023 vs. previous budget dev From entries though, because the series has been dead for so long. I'm not even sure I can say I am excited for the Armored Core brand as much as I am exited to see what they do with it now. it's not like the last couple of AC games were exactly stellar or anything. The main reason it's exciting is due to the hot streak From has been on for so long.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 29, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least 100+ indie dev studios are working on armored core games now. So I cant complain too much.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I said come in! posted:

At least 100+ indie dev studios are working on armored core games now. So I cant complain too much.

47 of them are doing it in Unity.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

after thinking about it some more, I think the actual worst thing to happen to FROM would be a piano dropping on poor Miyazaki-sama

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
no one ever talks about Otogi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fix posted:

47 of them are doing it in Unity.

so?