Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Oakwynd opens in a month. That’ll be a new EQ TLP, which may be a jumping off point if you wanted to do the progression thing. It should be pretty friendly to single-box players.

If you want to do the merc progression, Mischief won’t be there for a few months more. It’s a great server to hop in for mid-expansions content, being level 75 cap and free trade, however the majority of players will be at cap and you may have issues with lack of population at lower level content.

I’d check out Firiona Vie server for Live. That’s probably the friendliest live server for leveling new, and has free trade, or Test if you just want to dip your toes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

koreban posted:

Oakwynd opens in a month. That’ll be a new EQ TLP, which may be a jumping off point if you wanted to do the progression thing. It should be pretty friendly to single-box players.

If you want to do the merc progression, Mischief won’t be there for a few months more. It’s a great server to hop in for mid-expansions content, being level 75 cap and free trade, however the majority of players will be at cap and you may have issues with lack of population at lower level content.

I’d check out Firiona Vie server for Live. That’s probably the friendliest live server for leveling new, and has free trade, or Test if you just want to dip your toes in.

I...did not see that a new progression server was literally coming out. That probably makes the most sense. I assume it's proper classic EQ where soloing for most classes isn't possible after the first few levels? If I can pretty much always join and leave a group that might not be a problem.

In the mean time I'll take your suggestion and roll on Firiona Vie to try and learn some mechanics before the TLP launches.

Thank you all for the help.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

everwake posted:

I...did not see that a new progression server was literally coming out. That probably makes the most sense. I assume it's proper classic EQ where soloing for most classes isn't possible after the first few levels? If I can pretty much always join and leave a group that might not be a problem.

New server is supposed to be amenable to single accounters who don’t want to box. The No drop loot is all heirloom so you can share it between your characters if you want to pivot to a different melee/hybrid/caster/priest etc. Pick up grouping ought to be solid through to planes of power then it falls off a bit in my experience. That’s a little under a year I think which brings you up to next years tlp probably, usually a good juncture for people to decide if they want to double down, reroll or take a break.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Yiggy posted:

New server is supposed to be amenable to single accounters who don’t want to box.

Not only that, but in theory this will be one of the less grief-y servers due to FTE. Maybe. But some of us live for conflict.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Not only that, but in theory this will be one of the less grief-y servers due to FTE. Maybe. But some of us live for conflict.

It makes timers far far more valuable thats for sure. in old days we had problems with telaporting or /picking people jumping picks, but they would never be perfectly on the ball, just close enough to out dps whoever was sitting on the camp.

Efreeti is just gonna be A) we sit on it, or B) someone trys to move in with a faster tagging crew. (Wizard AOE rains on timer I assume)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, that version of multiplicity that was linked earlier with the fix for the satellite/secondary computer mouse clicks registering on the primary computer, works great but introduced a new issue (for me) I'm curious if others are having it.

When I go to "unload multiplicity" aka close it, it won't close unless I restart the services first, even if I have JUST launched it fresh, anyone else having this problem?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

PyRosflam posted:

Efreeti is just gonna be A) we sit on it, or B) someone trys to move in with a faster tagging crew. (Wizard AOE rains on timer I assume)

As someone who didn't have a problem getting greasy and planting the flag, this is really obnoxious for all parties involved. Obviously, it's gonna happen but I imagine it'll be less bad than previous TLPs. Like with 2x Necro/Necro+Shm/sk whatever showing up and ruining you're day

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

As someone who didn't have a problem getting greasy and planting the flag, this is really obnoxious for all parties involved. Obviously, it's gonna happen but I imagine it'll be less bad than previous TLPs. Like with 2x Necro/Necro+Shm/sk whatever showing up and ruining you're day

Hah, At one point I had my guild calling because for every necro / shm we added, they were somehow able to bring 1 more.

Classic just has to few high value items I guess.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Waroduce posted:

9 hours! was super fun

congrats, that’s a lot of raids in a short time. Txevu into tacvi at the end of that must have been exhausting.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can’t have been worse than the PoP launch race lol

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Can’t have been worse than the PoP launch race lol

With instanced PoStorms giants dropping shards now, is there even a PoP bottleneck? It’s all just drops and kills with what should be minimal competition.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea but it’s like a 60 hour race compared to 9 hours or so.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah the luclin->PoP launches are brutal, I forget our clear times for both but they were extremely fast and I was loving dead tired.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Waroduce posted:

9 hours! was super fun

Well done !

Am I right in thinking that Summoner's Ring (or circle) isn't needed for the progression to request the Ikky raids ? I've read a couple of recent posts on guides that say its only needed for BiC. Would be nice to skip that for now...

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Baconroll posted:

Well done !

Am I right in thinking that Summoner's Ring (or circle) isn't needed for the progression to request the Ikky raids ? I've read a couple of recent posts on guides that say its only needed for BiC. Would be nice to skip that for now...

Correct, that event is only for BiC

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
What a god drat pain in the rear end this was!

I snagged a couple of the AC augs from Riftseeker's Sanctum, got all my boxes to 75, picked up some better gear, found some more cheap AC augs, and finally managed to beat these 3 quests!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
You will not regret it. Promise.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've changed my mind and will start a character on the new server at the end of May. Yelinak is getting to the stage of everyone just raid logging outside the first week or 2 of a new expansion, so I'll play on the new server in the downtime.

Leaning towards playing a Bard - groups tend to want them and you can slack a bit without drama. I loved the enchanter but you just don't get a break and theres a constant assumption you'll always have a charm pet - which requires constant babysitting.

The only downside to the Bard is the gap in mezzing from halfway through Kunark until Luclin when the missing song is back-filled.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

koreban posted:

You will not regret it. Promise.

Alright, having a geared SK with decrepit skin + druid reptile + mage/druid/bard PB AE in Fibblebrap 5 is pretty great. I only just tried it out for a few minutes and I have some macro optimizations and probably spell optimizations with my group to do but this seems amazing so far. My poor shaman doesn't much to do, most of the work seems to be coming from the mage/bard damage shield with a little help from the monk and SK melee damage.

Thanks all for helping me get here! Any tips on optimizing AE damage to go along with the damage shields?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Coolnezzz posted:

Alright, having a geared SK with decrepit skin + druid reptile + mage/druid/bard PB AE in Fibblebrap 5 is pretty great. I only just tried it out for a few minutes and I have some macro optimizations and probably spell optimizations with my group to do but this seems amazing so far. My poor shaman doesn't much to do, most of the work seems to be coming from the mage/bard damage shield with a little help from the monk and SK melee damage.

Thanks all for helping me get here! Any tips on optimizing AE damage to go along with the damage shields?

Your shaman has an AE poison cone which should work nicely. Shamans get it from the level 69 spell arc in DoDh.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Looks like Yelinak server is crumbling. Lots of people raid-logging and a fraction of the overall number of people of past TLPs I've played on during GoD.

A combination of 'got all my AAs already' and 'new server in a few weeks' I guess.

Think I'll definitely be heading to Oakwynd - I don't care about the ruleset or what expansion its on, I just like playing with real people instead of boxes.

Just need to sell a little more junk in the bazaar and I'll have 4 Kronos to take with me !

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Server pop seems fine on Yelinak to me? Our guild is still going super strong. I’m sure there’s less pick up groups in general but that’s the norm for this far into a server’s life. I think the terrible ruleset for the new server was the best thing that could have happened for the Yelinak population.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm a euro-timezone player so its usually quiet, but its very noticeably even quieter for me now.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Is a slow time in general but GoD not super exciting (in my opinion) so I sort of understand the late expac slump for it. The compression of classic and kunark also landed GoD at an earlier window for yelinak. On aradune we had GoD land at the end of summer, after the tlp launch rush. For Yelinak it’s landing before summer at the beginning of a tlp launch cycle. People are going outside more doesn’t help the other factors.

I feel like when I was in GoD last I ran out of stuff to do fairly quickly. Can only pre-farm a fraction of 2.0 epic stuff, and the aa counts per expac are really low. I think I spent the time finishing BIC on alts, finishing my LDoN charm Aug and working on tradeskills. I don’t remember a ton of activity because everyone was off on mischief.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Everyone is still on mischief, though krono is over 1million at this point which is disappointing, it jumped about 600k-800k in 1-2 weeks :(

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

On aradune we were down to 40k krono at end of SoF. Prices were low enough Richgirly showed up to hustle the gamblers again. Then SoD hit and OMMs just dumped a huge stream of plat into the economy and now we’re up to 150k again for first time in over a year I wanna say, maybe two. Krono fell for like 18 months straight for us.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
My final cash-out on Yelinak got me 5 Kronos in total - would have been a lot more but I blew most of my droppable loot on tribute a week ago !

All my alts are now looking very sorry for themselves stripped of all their droppable gear !

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

True story, richgirly once paid an Oggwhomp sock puppet to do double duty serving drinks and act as a bouncer for a high roller event on Aradune. It wasn't +EV but I was interested in the the roleplay opportunity. Payout of was fine but some people took the opportunity to try to speak down to the help.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Yiggy posted:

Is a slow time in general but GoD not super exciting (in my opinion) so I sort of understand the late expac slump for it. The compression of classic and kunark also landed GoD at an earlier window for yelinak. On aradune we had GoD land at the end of summer, after the tlp launch rush. For Yelinak it’s landing before summer at the beginning of a tlp launch cycle. People are going outside more doesn’t help the other factors.

I feel like when I was in GoD last I ran out of stuff to do fairly quickly. Can only pre-farm a fraction of 2.0 epic stuff, and the aa counts per expac are really low. I think I spent the time finishing BIC on alts, finishing my LDoN charm Aug and working on tradeskills. I don’t remember a ton of activity because everyone was off on mischief.

BiC kind of carries GoD for out of raid activity I think. I did a ton of helping guild mates during the two months of GoD on aradune. Aside from that there was primals/goats/ikkinz group trials for loot,
Tipt flagging alts, farming AC augs, running VT/Time for clickies, and leveling alts. I think without being motivated to level and gear some alts (switching from enchanter to monk) I would have burned out faster.

The real attrition slog is month 2 of Omens until DoDh 3 months later. Those are rough times. It’s very active until 2.0, AC augs and spells are farmed then it’s desolate.

I think GoD is the beginning of the end of pick up group activity and that’s noticeable for people who aren’t in strong guilds. Like just the idea of doing Tipt with random people is horrifying. You’d rather not play than try to form pick up groups for GoD content. If your guild is busy then the expansion feels busy, otherwise it’s a bust.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 6, 2023

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Solarin posted:

I think GoD is the beginning of the end of pick up group activity and that’s noticeable for people who aren’t in strong guilds. Like just the idea of doing Tipt with random people is horrifying. You’d rather not play than try to form pick up groups for GoD content. If your guild is busy then the expansion feels busy, otherwise it’s a bust.

I think another aspect of it is that the increase in mob difficulty starts to intensify the dynamic where you need tanks with some raid gear to start tanking your group content (splitpaw doesn’t count I guess but maybe that’s why all the groups end up there). The absence of a tank is seriously felt and everyone by then is spoiled by a soon-to-be-defunct group meta that leveraged charm pets to take care of everything. Before GoD in lots of situations you can get away with off meta groups but that starts getting punished. So you need a tank with some gear and the ones around are always raid logging, in a clique or boxing.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Heading to Oakwynd 'cause my friend wants to get on the ride from the start. Are rangers fun in vanilla? Never played one.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Verbose posted:

Heading to Oakwynd 'cause my friend wants to get on the ride from the start. Are rangers fun in vanilla? Never played one.

Rangers can tank group stuff now a days. your like the bonus tank I guess. Top DPS for a few xpacs too

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Verbose posted:

Yep rangers are good - if you really want to standout then snare every mob that can run. The majority of people are too idle/afk to bother.

In zones like Upper Guk/Lower Guk live side/Sol A/Sol B your snare is really needed. In Kunark for Seb & Chardok too.

I've also seen good rangers do some really effective CC with root parking mobs - lots of classes could do this, but again few would even try. Be the exception !

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Did something somehow change in the past couple years that made rangers not die when something looks at them? You definitely cannot tank as well as the other tanks, and rangers do worse dps than any melee dps, and die while pulling more often in dungeons than a monk will. Rangers are good for luclin when they are auto hotkey bow snipers.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember Rangers being one of the worst classes in Vanilla (with Paladins and Rogues) but I haven’t played one in forever.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Rangers peaks in PoP I felt like. They start meleeing again in gates and omens but they’re pretty mediocre for a long time. So many expansions later in Seeds of Destruction they’re improving again but I don’t know where that ends. On our parses they’re creeping up into top ten but usually #6-10. Sometimes one of the splitting guilds will share a split parse with the rangers on top.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

RCarr posted:

I remember Rangers being one of the worst classes in Vanilla (with Paladins and Rogues) but I haven’t played one in forever.

Well I played a paladin on Yelinak so lol

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

RCarr posted:

Rangers tank as good anyone else in Classic. They have real good snap aggro. They have less AC but AC doesn't really start mattering for a long long time.

Paladins are pretty good and get a bad rap because they aren't AS good as SKs. But they are perfectly fine for tanking group content. Best part of being a paladin on a TLP is there usually aren't a ton of them, so its easy to get raid geared.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rangers can tank for a group in classic. poo poo like Ivy Etched Tunic and having a bag with swap-in AC gear for when you need to tank is fine.

It’s far from Warrior tanking, but it’s fine. You get kick and taunt and can hold aggro well enough as long as wizards aren’t chain blasting. It’s fine.

Dps is middling and like everything else in classic is very dependent on which weapons you can get. Archery doesn’t get good until Endless Quiver, but if you want to dump play into fletching, you can keep yourself in arrows well enough to be alright in that.

Snare and root are where you can really shine. If you can manage to keep mana enough to maintain snare on mobs that run and/or root things for CC/tanking, you’ll be better than 95% of dps players and most tanks in classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

Rangers can tank for a group in classic. poo poo like Ivy Etched Tunic and having a bag with swap-in AC gear for when you need to tank is fine.

It’s far from Warrior tanking, but it’s fine. You get kick and taunt and can hold aggro well enough as long as wizards aren’t chain blasting. It’s fine.

Forget kick and taunt, you get flame lick and snare, that's all you need to make a paladin or SK hate you if you want to mess with their agro.