Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Byzantine posted:

Byzantium wasn't a spin-off, it's a fan term for the last 2/3rds of the story.

I mean I think you are a little biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Dexter
Roseanne
Merlin

I don't think Roseanne was memoryholed, considering how epically it died when, whoops turns out Roseanne Barr is a monstrous person.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rome: Rome on the Range

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Romeo and Juliet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still laugh at the line "Who has a better story than Bran the Broken?"

Literally anyone, Tyrion.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

That's more HBO & BBC's fault. They didn't want to fund the super expensive show anymore, so Heller had to do what he could:

Bruno Heller posted:

I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the Messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I still laugh at the line "Who has a better story than Bran the Broken?"

The character they went an entire season without showing and nothing much was lost.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Spazzle posted:

On the other hand, the X-files poo poo the bed on its plot from the beginning, and people still fondly watch it.

I love the x-files; bought the boxset and rewatch it pretty regularly, and I have never watched the main arc episodes.
They are boring and they suck.
I do not care about stupid aliens, or Mulders tedious family or any of that crap.

Monster of the week baby!

(My own favorite is the one with Luke Wilson, where we get to see the same incident from Mulder and Scullys individual perspective. )

Edit: it's Bad Blood, and it is wonderful

Pookah has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Apr 28, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Randalor posted:

I don't think Roseanne was memoryholed, considering how epically it died when, whoops turns out Roseanne Barr is a monstrous person.

Also they just killed off her character and the show is still on as The Conners.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the absolute best episodes are the ones Darin Morgan worked on (Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung, Humbug, Quagmire, Small Potatoes), but just behind that are many of episodes the Vince Gilligan worked on (too many great ones to list, but includes the previously mentioned Bad Blood).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like the conspiracy episodes as character pieces. The plot is entirely beside the point, but there are good character beats.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I AM GRANDO posted:

I like the conspiracy episodes as character pieces. The plot is entirely beside the point, but there are good character beats.

Recently rewatched the first three seasons, and the conspiracy stuff is still pretty great at that point. The scully abduction arc goes hard and has some of the best stuff in the show (mulder confronting csm, the stuff between him and Scully's new age sister) The stuff with mulder's family is still fresh and not overly convoluted, and you really feel like no matter how much he sees, he's still only got the faintest idea of what's really going on.

If they ever do a legit reboot, I think the best change they could make is leaving it up in the air longer as to whether aliens are real or not, or if it's a smoke screen for geneeral government malfeasance. Because they try to play a coy a few times past when the audience at least knows that they're real.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the absolute best episodes are the ones Darin Morgan worked on (Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung, Humbug, Quagmire, Small Potatoes), but just behind that are many of episodes the Vince Gilligan worked on (too many great ones to list, but includes the previously mentioned Bad Blood).

God, I love Clyde Bruckman :allears:
Actually, this digression got me to dig out my old dvd boxset, so I'm gonna be watching me my favorite x-files for a good while now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

AYAOTD had like 20 actors total and I think they were probably mostly Canadian. (I'm exaggerating, but they did repeat the actors a lot)

I am a huge AYAOTD fan. It holds up! It's actually even better now because it's got the 90s vibe to it. It is definitely not media that did not age well. And if you said you were in AYAOTD I would definitely grill you on it, and you better have an encyclopedic knowledge of at least one episode to lie your way through it.

That episode with the haunted pool, holy poo poo. And I swear sometimes kids would just die like I think in that episode where there was a haunted box in a kids basement and it eats the bully, he's just dead?

Or that episode where the kids move into a town and play hide and seek in the graveyard and there are these ghost stories about the gravekeeper but then big twist it's not the gravekeeper it's the kids who are dead!

The computer virus episode is literally the single best piece of 90s computer TV ever made.

I just get so pumped whenever anyone brings up AYAOTD.

Media that aged: You know the one guy from the Midnight Society grew up to be a Canadian weatherman, right? He was on our version of the Weather Channel to start out, now he works for a news program in Toronto but he still does reports for like half the friggin country because media ownership in Canada is ghoulishly concentrated

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Submitted for the approval of the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council: a horrible tale of snow, followed by slush, followed by sub-freezing temperatures.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Submitted for the approval of the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council: a horrible tale of snow, followed by slush, followed by sub-freezing temperatures.

Acknowledged as being on the traditional land and territories of *insert Indigenous nation names here*

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Pookah posted:

(My own favorite is the one with Luke Wilson, where we get to see the same incident from Mulder and Scullys individual perspective. )

Oh gently caress I haven't thought about this episode in decades! Yeah that one was hilarious.

Also when they aired, we were all so excited for the main plot episodes. It took a few seasons before we all realized that they had no idea what they were doing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You should have to make a donation to a tribal charity every time you say that or it's just huffing your own farts.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can really tell these fashions were developed by people living in cold places.

It also used to not get as hot as it does as often as it does and the cold days were much colder everywhere

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

Recently rewatched the first three seasons, and the conspiracy stuff is still pretty great at that point. The scully abduction arc goes hard and has some of the best stuff in the show (mulder confronting csm, the stuff between him and Scully's new age sister) The stuff with mulder's family is still fresh and not overly convoluted, and you really feel like no matter how much he sees, he's still only got the faintest idea of what's really going on.

If they ever do a legit reboot, I think the best change they could make is leaving it up in the air longer as to whether aliens are real or not, or if it's a smoke screen for geneeral government malfeasance. Because they try to play a coy a few times past when the audience at least knows that they're real.

A friend of mine once said that the show would ultimately be better if Mulder was actually wrong about aliens existing but the fbi indulged him because he was so good at solving the monster-of-the-week and serial killer cases, and he would slowly become more unhinged as the series went on. I can’t decide if my friend was right about that or not.

It would be a better show if Scully were right part of the time, or partially right half the time.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

FouRPlaY posted:

That's more HBO & BBC's fault. They didn't want to fund the super expensive show anymore, so Heller had to do what he could:

It's wild to me that there were people alive for Julius Caesar's death and then met Jesus. They seem like vastly far apart events in history.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

grittyreboot posted:

It's wild to me that there were people alive for Julius Caesar's death and then met Jesus. They seem like vastly far apart events in history.

The emperor Tiberius was already in his 40s when Jesus was born, became emperor when Jesus was in his late teens, and remained emperor until four years after Jesus died. His mother was married to Augustus, aka Octavian.

It's like that well-worn fact that Cleopatra lived closer to our time than to the building of the Great Pyramid. We tend to conceive of history weirdly and lump things together that feel connected, I think.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also there were mammoths alive when the pyramids were built.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Much like Game of Thrones after its generally agreed on best season Dexter just had a slog of increasingly, and often comically, bad seasons until it hit an ending so bad everyone just quietly agreed to pretend it didn't exist anymore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

The emperor Tiberius was already in his 40s when Jesus was born, became emperor when Jesus was in his late teens, and remained emperor until four years after Jesus died. His mother was married to Augustus, aka Octavian.

It's like that well-worn fact that Cleopatra lived closer to our time than to the building of the Great Pyramid. We tend to conceive of history weirdly and lump things together that feel connected, I think.

Ancient Egypt had archeological teams that were digging up More Ancient Egyptian artifacts that were older to them then the stuff we have in museums are now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Showtime has had a very consistent policy of “keep a successful show running as long as is humanly possible.” Shameless ran into the same problem.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Have they no sha- oh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Showtime has had a very consistent policy of “keep a successful show running as long as is humanly possible.” Shameless ran into the same problem.

So basically CW and Supernatural?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Showtime was pulling that poo poo before the CW existed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pookah posted:

I love the x-files; bought the boxset and rewatch it pretty regularly, and I have never watched the main arc episodes.
I do not care about stupid aliens, or Mulders tedious family or any of that crap.

Best cold open of the entire show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2TSqnVqY7c

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ZJ8Et3z6E

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My grade school friend's dad had the complete-at-the-time X-Files collection. It was a VHS collection so it took up an entire wall

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spazzle posted:

On the other hand, the X-files poo poo the bed on its plot from the beginning, and people still fondly watch it.
You can't let people down if they already expect the worst!

But yeah nobody was watching the x-files for the metaplot while those others were all metaplot.
e:

Pookah posted:

:drac::hf::ms:

Rewatched the green bugs recently and man I wish the 90s terror of ecoterrorists had been based on fact

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Apr 29, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bunnyofdoom posted:

So basically CW and Supernatural?
What do you mean? Supernatural ended on season 5 with Castiel and Dean having Lisa and Ben over to their house for dinner (Castiel is just off screen in the kitchen)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also there were mammoths alive when the pyramids were built.

And they were so inbred that they couldn't even smell.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Splicer posted:

What do you mean? Supernatural ended on season 5 with Castiel and Dean having Lisa and Ben over to their house for dinner (Castiel is just off screen in the kitchen)

I learned decades ago that you can ignore an ending you don't like and make up your own. At the time the end of Quantum Leap really annoyed me- now I kinda like it but back then I was furious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Much like Game of Thrones after its generally agreed on best season Dexter just had a slog of increasingly, and often comically, bad seasons until it hit an ending so bad everyone just quietly agreed to pretend it didn't exist anymore.

Someone got my partner watching Dexter a few years ago and I warned her "it ends on a wet fart you should stop after Trinity" and she didn't listen to me and kept barreling on ahead

And then it ended and she started bitching about how bad it was and yes, that's why I told you to stop watching

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

The mammoths or the pharaohs? :v:

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Alhazred posted:

How do pyramids smell?
(Beat)
Awful!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The smell on my clothes is why I quit smoking ziggurats