Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

People want to believe that, but here’s the thing: Musk has a huge IQ. He is measurably, scientifically, clinically and demonstrably the smartest person in any room anywhere. He can tell you the square root of your Amex card number at a glance. He can tell you, I don’t know – the square root of zinc.
Wow I didn't know that! Elon Musk FTW!

quote:

But self-driving cars will kill people!
Grow up.
lol

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1652361071376605190

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the anti-CRT stuff basically amounts to "we should only teach students the good things America did" which is really the position they should start from but they can't admit that America ever did anything bad in the first place so they're in a pickle

Conservatives don't like CRT because they understand that anyone who actually pays attention to the history of race in America will inevitably realize we did not do nearly enough war crimes to the South and its supporters after the civil war

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

“That is the woke mind virus, exactly,” Maher said, before lightly defending slavery as something practiced by many societies and endorsed in the Bible.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/TheMcKenziest/status/1652360621214822402?s=20

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

"win-win" lmao

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Elon simps stop being embarrassing human beings challenge

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Consummate Professional posted:

lmao they are so obsessed with vanity metrics

views are meaningless, especially since I’m sure they aren’t being reported correctly

the silent majority

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

when you have this many kids at least one of them is going to hate your guts, that's just statistics and you can't argue with math

Eh. My dad has four kids and six grandkids and we all love the poo poo out of him. Just luck, I guess.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

, but woke is a lie,

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

the "itunes" of articles

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

...how is this a "win-win"?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pretty sure some start-up tried to this not so long ago and pretty much immediately failed. I read an article mocking them.

edit: Also, Elon really, really wants that sweet bank info from people.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

It's incredible how bad all his ideas are, like this is the only thing that could make online long-form writing even less profitable.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

brugroffil posted:

“That is the woke mind virus, exactly,” Maher said, before lightly defending slavery as something practiced by many societies and endorsed in the Bible.

Mr Atheist (mis)citing the Bible in support of something heinous? He'll be an evangelical in no time.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

It's incredible how bad all his ideas are, like this is the only thing that could make online long-form writing even less profitable.

i am reminded of the death of George Washington, who died when his doctor basically sucked out all his blood.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Critical support for the vampire that killed George Washington

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Just a Moron posted:

Critical support for the vampire that killed George Washington

!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Can you imagine having a mass of sycophants with such intense but sincere delusions about you? I feel like it'd drive you to megalomania even if you weren't inclined in that direction

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

really struggling to see how this would work

Just a Twitter interstitial telling you to pay up before continuing? people can just copy+paste the URL or Google it though

some form of detecting Twitter referrals on site? definitely more than one click and offloads the e-commerce portion to the site

on-site Twitter overlay? that'd need api access, enjoy paying $10000 lol

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
also lol community notes on ads

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if it’s like 10c per article I could see maybe signing up for it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

if it’s like 10c per article I could see maybe signing up for it

And get 0.0000000001c after Elon's cut.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Between Elon, the API sub, the credit card company, and the processor taking a cut we're talking about what? $5/article minimum to make it worthwhile for big media companies?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

The article will be screenshotted in the replies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t imagine anyone paying more than 25c to read one article

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Woke Mind Virus posted:

The article will be screenshotted in the replies

Or just create a new account, eg 'NYT Free Version', and copy and paste its articles from their website.
Undermine charging to begin with.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

1glitch0 posted:

Pretty sure some start-up tried to this not so long ago and pretty much immediately failed. I read an article mocking them.

edit: Also, Elon really, really wants that sweet bank info from people.

I don’t think the richest man in the world wants to commit bank fraud or whatever you’re suggesting here :rolleyes:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I don’t think the richest man in the world wants to commit bank fraud or whatever you’re suggesting here :rolleyes:

the point of getting bank info from people is to reduce friction for other purchases like twitter blue, super follows, etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The articles have ads so. Maybe pay me 25c to read it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1652402392883769345?s=20

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/TomFitton/status/1652359885646864389?t=S3hEHSfCC0-wBah78xJB1Q&s=19

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

it is pretty cool that all the original social media company founders essentially have the same vision of "i want to build literal hell and force everyone to live there forever and serve me" but are going about it in slightly different ways.
anyone telling you to get a social media account is like burke from aliens who is luring people into a trap and you should waste him on sight

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

please Tom needs to buy larger shirts

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

500 good dogs posted:

the point of getting bank info from people is to reduce friction for other purchases like twitter blue, super follows, etc.

Ah. That makes sense.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

like a rent-seeking missile.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
yes make it all transactional. this is what the people want.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Trillhouse posted:

like a rent-seeking missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The internet has become a place where everyone want to be a loving toll booth for a glorified webring filled with next to zero original or interesting content.