Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I used to work for a major 4-letter ridesharing service investigating reports of the most heinous or depressing things to happen on rideshare rides and my entire department was begging for more days off to cope with the stress, and their eventual solution was to bring in a one-time guest speaker to lecture us about mental health, whose advice for dealing with the stress included things like "Stop drinking, hydrate more, and make sure you get plenty of sleep". And then when we came in the next day we all had a candy bar on our desk.

e: Basically never work for SV startups unless you get stock options you can leave with quickly.

Anywhere that offers you stock options to stay generally sucks poo poo. Its basically an admission of "yes, we suck, working here sucks, but if you leave you'll lose a thousand bucks (that you dont get for three years)."

I walked away from decent four figures of stock options at ingersol rand (which in the UK is fairly unusual anyway) because of just how poo poo it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elysiume posted:

Dogfooding has its pros and cons with how it's developed as a corpo term, but this is far from dogfooding. This is...I don't really have a word for this. It's more like bribing people to vote for something.

actually, itd bribing people to be his friend

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mr Musk please don't listen to Maher, drink as much seawater as you can

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol, goddamn. I've never seen that before.

That is some epic levels of hand-waving.

'Yeah, we'll just easily find some water and identify some hazards. Maybe throw up Martian Cape Canaveral in the afternoon. No biggie. It's a base on Mars, how hard could it be?'. :shrug:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Deptfordx posted:

'Yeah, we'll just easily find some water and identify some hazards. Maybe throw up Martian Cape Canaveral in the afternoon. No biggie. It's a base on Mars, how hard could it be?'. :shrug:
I mean hell, I can identify some Mars hazards. First off, it's Mars. poo poo sucks. Second off, no breathable air, no potable water, no growable dirt, no edible food. I figure I've identified some extra hazards which offsets my lack of landing crafts on Mars, which puts me even with those plans and ahead of his reality.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do people still get all bent out of shape when someone says that manned space exploration is a complete waste of resources?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do people still get all bent out of shape when someone says that manned space exploration is a complete waste of resources?
Mass Effect: Andromeda was a flop and everyone signed an agreement in response that said that space exploration was just a tempting idea that produced bad videogames.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah that's not dogfood, this is more like buying your own books to make it look like someone is reading that poo poo.

Artificial inflation

But getting your employees to do it directly is scummy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk

Apparently billionaires don't have any money to prop their business up

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Deptfordx posted:

"Build up base to prepare for expansion" this motherfucker has been playing Red Alert too much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elysiume posted:

I mean hell, I can identify some Mars hazards. First off, it's Mars. poo poo sucks. Second off, no breathable air, no potable water, no growable dirt, no edible food. I figure I've identified some extra hazards which offsets my lack of landing crafts on Mars, which puts me even with those plans and ahead of his reality.
Thankfully our genius boy already addressed this by setting up all necessary life support systems in step 2

Infinitum posted:

Artificial inflation

But getting your employees to do it directly is scummy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk

Apparently billionaires don't have any money to prop their business up
Yeah thanks that's the name. It's scummy but since twitter is now private I guess that ok?

E:
https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1652082508148744197

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 29, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's no man's sky

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

“You’re a likable guy. They attack you a lot and you seem to laugh it off, which I think is fantastic,” said Maher. “I love it that you have a sense of humor because a guy as important as you who makes changes could use your powers for evil and not good.”

“You have a sense of humor,” Maher continued. “You like laughing, you like to be funny, as opposed to somebody like Zuckerberg who I’m not even sure is a real boy.”

Funniest thing Bill Maher has ever said, hands down

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh my God Maher can you just retire already?

The loving King Boomer and Ebaum in the same room, good God that is Hell

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

somehow

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
It's almost as if no one wants to be around poo poo people

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

What was up with Interstellar? It has all this world building at the start wrt climate catastrophe, then at the end it's like "and all the naysayers were wrong, we didn't need to protect Earth after all, we all just needed to go live in a glorious space station utopia".

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Beartaco posted:

What was up with Interstellar? It has all this world building at the start wrt climate catastrophe, then at the end it's like "and all the naysayers were wrong, we didn't need to protect Earth after all, we all just needed to go live in a glorious space station utopia".
Wasn't it that there was a massive ongoing blight that was incrementally knocking out various crops due to degeneracy? The whole "mr. waow sends space secrets back in time via interpersonal bonds" thing was a huge handwave, but I assumed that the tech that he was able to send back was enough of a tech boost, either in terms of addressing or quarantining the blights, that humanity was able to overcome it. Interstellar never gave me the vibe that abandoning earth was part of its message. The message was that our interpersonal bonds are what give us strength.

e: okay that feels super twee when I reread that post but I think the main point was that Brand and Cooper both had fair points. Brand's whole thing was leaning too hard on emotion and Cooper was obsessed with the mission because he wanted to get back to his family, and then it turned out that emotional bonds were what let Cooper save humanity in the end. Both Brand and Cooper were willing to sacrifice themselves to the betterment of others — whether it was one person or many — and together they were able to get humanity a foothold in a post-blight reality. I don't think it was a message of "abandon earth, the future is among the stars," it was "when all hope is lost, reconsider everything." Cooper in the tesseract was sacrificing all that he could to figure out something workable: at the end of everything, hold onto anything.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 29, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Seeing that movie on an IMAX screen was one of the greatest theater experiences ever, especially when they land on the ocean planet and the camera cuts to that huuuuuuuge wave cresting over

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

haljordan posted:

Seeing that movie on an IMAX screen was one of the greatest theater experiences ever, especially when they land on the ocean planet and the camera cuts to that huuuuuuuge wave cresting over
That entire planet gives me chills.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

quote:

In Friday’s Real Time interview, Maher implied that having more babies was shortsighted given how Earth’s resources have already grown scarce, and “lots of people don’t have enough food or water.” Musk pushed back, saying, “Earth is 70 percent water by surface area.” Maher quipped: “But you can’t drink that.” When Musk protested that “desalination is absurdly cheap,” he countered, “Why don’t we do it, then?

Both of them should do it tbh

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Beartaco posted:

I don't know. I don't remember what happened in it. I do remember they had a robot that was like the Tungsten alien from The Simpsons. Something like that wouldn't be a waste of resources unless we just jettisoned it off into space to be gone forever.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

mobby_6kl posted:

Bluesky is shaping to be the perfect replacement

Big torment nexus vibes

https://twitter.com/AlexBlechman/status/1457842724128833538

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Musk should be desalinated

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/keplyq/status/1652274531774464001

The screenshotted post is real and part of the dumbest thread I've ever seen. Not even going to link it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Radio Paranoia posted:

This is going to happen with every post-Twitter clone and it will always be hilarious. You cannot prevent posting.

:justpost:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

After Musk responded that he was a fan of comedy, and revealed he was once in Maher’s audience himself years ago, Maher replied, “Let me get back to you being a genius.”

"I enjoy comedy" is something a normal person would totally say.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Elysiume posted:

Dogfooding has its pros and cons with how it's developed as a corpo term, but this is far from dogfooding. This is...I don't really have a word for this. It's more like bribing people to vote for something.

Wash trading for chud youtubers.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

haljordan posted:

"I enjoy comedy" is something a normal person would totally say.

He’s providing plenty of it with his “Dork Lowtax” act on Twitter to be fair

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Bluesky is SA but huge.jpg is allowed"

goons: "I need invite"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Desalination is cheap, if you have no space restrictions for natural evap pans or a local abundance of cheap electricity. And you're near the sea. And the sea water isn't overly polluted. And you're not in a conflict zone. And you don't have an overly corrupt system that will just restrict access to the water as a means of control. Etc.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

OH MY GOD, REALLY?! (I know the tweets were already posted but this article has a lot of good context)

Twitter founder Jack Dorsey says Musk wasn’t an ideal leader after all

quote:

The criticisms and explanations came in a series of reply posts Friday night on the fledgling social network Bluesky, a potential Twitter rival that Dorsey helped to start. The remarks illustrate how Musk’s erratic leadership has disillusioned a one-time friend and powerful ally, reflecting a growing backlash against a tumultuous tenure that has sent advertisers fleeing and users searching for alternatives.

Dorsey said he thought Musk, the Tesla CEO who serves in the same role at Twitter today, should have paid $1 billion to back out of the deal to acquire the social media platform. The comments are a stark reversal from Dorsey’s strong endorsement of Musk’s takeover, when he wrote a year ago that if Twitter had to be a company at all, “Elon is the singular solution I trust.”

“I trust his mission to extend the light of consciousness,” Dorsey tweeted at the time.

In his remarks on Bluesky on Friday, Dorsey struck a far different tone.

Dorsey said he didn’t think Musk “acted right” after pursuing the site and realizing his potential mistake, adding that he did not believe the company’s board should have forced the sale.

“It all went south,” Dorsey added.

Non-paywall link: https://wapo.st/3LjUzZh

Huge lol:

quote:

Dorsey rolled over his $1 billion stake in Twitter into Musk’s privatized Twitter, The Post previously reported.

I wonder what that stake is currently worth.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 29, 2023

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Wait. Dorsey didn't cash out when Elon bought Twitter? My god, all these billionaires are just the stupidest

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Next you'll tell me Mark Cuban thinks Musk mishandled the blue checkmarks

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

Wait. Dorsey didn't cash out when Elon bought Twitter? My god, all these billionaires are just the stupidest

I chortled quite heartily when I read that. Also there was no way in hell the board was going to turn down an offer that amounted to a 40% per-share premium on a company whose business model consisted mainly of shoveling money into a furnace.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 29, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. But it's his baby and I'm assuming he's rich as gently caress anyway to be actually concerned if he's going to lose money on it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

on a similar note, apparently "unlimited" PTO or vacation has workers being guilttrip'ed into taking below the industry mean.

I've been offered jobs with "unlimited" PTO and it's really funny how dodgy they get when you start asking how much PTO employees actually take on average lmao

Meanwhile I had a union job where people were given a generous but not unlimited amount of PTO that people would actually use because you could only hold on to a finite amount (you could bank what you didn't spend but you'd stop earning more if you had accumulated too much)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Does Dorsey still have that "disgraced magician" look to him?

mfer walking around like Rasputin with a severe vitamin deficiency

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 29, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Underwhelmed posted:

Musk should be desalinated

You can't desalinate the world's saltiest man

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Thundercracker posted:

iirc jack kept his shares so his friend elon would have to pay less when he bought twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

haljordan posted:

OH MY GOD, REALLY?! (I know the tweets were already posted but this article has a lot of good context)

Twitter founder Jack Dorsey says Musk wasn’t an ideal leader after all

Non-paywall link: https://wapo.st/3LjUzZh

Huge lol:

I wonder what that stake is currently worth.

"I never thought the CEO of Eating Faces Inc. would eat my face!"