Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Those are some drat Nice Boots on the rider. Need those boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure those are just standard vintage MX boots, judging by the presence of enough buckles that their count needs to be represented in scientific notation

I had a set as a kid that looked like a fuckin Michael Jackson jacket

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'm pretty sure those are just standard vintage MX boots, judging by the presence of enough buckles that their count needs to be represented in scientific notation

I had a set as a kid that looked like a fuckin Michael Jackson jacket

It's been a while since I saw the first mad max movie, but I'm going to go ahead and assume they used them for costumes as well

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I took it to an ATV park and was jumping it and climbing rocks and dirt. Surprised I didn't die. I would do it again.

My friend has a CRF250F, if he comes I might try to get some videos next time for giggles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I took it to an ATV park and was jumping it and climbing rocks and dirt. Surprised I didn't die. I would do it again.

My friend has a CRF250F, if he comes I might try to get some videos next time for giggles.

:patriot: Thank you for using a Versys for its somewhat intended purpose

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Beve Stuscemi posted:

:patriot: Thank you for using a Versys for its somewhat intended purpose

Supposedly the Versys 400 is coming out. The Ninja 400 engine is better than the Ninja 300 engine in every way. I think it's even lighter.

They have a missed opportunity if they dont make a Versys 400 XT edition or something. Put on actual good suspension, crash guards, fiberglass body panels, skid plate. It's the kind of bike you'd want to ride 150 highway miles and then offroad. They won't though. It was so much fun :lol:

The front suspension has racetech gold valves and stiffer springs. It would have blown up without it 100%, though stock is fine for normal packed dirt\gravel adv riding.

I totally want to do the mid Atlantic Backcountry discovery route on it soon.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 20, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I forget the exact reasoning for not putting the bigger engine in the versys 300, but it's something along the line that you can't just jam the 400's engine in there since the whole frame is different. So they'd have to basically build a brand new bike around that engine. And we know how Kawasaki is about anything new.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only thing the ninja 300 and 400 based bikes have in common is the name and color

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

The local bike mechanic has a cool ice bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

it was a super blackbird.
more images and moon language here https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=300168489

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
FortNine has a new version of the waterproof gloves review where they acknowledge being wrong and tried a new testing method: https://youtu.be/s_bCmahsa1A

I’m one of those people that likes Ryan’s videos but still can’t really stand the guy so I don’t mind a new presenter on their channel.

Also I love my Klím Badlands gloves.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Supradog posted:

:rip:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Supradog posted:

looks like it probably still mostly could be by dumping the stupid headlight and tail, at least.

though god knows what else is wrong with it if the owner is that sort of person.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Mr. Cool Ice's Finnish cousin

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Poor man's x11 + skull fetish

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

The local bike mechanic has a cool ice bike.

I like whatever's going on with the handguards that gives the visual impression that they're also studded

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dog Case posted:

I like whatever's going on with the handguards that gives the visual impression that they're also studded

Commitment to the theme.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ATiZ1JxExs

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

I hate the direction iD took doomguy in for doom eternal and that is 100% in keeping with that lovely aesthetic.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How is it the Slayer's aesthetic any different from the 2016 game?

I kind of love it. It's BFG-powered, and the front wheel is a chainsaw. Not my ideal seating ergonomics, but it's pretty cool.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Mister Speaker posted:

How is it the Slayer's aesthetic any different from the 2016 game?

I kind of love it. It's BFG-powered, and the front wheel is a chainsaw. Not my ideal seating ergonomics, but it's pretty cool.

Re: the character himself, the tactical biceps in his armour and the silly abilities like a "flame belch" are cringeworthy, but the real kicker is the doom slayer playset / lifted bro-dozer of a fortress that he gets around in. It's all so adolescent and lame. Much like that bike.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You mean the exposed biceps muscles on the suit? I kinda like that, it's a bit of a nod to the original's ridiculous exposed guns and abs. I agree with you about the Fortress of Doom though, especially since (unless there's some EU stuff like comics going on) it just comes outta nowhere and there's basically no purpose for it to exist other than to store your bobbleheads and unlock yet another special weapon that takes BFG ammo but isn't a BFG. It kind of feels like they were trying to one-up themselves after making the 2016 game so bullshit-free, just throw you into this wild ride that doesn't take itself seriously. But it was but over the line, yeah.

I still like the bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

prukinski posted:

Re: the character himself, the tactical biceps in his armour and the silly abilities like a "flame belch" are cringeworthy, but the real kicker is the doom slayer playset / lifted bro-dozer of a fortress that he gets around in. It's all so adolescent and lame. Much like that bike.

Criticizing Doom for being adolescent is like criticizing grass for being green.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Finger Prince posted:

Criticizing Doom for being adolescent is like criticizing grass for being green.

Nah, it's a balancing act. 2016 was cool, eternal was cringe.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would commute to work on that motorcycle, no problem

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No way thats real, its clearly just a render!!!!!!!!

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Xakura posted:

Nah, it's a balancing act. 2016 was cool, eternal was cringe.

Yeah, I'm not asking for a Schindler's List point and click adventure. 2016 was incredible. Eternal is like a bizarro universe version of that game where all the mastery of narrative and pacing and mood were switcheroo'd with ... I don't know quite what. Nerd fan service?

It's like eternal is intentionally bad. Good shooting and nice colours, but just ugh. The awful lore dumps and catering to a very specific dweeb power fantasy of being BIG AND TOUGH and having a computer with three screens and a BAT CAVE made me embarassed to witness, let alone play, it. It's as much of a mess as the jump from starcraft to starcraft 2, but maybe there's also an element in there of how the Nolan batman movies and how they really lean into Wayne being really rich. (Which the design of that motorcycle remind me of).

The more I think about it, the thing that gets my goat about that doomcycle is the same thing that gets me about doomguy having a huge flying house in eternal. It's not just a dude that has willpower any more, which I guess is the whole point of 2016's characterisation. Now he's just another rich oval office with some toys who gets his way while the game world bends over backwards to jerk off over what a RAD DUDE he is. You're playing a boomer mindset, or a billionaire appeasement simulator.

But I also have an actual art degree and no hope of ever owning a house so maybe I just can't see that bike over my pretension and the chip on my shoulder.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 1, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw I agree. 2016 doom had a real gently caress you, punk mindset. He's just a hate elemental that smashes poo poo relentlessly.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

I really enjoyed the gameplay of eternal but could never quite articulate what bothered me so much about the setting/story/other bullshit. You nailed it.

In cycle pic content, this has made me think about video game bikes in general, and reminded me I’ve never gone back and looked at the bike from Full Throttle since I’ve gotten into motorcycles.

lmao. 80% exhaust pipes, 20% bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Leading link fork too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm not puttin' my lips on that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

prukinski posted:

It's not just a dude that has willpower any more, which I guess is the whole point of 2016's characterisation. Now he's just another rich oval office with some toys who gets his way while the game world bends over backwards to jerk off over what a RAD DUDE he is. You're playing a boomer mindset, or a billionaire appeasement simulator.

I can relate to this. I still really enjoyed both games - never actually finished Eternal though, I'm Too Young To Die and it was still too difficult for my casual rear end so I gave up at the miniboss battle with the eyeball in the indestructible cube. I should finish it. The game looked and sounded fantastic and the improved guns were cool and the gameplay was fun, if incredibly frustrating at times. But yeah, your comment is bang-on about how the devs were a bit high on their own farts and made the sequel very cheeseball in that specific way. It's no longer that you're simply Too Angry To Die, the lore (while admittedly quite imaginative) makes you into this Instrument of God, basically.

I'm also really, really soured about what the devs did to Mick Gordon. I still love the franchise and am very glad it got a reboot. A polycarbonate replica of the Super Shotgun sits on my desk, and a friend is working on a full Doomslayer cosplay for me (that I should probably do a cycle of tren before I can legitimately wear).

Phy posted:

I'm not puttin' my lips on that.

OK Punchy

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I realized I haven't played a doom game from this century so it's possible I'm out of touch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I realized I haven't played a doom game from this century so it's possible I'm out of touch.

Not even doom 3??

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Not even doom 3??

Is that the really dark one? I might have played a demo of it for a few minutes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The patch added a small torch to the shotgun! It was a good game

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

moxieman posted:

I really enjoyed the gameplay of eternal but could never quite articulate what bothered me so much about the setting/story/other bullshit. You nailed it.

In cycle pic content, this has made me think about video game bikes in general, and reminded me I’ve never gone back and looked at the bike from Full Throttle since I’ve gotten into motorcycles.

lmao. 80% exhaust pipes, 20% bike

From memory, 90% of Full Throttle is getting your sick hog to work again, which makes it the most accurate motorcycle simulator ever.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Author: "13 Street Bob FXDB Twin Cam 96CI 2+ front end with Progressive stiff suspension 15.75 rear Progressive stiff suspension Metzler m888 Marathon Ultras Vance & Hines upsweep two into one arleness big rotor kit arleness Big Air sucker and drag bars"

All I can think of is...track Harley? It almost looks raised, beyond just progressive springs. I want to ride it :lol:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Hell yeah that looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I've seen an XR1200 at the track before, but that isn't very surprising I guess. Also saw this once. He was not slow!

A Street Bob is a Dyna I believe, which notoriously wobbles at speed. Hopefully they fixed that.