Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'm looking to fill a gap between my PW and 56* - any recommendations on current wedges? Either because you love it, it's on a good sale, whatever. Probably looking for 52*. Both my current wedges are Clevelands (one really old but I can't part with it, one just a couple years old) and I like them well enough but was curious if people overwhelmingly preferred something else.

e: didn't mean to snipe but I'll take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Daric, can you confirm/deny?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-porsche-911-gt2-mystery-is-it-patrick-reeds-wrecked-supercar-on-copart

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Golf loving sucks.

Sunday: Best round I've ever had. First birdie, was at 71 through 14 holes (holes 15-18 are closed for renovation), only one or two topped shots, driver was working great.

Today: Put up a 109 (on a course I shot 100 the other week). Driver was erratic, none of my irons could connect, topping everything, my putting was atrocious on the front nine, and I once again got the chipping yips.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I literally embarrassed myself on a driving range yesterday

However golf rules because I found out the degenerate bartender who does 4x weller antique pours, is dating another bartender who proceeded to yell at him in front of us about the big pours, and smokes weed with the club members (and once got caught doing it on his shift and ‘almost’ got fired) is also a caddy for someone on the korn ferry tour and I’m still laughing about it with my friends today

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I sent a driver headcover 30 yards while doing a warm up swing and had to do the walk of shame to go get it

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Omne posted:

Golf loving sucks.

Sunday: Best round I've ever had. First birdie, was at 71 through 14 holes (holes 15-18 are closed for renovation), only one or two topped shots, driver was working great.

Today: Put up a 109 (on a course I shot 100 the other week). Driver was erratic, none of my irons could connect, topping everything, my putting was atrocious on the front nine, and I once again got the chipping yips.

Same. It can blow sometimes.

Edit: a 71 with 4 holes left is going to be a 90 t o 95 over 18. It's really not that big of a variation.

daslog fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 28, 2023

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
WITB for 2023

Cobra Speed Zone driver (hate)
Titlelist 910 Fd 3W (bury me with my love)
PXG 0211 5w from that big sale earlier this year (need more time to see if it rocks)
Mizuno JPX 921 PW-4 (rule)
Vokey 60 (can't hit for poo poo. was my buddies who killed himself sometime ago, good luck charm)
Taylormade HiToe 56 (fairway/rough)
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind (big rolled and rounded heel, good for sand and poo poo conditions)
Ping Zing 2 (the only reliable club i own)

Best additions to the bag were the mack daddy, replacing an old ping zinger SW I've been using since I was 12 and a bushnell phantom. I love not being tied to a range finder on my wrist and love not being the guy who takes 4 minutes to shoot a laser every approach, it just works.

Big head cover updates were finding this Rolex Girls Amateur Champion at Dalhousie GC 3 wood cover in a patch of blackberry bushes and a TPC Scottsdale putter cover from a recent trip.

Thanks for making me clean my clubs.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

daslog posted:

Same. It can blow sometimes.

Edit: a 71 with 4 holes left is going to be a 90 t o 95 over 18. It's really not that big of a variation.

When you've never broken 100 it's a big loving variation!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Omne posted:

When you've never broken 100 it's a big loving variation!

You will get there. I used to be in your spot, but once I figured out that a lot of the advice is wrong.

1 if your practice time is limited, prioritize your irons over everything else.

2 if you do practice putting, work on 3 foot putts and 20+ lag putts. Forget the rest

3 leave the driver at home until you can hit it in play 9 out of 10 times.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

daslog posted:

You will get there. I used to be in your spot, but once I figured out that a lot of the advice is wrong.

1 if your practice time is limited, prioritize your irons over everything else.

2 if you do practice putting, work on 3 foot putts and 20+ lag putts. Forget the rest

Yeah I'm very close. The thing I've noticed is I lose far fewer balls now than when I was starting out, and I think #3 is why. I've figured out an abbreviated swing to where it's almost always in play, though usually only goes between 200-250 yards. I'm honing in on my chipping, so my main focus is on irons and putting (minimizing 3-putts, hitting the longer irons, drat greenside bunker shots).

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a travel bag? I've been looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OK866Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3NTQP4OQP77XW&psc=1

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The click through is slightly nsfw. I remember when she wanted people to take her seriously as a golfer, even though she was obviously never going to make it as a professional. I suppose being an influencer is as good a career as any these days.

https://twitter.com/paigespiranac/status/1651994748440420352?s=46&t=2Sd7asBiU-Erhl2fM7PMGA

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 28, 2023

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

If I could get paid for playing golf and looking good I'd do it instantly. As it is I give it away for free

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
First three rounds are in the books, played 36 holes yesterday and 18 today. 85, 74, 82.

Was on fire my second round yesterday, 1 under heading into 17, hit a perfect drive, then double bogeyed from 130 out in the fairway, dumb.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

abigserve posted:

If I could get paid for playing golf and looking good I'd do it instantly. As it is I give it away for free

Agreed. Paige is leaning hard into the idea of making a good living off of her looks and more power to her for it.

She also seems a million times more self-aware and well adjusted than whatever the hell caricature of a human Holly Saunders has morphed into over the last few years.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BCRock posted:

Agreed. Paige is leaning hard into the idea of making a good living off of her looks and more power to her for it.

She also seems a million times more self-aware and well adjusted than whatever the hell caricature of a human Holly Saunders has morphed into over the last few years.

There are lots of golf adjacent model types, but Paige has better game. If she can leverage the game piece to keep herself more than just boobs, she can make it work. Her initial problem was leaning hard on the looks but denying it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Omne posted:

Yeah I'm very close. The thing I've noticed is I lose far fewer balls now than when I was starting out, and I think #3 is why. I've figured out an abbreviated swing to where it's almost always in play, though usually only goes between 200-250 yards. I'm honing in on my chipping, so my main focus is on irons and putting (minimizing 3-putts, hitting the longer irons, drat greenside bunker shots).

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a travel bag? I've been looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OK866Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3NTQP4OQP77XW&psc=1

I got that one or something similar. Take the heads off the clubs that you can and put the shafts hozzle down in the bag, surrounding them with clothes or poo poo. Club heads go in head covers and live on the side. No broken poo poo yet.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I've been using Arccos for the past couple of years, as the sensors came embedded in the Ping G710 irons I got a few years back. While I like the app, and the GPS is pretty good, it's not really worth the $150+ yearly subscription cost. That's kind of ridiculous. Any good GPS apps that I can use to replace Arccos? Any alternatives for shot tracking?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I've been using Arccos for the past couple of years, as the sensors came embedded in the Ping G710 irons I got a few years back. While I like the app, and the GPS is pretty good, it's not really worth the $150+ yearly subscription cost. That's kind of ridiculous. Any good GPS apps that I can use to replace Arccos? Any alternatives for shot tracking?

The Grint is good course mapping/GPS, and you can pretty easily manually shot track. Set club, hit button, hit button again when you get to your ball.

Or, replace the sensors and use the shotscope v5 watch.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

torgeaux posted:

The Grint is good course mapping/GPS, and you can pretty easily manually shot track. Set club, hit button, hit button again when you get to your ball.

Grint is releasing their version of automatic shot tracking “soon”, they just announced it via their newsletter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xsf421 posted:

Grint is releasing their version of automatic shot tracking “soon”, they just announced it via their newsletter.

Great!

I'm going to go back to paid version. I stopped when handicap rules changed to require every round be verified.

I realize I should just use my wife's email to verify rounds. I only kept the handicap for my personal knowledge. I play no rounds where an official handicap is needed, so it's not as if I'm cheating someone.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

DoctaFun posted:

5 wood: Callaway FT-fusion 5 wood. Don’t use this much anymore to be honest.

You may be the guy I bought my current 3-wood from years ago through an iteration of this thread. It has a broomstick of a fujikura, but when I can stay smooth, that baby is a missile launcher.

Here's what I'm rolling right now.

P Odyssey White Hot OG
W Callaway Jaws (blue dots from dicks) wedges 56 and 50
A-5 Callaway Apex '21 cavity backs
Ping G Hybrid
Callaway XR 4-wood
Callaway FT 3-wood
Ping G410 Driver (in love with it right now)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

daslog posted:

I think I need to start following this. I was hitting my 3 hybrid 190 and straight down the middle today, driver at 210 and once OoB, twice in the trees, and once in the rough.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

torgeaux posted:

I might have to do this with The Grint. Can't really replace the sensors in my Ping clubs without replacing all the grips (sensors embedded in grips).

I'm hoping that Arrcos will come to their senses and add different subscriptions levels....or a month to month subscription option. For one....I don't use any of their advanced tools or metrics. I'm a below average golfer right now and there's way too much variance at this point for me to accurately use the info provided all that often. Two....I live in Minnesota where there is no golf for about five of the twelve months of the year. Yet....the only option is a yearly subscription for around $150. There's simply not enough value for me to justify that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I did a free trial of Golfshot for their auto tracking using the apple watch to detect swings and it's so inconsistent I don't think I'll keep it. I think I'll stick with Grint manual tracking until they come out with an auto feature, and hopefully it's more robust then Golfshot.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I use a garmin smartwatch and as long as the garmin golf app doesn't go to sleep (you have to update it in your power settings) it picks up swings very accurately.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Shotscope X5. I liked (not loved) the V3, and this appears to fix the minor issues. I was going to pass, but dug up an old email with a $100 off offer, so we'll see.

The main problem left unfixed and unfixable is that it relies on a practice swing to "set" which club you're using. I take no practice swings. So, you have to remember to touch the sensor to the watch band. I am terrible about that.

Edit: once I have the new version, I'll be passing the old v3 to someone. Anyone here want it?

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 30, 2023

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Anno posted:

I'm looking to fill a gap between my PW and 56* - any recommendations on current wedges? Either because you love it, it's on a good sale, whatever. Probably looking for 52*. Both my current wedges are Clevelands (one really old but I can't part with it, one just a couple years old) and I like them well enough but was curious if people overwhelmingly preferred something else.

e: didn't mean to snipe but I'll take it
What is your PW loft? Given modern lofts you may want a 50.

I recently was researching some wedges and Clevelands still seem really well reviewed. Found some cheap cleveland RTX4s new on ebay (75 apiece I think) a few weeks back but looks like they may have sold out. Those are probably 4 generations old by now but w/e. Vokey spin milled are super popular still as well (SM9 is current gen I think?).

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

RTX4 wedges are great, I've had mine for a few years now and will probably be replacing them after one more season just due to the amount of wear on the grooves. Performance on most wedges are going to be very similar overall so it really comes down to feel and head shape IMO, just find something you like and run with it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

gvibes posted:

What is your PW loft? Given modern lofts you may want a 50.

I recently was researching some wedges and Clevelands still seem really well reviewed. Found some cheap cleveland RTX4s new on ebay (75 apiece I think) a few weeks back but looks like they may have sold out. Those are probably 4 generations old by now but w/e. Vokey spin milled are super popular still as well (SM9 is current gen I think?).

47*, or at least it was when I got it. They're going on 10 years old idk if the lofts have drifted at all. 52* just feels about like the midpoint between the ~135 I hit my PW and 100-110 I hit my 56* based of the distance fallout between my 56 and 60. But I should probably just go hit some on some kind of monitor.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Played Fossil Trace today, super nice weather. Arccos screwed up and wouldn’t load the course and it actually cost me a couple of shots as I played into bunkers that I either thought were way out of range (shoulda used a rangefinder I guess) or I just wasn’t aware were there

Feel like I’m really close to breaking my PB, I had 11 pars which is great but also three triples (two of which were four putts) which is less great. I just seem to let things snowball on certain holes.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

Played Fossil Trace today, super nice weather. Arccos screwed up and wouldn’t load the course and it actually cost me a couple of shots as I played into bunkers that I either thought were way out of range (shoulda used a rangefinder I guess) or I just wasn’t aware were there

Feel like I’m really close to breaking my PB, I had 11 pars which is great but also three triples (two of which were four putts) which is less great. I just seem to let things snowball on certain holes.

How were the greens? Last round there (two weeks or so) they were on their way to a nice recovery.

They changed a couple of greens two years ago and not all the course mapping services have caught up. 2 and 15 changed a bunch.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The greens were in pretty good shape I thought. Fairways are still getting there (cart path only still)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Nice, fellow Cobra guy. I swear by their driver / fairway woods and honestly their forged irons are a great bang for your buck. I think we're the only ones I saw here there use more than a Cobra driver.

Guess I'll join an exclusive club :shobon:

Here's my WITB

Everything above my 5 iron was all bought used/second hand, practically everything from the 5i up to the putter I got new, but on deep clearance sales for being a year or three 'out of date'. Everything is on a regular stiffness shaft.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 10.5° , this may be 10 years old but nothing newer I've hit has been appreciably better
3W: TaylorMade M4, I honestly really need to work on this club. Feels like it was a mistake to get
5W: Taylormade M2, man I love this club, *when* I can hit it clean. Has an aftermarket grip and shaft from the PO that feel great.
4H: TaylorMade M4, this club gets me out of so much trouble(which my driver slice gets me into a lot) with low punching shots through trees.
5i-GW: King F9 Speedback GI iron set, these followed the trend of going for less loft across the range to :airquote:increase distance:airquote:, but in practice I just club down and get roasted by the boys. Great feel to the swing, feels like a pendulum on the longer irons, quite forgiving clubs
52° wedge: Mizuno S18 09° bounce, I love this wedge, it rewards good technique so well. Very attractive club too, and it's one that I always feel happy to have a chance to shoot
58° Sand Wedge: Ping Glide ES(Eye Sole), another great wedge, this one cuts through sand so well, and is still very versatile for high shots over bunkers off grass too
Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball, this putter is freaking dope. Love the feel off the white hot face, and I had the shaft lengthened to match my 6'3" frame. The 2 Ball sighting aid really helps me line up my shots better.
Ball Scooper :v: 20` Generic Brand telescoping ball scoop from Golf Town, this is the piece of gear that got my wife interested in golfing :xd: , she loves scooping balls from ponds while I'm taking my shots. 10/10 would recommend.

Bag: Cleveland Stand bag with backpack style straps, this has been a very good bag to me and it looks great, straps into a power cart fine and is great out on the course. Walking is the Way :colbert:

Misc Kirkland golf gloves, are amazing for the price. Kirkland golf balls, also great and are my primary choice when I run out of Pro V1's scooped from the ponds lol. Pride blue tip 3-1/4" tees, I really like having the visual aid for my tee length. Has helped make my drives more consistent. Shot Tracker: Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire This watch rocks , picks up my shots well and having the course map on your wrist for checking distances is so useful to have. My playing partners are always asking me distances to different hazards.

Really, all I need is to invest more in lessons. :sweatdrop: I don't see myself buying any more clubs for a very long time now that I have this set.

abigserve posted:

I use a garmin smartwatch and as long as the garmin golf app doesn't go to sleep (you have to update it in your power settings) it picks up swings very accurately.

Seconding this, my Garmin is awesome on the course

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 1, 2023

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Finally got my first round of the season out the way yesterday. I live in central Canada and courses are slowly opening up. It was at the nearby municipal course with some friends. I didn't get the best warmup and I really started getting in a groove until hole 8. I shot 46 in the front, and 38 in the back for 84 (+14). My personal highlight was getting on a Par 5 488 in 2. Missed the eagle, but got the tap-in for birdie.

My WITB 2023

Driver: TaylorMade Sim Driver 10.5
3W: TaylorMade rescue hybrid. Bought this on a whim last year, and I'm not sure if I like this club.
5W: Second-hand club
5i-AW: TaylorMade Sim2 Graphite set. This set made me love golf even more. My hits are more flush to the ball and there's some signs of backspin when I use the higher lofted clubs
56 wedge: TaylorMade, don't recall the model from memory
Putter: Second-hand, it has flames on it

Bag: Just bought a TaylorMade lite bag since it was on sale, retiring my old 17 year old bag.

Misc Footjoy glove, Titleist Pro V1 (I won these in a raffle), alternating between Nike Airmax 90s or Jordan XII shoes. I also have alignment sticks, and a second-hand Mizuno golf travel bag. I've only used it once, but it kept everything intact to and from Hawaii last October.

I also have a Garmin vivoactive 4, but I find the distancee isn't accurate in relation to the course's yardage from the tee box and other devices if I stand side-by-side with someone with another GPS item. It's usually 15 yards short from the actual target.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I signed up for lessons at GolfTec with the goal of going at least once a week for two months. Initial evaluation showed what seems to be every single one of the beginner golfers’ mistakes. Over-the-top outside-in swing, early extension, poor wrist hinge, hands behind the ball at impact, trail elbow bent and away from the body, etc.

After about 6 weeks, I see a lot of improvement in my swing when I’m at the simulator. Everything seems to be more consistent, and I’m hitting my irons straighter and farther. I’m getting better at swinging in-to-out; the thing that seemed to help the most was understanding what my wrists should be doing. Before the lessons, I was extending my trial wrist instead of giving it radial deviation…it became immediately easier to rotate without losing the swing plane.

I’m still really struggling to get my hands in front of the ball — every time I try to “bump” my hips toward the target, my shoulders follow along and I hit the ball super thin. Every time I tilt my shoulders properly, my hips don’t move, and I end up in early extension. I can’t find a drill that makes it click.

Before:
https://imgur.com/a/Zr4W4vo

After:
https://imgur.com/a/bjIY0Af

So far this has translated to absolutely gently caress all on the course. Half of my drives are unplayable, my short game is terrible, and while most of my approach shots are pin high, they’re usually 15 yards left or right depending on how I’ve chosen to gently caress up the shot. Just have to keep at it, I guess.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Your before swing is... Brutal. It's all hands and upper body.

After swing is a massive improvement. You're on the right track.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Farking Bastage posted:

You may be the guy I bought my current 3-wood from years ago through an iteration of this thread. It has a broomstick of a fujikura, but when I can stay smooth, that baby is a missile launcher.

Here's what I'm rolling right now.

P Odyssey White Hot OG
W Callaway Jaws (blue dots from dicks) wedges 56 and 50
A-5 Callaway Apex '21 cavity backs
Ping G Hybrid
Callaway XR 4-wood
Callaway FT 3-wood
Ping G410 Driver (in love with it right now)

I’m almost sure that was me! I’m glad you still have it!

Course I was at had a Ping demo / fitting day, and I sneaked in for the last 15 minutes or so.

I found out a few things, my driver swing speed is 110, but I’m better off with like a 10.5 or even 11 degree driver. It was cool seeing all the numbers with someone who knows what they are doing. Apparently should see carry numbers around 280ish if I get fit properly.

New driver I bought does not fit me properly, so will be selling that :/.

Also, got to try out the new ping i59 irons and they are sweeeet. Feel great, apparently as forgiving as the i230s, and man, maybe one of the sharpest looking irons Ping has ever released in my opinion.

I’ll have to wait 2-3 years until I can get a set off someone on GolfWRX for $600.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Anno posted:

47*, or at least it was when I got it. They're going on 10 years old idk if the lofts have drifted at all. 52* just feels about like the midpoint between the ~135 I hit my PW and 100-110 I hit my 56* based of the distance fallout between my 56 and 60. But I should probably just go hit some on some kind of monitor.
52 degrees should be fine then. Yeah, all the big OEMs are pretty good now so grab something that suits your eye.

Kirios posted:

Your before swing is... Brutal. It's all hands and upper body.

After swing is a massive improvement. You're on the right track.
New swing has a better shallowing move than I seem to be capable of.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm so close to being sub 80 all the time, but it's always course management that causes me issues. I need to just hire a caddie one day to tell me, "what the gently caress? No, don't do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

I feel like I'm so close to being sub 80 all the time, but it's always course management that causes me issues. I need to just hire a caddie one day to tell me, "what the gently caress? No, don't do that."

Just listen to enough of Golf Sidekick that you hear his voice in your head scolding you when you make bad course management choices :v: