Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm picturing one of those interminable dialogue scenes with an overlaid text box and static detailed portraits that goes on for 3x as long as it has to, is it like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about the game, but from the steam page it looks like you can create weapons by combining cheesecake with bars of gold.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Now when you say "cheesecake", do you mean

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

Now when you say "cheesecake", do you mean

Looks like lemon flavor. You can also make a sword from strawberry shortcake and a macaroon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Immortality seems really cool and should be right up my alley, but I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing and it's not landing with me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Opopanax posted:

Immortality seems really cool and should be right up my alley, but I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing and it's not landing with me

I forgot I clicked on a games thread, and thought this was just a reasonable take on the concept in general

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot I clicked on a games thread, and thought this was just a reasonable take on the concept in general

lol

"It's been 200 years and I'm not sure if I 'get' it"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Immortality's initial concept of searching through BTS footage and production stills from old seedy exploitation films is very cool. Unfortunately, the second half descends into what I can only describe as a David Lynch film made by someone with a 75 IQ.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
F.I.S.T. : Forged In Shadow Torch is a Chinese metroidvania with a very silly name. It's a pretty typical example of the genre and competently made, but it has a small number of annoying design choices:

1. You can't scroll the screen, so quite often you're jumping blindly into traps or enemies simply because you had no way of knowing what was ahead. After playing Dead Cells, this feels awful.
2. Your health potions and your other consumables share one resource meter, so using any of the other items would take away one of your health potions. You don't want to do that. Health potions are just the best and most flexible option, always. After playing Dead Cells, this feels awful.
3. The combat is built around Dark Souls-style slow high-commitment close range combos, but the enemies aren't a great fit for it with their large health pools, unbreakable attacks and decent mobility. It gets needlessly frustrating, so I tend to use short combos or just avoid enemies entirely rather than engaging with the combat system the devs put a little of effort into. After playing Dead Cells, this feels awful.

...maybe playing Dead Cells has just made me too picky for other indie metroidvanias.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Speaking of, I just played Nine Years of Shadow. It's a Mexican metroidvania with an art style that I think is Saint Saiya inspired, I say as someone who has never watched or read any Saint Seiya media. Anyway, aside from the artstyle which is pretty neat, the game is mostly just "solid". But right before the end, the way your health works changes massively for the final 2 bosses. It's pretty annoying since they'd be a pretty big difficulty spike even without the change, but having to relearn your health management makes it a real slog.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Suleman posted:

3. The combat is built around Dark Souls-style slow high-commitment close range combos, but the enemies aren't a great fit for it with their large health pools, unbreakable attacks and decent mobility. It gets needlessly frustrating, so I tend to use short combos or just avoid enemies entirely rather than engaging with the combat system the devs put a little of effort into. After playing Dead Cells, this feels awful.

Yeah, you never need to explore the depths of its combat because the enemies just aren't designed with long combos in mind. Have you done the combo training yet? The timings on those get insane and you never need any of that when actually playing the game.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Sininu posted:

Yeah, you never need to explore the depths of its combat because the enemies just aren't designed with long combos in mind. Have you done the combo training yet? The timings on those get insane and you never need any of that when actually playing the game.

I haven't, and it sounds like I shouldn't bother.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Suleman posted:

I haven't, and it sounds like I shouldn't bother.

You have to do it if you want to get 100%, it has some upgrades and a powerful skill hidden behind it...
A skill that you don't really need, but still.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Immortality's initial concept of searching through BTS footage and production stills from old seedy exploitation films is very cool. Unfortunately, the second half descends into what I can only describe as a David Lynch film made by someone with a 75 IQ.

Yeah, the footage itself is fun and interesting enough, and when the mystery first creeps in it lands really well. But as it goes on it just way overstays its welcome. Doesn't help that the controls get a bit fiddly and annoying when you're trying to chase down those last few points of interest.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The biggest issue I had with Immortality was the random nature of it. Clicking on a flower takes you to a random scene with a flower, so there's a very good chance that there's a scene with a flower somewhere that you have never seen and won't unless you click on a flower a few dozen times or something. Can get frustrating if you're trying to hunt down all the footage, and I'm sure there could've been a better way to implement this (like giving unseen footage a slightly higher priority to be found).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morpheus posted:

The biggest issue I had with Immortality was the random nature of it. Clicking on a flower takes you to a random scene with a flower, so there's a very good chance that there's a scene with a flower somewhere that you have never seen and won't unless you click on a flower a few dozen times or something. Can get frustrating if you're trying to hunt down all the footage, and I'm sure there could've been a better way to implement this (like giving unseen footage a slightly higher priority to be found).

Yeah that's my issue, mainly. I found one of the hidden scenes and that was cool, but otherwise I'm just clicking on everything and getting a bunch of contextless scenes with no real rhyme or reason

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good God is the voice acting in Atomic Heart ever bad

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I wish they'd patch in a silent protagonist mode.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Took me a long time to get around to Thimbleweed Park and it could stand to be a bit less HEY WASN'T MANIAC MANSION GREAT about itself.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Philippe posted:

I wish they'd patch in a silent protagonist mode.

this is something many games should have, tbh

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

this is something many games should have, tbh

:haw:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Good God is the voice acting in Atomic Heart ever bad

What really annoyed me was everyone having a vaguely Russian sounding accent except the protagonist.

Even the irritatingly horny refrigerator had a Russian accent.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

What really annoyed me was everyone having a vaguely Russian sounding accent except the protagonist.

Better than an irritatingly horny-for baked-products toaster having an American accent and being very pushy about the whole thing.

Talkie Toaster not becoming a meme is a shame. Sheme.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

OutOfPrint posted:

Something similar to this kind of drove me crazy in Resident evil 8. A mysterious, isolated, eastern european village where everyone sounds like they're from columbus, ohio.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I think all games should have a mod that changes everyone's accents to Southern/redneck accents. :colbert:

I may be biased. :getin:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
PYF Little Thing Dragging This Game Down: Even the irritatingly horny refrigerator had a Russian accent.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bossy lady posted:

Something similar to this kind of drove me crazy in Resident evil 8. A mysterious, isolated, eastern european village where everyone sounds like they're from columbus, ohio.

RE4 is the funny counterpart to this, where it sounds like all the Spanish folks are talking normally if you don't know the language, but it turns out they're all speaking Mexican Spanish instead of Spanish Spanish :spain:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

bossy lady posted:

That's because RE8 actually takes place in Ohio.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finally started the Dead Space Remake last night. I played through the first 5 chapters straight so it is doing a lot of things well. My one minor issue is that the atmosphere is slightly too crushingly oppressive and I feel like there is just a nonstop onslaught of necromorphs. I wish it had moments to breathe like Resident Evil is usually pretty good at doing, either by having the safe save rooms or just areas where you don't get attacked.

e: I guess it is also a narrative aspect. RE games rarely have the characters in a rush. In the first 5 chapters of Dead Space, Isaac has already been confronted by 3 issues that will imminently destroy the ship and an invincible monster.

Shiroc has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Apr 29, 2023

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

I've tried a second time and for the life of me I can't get into The Flame In the Flood.

Say what you like about the difficulty of game like The Long Dark: as punishing as it can be at least there's a sense of agency to what you're doing. With TFITF most of the time my deaths seem completely arbitrary, pointless, and unavoidable. Most recent game essentially boiled down to:

• Go to first available island.
  • Cut my hand harvesting the first plant I see.
  • No materials to make gauze with, can't bandage hand. Clock is now ticking.
  • Rapidly rush through as many lootable islands as fast as possible to try to find bandages/the materials to make them. Nothing.
  • Due to lack of bandages develop Staph infection requiring (very rare) Penicillin.
  • Continue to loot areas as fast as humanly possible.
  • Find no meds.
  • Die.

At no point during it did I feel any sense of player agency, instead I was completely at the whim of RNG. At least in The Long Dark I can decide "okay, I'm going to starve now, so I can make a choice to attack, kill, and eat that wolf, likely causing my damage and a possible infection with parasites, but I'm in pretty good condition and at least can survive in the short-term potentially long enough to formulate a plan to visit areas that are likely to have stuff that can allow me to heal".

Decided to try this again because why not, and on my first exploration of a location I apparently stepped on a (poorly drawn and largely obscured by foreground level geometry) anthill and my antbite unavoidably progressed from a bacterial infection to fatal sepsis.

Here lies Breetai, stepped on ants and died

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

bossy lady posted:

That's because if you asked voice actors to do a Romanian accent they would probably just do a Borat, Bela Lugosi, and A Russian and they would all sound wildly inconsistent.

That's actually what drags most games down when it comes to eastern european characters. They all just sound fake russian even if they're not slavic which is hilariously off. And they keep loving up so consistently and almost deliberately. For example Deus Ex Mankind Divided is taking place in Prague and all the in game text is translated wrong with broken grammar and polish characters, and all the english speaking voice actors are just doing russians. Which would be like ok they don't give a poo poo, but they did hire a bunch of czech actors and a translator to do czech voices. They just didn't have them speak english lines. Ain't that some poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The things that bug me is when games are inconsistent about it, like how Hitman has a mix of English-speaking VAs not doing an accident for characters in Marrakesh but Indian-accented English speakers doing the characters in Mumbai.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho fake accents should be exclusively reserved for super corny cartoony games, hire an actual Irish/German/Aussie/[insert region here] actor if you want that poo poo to be taken seriously.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hitman 1 maps don't have any native accents, outside of targets maybe? I also think they reused some guard dialogue from Hitman: Absolution, because I occasionally hear voice actor Steve Blum in those H1 maps when he is only credited with the earlier game. Hitman 2 had Columbia and India and they definitely recruited more VAs for those. Hitman 3 added more for China (but not people mainly for Dubai and Germany).

Of course, they mix it up, so you can find a British guy working the coca field in Santa Fortuna, Columbia. Richard Wilson standing behind the BBQ in Whittleton Creek, US of A, was clearly born in South America. And the guard with the Boston accent is just everywhere.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Apr 29, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Played too much hardspace shipbreaker and now I can only parse life in terms of structural weakpoints and figuring out what goes in the barge vs processor vs furnace and I feel like I got sea leg but it's correcting for a zero-g spin that doesn't exist

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Hitman 1 maps don't have any native accents, outside of targets maybe? I also think they reused some guard dialogue from Hitman: Absolution, because I occasionally hear voice actor Steve Blum in those H1 maps when he is only credited with the earlier game. Hitman 2 had Columbia and India and they definitely recruited more VAs for those. Hitman 3 added more for China (but not people mainly for Dubai and Germany).

Of course, they mix it up, so you can find a British guy working the coca field in Santa Fortuna, Columbia. Richard Wilson standing behind the BBQ in Whittleton Creek, US of A, was clearly born in South America. And the guard with the Boston accent is just everywhere.

The Wilsons are meant to be an I Love Lucy reference, hence Richard's accent.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mazerunner posted:

Played too much hardspace shipbreaker and now I can only parse life in terms of structural weakpoints and figuring out what goes in the barge vs processor vs furnace and I feel like I got sea leg but it's correcting for a zero-g spin that doesn't exist

Same. It's weird how quickly you can learn to orient yourself in zero-g. I love that game, but I wish the name wasn't so teflon (and that there were maybe more than three songs on the soundtrack).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something about Octopath Traveller that is genuinely frustrating to play is that sometimes you get a severely overpowered enemy that attacks early with an attack that wipes your party, like in a level 22 area the fucker will do 2500 damage to everyone where no one has nearly that in total.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

In a Xenoblade and Pokemon Arceus situation where you can see enemy levels and no random encounters that can be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RareAcumen posted:

In a Xenoblade and Pokemon Arceus situation where you can see enemy levels and no random encounters that can be fun

Yeah, but it isn't. It's totally random encounters so it's just like "Lol full party wipe time."