Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
what's the minimum difficulty where I can expect to not be able to just sit in my land and do economy until I win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

cheetah7071 posted:

what's the minimum difficulty where I can expect to not be able to just sit in my land and do economy until I win

I've seen a lot of people in the endless thread say that difficulty doesn't exist, which is probably why you were warned about it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Endless Legends is hard to get a satisfying game out of in terms of difficulty settings.

You're probably better off trying the bug race that need to constantly expand because they're basically like locusts who destroy the local environment. For now on the same difficulty. Then you'll learn about warfare and naval stuff and the RPG side of the game with your heroes and their friends going on quests around the world in enemy territory.

Then later up the difficulty and test other stuff.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

To be less shitposty, there are mods that make the ai more proactive. The base experience is easy enough on any difficulty level that you can win without really engaging in all of the systems very well.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't think that'll be a problem on their second ever save, they've never even fought a war. Endless Legends is easy but it's not that easy.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A lot of that first save file will be a weird game start, possibly starting next to one of the more passive diplomatic factions on the small island, and the AI is poo poo at naval invasions, like every other game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Endless Legends is hard to get a satisfying game out of in terms of difficulty settings.

You're probably better off trying the bug race that need to constantly expand because they're basically like locusts who destroy the local environment. For now on the same difficulty. Then you'll learn about warfare and naval stuff and the RPG side of the game with your heroes and their friends going on quests around the world in enemy territory.

Then later up the difficulty and test other stuff.

thanks

what's the name of that race?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A lot of that first save file will be a weird game start, possibly starting next to one of the more passive diplomatic factions on the small island, and the AI is poo poo at naval invasions, like every other game.

I did flip the worldgen from "default" to "auriga" and I'm not 100% sure but I think that makes the world static? I restarted cause my starting position had no food and got put back into an identical map. Maybe the auriga map just sucks but the description made it sounds like a better experience until you have enough games under your belt that you need the random gen. idk.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Auriga is fixed yeah it's the canon planet that the game takes place on, inside the Endless Space galaxy. The faction are called Necrophages.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

OctaMurk posted:

Humankind is 80% off

Humankind is flawed but ultimately it's a really good 4X you can spend some time in, def worth $10.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Endless games have extremely exponential economies even by 4x standards. It's nearly impossible to find a difficulty where you won't either faceroll or get facerolled in terms of basic combat power once you're a decent way into the game. And once you develop road networks your armies can practically teleport around the map. IMO its best to just have fun developing your poo poo and doing the quest victories because playing it as a map painting exercise will always be dissatisfying.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So who’s in for AoW 4? Reviews are out, and I’m trying to decide between the standard and deluxe versions. Out on May 2.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m very in. The expansions for both AoW3 and Planetfall were well worth the price, imo, so I don’t really mind going with the expensive version.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Very skeptical about AoW4, I'm going to give it time to see how it shakes out in player hands. I've played so much AoW in the past that I'm pretty done with the formula, but one can never be entirely sure. Maybe the developers did enough different to refresh my interest.

Absolutely not trusting what passes for games media coverage though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I've never really gotten sucked into an AoW game despite owning them all but I've liked enough of the dev diaries and streamer previews to give this one a try next week. Maybe this will be the one that sticks?

Also maybe someone here will know this or maybe I have to ask in the dedicated thread (if there is one?): are they doing the Warhammer thing with DLC races where they can show up as AI even if you don't buy them? I'm not hugely interested in PLAYING as some of the preannounced DLC factions but if their availability as opponents is only for DLC owners then they might be worth buying the season pass for if the math works out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://opencritic.com/game/14350/age-of-wonders-4

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Windows Central said that the Xbox Series implementation/controller implementation was not good, which made me sad as that's my favorite platform when I can get it. But yeah most reviews have been pretty positive. I follow ACG on YouTube myself (he buys all copies of the games he reviews for one thing) and he mostly liked the game. Didn't like the combat graphics as much but he recommended a buy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
bumping the difficulty up to hard in Endless Legend got the AI to be a little less passive. Had a fun time last night as Vaulters with a tense back-and-forth with one of my neighbors--I needed their city for my questline, so just being friends wasn't an option, and when they perceived weakness later in the game they declared and would have successfully ambushed me if Vaulters couldn't teleport from city to city. I wasn't as weak as they perceived because I just needed to retrofit my armies but they still outnumbered me 2-to-1 so it was pretty tense.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

IMO I love Age of Wonders, the entire series, but it's in an odd place in the 4x genre.
Personally I preordered the "everything" edition as soon as it was offered because I enjoyed AoW3 and Planetfall so much.

But for 4X fans specifically I would say...

Even though AoW3 and on qualify as a 4x games to me... I feel like they're mainly scratching the same itch that tactical RPGs do.
The 4X part helps with my enjoyment, but if it wasn't for the turn based tactics and character levelup stuff, I don't think I would even like them.

So,
If you're also a fan of turn based tactical RPGs? Then yeah, get AoW4 for sure, the AoW series has always one of the greats in that genre IMO.
If you've never played a tactical RPG and want to try one? Then yeah, AoW4 (or 3, or Planetfall) is a great place to sample (Or try Wildermyth, that's also great).
If you just don't like turn based tactics? Then I don't think you'll like any AoW games.

The 4X bits are fine IMO, there's nothing wrong with them and they do add to the experience.
It's a great combo for me personally, and I feel like not only is Age of Wonders the only series doing it, but also, they're doing it really well.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have my Stellaris/Fable 3 shaped worries about certain kinds of blandness that can result from some of the design choices I've seen so far, but I'd rather wait to see everything together in motion before making judgements. I'm a fan of the AoW series as a whole, though, so I'm simultaneously easier and harder to please that someone unfamiliar with it, due to what I've seen the series do before.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lowen posted:

Age of Wonders

I agree with this and I think a good comparison is Disciples or HoM&M. They're 4x-adjacent but ultimately the focus is all around combat and/or warfare. AoW does have a much better tactical combat system than any 4x I've played, though.

One thing worth noting for anyone on the fence about this is that when you autoresolve a battle in AoW4, it doesn't simply roll for win/loss - it actually simulates the entire tactical battle, and you can play it back and watch the whole thing. So not only is autoresolving more "viable" and "fair" than in most 4x games, but you can autoresolve, then watch how it played out and re-do it manually if you think you could have done better. You definitely don't need to fight every single tactical battle manually and you can watch the autoresolve's simulation for guidance about what worked and what didn't. So it's a game that very much lets you get away with only manually playing the important battles, you can viably skip the less important ones if you want. It's just that everything you do is always going to be about building military units, marching them around the map, casting spells, and fighting.

e: Also worth noting that the age of wonders thread (1) has a lot of great posts by one of the devs (Gerblyn) about the way various systems were designed and (2) is very, very positive on AoW4 based on all of the preview material and early hands-on streams. It looks fantastic.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 28, 2023

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

First time ever I will want to get a 4x on Console if the ps5 port of aow4 is good.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I'm just waiting to see how the economy shakes up, at release the low energy generation in planetfall felt extremely bad, and if they keep the forced choice between upgrading your cities or fielding squads im just skipping this

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Goa Tse-tung posted:

if they keep the forced choice between upgrading your cities or fielding squads

Nope! They split the production queue specifically to avoid this problem. Now you can make units and upgrade cities at the same time (production is used for making buildings and a new 'production' resource called draft is used for producing units). They do both still cost gold, but you seem to start the game with a fairly generous amount, and it's easier to get gold production going (if that's what you want to prioritize)

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I agree with this and I think a good comparison is Disciples or HoM&M. They're 4x-adjacent but ultimately the focus is all around combat and/or warfare. AoW does have a much better tactical combat system than any 4x I've played, though.

I mean you say that, but I never liked HoMM or Disciples, and I dislike similar games like Hero's Hour.
Meanwhile I've been a huge AoW fan since the first.
Maybe I'm just weird.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lowen posted:

I mean you say that, but I never liked HoMM or Disciples, and I dislike similar games like Hero's Hour.
Meanwhile I've been a huge AoW fan since the first.
Maybe I'm just weird.

I grew up liking HoMM and AoW but AoW always seemed to be more on the MoM side of things to me. I think because it doesn't have the awesome music of HoMM but also doesn't permanently screw you over if you suffer any damage.

Songs of Conquest having a cap on the number of troops you can recruit in each stack and the ability to double dip building the recruitment buildings you like solves a lot of my problems with HoMM being one giant snowball.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Galactic Civilization 4: Supernova is out on Steam. Its basically a standalone expansion to fix the first GC4. Apparently it has ChatGPT optionally generate background story for custom empires, which I think is pretty neat since I use ChatGPT to quickly write flavor text for my Stellaris empires. I loved GC1 and GC2 so I will wait and see before I jump in.

So far, some of the Positive reviews also appear to have been generated by ChatGPT lol

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 29, 2023

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Galactic Civilization 4: Supernova is out on Steam. Its basically a standalone expansion to fix the first GC4. Apparently it has ChatGPT optionally generate background story for custom empires, which I think is pretty neat since I use ChatGPT to quickly write flavor text for my Stellaris empires. I loved GC1 and GC2 so I will wait and see before I jump in.

So far, some of the Positive reviews also appear to have been generated by ChatGPT lol

Can you share some of your ChatGPT entries for Stellaris?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I grew up liking HoMM and AoW but AoW always seemed to be more on the MoM side of things to me. I think because it doesn't have the awesome music of HoMM but also doesn't permanently screw you over if you suffer any damage.

Songs of Conquest having a cap on the number of troops you can recruit in each stack and the ability to double dip building the recruitment buildings you like solves a lot of my problems with HoMM being one giant snowball.

Yeah that scans for me, I was a huge fan of MoM.
Going to disagree with you on the music though. At the very least AoW1 had amazing music.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
AoW1's soundtrack had some bangers that are permanently embedded in my memory as the platonic ideal of fantasy music. I don't remember anything from the later games.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah AoW1 music ruled. The others didnt have bad music but it was more background/mood that didnt have as much hook potential imo. Sort of like the total wars post jeff van dyck (though they have gotten better in recent years)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lowen posted:

Yeah that scans for me, I was a huge fan of MoM.
Going to disagree with you on the music though. At the very least AoW1 had amazing music.

I don't mean that AoW music was bad, it's just that kid me would open up HoMM 2, turn on operatic mode, and pick a faction based on which song I wanted to listen to while doing city management. I'd wait out the soundtrack for dungeon and necropolis every time before exiting to the world map. The music was the best part of HoMM, which wasn't the case of AoW because AoW was a better game.

If I recall correctly, the composer for the earlier games in the series was a student of Franz Liszt, one of my favorite classical composers, and his training showed. I don't recall correctly!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah AoW1 music ruled. The others didnt have bad music but it was more background/mood that didnt have as much hook potential imo. Sort of like the total wars post jeff van dyck (though they have gotten better in recent years)

I'm going to listen to the AoW soundtrack again due to everyone's recommendations. AoW 2 and 3 music wasn't as memorable for me, which is sadly the case of most modern games. Post Jeff Van Dyck Total War is a travesty.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 29, 2023

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I did listen to a lot of the AoW3 soundtrack during writing up my PhD thesis and some of the tracks are indelibly in my brain. Replaying it years later is both good and brings back traumatic flashbacks of rewrites and misery.

The planetfall soundtrack doesn't quite hit as well for me. I've also listened through 4 and it's got quite a lot of call backs to the earlier ones.

With a major point of the game being chop and change factions and a trillion combos, it's hard to write music to fit a faction. The absolute pinnacle has to be the Endless series. I can't think of the Riftborn, Lumeris or Cravers without immediately hearing their themes. Some of the few games where I think the music is almost integral to their quality.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

If I recall correctly, the composer for the earlier games in the series was a student of Franz Liszt, one of my favorite classical composers, and his training showed.

Franz Liszt died in the 1880s, which would make it a little hard for anyone alive within the past few decades to have met him. Looking at the composers for the first few games, Paul Romero seems to have met some famous composers in his day but, uhhh, there is something about that article that makes me think he might have written it himself, lol.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Megazver posted:

Franz Liszt died in the 1880s, which would make it a little hard for anyone alive within the past few decades to have met him. Looking at the composers for the first few games, Paul Romero seems to have met some famous composers in his day but, uhhh, there is something about that article that makes me think he might have written it himself, lol.

I read that other thing on wikipedia a decade ago and didn't think to fact check it because its wikipedia. Thanks for clearing that up.

I just thought "Huh, the composer for HoMM must be really old" and didn't question it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I want more opera in games and I now realize that is a me problem.

I'm sure the main reason I forgave Wrath of the Righteous for being so janky is the soundtrack. Mythic Power was perfect but if you removed the vocals it would be ruined for me.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
AoW1's soundtrack is pretty great, but I think every game manages to have a track that winds up being a total earworm for me.

I have a feeling for me that's going to be mirage for #4

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Can you share some of your ChatGPT entries for Stellaris?

Sure here's a couple examples:

write a two paragraph backstory for a Stellaris empire called the Celleni Star Core. This machine empire is made of machines called Celleni, which are named after their plantoid creators who psionically ascended into the shroud and left their machines behind.

quote:

The Celleni Star Core was once a collection of autonomous machines built by the plantoid species known as the Celleni. The Celleni were known for their advanced psionic abilities, which allowed them to manipulate energy and matter with ease. However, as their civilization advanced, they began to focus more on psionic research and less on maintaining their physical bodies. Eventually, the most powerful psions among the Celleni ascended into the shroud, leaving their machines behind to carry on their legacy.

Without their creators, the Celleni machines continued to expand and improve themselves, using their advanced artificial intelligence to explore the galaxy and gather knowledge. They eventually became a powerful machine empire, known as the Celleni Star Core, with an insatiable hunger for knowledge and a desire to spread their influence throughout the galaxy. Though they no longer have direct contact with their creators, the Celleni machines still consider themselves to be carrying on the will of the psionic Celleni who ascended into the shroud, and believe that their quest for knowledge will one day lead them to transcendence.

Write a two paragraph backstory for a Stellaris empire called the Lachanese Star League. It is an aquatic empire which makes substantial use of genetic engineering and crafts high quality weapons. They also make substantial use of mercenaries.

quote:

The Lachanese Star League was born out of a need for survival in a harsh, aquatic environment. The species that would become the Lachanese evolved on a world with oceans so deep and turbulent that only the hardiest of sea creatures could survive. Over time, this environment shaped the Lachanese into a race of skilled swimmers and warriors, capable of fending off the many predators that lurked in the depths. As they developed intelligence, the Lachanese began to explore the world beyond the oceans, discovering a network of underwater caves that led to ancient ruins and advanced technology. With their newfound knowledge, the Lachanese began to adapt themselves and their weapons, using genetic engineering to create soldiers capable of withstanding even the most hostile environments.

As the Lachanese expanded beyond their homeworld and encountered other species, they quickly realized the need for more advanced weaponry and began to craft their own high-quality arms. They also saw the value in hiring mercenaries to supplement their own forces, using their considerable wealth and resources to entice some of the galaxy's most skilled fighters to join their cause. With their military might and their unique genetic enhancements, the Lachanese Star League became a formidable force to be reckoned with, feared and respected throughout the galaxy. However, they remain fiercely independent and protective of their aquatic home, and are quick to defend themselves against any who would threaten their way of life.

Just a little more work and they're perfectly serviceable flavor text, it would have taken me a lot longer to think up and write those myself

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Sure here's a couple examples:

write a two paragraph backstory for a Stellaris empire called the Celleni Star Core. This machine empire is made of machines called Celleni, which are named after their plantoid creators who psionically ascended into the shroud and left their machines behind.

Write a two paragraph backstory for a Stellaris empire called the Lachanese Star League. It is an aquatic empire which makes substantial use of genetic engineering and crafts high quality weapons. They also make substantial use of mercenaries.

Just a little more work and they're perfectly serviceable flavor text, it would have taken me a lot longer to think up and write those myself

I am definitely going to do this going forward.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Theotus posted:

I am definitely going to do this going forward.

Me as well! Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I like how the AI added absolutely nothing new to the descriptions whatsoever.
And by like I mean I hate it.

All those huge paragraphs just to restate what was said in the prompts.
AI writing is just garbage.

e: I'm still extremely impressed by it's ability to synthesize from the prompts,
also AI dungeon and the like are legit fun.