Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm going to buy the DLC just because it doesn't actually look optional. There's never really been any reason not to have a dozen science ships with scientists in the early game and I don't think anything is going to change that, all protestations to the contrary.

I'm assuming from the changes that science ships aren't going to require a scientist onboard anymore. It would go against their less quantity, more quality shift they're going for with leaders

E: although now that I think about it, that would signify a big change to a bunch of the events so probably not

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I'm assuming from the changes that science ships aren't going to require a scientist onboard anymore. It would go against their less quantity, more quality shift they're going for with leaders

I'm fairly sure that's completely wrong, as there's Assist Research stuff, survey bonuses etc still.

They just said that science ship spam isn't as viable anymore.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah leaders look to have scaling upkeep and then whatever the penalty for going over the soft cap is (probably further increased upkeep), so I assume at least early you’ll be relatively limited just by unity if nothing else.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Time to do the one trick, maximum empathy for maximum Unity. Fanatic Egalitarian Xenophiles with shared burdens

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'll be happy not to have a handful of governors, a bunch of admirals, a general and a mile long sheet of scientists. Especially how bad the leader screen UI is without a mod to shrink the size of the leaders down to at most half.

Anno
May 10, 2017

My only disappointment is that this was the perfect time to make envoys into proper characters. Remove generals if you have to have only four types.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Kind of excited for what this might mean for Progenitor Hives. It's by far my favourite empire to play and all these souped up leaders could be a pretty big deal considering how fast they level up in the current game. Having a high tier admiral with all the new perks could be a pretty impactful on the early game, and the scientist track to buff Assist Research could mean pretty strong planetary buffs for them too.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 29, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How do you counter torpedoes in the new meta? Does point defense actually work against them? Strike craft?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

How do you counter torpedoes in the new meta? Does point defense actually work against them? Strike craft?

Lots of point defense. Strike Craft no longer pick off missiles/torpedos.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Definitely think it would be cool to see the Master of Orion leader scheme more implemented. System they have is neat in theory but in practice doesn't work out very well because just requires too much leader micromanagement. Which is probably a symptom of a game itself. A lot of the systems they have are cool to start with but don't scale very well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Filboid Studge posted:

Had a weird start recently in MP. Started without any missile tech (nuclear missiles not an option) and didn’t get any until the level 2 ones showed up in debris. It’s like 2270 now and I still don’t have frigates!
For what it’s worth I’ve been getting that too, I’ve had trouble getting basic missile tech to show up in multiple games.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dallan Invictus posted:

yeah but it would nonetheless be nice if more Stellaris "negative traits" had positive tradeoffs like CK traits do

This is all I'm asking for

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EKHH3kLKFU

Yup, that obelisk thingy is indeed one of the legendary leaders. Pretty cool, and more psionic love is always appreciated.

I have to say, Stellaris right now is a ton of fun. AI is no longer totally braindead, a lot of messy systems have been cleaned up by the Custodians, and new content is generally quite good. I recently learned that the Zroni Stormcaster with the archotech ascension perk has the effect of reducing enemy ship hp by 10% per day! And that's max hp, meaning no matter how tough an enemy ship is, it's destroyed in just ten days. That's so crazy. This effect goes down to 1% per day if the fleet is in combat, but that still makes the stormcaster an absolutely incredible tool to hold a chokepoint system.

I also tried out the Baol unique building with an angler focused race, and it's quite powerful. I did genetic ascension, so the food was welcome, and with the consumer goods production from anglers plus the increased trade value and the trade policy that turns some of the trade value into consumer goods, I could get by with like 10% as many artisans as I usually have, which meant I had so many more pops producing alloys.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dallan Invictus posted:

yeah but it would nonetheless be nice if more Stellaris "negative traits" had positive tradeoffs like CK traits do
That's why I'm all "What are negative traits for?" Right now they're not "for" anything. There's no obvious game need that exists that someone went "Hmm, the solution for this would probably be best implemented as some form of negative trait system." They persist because they already existed, and everything they're used for is post-hoc justification for them to continue existing rather than fulfilling a game need that would be obvious if they were absent. If they're is a game need they were designed for then either they're bad at solving it or have become bad at solving it due to the iterative design process over the past X years.

When developing the new system they hopefully threw out everything and started from scratch, and the reason there's this "negative trait potential" is because they were working on their system, identified one or more game needs, thought "Hmm, the solution for this would probably be best implemented as some form of negative trait system", designed one by starting with the identified game need and filling from there, and did a cool and excellent job that makes gaining negative traits a net benefit fun-and-gameplay-wise.

What I'm worried happened is they said "OK, so how do we fit negative traits into this" and worked from there, because that's not a recipe for good game.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 30, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

Birb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpcVmBIad0

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

omg it's Captain America bird

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They need to start hiring a few in-house writers to produce alt-history and Stellaris lore novels like the Black Library for WH40k. I would read a book about that bird.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm assuming there's more to espionage than "gather information" and "steal relic," but I can't figure it out. Is there a specific expansion pack or civic that enables more options?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, expanded espionage options are gated under the Nemesis expansion. They still aren't really worthwhile, since they all cost a chunk of Influence and give such wonderful bonuses as "target's federation loses 20 Cohesion" or "target empire suffers an Envoy Event". Steal Technology is kinda neat, but I've never once bothered with espionage after they changed it to cost Influence instead of money. It still costs money anyway, as an upkeep until the mission is over.

Nemesis also includes the whole Become the Crisis and Galactic Custodian mechanics, which are actually pretty fun.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Guess I'll see how steep the discount is with Paragons.

Anno
May 10, 2017

If you want to do better than like 30% off anymore I feel like you either need to watch for special key site deals through something like isthereanydeal, wait multiple years (at which point the discount seems to cap at 50%) or wait for some kind of bundle. 20% looks like the standard Nemesis discount on Steam the last couple of years.

This expansion will release alongside an anniversary event so maybe there will be some extra deals, though.

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 30, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Yeah, expanded espionage options are gated under the Nemesis expansion. They still aren't really worthwhile, since they all cost a chunk of Influence and give such wonderful bonuses as "target's federation loses 20 Cohesion" or "target empire suffers an Envoy Event". Steal Technology is kinda neat, but I've never once bothered with espionage after they changed it to cost Influence instead of money. It still costs money anyway, as an upkeep until the mission is over.

Nemesis also includes the whole Become the Crisis and Galactic Custodian mechanics, which are actually pretty fun.

There is an unlockable "blow up the enemies home world star unless they complete a situation."

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Which will never actually complete because unless you're already occupying their star during wartime, it's trivially easy to stop. Hell, with new cloaking mechanics, it's probably still doable with an enemy fleet parked on it.

edit: I will say, most of these espionage options sound a lot more viable in a multiplayer game, like slowing down the growth of a federation that's actually competitive with yours. Planting an easily defuse-able bomb on their home star would be a very funny way to antagonize a player.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 30, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

Finishing up (yet another) Remnants rogue servitor run trying out a couple new mods. I've come away very impressed with Shroud Rising. This could easily be incorporated into the base game and you'd barely notice the difference - well written events, crazy bespoke graphics stuff, the AI plays well with the unique mechanics, it's great. Easy recommendation if you want a new mid/late game crisis.

Also reminded that this is the only 4x that I’ve played much that’s ever done the world congress thing that's actually interesting and good. I love the galactic community, though I think with new resolutions and whatnot being added it might be time to decrease some of the wait times a bit.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 1, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Anno posted:

Also reminded that this is the only 4x that's every done the world congress thing that's actually interesting and good. I love the galactic community, though I think with new resolutions and whatnot being added it might be time to decrease some of the wait times a bit.

I dunno, I always enjoyed the Planetary Council for SMAC. It could pass some pretty hefty and meaningful resolutions, and bribing/horse trading other faction leaders to get their support was fun.

Anno
May 10, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

I dunno, I always enjoyed the Planetary Council for SMAC. It could pass some pretty hefty and meaningful resolutions, and bribing/horse trading other faction leaders to get their support was fun.

Tbh I’ve played very little SMAC. I didn’t get in to map games until Anno 1404 and then Civ V and have had a hard time committing a lot of playtime towards most older games.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 1, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Anno posted:

Tbh I’ve played very little SMAC. I didn’t get in to map games until Anno 1404 and then Civ V and have had a hard time committing a lot of playtime towards most older games.

It was my favorite game as a kid/young teen, and got me into so many philosophy books that were way ahead of my level! In retrospect, perhaps my impression of it and the systems are clouded by nostalgia and one's impression as a kid, but :shrug:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

It was my favorite game as a kid/young teen, and got me into so many philosophy books that were way ahead of my level! In retrospect, perhaps my impression of it and the systems are clouded by nostalgia and one's impression as a kid, but :shrug:

Everything I've seen of it is a very cool game, stylistically, that successfully took the Civ formula and made an actual narrative out of it with interesting characters. However, every time I've tried playing it I bounce right off the abysmal UI. It's very much a product of its time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Espionage operation to blow up the sun has to be a Deep Space Nine reference.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DrSunshine posted:

Honestly same. I poached my dad's SMAC disc (not that he really cares because he ripped it all and went digital copies on a local NAS forever ago)

Oh yeah and it's me again, and I am proud to announce I secured a victory, as a determined exterminator machine intelligence even. I found the playstyle just clicked with me more, so, y'know. That helped

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

this should give every other empire a "make them pay" total war cb on you

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Xenophile/Genetic-ascended empires should be allowed to clone Bubbles or otherwise be able to engage in space amoeba husbandry.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fanatic Xenophile space should feel weird. Ranch Tiyanki that you've pacified, void clouds harnessed to your whims, crystalline entities going about their mysterious business.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I have to say, Stellaris right now is a ton of fun. AI is no longer totally braindead, a lot of messy systems have been cleaned up by the Custodians, and new content is generally quite good. I recently learned that the Zroni Stormcaster with the archotech ascension perk has the effect of reducing enemy ship hp by 10% per day! And that's max hp, meaning no matter how tough an enemy ship is, it's destroyed in just ten days. That's so crazy. This effect goes down to 1% per day if the fleet is in combat, but that still makes the stormcaster an absolutely incredible tool to hold a chokepoint system.

I was gonna say, the Storm Caster sure as hell didn't do that in my game, but I missed the bit about Archeo-Engineers (and DLC gating according to the wiki). It takes what, like 16 days to traverse the smallest possible system? That's absurdly broken lol

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 1, 2023

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I was gonna say, the Storm Caster sure as hell didn't do that in my game, but I missed the bit about Archeo-Engineers (and DLC gating according to the wiki). It takes what, like 16 days to traverse the smallest possible system? That's absurdly broken lol

stick it in a neutron star trinary system lmao

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
The wiki is missing a decimal point. It's 0.10% per day...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ that makes considerably more sense

HelloSailorSign posted:

stick it in a neutron star trinary system lmao

In a game I started recently, there was a system two jumps away from my home system that had two -50% speed modifiers, meaning it took years to traverse the thing. I eventually just gave up on that game because it was too irritating. Could have gone around it but couldn't stop ships from trying to path through it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

PittTheElder posted:

Could have gone around it but couldn't stop ships from trying to path through it

If you zoom into a system you can click a button on the bottom center bar to forbid ships from entering. Useful for marauder or leviathan systems you're not ready to gently caress with too.

Less nice when VLUUR shows up and you can't zoom into the system to unforbid it but that's a relatively rare situation at least.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

That feature saves my rear end every time I spawn near marauders and my territory surrounds them. I've lost Bubbles more than once because I didn't double-check that it didn't path through deadly territory on the way home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

isndl posted:

If you zoom into a system you can click a button on the bottom center bar to forbid ships from entering. Useful for marauder or leviathan systems you're not ready to gently caress with too.

Less nice when VLUUR shows up and you can't zoom into the system to unforbid it but that's a relatively rare situation at least.

It does not work if you already own the system unfortunately

E: wtf does VLUUR even do, I see the popup all the time but have never noticed it actually do anything

E2: oh I'm supposed to shoot it? I thought it was literally space weather lol. Can you farm the ever elusive cloud lightning from it?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 2, 2023