Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I hope you at least got one trying to look cool with displacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Just getting back into this after having not played for a few years, but is the Endwalker expansion by itself really $40? Everywhere I'm looking says its 40bux and has all previous expansions, but I have the previous expansions so it feels like I'm just buying them again?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's the current expansion, so yes, it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And that's always how the current expansion has worked.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Buying the expansion just means bringing your account up to date with the latest content. You're not buying the same content over again except in the most literal sense. It's not a bundle.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Perhaps if I directly eat my Switch I can digest and fully experience Tears of the Kingdom before 6.4.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DrakePegasus posted:

Perhaps if I directly eat my Switch I can digest and fully experience Tears of the Kingdom before 6.4.

Just get a prescription for Provigil and don't sleep for three weeks.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DrakePegasus posted:

i can regrettably confirm this will not work

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

DrakePegasus posted:

I feel this. I am not ready for the new tier AND new Zelda. :smithicide:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DrakePegasus posted:

blatman posted:

i can regrettably confirm this will not work

Yeah, it's got those bitterants.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Black Mage should just simply kill the trolley.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

As much as it hurts to lose all my fun buttons while downsynced, it really is a strangely satisfying feeling to go "no damage down, who gives a poo poo", pop Manaward, and continue blasting without a care in the world. Doubly so if there's meteor towers to soak.

At max level you get so many instant casts that you don't get an excuse any more.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

This is astounding work

https://twitter.com/ac_esq_XIV/status/1652264431211130881?t=-Sftk8TMyYDaxpPUchBxfg&s=19

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

I suck at Black Mage. I have no problems leaving Ley Lines. Between The Lines will zip me right back, so it's not a big deal to me.

Of course, that's provided I even remember to use Ley Lines to begin with…

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
bozja and eureka own because it's the only open world content in the game worth doing. hunt trains and s-marks are a laggy, unchallenging shitshow. fate grinding in the open world without cool actions to spice it up is miserable.

i'm really feeling the lack of foray in 6.0, orthos was cool but i've got my four clears for the mount so if i do it more i'm mostly doing it to help other people. i guess i could solo clear it, but that's not really interesting to me. criterion was cool but also had a poo poo reward structure so it killed the content within 2 weeks. all other content you do in this game besides alliance raids is locked to 4, or 8 people, forays fill the gap to allow you to have more than that in an instance at a time. they provide a pretty cool experience with lots of other players that you never see anywhere else in game.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I am cautiously optimistic about the new Criterion Dungeon; I thought the first one was better designed than any of the midcore content (EX + Savage) from the last two patches outside of Barbie and phase 2 of P8s which was a joy to prog. This might be asking for two much, but it would be nice if they added some of the routing from variant into future Criterion. I don't need 14 variations, but two distinct runs would be fun and put a little more meat on the bone. Reward structure needs to be fixed too, but that is vastly easier for the dev team to do.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 29, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really love that they made the effort to make variant dungeons soloable. They didn't have to do that but the bosses are really fun to do on your own.

But yeah they need to work on the reward structure for the next one.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

About the only thing that wouldn't royally mess up the gear curve is maybe giving out accessories at the same ilvl as the EX fight released the same patch. Definitely not anything that could give BiS in anything.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Criterion's come out about two months after a savage tier, so I don't really see how they could meaningfully mess with the gear curve.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
gear curve is already kind of garbage if you want to gear up even two different roles during a tier

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah by the time criterion comes out the vast majority of savage players will already be in full 660, even if they haven't cleared p12s. Let criterion rain gear!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Firebert posted:

Yeah by the time criterion comes out the vast majority of savage players will already be in full 660, even if they haven't cleared p12s. Let criterion rain gear!

And even those who are not are taking it easy enough that they're not going to be too put out by an extra gear source.

This is also why I think that alliance raid gear locks are silly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Alliance raids should drop max level gear too.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 29, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I need to figure out something else to sing wolf marks into. Got the pets, got the music, got a lot of the armor...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I need to figure out something else to sing wolf marks into. Got the pets, got the music, got a lot of the armor...

Ventures or Rationing Manuals. I prefer Ventures so that I can dump all my GC seals into cashing out, but you might have more of a need for Rationing depending on your FC status.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dareon posted:

https://twitter.com/bazelgays/status/1651348519830077442

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Criterion Savage should drop the upgrade materials for the current tomestone gear, imo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So today's winning cactpot on our server was 1234 (I have no idea if it's server specific or every server is the same). So more than one person ended up winning the jackpot today, several achievements popped up.

This was the funniest part though:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

So today's winning cactpot on our server was 1234 (I have no idea if it's server specific or every server is the same). So more than one person ended up winning the jackpot today, several achievements popped up.

lmfao owned

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've been playing this game since 2015 and have never won a jumbo cactpot

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Macaluso posted:

This was me just a couple months ago. :negative:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The winning numbers are different on every server. I've been one digit off the grand prize several times.

1337 won on a Japanese world once

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThMK6lAUA0Y

man i want to go to one of these one day

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Criterion Savage should drop the upgrade materials for the current tomestone gear, imo.

eh, Criterion Savage could drop actual Savage gear as rewards and I'm not sure it would really change how many people do it.

Personally, Criterion needs a rethink in how it works with FFXIV's instance system. Currently in "normal" Criterion you have to clear 3 bosses + some trash to even get a reward on a 90 minute timer. Unless you're running with people you know, I would prefer to PF Criterion less than actual Savage. At least if someone sucks at P6S, P7S, or P8S we can just leave, drop them, and go back to that specific fight. If someone sucks at the 2nd or 3rd boss in Criterion, well enjoy running the timer out or redoing bosses.

Criterion Savage takes the normal version adds a 24 minute timer to complete it from start to finish, increases health/damage, removes some AoE markers, and a single death is a wipe. While mechanics in Criterion aren't particularly hard, the savage version punishes inconsistency hard.

FFXIV's biggest incentive to do content is gear, but Criterion's difficulty puts it in a weird spot on what gear you would actually give as a reward. Like I know give tome gear upgrade tokens is a general idea, but I really don't think that is very compelling. The game's gear path has been the same for many years and it doesn't really leave much wiggle room for doing something different.

It also does not help that Criterion's difficulty is locked, or at least appears to be. It has an i635 sync, so it will not be getting any easier with gear and I doubt they're going to introduce echo to it, so eliminates making it easier for less skilled/dedicated players. And to be honest, if you can clear Criterion you can clear 8-man Savage, so unless you only have 3 other people you play with and you refuse to ever touch PF or discord, just do savage.

Like I understand people want hard 4-man content, but when you add an asterisk to that it can quite quickly make that 4-man* content dead. Like fine, keep some trash, but split the 3 bosses into 3 different instances and give rewards for each boss. Or keep it like the Variant Dungeon and you just choose a path and do that boss.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Savage also makes the trash way harder, which is honestly the main change after the timer.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bruceski posted:

The GARO event will almost certainly go away again at some point, so if you haven't gotten the titles for the Jobs you play I'd recommend getting those. The title makes all of the pieces from that set purchasable for chump change from Calamity Salvagers even after the event ends, so you don't have to keep all of them around.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Wolf marks are a cheap way to buy dark matter if you repair your own gear

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Maguoob posted:

eh, Criterion Savage could drop actual Savage gear as rewards and I'm not sure it would really change how many people do it.

Personally, Criterion needs a rethink in how it works with FFXIV's instance system. Currently in "normal" Criterion you have to clear 3 bosses + some trash to even get a reward on a 90 minute timer. Unless you're running with people you know, I would prefer to PF Criterion less than actual Savage. At least if someone sucks at P6S, P7S, or P8S we can just leave, drop them, and go back to that specific fight. If someone sucks at the 2nd or 3rd boss in Criterion, well enjoy running the timer out or redoing bosses.

Criterion Savage takes the normal version adds a 24 minute timer to complete it from start to finish, increases health/damage, removes some AoE markers, and a single death is a wipe. While mechanics in Criterion aren't particularly hard, the savage version punishes inconsistency hard.

FFXIV's biggest incentive to do content is gear, but Criterion's difficulty puts it in a weird spot on what gear you would actually give as a reward. Like I know give tome gear upgrade tokens is a general idea, but I really don't think that is very compelling. The game's gear path has been the same for many years and it doesn't really leave much wiggle room for doing something different.

It also does not help that Criterion's difficulty is locked, or at least appears to be. It has an i635 sync, so it will not be getting any easier with gear and I doubt they're going to introduce echo to it, so eliminates making it easier for less skilled/dedicated players. And to be honest, if you can clear Criterion you can clear 8-man Savage, so unless you only have 3 other people you play with and you refuse to ever touch PF or discord, just do savage.

Like I understand people want hard 4-man content, but when you add an asterisk to that it can quite quickly make that 4-man* content dead. Like fine, keep some trash, but split the 3 bosses into 3 different instances and give rewards for each boss. Or keep it like the Variant Dungeon and you just choose a path and do that boss.

My logic is pretty much that tomestone gear is a thing Savage Raiders do already care about, but gathering the upgrade items is potentially very slow if people aren't funneling you, so giving a new method a few weeks after savage is already out speeds up the late acquisition process without effecting the initial timing.

It would be better than the situation now, where it doesn't drop anything and died almost immediately. I think Criterion itself needs rewards, and Criterion Savage similar but better rewards.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Maguoob posted:

have you never been in a prog, reclear or farm party for a tier final boss that clears the door boss first pull, then the party suddenly feels extremely committed as people chucklefuck around and don't get anything done for the next 105 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

have you never been in a prog, reclear or farm party for a tier final boss that clears the door boss first pull, then the party suddenly feels extremely committed as people chucklefuck around and don't get anything done for the next 105 minutes

I mean I’m not the biggest fan of door bosses either, and I don’t even need PF to deal with multiple people making dumb mistakes and wasting time. Why yes I do, for some reason, raid with people that somehow forget how High Concept (1 or 2) or Natural Alignment works between pulls. Also known as why are 3 people standing in gamma’s spot?