Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I would buy skins sometimes if they were like, 5 bux. I've got 5 bux, I could throw that at a digital doll. :10bux:? forgeddaboudit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Honestly, forget selling in bundles. Sell pieces of the outfits piecemeal so we can make god cry with extremely mismatching outfits.

I'd guarantee that'd move more skins.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

widespread posted:

Honestly, forget selling in bundles. Sell pieces of the outfits piecemeal so we can make god cry with extremely mismatching outfits.

I'd guarantee that'd move more skins.

Actually, I hope Blizzard does that.
I stopped playing Team Fortress 2 once they'll added that and maybe it would be the final straw for me to stop playing Overwatch if they do that as well.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would buy skins sometimes if they were like, 5 bux. I've got 5 bux, I could throw that at a digital doll. :10bux:? forgeddaboudit

yeah i got the season four pack thing that's a skin + 1000 blizbucks which seemed reasonable. 10-15 dollars for just a skin is like ehhh

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
To give you an idea of how bad Lifeweaver is...

There are three top 50ish players right now (in every role) doing unranked to GMs on him who are stuck in Plat, and have been for upwards of 40 or 50 games. One of them is Dafran, who even did a mercy unranked to GM recently with relative ease.

The char has the lowest carry potential of any hero ever released because his damage is prob the worst in the entire game, and you can only rely on how good your team can make use of your own good play to thrive; you save people, they run back in and instantly die. You pull hitscan to high ground, they immediately jump down, etc. You can prob do good things on him at the highest level of play, but

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That reminds me, has anyone here actually watched one of those Bronze to GM Mercy climbs? Do they actually play proper Mercy in low metal ranks or do they just take out the gun and shoot everyone until they're in Plat or something?

I'm asking because I am starting to suspect that trying to focus on healing as a Support is a fool's errand, especially in low ranks, but I didn't find any compelling information for or against that idea.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

That reminds me, has anyone here actually watched one of those Bronze to GM Mercy climbs? Do they actually play proper Mercy in low metal ranks or do they just take out the gun and shoot everyone until they're in Plat or something?

I'm asking because I am starting to suspect that trying to focus on healing as a Support is a fool's errand, especially in low ranks, but I didn't find any compelling information for or against that idea.

Both, but its usually more good movement and not dying than popping an ult and fragging. The movement tech a good mercy will constantly pull off compared to a mediocre one is quite a huge gap.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mercy should be pulling out her pistol and winning duels and confirming kills. Watching the first 2 segment's of ML7s mercy unranked to gm gives a good guideline for when it's appropriate. There are just times when you see something that needs to be done and your team doesn't

headcase fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 28, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Unranked to GM runs are a little gross when you think about their impact on the community but I must admit they are fun to watch.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Pvt. Parts posted:

Unranked to GM runs are a little gross when you think about their impact on the community but I must admit they are fun to watch.

I can see the need for having a mercy account that doesn't mess with your world 7 ranked status. They are only metal for like a handful of matches.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

headcase posted:

I can see the need for having a mercy account that doesn't mess with your world 7 ranked status. They are only metal for like a handful of matches.

Well that's good, seems like Blizzard's anti-smurf measures are working well then.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

as an idiot casual, the amount of times a wifeleaver pulled my rear end out of unwinnable situations makes him one of my fav team mates

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

heard u like girls posted:

as an idiot casual, the amount of times a wifeleaver pulled my rear end out of unwinnable situations makes him one of my fav team mates

As a Rein main I hate him beyond all belief. I keep getting pulled out like 1 swing away from killing people and getting told "you are too in their face"

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

To give you an idea of how bad Lifeweaver is...

There are three top 50ish players right now (in every role) doing unranked to GMs on him who are stuck in Plat, and have been for upwards of 40 or 50 games. One of them is Dafran, who even did a mercy unranked to GM recently with relative ease.

The char has the lowest carry potential of any hero ever released because his damage is prob the worst in the entire game, and you can only rely on how good your team can make use of your own good play to thrive; you save people, they run back in and instantly die. You pull hitscan to high ground, they immediately jump down, etc. You can prob do good things on him at the highest level of play, but

what makes his damage so bad? his attack doesn't seem terrible.

I have been trying out Zenyata, and you get quite a lot of full-charge right click corner peak one-shot type things so compared to that is bad?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Pvt. Parts posted:

I remember watching Tesla do a Moira bronze to GM run, where he was trying to play just well enough to advance in each rank but not go crazy. After two losses in a row he got annoyed and just let loose for a game in bronze. If I remember correctly he had 78 elims and 32k damage as Moira. For a good part of the match just spawn locking their entire team solo. Obviously if that happened all the time it'd be horrible but it was pretty funny to watch

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

appropriatemetaphor posted:

what makes his damage so bad? his attack doesn't seem terrible.

I have been trying out Zenyata, and you get quite a lot of full-charge right click corner peak one-shot type things so compared to that is bad?

It's not especially accurate, nor does it do a ton of damage. You lose pretty much any duel you take unless your opponent is going to miss their shots.

But most damning of all, the character design itself seems to penalize doing damage a lot of the time. The delay they added to compensate for not having to switch weapons, the fact that you charge his primary to heal tiny amounts. Just trying to do damage often means someone on your team is going to die as a result.

I think any other support has much higher damage potential, and that includes Mercy who suffers from a lot of the same issues, except her pistol is probably still more reliable than LW, and she has the damage beam to contribute to damage with.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

his damage and healing are not good enough to justify an opportunity window for your opponents in the form of reloading. Just let him shoot infinitely, and maybe also increase the damage per thorn slightly

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

better mercies just don't die, but they also don't comically undervalue damage boosting

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXG6XDIPFU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It's fair to say Diamond is past the problematic area of ranked, and players will usually recognize and capitalize on your good play as LW rather than sabotage your team, or throw away advantages.

You can make some really amazing plays on him, like petaling a grav to save your team, or treeing at just the right time and location to completely turn a fight. The problem is since he lacks almost any kind of solo carry potential, your carry potential comes from how well the people on your team can utilize the advantages you provide to them.

I like the hero design. But he's a terrible OW character and probably always will be for 90% of the people that play the game.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

uhh you could make the exact same criticisms of mercy but she's probably the most played and enjoyed support at lower ranks and she can do well all the way to top 500

lifeweaver has some similarities in that he has a pretty chill lower effort healing ability with similar healing output

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's no doubt that Mercy is probably the 2nd most difficult hero to solo carry on, but I think the gap between even her and LW is pretty significant. You simply have to not die on Mercy (which is in most scenarios a lot easier than LW) to get value; you tend to draw more aggro more easily, you damage boost past break points, and you get valuable reses off. Some of these super GM players who are stuck on plat with weaver can end a game with like 1 death and 16k healing and still have accomplished nothing and lost.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

stats are a really bad arbiter of in-game performance and you can only tell from watching someone's gameplay

maybe they're making really bad decisions for the character and keep trying to bruteforce it

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
True for some stats, specifically damage, elims, objective time. Low deaths is probably the most significant stat from an objective standpoint; it's almost never a bad thing providing the person is contributing as much as or more than the rest of the team.. You could make a argument that a player on a hero like Genji or Tracer with low deaths may not be taking enough calculated risks to the extent of hurting their gameplay, but I don't think you are gonna look at an LW's gameplay with masterful positioning and significant healing contribution to every fight and say they weren't contributing enough to win fights. The point is, the deficit that comes from his lack of solo potential has to be made up for by your teammates. Mercy also relies on teammates, but getting a big res is a much more common play than protecting your entire team with pedal, for example.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lifeweaver's pull has a similar potential as res to undo a death

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe I’m nuts but I preferred LW’s old controls. I simply rebound swap weapons to reload, and since the auto-reload was the exact same time as a normal reload, if I ran out of ammo or needed to refill my healing orbs I’d just shoot thorns for a second or so. It felt much more fluid than the current setup where there’s a weird delay and the autoreload feels unreliable

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Maybe I’m nuts but I preferred LW’s old controls.

Pretty sure you can change it back in the control settings.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I had my first few good games as Ball tonight, what a loving blast. I'm always wary of tanks who pick ball or doomfist, but if you're sufficiently good at disrupting the other team you're fine. It took me a long time to just get used to Ball's physics, but now I'm solid at booping and pile driving. Having a good tracer who helped follow up on kills absolutely helped.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I just started playing this game last week and I'm enjoying it a fair amount in unranked. I'm not a big pvp fps player other than having a couple thousand hours in tf2 years and years ago, but it's really scratching the itch.

I'm not really interested in playing competitively, but are the players in low ranked any better? Unranked seems fine but occasionally you get one of those teams who don't understand the basics of team games, ie group up and don't run as fast as possible into a 5v1 fight after respawning. I actually kind of like how the game design makes a team winning a big team fight snowball into a victory because it usually results in a quick win.

I've messed around with most of the tanks (even won a couple with zarya) but I think I'm gonna stick to support for now while I learn the mechanics a bit better - in comparison to playing medic in tf2 playing pub support in overwatch is a lot more fun. I played Moira for a couple days but I am loving briggete's playstyle, it's so satisfying finishing a round with you and your tank both on 0 deaths, and I feel like the shield and whip kit really lets you bully the hell out of a lot of the smaller classes/anyone who overextends.

Fun game!

field balm fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 29, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know at what point players learn to group the gently caress up but it's definitely not at Platinum or before.
Sometimes using the voice chat to tell people to group up instead of fighting 1v5 but most of the time it doesn't.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
t500 mercy can probably pull off a 90+% winrate in everything up to at least diamond with only minimal amounts of blaster mercy.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

field balm posted:

I just started playing this game last week and I'm enjoying it a fair amount in unranked. I'm not a big pvp fps player other than having a couple thousand hours in tf2 years and years ago, but it's really scratching the itch.

I'm not really interested in playing competitively, but are the players in low ranked any better? Unranked seems fine but occasionally you get one of those teams who don't understand the basics of team games, ie group up and don't run as fast as possible into a 5v1 fight after respawning. I actually kind of like how the game design makes a team winning a big team fight snowball into a victory because it usually results in a quick win.

I've messed around with most of the tanks (even won a couple with zarya) but I think I'm gonna stick to support for now while I learn the mechanics a bit better - in comparison to playing medic in tf2 playing pub support in overwatch is a lot more fun. I played Moira for a couple days but I am loving briggete's playstyle, it's so satisfying finishing a round with you and your tank both on 0 deaths, and I feel like the shield and whip kit really lets you bully the hell out of a lot of the smaller classes/anyone who overextends.

Fun game!

I believe that QP/unranked uses a hidden MMR so just keep playing and eventually your opponents and team will get better, don't quote me on that though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pvt. Parts posted:

eventually your opponents and team will get better

lol

lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

New OWL name plate is in the wrong aspect ratio, lol.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I ad a life weaver ‘save’ me the other day by pulling me into ram’s annihilation. I was soldier sprinting away and I would have made it out alive. :commissar:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
As someone who likes to play Ball or Doomfist badly the LW pulls save me more often than not lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mister Fister posted:

I ad a life weaver ‘save’ me the other day by pulling me into ram’s annihilation. I was soldier sprinting away and I would have made it out alive. :commissar:

He really didn't want you to stagger.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nutsak posted:

Pretty sure you can change it back in the control settings.

The point is they nerfed his auto-reload. Before once you got a hang of the timing you literally never needed to reload because it was the same time, now if you do this you lower your healing output

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

how does the reload even work? seems like sometimes a reload happens after switching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

how does the reload even work? seems like sometimes a reload happens after switching?

It works the same for all the characters (Hammond, Mercy, Ramattra), afaik.
If you don't have the weapon equipped for as long as it would take for that weapon to reload, then it automatically reloads.

EDIT. Correction, Liveweaver seems to be a special case. His weapons take 1.5 seconds to reload but need to be sheathed for 2.5 seconds to reload automatically.