Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
SPA 6hrs just started, the weather is dire, lots of cars are spinning out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the amount of time you lose on new cold tyres is insane

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spaceblancmange posted:

the amount of time you lose on new cold tyres is insane

Only the Ferrari hypercars are suffering tho, not a good sign.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

:ferrari:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

vanwall and glick just almost binned their cars after changing the tires so yay I guess.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

gently caress

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/1652289985590992897

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Cadillac turned into shards. Driver is fine thank good.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

trying to find the video of him bowing to the crowd.

That was the brand new chassis for le mans too

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Solved his Cadillac problem.

Speaking of solving problems, here’s the homie Matt Hagan putting it into the sand

https://m.facebook.com/NHRA/videos/matt-hagan-into-the-sand-in-charlotte/906394323751722/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lots of hypercars getting shredded due to tires being so cold. Current list is one Porsche, one Cadillac, one Vanwall and now one Ferrari.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Race over, with an insane Ferrari HY overtake on the last lap. There has been a few bad takes from race control(5 secs for Toyota for a offtrack overtake while three minutes for a safety car infraction on Prema) but overall the results would have been the same anyway. It looks like lemans is going to be a blast.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Solid race.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Thought for sure Sarah Bovy and the gang would be first women to win in the WEC but Wadoux beat them too it. While she isn’t getting the same publicity as Doriane Pin, she sure can drive.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

SlowBloke posted:

Lots of hypercars getting shredded due to tires being so cold. Current list is one Porsche, one Cadillac, one Vanwall and now one Ferrari.

And the 8 Toyota in practice. It just seems way too dangerous, Ferrari were about a minute off the pace on an outlap, cars were losing control in 3rd in a straight line. At least it wasn't quite as cold as when it snowed a few years ago.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They should do burnouts

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

coconono posted:

They should do burnouts

They started allowing burnouts this year, the Hypercar tires don't even smoke they're so slippy when they're cold.

I wonder if scrubbing them in before the race would help at all

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They started allowing burnouts this year, the Hypercar tires don't even smoke they're so slippy when they're cold.

I wonder if scrubbing them in before the race would help at all

gasoline really helps.

E: I'm serious those open wheels would be pretty conducive to gas burns. Probably safer.

coconono fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 30, 2023

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

coconono posted:

Speaking of solving problems, here’s the homie Matt Hagan putting it into the sand

https://m.facebook.com/NHRA/videos/matt-hagan-into-the-sand-in-charlotte/906394323751722/

lol the chutes popping out at the very end

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Today we put a motorcycle in the sand. I’ll post the vid when they get it up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Speaking of motorcycles, looks like I'll be going to Spa for the 24h EWC motos June 16-18. What's the better camping area, camping yellow or camping green?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Finally got the last two hours of Spa watched, no thanks to TV2 not showing it on any channels before early this morning.

It's impressive how close the race was, especially for the secondary positions - so one can hope that it translates to an even closer race in France.

Speaking of racing in France, I can't help but wonder why the LMH car with the lowest amount of drag from downforce is the one that's slowest on the straight.
One of the commentators on TV2 pretty much outright stated that he thought they were sandbagging, in order to win on the 100th anniversary of the first 24 hour race.

SlowBloke posted:

Cadillac turned into shards. Driver is fine thank good.
It was apparently entirely new-from-the-factory, too.

coconono posted:

The parachutes popping out at the end is loving hilarious!

SlowBloke posted:

5 secs for Toyota for a offtrack overtake while three minutes for a safety car infraction on Prema
Yeah, I've got no idea why Kobayashi didn't get at least a minute stop-and-go, he practically needed a passport to get onto the track after being that far off it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lol

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1653384146662862848

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i'll boycot this until GT comes to PC

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Can I ask any goons that have experience going to lemans to help me out? I want to check if what I think I need to pack is adequate and a few other things. I don’t want to poo poo up the thread so feel free to PM or send me an email (SAuser at hotmail.com). Thanks!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I think they should reply in the thread because I’m going and am also curious :kiddo:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

I think they should reply in the thread because I’m going and am also curious :kiddo:

If the mods don’t mind, I have no qualms about writing here :)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If the mods don’t mind, I have no qualms about writing here :)

It’s me, sitting here taking notes for future years. Feel free.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Well it’s the first time for me so I’m pretty clueless. My ear pro is broken and I’m getting a set of Peltor worktunes so if I feel bored I can listen to music or commentary. If I got the basic access package(no grandstands) what areas do I have access to? Do I need “picnic” kit (mats and towels) or there are lesser stands to stay under cover? I need to hit decathlon for cheap technical wear anyway so that would help greatly to know.

I’ll be packing at least one powerbank and sunscreen after what I’ve learned at monza 6hrs(where I had to find power desperately and getting sunburned) plus a few water bottles(0.75-1l) just to be sure.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 5, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

First I need to ask: do you have an extra entry ticket? Does anyone? Does anyone know anyone? We're one short because we picked up an extra person but didn't pick up an extra ticket. Race week, race weekend, anything.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

With basic access you'll have access to the whole village area, as well as Mulsanne and Arnage. Arnage is just about walkable I'd say, though it will take a while. If you have a bike or scooter or something it's more manageable. There are shuttle busses to those areas, but expect lineups to be immense.
There are lots of free seating areas to watch the race from, I recommend some sort of folding chair though. Everyone there will have them so if you're sitting on the grass or dirt, you'll won't be able to see over them.
Personal favourite areas to watch from in the village are on the other side of the big food block opposite the Guinness tent (or whatever they're calling it this year). It gets crowded but if you can claim a place there it's a good vantage point of the braking zones up to the Dunlop bridge. Either side of the track on down the hill from Dunlop have good sightlines and are pretty popular. The north side gets some cover from trees.
At night you can access the public stands opposite the pits which is a great place to watch the cars fly down the pit straight as well as the goings on in the garages.
You can get a good view from the inside of Ford chicane, but it's a bit of a long walk there and back, since there's no way to get to the other side of the track. I've only been down there at night, so I don't know how busy it is during daylight.
Porsche curves is alright, it's high up, but you really only get to see the one corner and I don't think there's a screen there. The travel destinations campground on the outside Porsche curves used to have public access but now it's cut off unless you're staying there.
Definitely bring sunscreen, bring water (plastic bottles), though they may check to make sure it's not 1.5l of vodka or something. There's plenty of places to get food, water, and beer etc at the village, so as long as you've got money you'll be OK. Lineups can be long at toilets and food places around mealtimes, but there's usually some tucked away toilets just far enough from the beer that they don't get as busy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm not like a veteran or anything, but I've been going for about 10 years now minus covid.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh if you need to hit decathlon for camping stuff, go to one outside of greater le mans if you can because anything near the track close to race weekend will be gutted.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

Oh if you need to hit decathlon for camping stuff, go to one outside of greater le mans if you can because anything near the track close to race weekend will be gutted.

Thankfully i have a decathlon in my town, i'll have to play tetris with the suitcase and mountaineering backpack(which i hope inoui won't throw a hissy fit on, they looks as bad as ryan air on bags) to fit a folding chair into it.

Edit: Maybe we might want to set up a imessage/whatsapp/telegram group chat for people onsite so we can find each other out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Thankfully i have a decathlon in my town, i'll have to play tetris with the suitcase and mountaineering backpack(which i hope inoui won't throw a hissy fit on, they looks as bad as ryan air on bags) to fit a folding chair into it.

Edit: Maybe we might want to set up a imessage/whatsapp/telegram group chat for people onsite so we can find each other out.

If you're fine being on your feet/standing for most of the day, you can get away with not having a folding chair. If you can get one of those compact lightweight Helinox (or store brand equivalent) chairs, it'll be less of a burden to slog around like a full sized chair. I can't remember if I brought one last year. I don't think I did, as I was travelling as light as possible.

Barring any digital communications, anyone there this year is welcome to come to Tetre Rouge bar Sunday after the race. I'll be sat up on the wall by the tunnel watching everyone leave, getting drunk, as is tradition.

E- in years past, relying on messaging apps has been hit and miss. Maybe they've upgraded the cellular infrastructure around the track, but you're sharing a tower with hundreds of thousands of people sending "I'm here where are you" a million times during the race and as a result, message delivery can be quite delayed. It's still better than nothing though, just bear it in mind.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 5, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

If you're fine being on your feet/standing for most of the day, you can get away with not having a folding chair. If you can get one of those compact lightweight Helinox (or store brand equivalent) chairs, it'll be less of a burden to slog around like a full sized chair. I can't remember if I brought one last year. I don't think I did, as I was travelling as light as possible.

Barring any digital communications, anyone there this year is welcome to come to Tetre Rouge bar Sunday after the race. I'll be sat up on the wall by the tunnel watching everyone leave, getting drunk, as is tradition.

My problem is that i'm traveling by train (green ticket, FML) so luggage room is a luxury, i'll go see if i can find a foldable chair small enough to fit in my luggage while being able to fit my girth. Otherwise plan b is my usual backpacking combo of yoga mat and beach towels which can fit easily.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

My problem is that i'm traveling by train (green ticket, FML) so luggage room is a luxury, i'll go see if i can find a foldable chair small enough to fit in my luggage while being able to fit my girth. Otherwise plan b is my usual backpacking combo of yoga mat and beach towels which can fit easily.

That's a good plan B, or maybe even plan A since you can use it to have a lie down and nap.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm another first timer to Le Mans (but not endurance races) flying in from Los Angeles and then coming into Le Mans by train from Caen the morning of the race. Have a tiny airbnb in the city center that cost me an arm and a leg. I paid the extra 46 euro to have access to the ACO members area to try to avoid having to buy/haul a chair around and hopefully get some wifi access, we will see if my plan is succesful.

I booked my train out of Le Mans like an hour before the race actually ends (there weren't great options with my railpass), so bit of a bummer. Have every appendage in my body crossed that the strikes in europe stay at bay for June lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cygni posted:

I'm another first timer to Le Mans (but not endurance races) flying in from Los Angeles and then coming into Le Mans by train from Caen the morning of the race. Have a tiny airbnb in the city center that cost me an arm and a leg. I paid the extra 46 euro to have access to the ACO members area to try to avoid having to buy/haul a chair around and hopefully get some wifi access, we will see if my plan is succesful.

I booked my train out of Le Mans like an hour before the race actually ends (there weren't great options with my railpass), so bit of a bummer. Have every appendage in my body crossed that the strikes in europe stay at bay for June lol.

I've found a residence room using booking.com that costed me 2k€ for 8-12 jun. I'm still kicking myself for not booking earlier (and losing access to pits or grandstands) and not get milked so badly.

I will have to go Trieste-Milan(night stop in Milan), Milan-Lyon, Lyon-lemans with the lyon-lemans leg on inoui which scares me to the bone, since i've never used them(never been to France) and they have the weirdest boarding restrictions i've ever seen.